• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Is science good?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by dad, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+569
    Humanist
    Private
    Atheism is a religion too, no?

The option that: 'There are no gods' doesn't easily turn into a parsimonious 'scientific explanation' without the objective test which would lead to that conclusion .. (but folk are free to adopt that belief if they choose to I suppose).

2. dad

dad On the winning side Supporter

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Nothing is untestable about God. Science cannot do so because it set up it's own little off center rules and method that religiously avoid Him!
    God clued us in actually, we have no need for pretentious sinners writing the rules.

We all have opinions, some happen to oppose God violently and others happen to be cool.

3. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    We actually don't need an explanation for spirits as they are almost universally known through time immemorial. I am seeing a trend here that atheists all think science is good, and nominal bible believers of course in the cheer lead role also. Any exceptions to that seeming trend care to speak up? Ha

4. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,581
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Nature is a martyr...science is the scythe...

5. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+3,017
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I challenge you to go a day without using anything that science developed.

6. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,632
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    The fact you wouldn't be able to insult it through this medium without it, it's a rather odd argument.

7. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster New Member

+66
    Atheist
    Private
    I didn't even see this before making my previous posting in this thread:

Please keep your Royalist nonsense and Dominionism north of the the border. We don't need it down here in the secular American republic. Our religious and non-religious people have just fine without either.

No state religion for 230 years and no royalty for 243 years. Let's keep it that way America!

(On topic: Science is good!)

8. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+569
    Humanist
    Private
    Let's keep it that way world! (Many of us are not American).

9. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I can go all my life without ever using something origin sciences gave us. As for actual science, not sure you realize this world would cease to exist if not for His people. We are the only reason it is allowed to continue. His people have permission to use what they need in the world. That does not mean it is all great and good. It just means that is how it is.

10. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    ?? Border? The coming forever kingdom is all the world. Only believers will be allowed on the planet.

Americans tend to think the world revolves around them. My opinion is that the more secular your nation becomes, the closer it moves to it's doomsday.
    False. Christians are Royalty! Always were.
    OK, so another atheist weighs in that science is good.

11. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    The medium of the net has no connection to origin science. It is actual science. The OP talked about weighing the good with the bad.

12. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,581
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Sounds like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil...

13. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Yes quite similar. I think the greatest knowledge on earth and most important is the knowledge of God, so we can be saved. Science does not have that at all in all it's storehouses. Not a drop. So it seems there is not a whole lot of knowledge of good there! No wonder the world is in a mess with science front and center.

Now when we hear some folks here pontificating about 'ethics' without God in science, basically they only have the bad to choose from for any ethics..so called. More like 'deathics'! The deathics of science!

14. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+3,017
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    So bad science is the science that disagrees with your preconceived ideas. You can't actually point out any errors in it, all you can do is claim it's satanic and evil. And when asked for evidence to support your counterclaims, all you can do is say, "You can't prove I'm wrong!"

15. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,142
    Christian
    Married
    It's not Science front and center ... it's people front and center.

Recall that you believe that God brought the flood upon a very technically primitive world.

16. A_Thinker

+4,142
    Christian
    Married
    dp

17. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Science acts as a convincing character witness against the Bible.

While lying about being neutral, when called upon to do so, it will use its own terminology to override the Bible's terminology to convince the judicial system to rule against God and His children.

The Scope's Monkey Trial, Roe v Wade, and the persecution of Judge Moore all couldn't have occurred without science coming to the aid of the Devil.

18. A_Thinker

+4,142
    Christian
    Married
    Your view is clouded ... and narrow. Mankind doesn't need Science to deny God. Recall that that started at the beginning of the world.

I don't think that you'll find even one instance of the resistance to God which is portrayed in the Bible ... in any way aided and abetted by Science.

Neither Egypt, nor Babylon, nor Assyria, nor Rome, nor the Jewish leadership od Jesus' day ... were, in any way motivated by Science ... in their resistance /opposition to God. Nor was Science motivational in the great conflicts and atrocities of our day (i.e. the World Wars, the Holocaust, Stalin's purges, Mao's revolution, etc.).

OTOH, Influenza outbreaks, the Black Plague, cholera, Malaria, Smallpox, Polio, etc. killed significant portions of the human population ... UNTIL modern Science brought an end to most of these horrors.

Also, recognize that even Christians use the products of Science in their promulgation of Christianity ... television, radio, the printing press, etc. ...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  19. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I disagree.
    But when mankind is ready to deny God, science is there to assist him in his defense of his decision.
    Eve appealed to her empirical senses to override her obedience to God's command.
    Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

"And when academians saw that Darwin's tree was convincing for evolution, and that it could be mapped out in a connect-the-dots format that was pleasant to the eyes, and a course to be desired to make themselves [Homo] sapiens, they did take of that course, and did give also to the Christians with them, and they did follow suit also."

20. A_Thinker

+4,142
    Christian
    Married
    That's not Science ... that's self-gratification.

You're spinning ...

Neither Egypt, nor Babylon, nor Assyria, nor Rome, nor the Jewish leadership od Jesus' day ... were, in any way motivated by Science ... in their resistance /opposition to God. Nor was Science motivational in the great conflicts and atrocities of our day (i.e. the World Wars, the Holocaust, Stalin's purges, Mao's revolution, etc.).

OTOH, Influenza outbreaks, the Black Plague, cholera, Malaria, Smallpox, Polio, etc. killed significant portions of the human population ... UNTIL modern Science brought an end to most of these horrors.

Also, recognize that even Christians use the products of Science in their promulgation of Christianity ... television, radio, the printing press, etc. ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.