Texas
✟18,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I was "saved" as a child. I grew up thinking I was saved. I believed in God and Jesus and believed that Jesus dies for my sins. I wanted more than anything to be saved. I have sinned and quit going to church for many years but still prayed and always asked myself "What would Jesus do?" Now, I go to church all the time, read the bible daily, witness and really try to have a closer relationship with God. I believe that I am saved by grace, through my faith. However, I still really do not feel the Holy Spirit in me. I want to more than anything and sometimes think I do but may only be imagining it.

In my husband's case, he was also saved as a child but quit going to church. He was a good man. He was the first to forgive, he had a huge heart, and he told people he believed in God. However, he did not pray regularly and never read the bible. I know he believed though. He passed away two years ago. I often cry because I cannot bear the thought that his being saved as a child may not have been enough if there were no faithworks after that.

When the bible says in Matthew that many will think they can enter but God will say he never knew them because they did not have a relationship with God, what does that mean? Is the relationship based only on faith? Is it true faith if there are no works after the fact? Is faith real if we cannot feel the Holy Spirit?

Sometimes, I feel so confused and a mess. I pray for clarity, but... I am just looking for insight.

Last edited:

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was "saved" as a child. I grew up thinking I was saved. I believed in God and Jesus and believed that Jesus dies for my sins. I wanted more than anything to be saved. I have sinned and quit going to church for many years but still prayed and always asked myself "What would Jesus do?" Now, I go to church all the time, read the bible daily, witness and really try to have a closer relationship with God. I believe that I am saved by grace, through my faith. However, I still really do not feel the Holy Spirit in me. I want to more than anything and sometimes think I do but may only be imagining it.

In my husband's case, he was also saved as a child but quit going to church. He was a good man. He was the first to forgive, he had a huge heart, and he told people he believed in God. However, he did not pray regularly and never read the bible. I know he believed though. He passed away two years ago. I often cry because I cannot bear the thought that his being saved as a child may not have been enough if there were no faithworks after that.

When the bible says in Matthew that many will think they can enter but God will say he never knew them because they did not have a relationship with God, what does that mean? Is the relationship based only on faith? Is it true faith if there are no works after the fact? Is faith real if we cannot feel the Holy Spirit?

Sometimes, I feel so confused and a mess. I pray for clarity, but... I am just looking for insight.

Sounds like you have been exposed to some very shaky teachings on salvation.

First if read carefully (especially in The Gospel of John) how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. Is not about faithworks or believing that Jesus dies on the cross, or died for your sins,etc.. Actually Jesus's death was for every single person ever born, because He Jesus took away the sin of the world.

What gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life is that a person believes in Jesus. What does that mean, to believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from prophecies of The Tanakh, That He Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, The Resurrection and the Life.

To trust in Jesus for Eternal Life, happens in a moment of time and means a person has become a born again child of God, who has crossed over from death to life. Never to cross back over to death from life they have become a permanent eternal born again child of God. It is not about feelings, because feelings come and go, but Eternal Life in a believer never leaves the person. Even if they stop believing and fall away from the faith.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the relationship based only on faith? Is it true faith if there are no works after the fact? Is faith real if we cannot feel the Holy Spirit?
I feel your heart.

You must seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit at all costs. Don't assume you have received this baptism. If you are unsure, then that shows you haven't. Also don't believe the popular notion that the baptism is accompanied with speaking in tongues. But when it happens you will know and you won't doubt. Seek this above all things and never stop asking, pleading and seeking until this baptism happens.

As for the verse in Matthew, yes, it's true it is based in a relationship, but also on obedience. We must walk righteously, according to the way the Father has taught us throughout His Word, not just the New Testament. This is what is means to know Him and to be known by Him. "I believe in Jesus" is not like a magic password to get into the Kingdom of God and people professing only this have nothing to hope upon, save His Mercy, because some will definitely be turned away.

Therefore, seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit, with your heart and strength, and walk according to the light and truth of the Word. By doing this you things we definitely get better. But be prepared to seek and walk for a while first. Don't lose patience and remain full faithful.

