Is the bible the only reason to conclude the earth is 6,000 years old?

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That is based on fossil understanding on the earth, not an understanding of the whole universe. God not only creates the earth, but also creates every other stars and planets. What happened on earth can not be taken as a rule for other solar systems.

No, science does not prove that plants can not exist before our sun.
So the ancient Hebrews, when penning Genesis 1, were actually talking about plants on other plants? Is this independently verifiable, or did you invent it ad hoc to preserve your a priori dogma? Because I think we both know it's the latter.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So the ancient Hebrews, when penning Genesis 1, were actually talking about plants on other plants? Is this independently verifiable, or did you invent it ad hoc to preserve your a priori dogma? Because I think we both know it's the latter.

This is a different issue. And the interpretation lies on whether we want to talk about faith or not. Since we are talking about science of those exact words (ancient or not), your comment is irrelevant at this time. If you want to leave science and start to talk about faith, then we may take a look of it.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That is based on fossil understanding on the earth, not an understanding of the whole universe. God not only creates the earth, but also creates every other stars and planets. What happened on earth can not be taken as a rule for other solar systems.
Genesis says plants appeared before other solar systems, so this argument is irrelevant. Science has shown that other stars existed before our sun, so yet again the bible has it wrong.

Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That is based on fossil understanding on the earth, not an understanding of the whole universe.

see, there is that vagueness thing again. You could have explained in some detail what this particular word salad means but we are left wondering.

God not only creates the earth, but also creates every other stars and planets. What happened on earth can not be taken as a rule for other solar systems.

so you are assuming thatGenesis is written about another planet? And on this planet landplsnts occur before the sun. Was Adam on that planet or this one when he named all the animals God created on the other planet? Atwhat pount in Genesis does the narrative switch over to being about earth?

No, science does not prove that plants can not exist before our sun.

just photosynthesizing plants like the trees mentioned in Genesis.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Genesis says plants appeared before other solar systems, so this argument is irrelevant. Science has shown that other stars existed before our sun, so yet again the bible has it wrong.

Why is it wrong? I don't see anything wrong in the Bible.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
see, there is that vagueness thing again. You could have explained in some detail what this particular word salad means but we are left wondering.

so you are assuming thatGenesis is written about another planet? And on this planet landplsnts occur before the sun. Was Adam on that planet or this one when he named all the animals God created on the other planet? Atwhat pount in Genesis does the narrative switch over to being about earth?

just photosynthesizing plants like the trees mentioned in Genesis.

That is a good question.

I would suggest on the Day 3 (verse 9). The earth was made along with many other planets.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? You don't see anything wrong with saying that the earth was formed before any stars?

That is a little heavy. Even so, I don't see anything wrong with it.

People taught you that Sun existed before the earth. That is a model. There is no reason that the other way around shall not be true. And I think it is probably a more reasonable model.

--------

Sorry, Split Rock, your thread seems to be hijacked. If you don't like it, I will stop.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
This is a different issue. And the interpretation lies on whether we want to talk about faith or not. Since we are talking about science of those exact words (ancient or not), your comment is irrelevant at this time. If you want to leave science and start to talk about faith, then we may take a look of it.
Your contention was that science has never proven the Bible wrong. Yet, according to science, the Sun long predates plant-life on Earth, which is in direct contradiction to the Bible, which says that plant-life on Earth predates the Sun. Instead of going on about faith and science, try focussing on the point: your contention is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That is a little heavy. Even so, I don't see anything wrong with it.

People taught you that Sun existed before the earth. That is a model. There is no reason that the other way around shall not be true. And I think it is probably a more reasonable model.
Science disagrees. So your original contention (that science agrees with the Bible, that science hasn't proven anything in the Bible wrong) is once again incorrect.

Science says the stars and Sun predate the Earth, contrary to the Bible.
Science says the Sun predates plantlife, contrary to the Bible.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Science disagrees. So your original contention (that science agrees with the Bible, that science hasn't proven anything in the Bible wrong) is once again incorrect.

Science says the stars and Sun predate the Earth, contrary to the Bible.
Science says the Sun predates plantlife, contrary to the Bible.

Science said it wrong.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your contention was that science has never proven the Bible wrong. Yet, according to science, the Sun long predates plant-life on Earth, which is in direct contradiction to the Bible, which says that plant-life on Earth predates the Sun. Instead of going on about faith and science, try focussing on the point: your contention is wrong.

I am always focused. Science is wrong.

Upvote 0

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am always focused. Science is wrong.

Hmm, Let's see, on the one hand we have science, the collective product of the best minds in history, and on the other we have Juvenissun, another egocentric creationist who makes up rubbish as he goes along and has a major problem with reality, facts, and the truth.

I think we'll go with science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.