Is the seventh day the Sabbath?

Is the seventh day not the same as the Sabbath?

• The Seventh day is God's continuous rest.

• The seventh is a day just as the previous "eveings and mornings" of Genesis 1.

• The bible clearly shows that the Seventh day is not The sabbath.

• The Seventh day is the Sabbath as clearly shown in Exodus 20:10.

• Not sure

• Don't know

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes its the Sabbath as scriptures are quite clear that the 7th day of the week is the Sabbath and the 1st day of the week is Sunday.

Jesus does provide us rest when we turn to him, but he is not the Sabbath Day.

I honestly dont think God cares if we worship him on Saturday or Sunday since we should be worshiping him everyday. Holy conivcations didnt come up in scriptures until Exodus & Leviticus and if we are going to use ex 12 & lev 23 to say meeting on the Sabbath is mandatory, that means the Sabbath AND the 7 Feast days are mandatory since they go hand in hand.

Upvote 0

Dunbar

Sep 22, 2012
Atlanta GA
✟626.00
Faith
Baptist
The 7th day is the Sabbath but if you think you can keep it by going to church or praying or not going to work you are sadly mistaken. Sabbath means 'rest' and that 'rest' is spiritual in nature. Jesus said come unto me all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. He was not talking about physical labor or physical rest. He wants us to surrender our lives of sin to him so he can cleanse us and give us a brand new life. Believing in Jesus is learning to 'rest' spiritually.

So many deluded Sabbath keepers work ten times harder on that day trying to keep all their worthless rules that they completely miss the spiritual aspect of the Sabbath. These kinds of Sabbath keepers do more harm than good and are actually polluting the Sabbath with their unbelief. There are far more Sunday Christians who are resting in Christ than Sabbath keeping Christians who worship the ten commandments.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

There is the premise here that the "seventh day" is not the Sabbath.
That it is the continuous rest of God.
Do you accept that from scripture?
It depends on a few particulars such as -

• What 7th day are you talking about?
  • What calendar are you using?
  • Are you attempting to say the 7th day of creation?
  • Are you talking about the Ten Commandments issued to Israel alone?
  • What kind of rest are you talking about?
  • What rest are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
where there is summer all year and sea all around
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 7th day is the Sabbath but if you think you can keep it by going to church or praying or not going to work you are sadly mistaken. Sabbath means 'rest' and that 'rest' is spiritual in nature. Jesus said come unto me all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. He was not talking about physical labor or physical rest. He wants us to surrender our lives of sin to him so he can cleanse us and give us a brand new life. Believing in Jesus is learning to 'rest' spiritually.

So many deluded Sabbath keepers work ten times harder on that day trying to keep all their worthless rules that they completely miss the spiritual aspect of the Sabbath. These kinds of Sabbath keepers do more harm than good and are actually polluting the Sabbath with their unbelief. There are far more Sunday Christians who are resting in Christ than Sabbath keeping Christians who worship the ten commandments.
Dunbar,
How can you say that the the Seventh day is the Sabbath that is referred to in Exodus 20:10 ans still maintain that it is not to be kept as the same Exodus 20 requires?

Upvote 0

Dunbar

Sep 22, 2012
Atlanta GA
✟626.00
Faith
Baptist
Dunbar,
How can you say that the the Seventh day is the Sabbath that is referred to in Exodus 20:10 ans still maintain that it is not to be kept as the same Exodus 20 requires?

Because we are not under the old covenant anymore. If your sole reason for observing the 7th day is from the law then you are a legalist.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dunbar,

Do you believe if someone doesn't observe the Sabbath, they will not go to heaven?

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because we are not under the old covenant anymore. If your sole reason for observing the 7th day is from the law then you are a legalist.
But the new covenant still contains the law! Where do you see the law removed from the new covenant? The fault was not with the law but with the people! Hebrews 8
8For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

from scratch

But the new covenant still contains the law! Where do you see the law removed from the new covenant? The fault was not with the law but with the people! Hebrews 8
8For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
How can you say this and maintain the covenant isn't the law?

Upvote 0

Dunbar

Sep 22, 2012
Atlanta GA
✟626.00
Faith
Baptist

The law of the new covenant is Love or 'agape'. It is written in the heart and nothing like the old law of stone. It is received by faith in Christ not by trying to be perfect and failing time and time again. God will let you try to get righteousness out of your sinful flesh but it won't be a pleasant experience.

Love is the fulfillment of the law - Rom. 13:10

Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill all the requirements of God's law. For the commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are all summed up in this one commandment: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfilling of the law." {Romans 13:8-10 NIV, NLT}

It seems pretty clear in that passage that when Paul says, "love is the fulfilling of the law," that he's not saying love takes the place of keeping the law, but that love will lead us, or enable us, to keep the law.

He makes pretty much the same point in chapter 3, only there it's faith that's emphasized as enabling us to keep the law:

"Well then, if we emphasize faith, does that mean we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law." {Romans 3:31 NLT}

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Elder 111
The law of the new covenant is Love or 'agape'. It is written in the heart and nothing like the old law of stone. It is received by faith in Christ not by trying to be perfect and failing time and time again. God will let you try to get righteousness out of your sinful flesh but it won't be a pleasant experience.

You did not answer the question nor addressed the text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dunbar

Sep 22, 2012
Atlanta GA
✟626.00
Faith
Baptist
"If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill all the requirements of God's law. For the commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are all summed up in this one commandment: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfilling of the law." {Romans 13:8-10 NIV, NLT}

It seems pretty clear in that passage that when Paul says, "love is the fulfilling of the law," that he's not saying love takes the place of keeping the law, but that love will lead us, or enable us, to keep the law.

He makes pretty much the same point in chapter 3, only there it's faith that's emphasized as enabling us to keep the law:

"Well then, if we emphasize faith, does that mean we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law." {Romans 3:31 NLT}

If you have Love or 'agape' you have the righteousness of Christ which is the fulfillment of the law. This righteousness is automatic and without sin. If you are still trying to be good in human will power and filled with guilt and condemnation you do not have Love. The term 'love' is somewhat of a misnomer because the greek language had 4 words for love where English only has one. Agape is God's perfect love which is a reflection of his character. Phileo is human love the kind we are born with and is motivated by selfishness.

Upvote 0

Dunbar

Sep 22, 2012
Atlanta GA
✟626.00
Faith
Baptist

The new covenant is written in the heart not on stone. Paul said that Love is the fulfillment of the Law - Supreme love for God and unselfish love for our brother. There are no 'Thou shalt not's' in the new covenant. When you boil it all down there is really only one sin and that is being a legalist or unbeliever. As long as you don't do that you are fine and accepted by God.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Plenty added commentary in your quoted version of 3:31. fulfilling the law in the sense of loving isn't observing or keeping the law. The verse only shows that there isn't a violation of the law in loving.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Based on the text and emphasis you provided no honest person can provide the answer you seek.

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Elder 111 Originally Posted by Elder 111 But the new covenant still contains the law! Where do you see the law removed from the new covenant? The fault was not with the law but with the people! Hebrews 8
The new covenant is written in the heart not on stone. Paul said that Love is the fulfillment of the Law - Supreme love for God and unselfish love for our brother. There are no 'Thou shalt not's' in the new covenant. When you boil it all down there is really only one sin and that is being a legalist or unbeliever. As long as you don't do that you are fine and accepted by God.
You still did not address the text! I did not asked for your opinion!
By the way How does your remarks compare with God's words. Rev.22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
You notice anything about love only?

Upvote 0