Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Eternal Security means that once you get Saved, your will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him no longer matters. You are sealed. Only your first Repentance matters.

Conditional Security means that once you get Saved, your continued will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him DOES matter. God offers a secure place to engage with Him, but you must continually choose that/Him, including repentance, as necessary.
If it's conditional security, it's not very secure in the first place, friend.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
All I know is that the Early Church required a 10 year penance (abstaining from the Eucharist and remaining in the back of the church) if a Christian killed someone inadvertently in a fight. Hence, the Early Church absolutely did not view repentance as a one-time act.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it's conditional security, it's not very secure in the first place, friend.
As long as it is driven by the conviction of the Holy Spirit (not the Letter), it is secure.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As long as it is driven by the conviction of the Holy Spirit (not the Letter), it is secure.
Yet it is still conditional based upon the willingness of man to walk in the Spirit, and therefore not secure because man is fallible.

However, scripture states that we are not born again by the will of man, but only by the will of God (John 1:12-13). It is not of ourselves that we are saved, but only by the free gift given by God (Ephesians 2:8). Eternal security is a doctrine that rests in the grace of God, whereas the former rests in the ability of man.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Eternal Security means that once you get Saved, your will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him no longer matters.

That's ridiculous, absurd... I believe you are eternally saved, and secured, from the moment of being saved... but to not (after that) not even try to get in and align your will ect, with His, ect, is just very, very absurd and/or very ridiculous...

Conditional Security means that once you get Saved, your continued will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him DOES matter. God offers a secure place to engage with Him, but you must continually choose that/Him, including repentance, as necessary.

Again , ridiculous, salvation is not conditional, and if regardless of that, you do not even try to align your will, heart, mind, emotions with His...? If you do not try or seek to do that, then I don't think you were even ever saved in the first place and/or to begin with...

And I would add that none of us should be judging each other or one another in this or by this either, or also...

God Bless!

• Winner
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do all Christians still sin? Do you or I live a sinless life? Since we sin, then should we not repent of our sin or should we remain unrepentant and keep on sinning? Does that answer your question?
If your saying it should be a way of life and/or very regular, then, yes...

God Bless!

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Eternal Security means that once you get Saved, your will, cooperation, alignment, agreement with Him no longer matters. You are sealed. Only your first Repentance matters.
This statement only makes sense if all you think matters is whether people go to heaven or hell. Jesus came, among other things, to call people to join him in spreading the Kingdom. It matters to him that we do our job. We shouldn't have to be threatened with eternal torture to get us to do that.

(This assumes that eternal security is true, which I'm not asserting.)

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Those are the two prevailing theories (and their ramifications). If you don't like those, you will have to devise a third one.
That's like saying your eternally saved and/or/but should not have to (nor do you even want to) (after that) make a commitment or see any point to the (ongoing) process of sanctification...?

Again, ridiculous, absurd...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
But is it a one time act or thing, or is it, or should it be a way of life...?

God Bless!

The very definition of repentance is not doing it any more, repenting means stopping the very act, at least it use to.

But we all sin, and this is the reason we are saved from hell and death, you dont earn forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The very definition of repentance is not doing it any more, repenting means stopping the very act, at least it use to.

But we all sin, and this is the reason we are saved from hell and death, you dont earn forgiveness.
Actually it simply means "a change of heart and/or mind, or mind", and it doesn't mean your not still going to sin sometimes, or still be in some sins sometimes, anymore (at all) after that... Hence the reason to have and/or adopt and/or accept repentance as a way of life...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I would add that none of us should be judging each other or one another in this or by this either, or also...
Declaring the competing doctrines found in Scripture is not an act of personal judgment. It is an attempt to discern what God wants from us, personally. And that wrestling is Scriptural,

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." Philippians 2:12-13 NKJV

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NKJV

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We shouldn't have to be threatened with eternal torture to get us to do that.
We are not. We are threatened by not being found in Him, even though we DID surrender at one point.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's like saying your eternally saved and/or/but should not have to (nor do you even want to) (after that) make a commitment to the process of sanctification...?
Making said commitment to the process of sanctification (daily, after Salvation) IS the teaching of Conditional Security.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Making said commitment to the process of sanctification (daily, after Salvation) IS the teaching of Conditional Security.
Only if your trusting in that, or think that saves and/or saved you, which is what I take issue with...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only if your trusting in that, or think that saves and/or saved you, which is what I take issue with...
What saves you is staying in the "dance" with the Holy Spirit, and not leaving. That is the pivotal "condition" in Conditional Security.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What saves you is staying in the "dance" with the Holy Spirit, and not leaving. That is the pivotal "condition" in Conditional Security.
Doesn't God "compel you" or draw you, or make you to, (or made you to (and for), long ago) or predestine you, or "whatever", to do that after you are saved...? Or "seals" or already sealed you, to do that (commit to the ongoing process of sanctification)...? And it "all Him" basically, and "none of you"...?

But I will never judge another based on that though, cause that is where we make a (sinful) mistake...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My middle name
should have been Repent.

Bob Repent Bow_ _ _ _

Needed daily up top the mountain.

Mentioned maybe 20 times
in todays sermon.

John the Baptist one of my heroes.

True repentance is a gift from the Holy Spirit that not all have.

Pray to hopefully receive.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Doesn't God "compel you" or draw you, or make you to, (or made you to (and for), long ago) or predestine you, or "whatever", to do that after you are saved...? Or "seals" or already sealed you, to do that (commit to the ongoing process of sanctification)...? And it "all Him" basically, and "none of you"...?

But I will never judge another based on that though, cause that is where we make a (sinful) mistake...

God Bless!
Saying "I would be doing this anyway", "regardless if whether or not I'm truly saved or not saved, or not, or "whatever", doesn't matter"... "I was made and born (by God) (predestined by Him) to do this regardless" and let God judge my own individual salvation (in the end), let alone anyone else's...?

An let me not judge anyone else's (by that or this) either...

It is "for us" not God, and "for us" and what is (always) "best for us" "in this life" regardless of any other kind of life that exists and/or after this...

Why would you not want to do what it is "best for you"...? not to mention "very good for everyone else around you or that has to do, or put up with, and/or deal with you" as well...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0