Is the bible the only reason to conclude the earth is 6,000 years old?

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The earth existed before the sun.
So you claim. Any evidence?

And don't forget that the question of whether the Sun predates the Earth or not, isn't the original contention. The contention is that the Sun predates plants be several billion years, thus contradicting the Bible, and thus refuting your original claim.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you claim. Any evidence?

And don't forget that the question of whether the Sun predates the Earth or not, isn't the original contention. The contention is that the Sun predates plants be several billion years, thus contradicting the Bible, and thus refuting your original claim.

The earth is made of rock and the sun is made of gas. So, earth was made first.

Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The earth is made of rock and the sun is made of gas. So, earth was made first.

If I am not mistaken (and this is not my area) but the Solar Nebular Disk Model has stars forming from gas and a protoplanetary disk forming around the star. The first thing to happen is the coalescence of the giant molecular hydrogen clouds (gas) which are gravitationally unstable and collapse to form stars. (WIKI)

So just because one is gas and one is rock does not indicate the latter formed first necessarily.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If I am not mistaken (and this is not my area) but the Solar Nebular Disk Model has stars forming from gas and a protoplanetary disk forming around the star. The first thing to happen is the coalescence of the giant molecular hydrogen clouds (gas) which are gravitationally unstable and collapse to form stars. (WIKI)

So just because one is gas and one is rock does not indicate the latter formed first necessarily.

If so, how did the nebula get its first "rock"?

Upvote 0

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i believe in science and not religion. science is about facts and religion is about beliefs. i have discovered that science has become just as much of a religion as church. science many times requires us to take gigantic leaps of faith in many areas also. so lets just stick to hard facts shall we.

1. scientists have proven that the moon is moving farther and farther from earth. if we backtrack to see how long the moon has been moving away from the earth scientists have discovered that the earth can be no older than 12000 years old.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The gravity attraction of earth's material is larger.

Try using some math to explain that.

Start with F=GmM/r^2 (Hopefully you recognizet his).

Support your contention that a small chunk of rock's gravity is larger than a gravitationally collapsing cloud of gas.

Just work the numbers for us. You know....teach.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The gravity attraction of earth's material is larger.
So... are you saying that the Sun is younger than the Earth because it hasn't reached the same stage is it, i.e., it's in the prior 'gas' stage, whereas the Earth is in the later (or final) 'rock' stage of gravitational accretion/collapse?

If so, well, gravity doesn't work that way.
If not, well, I have no idea what else you could be saying.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
i believe in science and not religion. science is about facts and religion is about beliefs.
OK.

i have discovered that science has become just as much of a religion as church.
Uhh... how?

science many times requires us to take gigantic leaps of faith in many areas also.
Uhh... where? Can you give examples?

so lets just stick to hard facts shall we.
I thought we were :scratch:

1. scientists have proven that the moon is moving farther and farther from earth. if we backtrack to see how long the moon has been moving away from the earth scientists have discovered that the earth can be no older than 12000 years old.
Do you have any evidence to support this contention? Who are the scientists you're referring to? When and in what paper did they publish their results? What methodology did they use? What statistical analysis did they use to conclude the Moon is not accelerating, contrary to everything we know about astronomy and gravitation?

The truth, of course, is that this is a very common, and very incorrect, Creationist argument that's been around since the year dot. The foundational falsehood of the argument is that it assumes that the Moon has been receding at a constant velocity - it has not.

But if you believe it's true, then please, cite your evidence. I'm a physicist, so don't be shy about going into the nuts and bolts of it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm a physics, so don't be shy about going into the nuts and bolts of it all.

Do Creationists know how to use numbers in a discussion? I haven't seen any on this board who utilize numbers or run calculations.

Does it ever happen?

Upvote 0
C

crimsonleaf

The "days" used in the creation narrative in the Bible are symbolic of long periods of geological time, so that the Bible does not say that the Earth is 6,000 years old, either.

So, the answer is that there is probably no strong evidence to support a young Earth. (Although, I am no expert on this subject.)
Hi Steve.

It makes no difference to the argument as a whole, but the Hebrew "Yom" (day) always means a 24 hour period when accompanied by a number, so "the first day" means a literal 24 hour day for example.

"Yom" means all sorts of things elsewhere, but not here.

My Fact of the Day :)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
i believe in science and not religion. science is about facts and religion is about beliefs. i have discovered that science has become just as much of a religion as church. science many times requires us to take gigantic leaps of faith in many areas also. so lets just stick to hard facts shall we.

God bless

Not if the moon has been accelerating. That is what scientists have discovered. Do you have any references from earth scientists that conclude the earth can be no older than 12,000 years? Any references indicating it is 6,000 years?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do Creationists know how to use numbers in a discussion? I haven't seen any on this board who utilize numbers or run calculations.

Does it ever happen?
Occasionally, but invariably either 'correlation, therefore causation' or 'look how many zeroes this probability calculation has! Therefore, God'.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Does it ever happen?

All the time. Every day good creationists run the numbers. This leads to a phenomenon called apostasy.

Upvote 0