Kent
Visit site
✟18,614.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Conservative
anonym said:
Well, no offence, but that discussion sounds to me like a group of people, none of which has even seen snow, talking about how it tastes with gross confidence. :confused:
Suicide is not a sin. As one doesn't choose to live (do you? or had you chosen to be born?), one doesn't choose to die. Both happen.
Maran-atha!
First off... what a load of rubbish, as the majority has spoken.

And since the majority has spoken... should we fear suicide?
By that I mean, is it a sin that would condemn us to hell? If i commit suicide, would i go to hell?

God Bless, metal.

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
joevberry3 said:
Yeah, suicide is SIN!

Okay, but do you believe it to be an unforgiveable sin? Is it a sin that God can forgive a person of? I believe it is, with all my heart and soul. Having been there before, I know the pain that a person can be in to even consider such a finality. Not to mention, that usually suicide stems from depression which usually stems from a medical condition that has caused a chemical imbalance in the brain and the brain is not firing correctly. It is not receiving the proper signals. So, is this a sin that will condemn a person to hell no matter what? If that is the case, where is God's grace and mercy and is God's authority limited to not forgive a person in this much despair?

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0

joevberry3

Feb 4, 2004
latta sc
Visit site
✟1,486.00
Faith
Christian
aanjt said:
Okay, but do you believe it to be an unforgiveable sin? Is it a sin that God can forgive a person of? I believe it is, with all my heart and soul. Having been there before, I know the pain that a person can be in to even consider such a finality. Not to mention, that usually suicide stems from depression which usually stems from a medical condition that has caused a chemical imbalance in the brain and the brain is not firing correctly. It is not receiving the proper signals. So, is this a sin that will condemn a person to hell no matter what? If that is the case, where is God's grace and mercy and is God's authority limited to not forgive a person in this much despair?

Yours in Christ,
Jen
Hi Jen. I believe from studies that MOST people that commit suicide are really NOT in the right state of Mind. But, to say God forgives them cause of this, it isnt for me to say.
I have been there before to Jen. But, in my case, God is what kept me from doing it. Not my mom, dad, friends, cousins, but God. Now, why did he stop me right before i committed suicide?
But on the other hand, i believe if a person says to himself i will kill myself cause I know im going to Heaven. Then i believe it is unforgivable since they know what they are about to do.
God Bless,
Joe :priest:

Upvote 0

anonym

Mar 14, 2004
✟115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
hotmetal said:
First off... what a load of rubbish, as the majority has spoken.

And since the majority has spoken... should we fear suicide?
By that I mean, is it a sin that would condemn us to hell? If i commit suicide, would i go to hell?

God Bless, metal.

I don't think that the majority have to fear suicide. It's most unlikely to happen. There is only a 1% or so chance that one will end one's life by killing one's self. If one does in 9 out of 10 cases, it has been due to a severe mental disorder, including heavy drug addiction, and in 1 out 10 it is because of one being forced to do it, by people who otherwise would torture and kill him - as is the case of suicide-bombers.

When you are killing yourself, there is no mind, no choice, no hope whatsoever. It's only about emotions. If one is able to decide whether to do it or not, one always chooses life. It's when you're not able to think at all, that you "choose" death. It's a truly irrational emotional whirlpool and pure terror.

I mean that there is a difference between just thinking of suicide as a way of escaping reality which so many of us do and which is a sin to me and really killing one's self due to a deep emotional breakdown and mind block sort of speak as it is always the case.

When something so dreadful happens to a human being, what on earth is the reason for saying that he/she will go to hell and for condemning him/her?

God bless you!
Maran-atha!
anonym

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
joevberry3 said:
Hi Jen. I believe from studies that MOST people that commit suicide are really NOT in the right state of Mind. But, to say God forgives them cause of this, it isnt for me to say.
I have been there before to Jen. But, in my case, God is what kept me from doing it. Not my mom, dad, friends, cousins, but God. Now, why did he stop me right before i committed suicide?
But on the other hand, i believe if a person says to himself i will kill myself cause I know im going to Heaven. Then i believe it is unforgivable since they know what they are about to do.
God Bless,
Joe :priest:

Not one person could have stopped from doing it either (well, at least my thoughts). In saying that, I believe that God can use people as vehicles to carry out His will. Let me explain.

