Nov 12, 2008
✟239,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ophiolite ... simple question ... are you saved or aren't you?
I've never given it any thought for several decades. Having now done so, at your prompting, I would say I am definitely saved, but I'm pretty sure I don't mean the same thing as you do by "saved". So, what do you think being saved means? Tell me that and I can answer the question on your terms.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's one of the reasons some Christians reject OSAS, you know...
Big deal.

Some Christians reject verbal plenary inspiration, dispensation theology, creationism, pre-trib rapture, the millennial reign of Christ, global flood, etc.
TLK Valentine said:
A God who loves everyone is, for all intents and purposes, no different from a God who loves no one.
Malachi 1:3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Do you love everyone?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've never given it any thought for several decades. Having now done so, at your prompting, I would say I am definitely saved, but I'm pretty sure I don't mean the same thing as you do by "saved". So, what do you think being saved means? Tell me that and I can answer the question on your terms.
Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Big deal.

Some Christians reject verbal plenary inspiration, dispensation theology, creationism, pre-trib rapture, the millennial reign of Christ, global flood, etc.

True, but it's the why, not the what, that you should be focusing on...

Malachi 1:3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Empty words.

Do you love everyone?

I'm not required to love anyone.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I’ll be the first to admit I’m not steeped in the physical or life sciences, or science in general for that matter, but I do enjoy learning what I’m capable of through good discussion.

Having said that, it seems to me that opponent “default responses” (I’m sure there are more) concerning Creation vs. Evolution are centered on two basic premises:

a) If you are a Creationist you are automatically thought to be a YEC, you believe the Bible is 100% accurate and take everything in it literally, you are anti-science, and you are against any form of evolutionary process because you think it takes God out of the picture.

b) If you are an Evolutionist you of course believe in a very old earth based on our timescale, you think the Bible is irrelevant (even inaccurate), science trumps everything (whether you want to admit it or not, similar to a religion in that you have faith in it whether it’s assumptions are proven or not), you are against any form of Creation because it puts God in the picture above science.

In other words, whichever camp you’re in this most likely is the perception of you from the other side. So, if you like, whatever camp you are in, pick any listed “default assumption” that you think does not accurately reflect your view and elaborate on it.

"a) If you are a Creationist you are automatically thought to be a YEC,"

Yes, that's what they always try to argue. Yet I have no problems with an old earth or young earth. It can be both young and old simultaneously. Since God stretched out the heavens, decay rates would have occurred faster in the past, making the earth old radiometrically, but not in counting actual years.

"you believe the Bible is 100% accurate and take everything in it literally,"

It is 100% accurate if you happen to speak ancient Hebrew and understand it as they did, which no one does, so of course translations are subject to opinions......

"you are anti-science,"

It depends if we are discussing "science" or "Fairie Dust"..... I am 100% for science and 100% against Fairie Dust.....

Fairie Dust - Fabricated Ad-hoc Inventions Repeatedly Invoked in Effort to Defend Untenable Scientific Theory.

"and you are against any form of evolutionary process because you think it takes God out of the picture."

No, I am against it because nothing evolves into separate species unless you incorrectly classify things. We in fact see tremendous variation "within" the species - think dogs, but we all understand they are one species.

Granted, if you found only bones of them (most partial or pieces of a jaw bone and small section of skull) and had never seen them in real life, I understand you might get confused and classify them as separate species and believe incorrectly they evolved into different species.

28926d9e64249372260208f85e893512.jpg

An understandable mistake, but a mistake nonetheless......

Last edited:
Reactions: Uber Genius
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Belief has no place in science.

There is no faith in the ToE (or any other scientific theory).

There are not always two sides to a story, sometimes you are just wrong.
This statement requires anachronistic definitions of both faith and science.

Faith is trust as represented by both Old and New Testament authors and doesn't intersect with knowledge whatsoever!

Science is based on empirical data and experimentation. Scientific "knowledge" is based on hundreds of presuppositions in every field.

Further you seem to be representing scientism not science.

The idea that science is the only way of gaining knowledge is self-refuting. That is why scientist died 70 years ago!

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This statement requires anachronistic definitions of both faith and science.

Faith is trust as represented by both Old and New Testament authors and doesn't intersect with knowledge whatsoever!

Science is based on empirical data and experimentation. Scientific "knowledge" is based on hundreds of presuppositions in every field.

Further you seem to be representing scientism not science.

The idea that science is the only way of gaining knowledge is self-refuting. That is why scientist died 70 years ago!

This was one of the most uninformed posts I have seen.

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It is 100% accurate if you happen to speak ancient Hebrew and understand it as they did, which no one does, so of course translations are subject to opinions......
Most of the Bible is not written in Hebrew. The New Testament is 0% Hebrew. Even the Old Testament is not 100% Hebrew.

It depends if we are discussing "science" or "Fairie Dust"..... I am 100% for science
No, you really are not. Maybe 95% for science, but definitely not 100%. This thread is a prime example of you rejecting science.

No, I am against it because nothing evolves into separate species unless you incorrectly classify things. We in fact see tremendous variation "within" the species - think dogs, but we all understand they are one species.
The evidence would indicate that you are against evolution (which is science, by the way) because you don't understand it.

3 claims, all of which are demonstrably incorrect. Feel free to show me where I am mistaken. And I mean provide evidence, not just an assertion that I am wrong. For instance, show how speaking ancient Hebrew would give you 100% understanding of koine Greek. Or demonstrate how evolution is not science. And then demonstrate that you actually understand evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of the Bible is not written in Hebrew. The New Testament is 0% Hebrew. Even the Old Testament is not 100% Hebrew.
What Bible are you referring to?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is no evidence that what we call parables found in scripture are fictional.

Nice attempt at shifting of the burden proof. The use of the word "fictional" makes it look as if the denier makes a positive claim that has a burden of proof.

But it's just sneaky word trickery of course.

What you actually require is evidence for the positive claim. That claim being that the parables are actually accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: VirOptimus
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Rather, when I engage in such argumentation I am generally attempting two things:
  • To point out, where appropriate, that one or more of an individual's premises are faulty.
  • To encourage them to explore alternate views more deeply.

Hey hey

Upvote 0