U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I’ll be the first to admit I’m not steeped in the physical or life sciences, or science in general for that matter, but I do enjoy learning what I’m capable of through good discussion.

Having said that, it seems to me that opponent “default responses” (I’m sure there are more) concerning Creation vs. Evolution are centered on two basic premises:

a) If you are a Creationist you are automatically thought to be a YEC, you believe the Bible is 100% accurate and take everything in it literally, you are anti-science, and you are against any form of evolutionary process because you think it takes God out of the picture.

b) If you are an Evolutionist you of course believe in a very old earth based on our timescale, you think the Bible is irrelevant (even inaccurate), science trumps everything (whether you want to admit it or not, similar to a religion in that you have faith in it whether it’s assumptions are proven or not), you are against any form of Creation because it puts God in the picture above science.

In other words, whichever camp you’re in this most likely is the perception of you from the other side. So, if you like, whatever camp you are in, pick any listed “default assumption” that you think does not accurately reflect your view and elaborate on it.

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
a) If you are a Creationist you are automatically thought to be a YEC, you believe the Bible is 100% accurate and take everything in it literally, you are anti-science, and you are against any form of evolutionary process because you think it takes God out of the picture.

That's because if you are a Creationist that doesn't dispute old Earth or evolution then there's nothing to debate. Maybe abiogenesis where non-creationists will admit we lack knowledge and will point to research that points towards that conclusion. The creationist believes it was started by god. Neither can present enough evidence to solidly refute the other so there's really not a lot to argue about.

b) If you are an Evolutionist you of course believe in a very old earth based on our timescale, you think the Bible is irrelevant (even inaccurate), science trumps everything (whether you want to admit it or not, similar to a religion in that you have faith in it whether it’s assumptions are proven or not), you are against any form of Creation because it puts God in the picture above science.

We believe what the evidence shows. The evidence shows that the Earth is likely very old. The evidence shows that the Bible is generally not accurate with regard to this topic. Objective observation and experimentation and evidence tops everything. And generally we don't care about things that can't be shown. I don't care that you believe god did this or that. I only care what you can demonstrate was done by a god and demonstrate that god exists. Until that is done it's just an idea you have and it doesn't matter why or what you believe, it only matters what you can show.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I’ll be the first to admit I’m not steeped in the physical or life sciences, or science in general for that matter, but I do enjoy learning what I’m capable of through good discussion.

Having said that, it seems to me that opponent “default responses” (I’m sure there are more) concerning Creation vs. Evolution are centered on two basic premises:

In other words, whichever camp you’re in this most likely is the perception of you from the other side. So, if you like, whatever camp you are in, pick any listed “default assumption” that you think does not accurately reflect your view and elaborate on it.
Sweeping generalization in both cases. There is a wide variety of creationists on CF, and I don't think I ever seen someone with a "science trumps everything" opinion.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Religion and science are two different areas of inquiry. Its like comparing apples and oranges they are two separate fields. You can't use one to either prove or disprove the other. God's not in the habit of standing still and being measured so people can experiment on Him nor is He going into in-depth mathematical explanations of creation etc. for us. No need for it.

Some of us have figured this out. Just waiting for the rest of you to figure it out as well .

In the meantime.. where's the popcorn?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As a scientist, mathematician and educator, now retired, I regard science as simply unable to say anything at all about the supernatural because it is inaccessible to observation or experiment. The fact that science theorizes an old earth and evolving life does not render the Bible as in error. As a Christian I recognize that the Bible is not always to be taken literally but speaks metaphorically, even poetically, on many issues. Jesus spoke frequently in parables. The fact that they are fictional does not render them untrue --- in fact, they speak truth powerfully and memorably.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
That's because if you are a Creationist that doesn't dispute old Earth or evolution then there's nothing to debate. Maybe abiogenesis where non-creationists will admit we lack knowledge and will point to research that points towards that conclusion. The creationist believes it was started by god. Neither can present enough evidence to solidly refute the other so there's really not a lot to argue about.
You forget about theist evolution, whereby even given the mechanisms of evolution: stochastic processes, time, replication, and natural selection are viewed as insufficient to explain the improbable functional complexity of nature. You see what has not been proven is the likeliness of the mechanisms of evolution explaining nature.

We believe what the evidence shows. The evidence shows that the Earth is likely very old. The evidence shows that the Bible is generally not accurate with regard to this topic. Objective observation and experimentation and evidence tops everything. And generally we don't care about things that can't be shown. I don't care that you believe god did this or that. I only care what you can demonstrate was done by a god and demonstrate that god exists. Until that is done it's just an idea you have and it doesn't matter why or what you believe, it only matters what you can show.

You neglect to consider the proof of miracles affirmed by eyewitnesses. The same kind of proof as one is presented with in a court of law.

"he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead." Acts 17:31

"Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know....God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact." Acts 2:22,32

• Agree
Reactions: Heissonear
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The evidence shows that the Bible is generally not accurate with regard to this topic.

While I think you have accurately represented both that the Christian is within his rights to affirm a theistic evolution and the position around abiogenesis, the above reference seems to backtrack.

It assumes that proper exegesis demands a young earth perspective of Genesis 1. There are currently 7 main inferences explaining Genesis 1 amongst Biblical scholars, only one holds that the Earth is young. The other 6 would be consistent with the age of the Earth as reckoned by modern science.

Secondly, even the YECs would grant that the majority of evidence for Evolution is in support of micro-evolutionary change as opposed to the development of new body plans necessary to confirm the neo-Darwinian inference.

Finally, exegetical rules are generally a controversial issue across Christian circles. But Scholars are much more likely to avoid anachronistic literal interpretations, and recognize that the Bible does not purport to be a science book. Instead they recognize that over 40 authors from many Middle East countries, across a period of 1500 years, from high and low positions in society (Kings and Slaves alike), are writing about their experience of God from their own cultural understanding, influenced by the writers of their time and culture, as well as the scientific understanding of their time.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You see what has not been proven is the likeliness of the mechanisms of evolution explaining nature.

Magic or natural processes? Seems natural processes wins by default in the question of likeliness.

You neglect to consider the proof of miracles affirmed by eyewitnesses. The same kind of proof as one is presented with in a court of law.

Eyewitness affirmation is not proof and is notoriously untrustworthy. Many innocent people have gone to prison.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't care that you believe god did this or that. I only care what you can demonstrate was done by a god and demonstrate that god exists. Until that is done it's just an idea you have and it doesn't matter why or what you believe, it only matters what you can show.
Isn't the above approach true of ALL knowledge? So does it need to be said?

Secondly, forensic sciences and anthropology purport to train people in how to gather inferences to intelligent causes. I assume your would accept those findings since no one has suggested they are not science.

Thirdly, Philosophy underpins scientific discovery. So I assume you would accept philosophical arguments that have premises supported by scientific findings such as fine-tuning and cosmological arguments (in theory at least) or would you be in favor of special pleading?

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Belief has no place in science.

There is no faith in the ToE (or any other scientific theory).

There are not always two sides to a story, sometimes you are just wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Magic or natural processes? Seems natural processes wins by default in the question of likeliness.
So you're saying it's by faith (faith in your assumption) and not a matter of fact. Thanks for admitting that. And we Christians don't view divine intervention as magic anymore than science is magic to those not studied in it.

Eyewitness affirmation is not proof and is notoriously untrustworthy. Many innocent people have gone to prison.
And yet it's used in courts of law. Go figure!

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So you're saying it's by faith (faith in your assumption) and not a matter of fact. Thanks for admitting that. And we Christians don't view divine intervention as magic anymore than science is magic to those not studied in it.

No. I'm not saying or "admitting" any such thing. We go where the evidence leads. We have evidence of the natural processes. We have none for divine intervention. We non-Christians do view it as magic because it fits the definition.

And yet it's used in courts of law. Go figure!

Along with other forms of evidence, sure. And many innocent people have gone to prison. Go figure.

• Agree
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Along with other forms of evidence, sure. And many innocent people have gone to prison. Go figure.

The advent of forensic science and related technologies has rendered the courts more certain in the question of guilt. DNA testing and video surveillance are two of the most effective techniques.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a scientist, mathematician and educator, now retired, I regard science as simply unable to say anything at all about the supernatural because it is inaccessible to observation or experiment. The fact that science theorizes an old earth and evolving life does not render the Bible as in error. As a Christian I recognize that the Bible is not always to be taken literally but speaks metaphorically, even poetically, on many issues. Jesus spoke frequently in parables. The fact that they are fictional does not render them untrue --- in fact, they speak truth powerfully and memorably.
There is no evidece that parables are fictional. There is no reason to think Jesus invented His stories, and doing so would have no benefit. People prefer fact based stories and Jesus was not ignorant that he needed to create fictional tales.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Generalizations are fun, even if not accurate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you?
Despite this admission, you nevertheless started a thread thusly:

"How long will it take for academia's and evolutionists to admit that Creation is the likely option if no such route is found, 100 years, 200 years, 500 years, never?"

and comment later in the same thread:

"The brick wall... no evidence (transitional fossils)... that's the limit right now."

And despite being asked more than once to discuss fossils and fossilization such that the certainty of your assertion was justified, you could offer nothing.

This is often the default since the majority of the creationists on these forums do, in fact, fit that bill. I am learning, sadly, that we can add 'are flat earthers' to that list.
It is also the case that when an anti-evolutionist indicates that they are not YEC, they are no longer thought of as a YEC. The converse is not true, however - when an evolutionist indicates that they are Christian, their faith is denigrated or dismissed.
I do see that from most creationists. It seems to be how they deal with the fact that not everyone is in lock-step with them.
Should be interesting.

If you are an Evolutionist you of course believe in a very old earth based on our timescale

Yes, because there is voluminous evidence that this is so.

you think the Bible is irrelevant (even inaccurate)

When it comes to scientific issues, yes. Why WOULD a collection of stories from a pre-industrial, pre-technological (compared to the last 100 year, at least) civilization be considered insightful or relevant or accurate when discussing, say, molecular biology?

science trumps everything (whether you want to admit it or not, similar to a religion in that you have faith in it whether it’s assumptions are proven or not)

Science, as such, trumps that which relies entirely on the say-so of ancient peoples, when the two are in conflict, regarding issues of nature. I know of no example wherein this is not the case.
The word "assumption" is often employed by the religious or other anti-science types as a way of making scientific concepts/facts seem less reasonable or reliable. Such folk, however, studiously seem to ignore the fact that they rely on assumptions as well - or they will declare their assumptions "true".
Let us consider one example of an assumption in science, not necessarily related to the topic of this forum -

Gravity and flight (atmospheric and space).
When engineers design aircraft or spacecraft, they are inherently assuming that gravity is a thing, and that how it operates is reasonably well understood. They also assume (space flight) that gravity works the same way in deep space as it does on earth. Regarding aircraft, if gravity was not a thing, then there should be no need for such craft to produce lift. Regarding spacecraft, if gravity were not a thing, then trajectory calculations would be irrelevant and useless, 'gravity slingshots' would not work, and calculations on escape velocity would not be needed, etc.
Yet, no aircraft or spacecraft engineer re-demonstrates gravity before designing their craft - they simply assume it. They ASSUME that what we know about gravity is legitimate.

Assumptions like this are, in effect, recognition of what is known. Not the 'mere guesses' the anti-science types wish to imply.

What are the assumptions of creationists? Are they NOT that the bible is at least 90% accurate and true (most of your creationist organizations place it at 100% cover to cover - I am throwing out 90% to cover the Old Earth creationists)?

Presupposition are another matter. Presuppositions are things we take as a given despite the fact that they cannot be proven or known to be true. This is what I think creationists are often really referring to when they derisively write 'assumptions.'
A slimmed-down depiction of the presuppositions of scientists is that the universe is real, and it can be generally understood via investigation using our senses, which are generally reliable. Something like that.
The presuppositions of the creationist (esp. the YEC), in my experience, seem to be - the bible is true and correct no matter what.

One side's presuppositions seem a bit more sensible and reasonable to me.

you are against any form of Creation because it puts God in the picture above science.

Hmmm... Nope. I am not "against" creation, just as I am not "against" Santa. I am against taking the stories of an ancient people and presenting them as history, rather than as moral tales (of often questionable morality), etc. I am against the double standards that most creationists definitely apply when it comes to accepting something as factual or true - the old 'the bible says it, I believe it, thats that!' mentality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In general agreement, but a question to ponder -
If volcanoes no longer erupted, and had not done so in all of recorded human history, would we have no knowledge of what produces what we call lava flows, for example?
IOW, do we really have to observe and study the cause of something to see its effects? While I agree that we cannot study the supernatural 'in real time', I think that we can study it indirectly, at least in some cases such as where physical effects were claimed to have occurred (e.g., a flood).

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Secondly, even the YECs would grant that the majority of evidence for Evolution is in support of micro-evolutionary change as opposed to the development of new body plans necessary to confirm the neo-Darwinian inference.
Why is there no 'roll eyes' smiley?

With all of your implied expertise in evolutionary biology, do explain please the "new body plans" within the vertebrata that exist.
Better yet, explain first what you mean by "body plan", for I suspect that it means something different to the theologian/philosopher than it does to one that is actually knowledgeable in a relevant field.

And please - no plagiarism or paraphrases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I see a lot of respect for the nuances of the various positions on these matters.

But I am a bit shocked at how many people actually do hold to an extreme (like: biological evolution doesnt produce new species.)

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why is there no 'roll eyes' smiley?

With all of your implied expertise in evolutionary biology, do explain please the "new body plans" within the vertebrata that exist.
Better yet, explain first what you mean by "body plan", for I suspect that it means something different to the theologian/philosopher than it does to one that is actually knowledgeable in a relevant field.

And please - no plagiarism or paraphrases.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0