There was a time when I did not feel I could ever be loved by God, forgiven by God, receive God's grace or mercy. IOW, I had no hope at all. There were issues surrounding that circumstance I won't get into. I still worshiped God and I loved God. Going through my depression years ago, I would go in and talk with my priest, mainly about spiritual things in my life. Through the compassion that my priest showed me, through listening without judging, through my first confession (I really needed to hear the words I was forgiven since I did not feel I could be) I finally started to believe that even I could be loved. Do I give credit to my priest? Not entirely. In fact, I wrote him a letter stating that I was extremely thankful that he (my priest) allowed God to use him to show me that I was loved, etc by God. When I felt suicidal (before I felt loved), I wanted at least one person to hear to know and listen. So, I went to my priest. Well, he had the parish secretary stand in the door way while he went out for a second. He came back and called 911. That was the day I started to get my life back. It was on Ash Wednesday. Do I give my priest credit? Not entirely. I do firmly believe that God sent me to my priest that day. You see, I had already planned to commit the act that day and something told me to go to the church first. God saved my life by using my priest as a vehicle to reach out to me. My priest accepted God's call to do that (where there are some who would have not done this).

So, I am in agreement with you that God saved my life as He saved yours and not a person. But, like I said, it was God who saved my life but God had His will done through my priest. :)

Another thing, when in the midst of my depression, I prayed and longed to be out of my pain and just to be in the arms of Christ. That is the comforting picture that I kept with me (Christ holding me in his arms). Actually, I believe he was cradling me, just here on earth in this life.

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
anonym said:
I don't think that the majority have to fear suicide. It's most unlikely to happen. There is only a 1% or so chance that one will end one's life by killing one's self. If one does in 9 out of 10 cases, it has been due to a severe mental disorder, including heavy drug addiction, and in 1 out 10 it is because of one being forced to do it, by people who otherwise would torture and kill him - as is the case of suicide-bombers.

When you are killing yourself, there is no mind, no choice, no hope whatsoever. It's only about emotions. If one is able to decide whether to do it or not, one always chooses life. It's when you're not able to think at all, that you "choose" death. It's a truly irrational emotional whirlpool and pure terror.

I mean that there is a difference between just thinking of suicide as a way of escaping reality which so many of us do and which is a sin to me and really killing one's self due to a deep emotional breakdown and mind block sort of speak as it is always the case.

When something so dreadful happens to a human being, what on earth is the reason for saying that he/she will go to hell and for condemning him/her?

God bless you!
Maran-atha!
anonym

Where do you get your statistics from? I was not on drugs (much less addicted to drugs) and I was not forced to do it either (as in someone else forcing me). I do know people who have committed suicide (not many, can count on one hand) and none of them were on drugs or were forced by someone else to do it. This is not to say that there are those who are on drugs do not commit suicide, because I am sure some of them do, although some die of an unintentional overdose as well.

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
anonym said:
Sorry, I didn't quite make it out from your previous posts - have you attempted suicide?
Thank you!
Maran-atha!
anonym

Not quite. Although, on my way home, I did have a plan, already wrote my husband "the note" and that is when I just needed one person to hear me. My husband still did not believe it was serious (and thought at the time that if one really wanted out of it, they could pull themselves out of it). But, I had the means to do it and the opportunity to do it.

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BlueRose

Mar 14, 2004
✟443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Suicide is most definitely a SIN.

As for Christians, Jesus' blood has covered all of our sins--we don't have to fear going to hell because of a certain sin. His blood was powerful enough to wash them all away.

But now, here's the catch. Rewards are going to be a big part of heaven. We will also face some consequences. We won't face consequences of hell, but there will be different "ranks" we will have.

Do you want to have a crown of glory? Do you want to rule with Christ?
Not all will be able to. You may make it to heaven, but that doesn't guarantee that you will have the maximum benefits. Our choices here on earth will partially affect our heavenly experience. We will be held accountable for what we did and did not do.

I'm sure that suicide will be followed by a lot of questioning from God. How terrible to imagine Jesus, looking at you saying "Why did you waste the life I gave you? Why did you leave such a bad witness for me, by killing yourself?" Think of the complete shame involved.. I personally want God to be proud of the witness I was for him, and how I lived my life for him, and made wise decisions.

Our life here is nothing compared to eternity. I'm sure anyone can easily hold out a measely 70 years on earth, to have an eternity of blessings. Some lives are extremely hard, but God will reward us greatly for perservering. Don't give in to Satan's lies--you are worthy of living your life out to the fullest. There's no reason to take that gift away.

Reactions: Neenie
Upvote 0

Alanbear

Apr 29, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
(I suggest reading a very helpful book, Night Falls Fast, by Kay Redfield Jamison, ISBN# 0375701478)
As a Christian for twenty-one years, I realize I may be attacked for what I'm about to write. However, what we all must realize is that this topic is very controversial and everyone's opinion should be accepted openly. I realize everyone comes from different religilous backgrounds but what we all need to realize is that what may be kosher for Person #1 may not be for Person #2. What do I mean? There are no two lives lead exactly the same ... you agree?

For example, I come from a Non-Denomination church (Church of Christ) and while I don't speak on behalf of my church, I speak on behalf of my myself and what I gleen from the Bible. My take on the topic of suicide is that it is indeed a sin but like all sins we are forgiven by the grace of God. Some will say that suicide is condemnable to the flames of hell. I disagree. I look at my relationship with God the Father as with my biological father. No matter what happens in life, no matter what I do to hurt my biological father, I will always be my biological father's son. Agreed? So, with this said and done, I believe that once I accept Christ into my heart to be my personal Lord and Savior I am forever allowed into Heaven. If this were not so, if we had to live a constant striving-to-be-perfect life, I don't think any of use would make it into Heaven.

Ony last thought before I close, if we really wish to accept the theory (after all, that is all it is ... a theory) that those who commit suicide are condemned to hell, I feel that is pretty harsh considering suicide is one of the top three killers of high school and collage age men and women. Why would God the Father send that many of His children to hell for an act to free them from the torments of earth?

Your thoughts please ...

Upvote 0
S

SarahAblaze06

Yes, committing suicide is a sin because it is saying that you do not believe that God has the power to get out of where you are at/ really it is denying his power, doubting him. and that is big sin. but- ultimately God is our judge. he know the thoughts and actions of every person. he knows in what state of mind adn heart they are in at the time.

Upvote 0

newbiebeliever

I Believe
Apr 30, 2004
North Pole
✟7,632.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think people have forgotten that mental illness plays a part in the question that was asked originally, thus when you are not in full control of your sanity, I personally don't think it is a sin.
If people in general were to understand how mental illness can affect a person's mind, I don't think they would condemn it as a sin.

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I said yes because it is murder, no matter the mental state. If a person is really sad or angry and they kill another person, they are still murderers, even though they had a bad mental state. But, I guess the qeustion is: "is suicide forgiveable" by God? As I have been suicidal in the past, I sure hope so and I don't see any reason why God wouldn't forgive me for one sin, as the unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

servant4ever

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I voted yes
However, for some reason, there are some in our culture who are convinced that this is somehow a ticket to hell, nowhere is such a doctrine taught and it is cruel to teach that knowing that there are those who have lost loved ones to suicied. What makes this sin any worse than mine?

Upvote 0

alexeeah

Jun 18, 2004
✟854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do I believe suicide is a sin? Yes. However there was a man who was very depressed.....he got saved but then three days later he killed himself. Do i think that God gave he grace because he didn't know it was a sin? Well i sure hope so. However the bible says "My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge." so again who knows except God. The best you can hope for if you're suicidal is stay commited to christ and pray that someone else killsyou lol!

Upvote 0

Import_Nights

Jul 8, 2004
Falls Church, VA
✟264.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I, personally, believe that suicide is a sin because its not for us to decide when its time for us to go, but only God knows. I was raised with that principle since I was a little kid. As for you having a mental illness and trying to commit suicide, I really don't know what to say.I'm not sure if it would count as a sin. I'm sorry if I cannot be of much help.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.