Peace to you.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"When the bible says in Matthew that many will think they can enter but God will say he never knew them because they did not have a relationship with God, what does that mean? Is the relationship based only on faith? Is it true faith if there are no works after the fact? Is faith real if we cannot feel the Holy Spirit?"

Ok lets touch this. For me what I read is Christ comes back to the earth and gathers the nations before Him. Those are all those that just came out of the great tribulation and splits them sheep and goats. Now when this is talked about used mostly to scare us they don't tell you about.. well what about all those that died already or died the day before Christ came back. Are they all safe since they are with the Father? Like the thief who Christ said "today you will be with me in paradise". Do all of them have to come back and stand before Christ and be judged again? You can really get lost here. :)

See for me according to what I read its those that just came out of the great tribulation and He says to one side I never new you. That means they were never once saved. He didn't know them once then they fell away and now He does not know them. He is not like man He means exactly what He says He never knew them. So when you or your husband got saved all the angels rejoiced and Christ told the Father about you and your husband. Same with me. So for me Christ would have to lie to say He never knew me.

We tend to only look at this one moment. As if I was saved a year ago and hard times came or what ever and I fall I stop going to Church I stop reading the bible. So we tend only look at that one moment. He sees the start from the end. To even say I am walking away from Christ. Really? You KNOW Him do you? Just gets silly. Salvation is not like some ball we can just drop any time we feel like it. This is a fallen world were Satan is the god of. We all fall we all goof up we all at times want to quit. He knows this..its why He died. He knew with out Him we all would never be saved. Its not based on how righteous you are or you never sin or you only sin now and then.. it just gets silly.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
because they did not have a relationship with God, what does that mean? Is the relationship based only on faith? Is it true faith if there are no works after the fact? Is faith real if we cannot feel the Holy Spirit?
What you feel is the freedom of escaping the bonds of the world man has made in our own image. Man in opposition to the will of God, has taken it upon ourselves to govern each other rather than allow God to do so. Allegiance to the world of man is complicated and burdensome and often involves gain in power for another at our own expense. Allegiance to God simply says put His will first which is to care fore each other as we would like to be cared for in times of need. Even an enemy will not be threatened by such behaviour. From that point on one belongs to a counter-culture that runs contrary to the world of man yet represents the old concept of peace and love.

That is the relationship with God, not man. It is an understanding our ways are backwards and lead only to hardship and woe, if not for ourselves then someone else because of us. Works can't bring salvation because man couldn't bring about the resurrection, but how we care for others in what we do is simply fulfilling the second commandment. Feeling the HS is more like being amazed we don't have to live under the burden of the self serving ways of mankind.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He takes your salvation very seriously.
Here is how you are saved and remain saved "if you keep in memory" the following.

1 Corinthians 15:1-5 KJV
1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2. By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

God is pleased by faith... so believe this, hold on to it, and keep it in your heart and mind. If the devil talks to you, just hit him with a "it is written" and then quote the above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Consider the thief on the cross that would join Jesus without having read scripture, prayed or did anything people are hung up on but He showed concern for another over self...

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was "saved" as a child. I grew up thinking I was saved. I believed in God and Jesus and believed that Jesus dies for my sins. I wanted more than anything to be saved. I have sinned and quit going to church for many years but still prayed and always asked myself "What would Jesus do?" Now, I go to church all the time, read the bible daily, witness and really try to have a closer relationship with God. I believe that I am saved by grace,! through my faith. However, I still really do not feel the Holy Spirit in me. I want to more than anything and sometimes think I do but may only be imagining it.

Relationship/union with God, based on our coming to know and accept the true God as our God, is our salvation. He is the only authentic source of true righteousness for man.

"This is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." John 17:3

I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,

and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbor,

or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.” Jer 31:33-34

Man is made for communion with God, and faith opens the door to that vital relationship. The question doesn't involve whether or not we're saved- as if we have to convince ourselves of that- as much as it involves the extent to which we simply know and love God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums