Is the Earth Flat?

Degrees of Earth flatness:

• It's not flat. It's a giant, spinning spaceball.

Votes: 90 82.6%
  • It's flat, but all the other planets are giant, spinning spaceballs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's flat, and a dome surrounds it.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • It's flat, a dome surrounds it, and the Earth is the center of the universe.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • It's flat, domed, and planets/stars are actually illusions/objects in the dome.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • It's all of the above, and the government is covering it all up at the behest of Satan.

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well to a true Christian the shape of the earth matters not a jot! But to the non-believer it could lend weight to another non-biblical narrative; namely one that ties in with extra-terrestrial life.
Now while I can't find any biblical reference that expressly confirms or denies the existence of other life forms outside of the earth; for me, the mere fact of looking or searching for these takes our focus off God. Whether your a Christian or not; whether you realize it or not; we have been programmed (for want of a better word) to accept the idea that there may be other life. I don't feel that adds to the story and purpose of what we're told in the Bible, and of our mission here on earth.

I wouldn’t say “programmed” just because people have reported sightings of UFOs and aliens and movies were made about them doesn’t mean that it is part of a conspiracy. People have been reporting unbelievable tales since creation. Dragons, sea serpents, Loch Ness Monster, werewolves, vampires, sasquatch, and countless others have been reported for thousands of years. These don’t take our focus off of God if anything Christians who believe in these things most likely prayed asking God to protect them from them.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lying is governments nature. The unusual from government is when they tell the truth.

Lying is human nature and every single person who ever lived except one has done it.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe evolution is a lie.

No I don’t believe it’s a lie, I believe it is a false deduction based on inaccurate information. A lie is an untruth that is intended to deceive not all untruths are intended to deceive. I believe that the theory of evolution is actually believed to be true by many people and if they actually believe it is true then their intention is not to deceive but instead to help others understand how life on this planet came to be.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can say the above about God's creation a stationary plain earth.

But yet turn around and say you believe water can magically adhere to a floating rotating sphere. That some how just floats out in nothing and moves at high rates of speed around a huge fire ball.

Really which one, really takes imagination to believe in, just like santa claus, the teaching of this globe earth starts at a young age when the mind is at its most accepting of fairy tales.

But you can also make observations to determine whether or not it’s true. The horizon is undeniable, many people just refuse to admit it. Do you think those who refuse to admit that the horizon exists are lying?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its called gravity. I used to put Hot Wheels cars in a plastic circular container and shake it back and forth and the car would climb the walls of the container. It's the same force that keeps us from floating off the earth and makes things fall.

Actually that’s centrifugal force which actually works against gravity. What people fail to understand is that the earth’s rotation is so slow that the amount of centrifugal force that is generated by the rotation of the planet is so minuscule that it’s impossible to detect. It’s not hard to test this theory. Simply get on a merry go round and spin it exactly the same speed as the hour hand on a clock. You’ll notice that you don’t feel any centrifugal force at all even tho your actual rotating 24 times faster than the planet. On top of that your making a much smaller circle which actually causes more centrifugal force than a much larger circle. Think of it as driving a car on the freeway at 60 miles per hour. Notice the curves on freeways are much wider turns because the car doesn’t experience as much centrifugal force pulling it off the road on a larger radius than a smaller radius. That’s why you can make a wide turn at 60 mph but not a sharp turn because the force is much greater on a small radius. That’s why when you turn the steering wheel slightly you feel a slight bit of centrifugal force and that force increases the more you turn the steering wheel because your making a tighter radius. So if you can’t feel any centrifugal force on a 15 foot diameter merry go round turning 24 times faster than the earth it would be absolutely impossible to feel anything on a 7,926 mile diameter merry go round rotating 1 revolution per day.

• Informative
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But you can also make observations to determine whether or not it’s true. The horizon is undeniable, many people just refuse to admit it. Do you think those who refuse to admit that the horizon exists are lying?

I make observations most every day when i see the sun, moon and stars moving above, across the raqia/heaven/sky, Just as stated in The Bible.

