United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bizzlebin Imperatoris said:
I can't remember which book it is found in, Wisdom or Sirach, but I know it directly states that it is a sin. Does anyone have the passage?
Hi Bizzlebin Imperatoris. I'm just curious but what kind of Bible are you using? I never noticed those books in my Bible (Protestant Bible).

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am using a normal Bible. The Protestant Bibles vary. Some don't have James, some do. All because men don't agree with God. Anyways, here is the scripture. Wisdom 1:12

Seek not death in the error of your life: and pull not upon yourselves destruction with the works of your hands.

Upvote 0

Everglaze

Atheist Council Representative
Aug 30, 2004
✟16,632.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
jayebrownlee said:
Having attempted suicide may times this is something I would like to work out. I know many people have differing views on the subject however the only Biblical evidence I can find is the commandment, 'Do not murder'.

I am not looking for a ticket to commit suicide with a clear conscience, but I suffer for sever mental illness and when I do take an attempt on my own life then I am not really myself, the illness has taken over.

Please any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Your sister in Christ

Jay
Yes, the verse is -- "If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." - 1 Corinthians 3:17

You are not your own, your body is the temple of God so you should treat it with care and keep it Holy and pure. This can include things like the damaging substances that you consume like drugs or any other action taken towards your body that will destroy it and suicide is another one of those hazardous things that God wouldn't approve of. You're also made to glorify God and besides, anyone in Christ should be filled with Joy and shouldn't be suicidal. Anyway, that's the verse that points out that it's wrong so take it into consideration.

Upvote 0

Archangel

Sith Lord
Jun 3, 2004
Northern Ireland
✟1,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because people commit suicide, it doesn't mean they go to hell.

I agree that suicide is taking from God what is his, but doesn't everybody take from God?

Because of the fact that the person could not ask for fogivness is why they went to hell. God's nature and the mission of Christ says this is not the case.

What if you had stolen money from your mums handbag, then ran out on the street, were hit by a bus and died. Would you go to hell because you didn't ask for forgivness for sinning by stealing ? No!

Christ's death on the cross brought forgivness for past present and future sins. If a Christian commited suicide, on the day of meeting God, God would understand why they did it. He would understand the regection a person went through and took their life because of it, he would understand the stress, the guilt, the reason for self pity, and he woul dunderstand, and would wipe away the tears from their eyes and welcome them into His presence.

Look at Samson, he commited sucide, but was still a judge for God, he had faith in God, he asked God to restore his strength so that he could end his life along with the lives of his enemies, and God granted it (Judges 16:28-31)

John 3:17 - "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through Him"

Christ came to save the world, to forgive the sins of the world, and not to condem.

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" Isaiah 53:5

"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me for I have redeemed you." Isaiah 44:22

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace." Ephesians 1:7

God forgives, and always forgives, even when a Christian takes their life he has found forgivness in God.

Sin is different in our eyes, but all sin is the same in Gods. Because someone takes their own life doesn't make the sin any different.

The bible says God forgives all sins. However there are two which are unforgivable, being rejection of Christ and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Suicide falls into neither or these two sins. Suicide is probably the same as murder, as you are taking a life, are murders automatically destined to Hell. God will forgive, and if one of His children for whatever reason takes thier life, God will still accept them with His love.

Sucide, murder and sin, are all against the will of God, and any Christian can tell you that! Suicide is driven by sin or oppression, mainly that of the demonic. A Christian may take their life through guilt, or may be forced into death by a demonic force as demons wish to "steal, and to kill, and to destroy" (John 10:10)

For both of these reasons for suicide, God will forgive, because God is forgivness.

It also depends on the persons state on mind. There have been great preachers and genuine Christians who have commited suicide because they were not in the right state of mind.

That is why as Christians we must all:

'be transformed, by the renewing of your mind - Romans 12:2

At the end of the day it is the soverenty of God that judges the fate of a human soul.

If it is hard of the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner? - 1 Peter 4:18

Everyone sins, everyone sins, except God and those who are with him in Heaven.

The bible says,

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. - 1 John 1:8

for

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God - Romans 3:23

Because of this awful truth the following passage was fullfilled:

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life - John 3:16

God has given His son for the world, but the world must also receive Christ to gain the gift of life.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord - Romans 6:23

That is why

Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6

It is salvation that saves us, it is the acceptance of the love of God that forgives us. Living a holy life does not get a person into the Kingdom of Heaven.

God reaches out to touch peoples lives. He reaches out to touch the hearts of the lost. God also reaches out to teach Christians, to help them grow in maturity, and therefore become righteous.

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation - 1 Peter 2:2

We have to grow up in our salvation, but note that we have salvation before we become righteous. It is by salvation that we are accepted into Gods Kingdom.

A righteous life is the next step. A righteous life is the most effective, and probably the only way to witness to the lost. Throught righteousness we can hear the will of God and therefore know where and when to carry out His will.
When we recieved salvation, we recieved forgivness for the sins of the past present as of future.
Also, confession to God, is confession of our sins so that we may become more and more righteous for Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.