quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't about whether privacy exist, so please don't derail the thread with that subject

When someone tries to invade your privacy (person to person) what do you do? What do you do when a person ask you something very personal that they really have no right to? How do you do deal with an "invasive" person?

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't about whether privacy exist, so please don't derail the thread with that subject

When someone tries to invade your privacy (person to person) what do you do? What do you do when a person ask you something very personal that they really have no right to? How do you do deal with an "invasive" person?
Learn to establish boundaries and learn use words like No, I am not interested in or comfortable discussing that topic with you and I don’t want to talk about it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: quietpraiyze
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like a really good way to. respond, clear and decisive and polite. I think I will try that.
I value my privacy in certain things and have found myself sometimes answering questions that I would never ask anyone else. I don't have anything to hide but some
things should be private.
I think it shows lack of respect on the side of the questioner too.

Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

name_is_irrelevant

Jun 16, 2018
Farton
✟6,276.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Tell them you choose not to share those details with them. If they're a respectful person, they will accept this. If they're disrespectful and try to push, then you don't want to share details with them anyway, you can't trust them. Be careful about what you share at work, at church, in any kind of institution as there are people whose purposes for being nosy are to gain leverage. These people often get butthurt when you choose not to share things with them, they have an entitlement mentality, so be doubly vigilant about defending your boundaries with those people, they also tend to be the ones with loose mouths that gossip to everyone about everything. Say no, and escalate as appropriate.

• Winner
Reactions: quietpraiyze
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I value privacy but not to the point that I feel that people who ask questions are invading it. I have the right to share what I want and not answer or even point out that this isn't something I choose to share. I am in control. Mostly, I don't mind sharing about my life because I feel it is often a door that I can also share God. If you are asking about my personal life then I assume that you are giving me permission to talk about what shapes me and that is God's presence in my life. The place I draw the line is in sharing much about my children and their lives. This area of my life is not for me to share because it is about their lives. I also don't feel the need to give information about my past life, especially sins that I have repented from unless I feel that God wants me to share for their benefit. I also don't give ammo to people who I feel want it to harm me. I do pick my friends carefully and don't share too much too early in a friendship.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're living in an age where you might as well get over the fact your privacy and information are being invaded. A few weeks ago I stopped in at a liquor store to buy a small bottle of Brandy, and I used my debit card to buy it. The next day I had ads popping up on my Facebook for the exact brand of stuff I bought at the liquor store. And it's going to get worse. The government has what they call "fusion centers" where they collect data on everyone that's on the grid. At any time they can haul you in, sit you down, and throw a book at you, filled with some of the most intimate things about your life. No kidding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like a really good way to. respond, clear and decisive and polite. I think I will try that.
I value my privacy in certain things and have found myself sometimes answering questions that I would never ask anyone else. I don't have anything to hide but some
things should be private.
I think it shows lack of respect on the side of the questioner too

This my experience. It bothers me because I have a tendency to be polite in general which I think sometimes conveys the wrong message. I do think it's disrespectful and I need to have a stern retort to let others know that...

Upvote 0