Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It says how many times does it say to FORGIVE someone else, not SIN!
Scripture says "if a brother sins against us". What is a brother?

Regardless of that however, Jesus says to forgive. If God wants us to forgive that many times then how many times will God forgive us?

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Both.

Repentance unto salvation is a one time event.

Repentance unto godly conversation (way of life) is a life-long process.

One must first be saved in order to begin the growth into Christ-likeness though.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

How many times does it say to repent here?

It doesn't say to only repent once in life. There are other scriptures warning Christians to repent of current sins proving future sins are not auto-forgiven when one is born again/saved.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There are people who believe the apostles when they say we are dead to sin, and not in the flesh, but in the Spirit. And other apostles who say a Christian cannot sin because of the seed of the Father in them.

And there are others who argue with the apostles, and call them liars.
Why would, or would you not (want to) repent daily and/or making it a way of life...?

"Why is that" exactly...?

Why would you fight against it, and/or resent it, and/or "spit on it" (Him) basically...?

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Both.

Repentance unto salvation is a one time event.

Repentance unto godly conversation (way of life) is a life-long process.

One must first be saved in order to begin the growth into Christ-likeness though.
So, it does continue to be a "way of life" right...?

God Bless!

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, there is the big one time turn around event in life for many people, but they will still sin after that, and will need to repent during those times and or daily, and/or making it a way of life, after that as well...

You will get puffed up with pride if you do not, and that much is pretty much nearly a certainty...
Sure, except for the problem that the NT doesn't use the term repent for that. I'm not disagreeing. But I'd rather use Biblical terms the way the Bible does.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There are still sins that we don't recognize until after the fact, or those that we don't yet have a good handle on (after we get Saved).
Agree, so what should we do about those...? Especially when they are shown to us...? What is the right way (and wrong way) to respond when they are shown to us...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, it does continue to be a "way of life" right...?

God Bless!
It does indeed. But the motivation for the one repentance is not the same motivation for the other repentance.

The first is the repentance from unbelief, which causes the person to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ and be saved. The motivation there is to receive the free gift of everlasting life.

The second type of repentance is a continual process, by which the Christian recognizes the sin in his life through the understanding given him by the Spirit and the Word of God, and he turns from it, that he may no longer defile himself; for he who is saved has the Spirit of God dwelling in him, and he who has the Spirit of God dwelling in him is the temple of God. Therefore, a Christian seeks to repent from uncleanness in order to please the Father, and to walk humbly before the Lord God.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here) (while we are here)...?

Comments...?

God Bless!
It's a time of decision, an act of God, that starts a new life. The two concepts are not in contradiction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why would, or would you not (want to) repent daily and/or making it a way of life...?

"Why is that" exactly...?

Why would you fight against it, and/or resent it, and/or "spit on it" (Him) basically...?

God Bless!

I'm not the one doing the spitting. Jesus was manifest to take away our sin, and IN HIM THERE IS NO SIN. So if you keep sinning, it is you who are trampling on the Blood of Jesus and the Spirit of Grace

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure, except for the problem that the NT doesn't use the term repent for that. I'm not disagreeing. But I'd rather use Biblical terms the way the Bible does.
Does the Bible talk about having a constant or consistent "repentant" heart and/or attitude, even after being saved and/or having repented once or anything...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't say to only repent once in life. There are other scriptures warning Christians to repent of current sins proving future sins are not auto-forgiven when one is born again/saved.

IF you sin, yes. But the power of the Spirit is given to walk in, not quench.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So if you keep sinning, it is you who are trampling on the Blood of Jesus and the Spirit of Grace
That is why I keep repenting, and humbly ask His forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does the Bible talk about having a constant or consistent "repentant" heart and/or attitude, even after being saved and/or having repented once or anything...?

God Bless!
I don't think the Bible uses the description of a "repentant heart," however in Psalm 51 it does use the description of having a "contrite and broken spirit/heart," which I believe would be the same condition as repentance inside a person. Repentance and contrition are two sides of the same coin, if not the same side.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not the one doing the spitting. Jesus was manifest to take away our sin, and IN HIM THERE IS NO SIN. So if you keep sinning, it is you who are trampling on the Blood of Jesus and the Spirit of Grace
(not saying that I am doing that, but)...?

Is it better than walking in pride, or your own pride and/or self-righteousness...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here) (while we are here)...?

Comments...?

God Bless!
I would say both.

It is of course inseparable from becoming a Christian to begin with, but unless you manage to live a perfect life after becoming a Christian, I can't see how one could avoid having to repent afterward.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agree, so what should we do about those...? Especially when they are shown to us...? What is the right way (and wrong way) to respond when they are shown to us...?
Confession (agreement) & repentance. They are used interchangeably, particularly in 1 John 1:9.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is why I keep repenting, and humbly ask His forgiveness.
Amen!

He died not only for that, but also so that we could get forgiveness instantly when we humble ourselves or repent (all the time if necessary) (and those walking in truth, realize it is)...

God Bless!

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0