Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not the one doing the spitting. Jesus was manifest to take away our sin, and IN HIM THERE IS NO SIN. So if you keep sinning, it is you who are trampling on the Blood of Jesus and the Spirit of Grace
But that contradicts 1 John 1:8, which describes our present state.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Confession (agreement) & repentance. They are used interchangeably, particularly in 1 John 1:9.
Does this have to be done over and over sometimes...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God Bless!
1 John 1:9 is the way of life for the spiritual Christian, hands down.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God Bless!
Based on 1 John 1:8, sounds like it. We continue to sin, and should realize this, and therefor continue to repent, ask forgiveness (the Our Father says this), and with His help, stand up and walk again. It's a journey, daily, hourly.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here) (while we are here)...?
That dichotomy, as exhibited in this thread, really goes back to Eternal Security vs. Conditional Security.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Based on 1 John 1:8, sounds like it. We continue to sin, and should realize this, and therefor continue to repent, ask forgiveness (the Our Father says this), and with His help, stand up and walk again. It's a journey, daily, hourly.
There are some in these forums that believe in the doctrine of "sinless perfection," which is the belief that once sealed with the Spirit and saved, that the person no longer is able to sin because of the Spirit of God dwelling inside them. Just giving you a heads up, because there is a can of worms about to be opened up over this issue.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As for this discussion, I ask this one question, and ask all of you to honestly and truthfully answer the "why" or "why not" part of this question...?

This/these are the questions: "Why" "would you not make your humble repentance a way of life"...?

"What is the source of (your) resistance" to it...?

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are some in these forums that believe in the doctrine of "sinless perfection," which is the belief that once sealed with the Spirit and saved, that the person no longer is able to sin because of the Spirit of God dwelling inside them. Just giving you a heads up, because there is a can of worms about to be opened up over this issue.
Thank you, that helps.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That dichotomy, as exhibited in this thread, really goes back to Eternal Security vs. Conditional Security.
How does that have anything to do with making repentance a way of life or not...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Such a thing is what I strive for and long for...but it is not within my experience. If my repentance is therefore not genuine, then even more reason for me to repent again to try and get it right. As long as I sin, I must needs repent, and ask the Lord to perfect me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
But that contradicts 1 John 1:8, which describes our present state.

1 John 1:8 is not talking about a Christian. The next verse is how to become a Christian and must be read in context together. 1 John 1:7 is a Christian. Notice, that person has the Spirit, who does not lead us into sin.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As for this discussion, I ask this one question, and ask all of you to honestly and truthfully answer the "why" or "why not" part of this question...?

This/these are the questions: "Why" "would you not make your humble repentance a way of life"...?

God Bless!
And if there is "no harm" or hurt in doing it (other than to your own pride) why would you not (do it) (make it (repentance) a way of life)...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God Bless!
I think for the Christian that seeks to love Christ Jesus, we seek to follow his commandments (John 14:21); but we fall short every day, because there is none righteous (Romans 3:10). So for that person, repentance is a non-negotiable way of life, either instinctively, or consciously. However, many times we can be blinded by our own pride due to ignorance, or stubbornness.

Every sincere Christian would tell you they repent from sin every day of their life.

But the reality and truth of the matter is, we can always repent more sincerely and humbly before God, which is why we are called to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, and to run our race for the prize that does not fade away.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such a thing is what I strive for and long for...but it is not within my experience. If my repentance is therefore not genuine, then even more reason for me to repent again to try and get it right. As long as I sin, I must needs repent, and ask the Lord to perfect me.
Couldn't have said it better, brother.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
1 John 1:8 is not talking about a Christian. The next verse is how to become a Christian and must be read in context together. 1 John 1:7 is a Christian. Notice, that person has the Spirit, who does not lead us into sin.
I don't see any evidence of a break between 7 and 8. 2:1 clearly envisions the possibility of a Christian sinning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here) (while we are here)...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Some times it takes a big act of God to change your heart to repent for life. It took three days to sit in a fishes body to repent for Johnna .

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Some times it takes a big act of God to change your heart to repent for life. It took three days to sit in a fishes body to repent for Johnna .
But is it a one time act or thing, or is it, or should it be a way of life...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does that have anything to do with making repentance a way of life or not...?
Eternal Security means that once you get Saved, your will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him no longer matters. You are sealed. Only your first Repentance matters.

Conditional Security means that once you get Saved, your continued will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him DOES matter. God offers a secure place to engage with Him, but you must continually choose that/Him, including on-going repentance, as necessary.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Comments...?

God Bless!
Do all Christians still sin? Do you or I live a sinless life? Since we sin, then should we not repent of our sin or should we remain unrepentant and keep on sinning? Does that answer your question?

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Thanks for the heads up!

I don't agree that people are incapable of sinning after salvation, but if others do that is between them and the One they will face, we will all face, on Judgement Day.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0