I also can look up into the raqia/heaven/sky and see the difference between the sun and stars. Just as The Bible states the sun is the sun and stars are not suns (light years away) but are lights created by God, that work with the moon to give light at night.
Which also brings up another observation that i see, is when the moon is out and it is not cloudy. And that observation is, the moon is a created light and not a reflector of the suns light, that produces and gives off its own light. That is stated as is in The Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thanks but I really don't intend to spend a lot of time looking into apologetics for the concept of a flat earth. Is Atlas holding it up or is it on the backs of turtles? The notion is too ridiculous to take seriously.
Fair enough.. However, if you want to know who or what is holding up the earth if it is flat.. You will actually have to look into it..

Otherwise you will be making ignorant ( in the sense of not educated ) comments like "how come we don't fall of the edge" and how do you sail around the flat earth" and " how do seasons work"?

If you are interested enough to read posts on a FE thread.... and actually take the time to comment on that thread.... Don't you think that you should at least take some time to look into it so that you don't sound ignorant?

Nobody should comment or ridicule ( not that you did ) or joke about any topic.... until they have actually educated themselves on the topic.

That goes for parenting, revelations, creation, diets, excersize, sports..... or the topic of the FE.

I know... it is dangerous to look into something such as the FE... what on earth would you do if it actually starts to make sense to you... I can understand why you wouldn't want to take that risk.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
His video explaining sunsets due to atmospheric lensing is completely wrong. He uses the half of the lense below the focal point, bending light upwards instead of downwards which is what actually happens with atmospheric lensing. I haven't watched any other videos of his as I assume they are of the same calibre.
Ya.... I guess all of his video's must be wrong... why bother actually taking the risk of watching them and finding that you cannot find one thing wrong with the majority of them.

Even if his one video is wrong.... it's a pretty condescending assumption to say that they are all wrong.

Again... I get it... You don't dare look into something at the risk that you find that the minority of people... the Tin Foil hatters.... have a good argument that you cannot dispute.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough.. However, if you want to know who or what is holding up the earth if it is flat.. You will actually have to look into it..

Otherwise you will be making ignorant ( in the sense of not educated ) comments like "how come we don't fall of the edge" and how do you sail around the flat earth" and " how do seasons work"?

If you are interested enough to read posts on a FE thread.... and actually take the time to comment on that thread.... Don't you think that you should at least take some time to look into it so that you don't sound ignorant?

Nobody should comment or ridicule ( not that you did ) or joke about any topic.... until they have actually educated themselves on the topic.

That goes for parenting, revelations, creation, diets, excersize, sports..... or the topic of the FE.

I know... it is dangerous to look into something such as the FE... what on earth would you do if it actually starts to make sense to you... I can understand why you wouldn't want to take that risk.
No offense but I find a flat earth as hard to believe as the theory of evolution.

• Agree
Reactions: KitKat1230
Upvote 0

KitKat1230

Truth Seeker
Oct 7, 2019
California
✟43,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can say the above about God's creation a stationary plain earth.

But yet turn around and say you believe water can magically adhere to a floating rotating sphere. That some how just floats out in nothing and moves at high rates of speed around a huge fire ball.

Really which one, really takes imagination to believe in, just like santa claus, the teaching of this globe earth starts at a young age when the mind is at its most accepting of fairy tales.

As do the teachings that a donkey became sentient and spoke like a human for a few minutes, a ninety-year-old woman who passed her last ovum decades ago had a baby, the human race first populated via mass incest at the beginning of time with little to no physical or mental problems until a few hundred years later, three sons from the same biological family were able to pass down family trees that were all completely different races, and Lot's daughters were able to have sons out of wedlock who surely looked like their father/grandfather and the super patriarchal culture of that time somehow didn't put up a fuss and the sons actually managed to become founders of their own people groups despite being conceived from incest and fornication (rape, really, since Lot was drunk) etc.

There is scientific evidence of a global earth. There are people who actually went inside a spaceship and lived to tell. We have pictures and footage of people on the moon and rovers on Mars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No I don’t believe it’s a lie, I believe it is a false deduction based on inaccurate information. A lie is an untruth that is intended to deceive not all untruths are intended to deceive. I believe that the theory of evolution is actually believed to be true by many people and if they actually believe it is true then their intention is not to deceive but instead to help others understand how life on this planet came to be.

It may start out as, not a lie like astronomy, etc... But as scientist delve further into their beliefs and began to see there is no truth to their ideas. By then they have garnered a large following and more than likely funding.

They simply can not turn back and admit they were wrong. So eventually what started out as a true belief than their ideas may be true. Eventually morphs into, the higher ups in the system keeping what now are lies going. Of course satan plays a factor in all of this as something like this would not continue for over 100's to thousand's of years. Without a supernatural source as its guide.

Satan benefits immensely from this deception, in helping to blind people to the truth of The Bible. Which has the truth to get back to God and receive His free gift of Eternal Life. When a person begins to doubt the truthfulness of The Bible. Then they are less likely to look to The Bible, in matters of their spiritual condition.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may start out as, not a lie like astronomy, etc... But as scientist delve further into their beliefs and began to see there is no truth to their ideas. By then they have garnered a large following and more than likely funding.

They simply can not turn back and admit they were wrong. So eventually what started out as a true belief than their ideas may be true. Eventually morphs into, the higher ups in the system keeping what now are lies going. Of course satan plays a factor in all of this as something like this would not continue for over 100's to thousand's of years. Without a supernatural source as its guide.

Satan benefits immensely from this deception, in helping to blind people to the truth of The Bible. Which has the truth to get back to God and receive His free gift of Eternal Life. When a person begins to doubt the truthfulness of The Bible. Then they are less likely to look to The Bible, in matters of their spiritual condition.
I don't find anything in the Bible indicating that the earth is flat except figures of speech. I don't really think that I think in my heart but I understand what it means.

• Agree
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't find anything in the Bible indicating that the earth is flat except figures of speech. I don't really think that I think in my heart but I understand what it means.

Explain the first chapter in Genesis where God states He created a raqia (dome, expanse) that separates waters from waters and in this raqia. He (God) placed the sun, moon and stars to give light up on the earth. He (God) also states that He named the raqia heaven in English that is translated to sky.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Explain the first chapter in Genesis where God states He created a raqia (dome, expanse) that separates waters from waters and in this raqia. He (God) placed the sun, moon and stars to give light up on the earth. He (God) also states that He named the raqia heaven in English that is translated to sky.
Young's Literal translation just says he called the firmament Heavens. Only one translation mentions a dome and it's not in Genesis. But if you're comfortable with your belief in a flat earth I'm not one to try to change your mind

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Young's Literal translation just says he called the firmament Heavens. Only one translation mentions a dome and it's not in Genesis. But if you're comfortable with your belief in a flat earth I'm not one to try to change your mind

The Complete Jewish Bible uses dome for raqia in Genesis 1.

God said, “Let there be a dome in the middle of the water; let it divide the water from the water.” God made the dome and divided the water under the dome from the water above the dome; that is how it was, and God called the dome Sky. So there was evening, and there was morning, a second day.

Also Everett Foxx a well respected Torah translator uses dome, in his English translation of The Torah.

https://www.thetorah.com/author/everett-fox

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Complete Jewish Bible uses dome for raqia in Genesis 1.

God said, “Let there be a dome in the middle of the water; let it divide the water from the water.” God made the dome and divided the water under the dome from the water above the dome; that is how it was, and God called the dome Sky. So there was evening, and there was morning, a second day.

Also Everett Foxx a well respected Torah translator uses dome, in his English translation of The Torah.

Prof. Everett Fox | TheTorah.com
As do people who say that the Israelites that wrote Genesis believed in a flat earth and therefore the Bible is not inerrant. I don't hold that view.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No offense but I find a flat earth as hard to believe as the theory of evolution.
Well, evolution is completely against scripture... The FE, on the other hand.. can be backed up by scripture...

You choose.

Here's one... there are more.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,601.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again... I get it... You don't dare look into something at the risk that you find that the minority of people... the Tin Foil hatters.... have a good argument that you cannot dispute
Why should I expect Rob Skiba to be any different to any of the other flat earth apologists that I've read or listened to? Does he have something new to add that hasn't been covered by any number of flat earthers? I have not found a single one to have a solid argument, they all fail in one way or another.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Here is the average christian creationist. They do not believe in a long age earth/universe (millions to billions years), evolution, they do not believe in climate change (man caused) all ideas coming from scientist.

But yet from these same scientist, the average christian creationist will turn around and believe in their (scientist) astronomy, outer space, globe earth.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.