Is Observing the 7th day Sabbath a Requirement for Salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

1Corinthians 13:2 - agape
Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May be. There again, they may know. What folks also fail ,or choose not ,to see is that the seventh day Sabbath proceeded all of it. I do think there previously was also an unwritten moral law that God eventually had to put down in stone with his own finger. Running after other gods seemed to be the issue then, as the people had a golden calf made a few short days after Moses left. I often think about exactly how long that was after they left Egypt. God made it pretty clear He was God when He parted the Red Sea and dropped food out of the sky 6 days a week right before their eyes. They probably gathered manna in the morning while making the idol in the afternoon. Could you imagine what God was thinking as He looked down at them? I can't help but chuckle when I think about it, but I'd bet He didn't think it was too funny.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the main misunderstanding here is what is the Mosaic law? Is it the ten commandments or another law? This is where a sincere study should begin.
If you want to start there, you need to be looking at a DIFFERENT word: Covenant.

The Mosaic covenant is NOT "the Law." A covenant is a binding agreement between 2 parties. The agreement came after the statement of the 10 commandments; the other 603 commands came AFTER the making of the covenant and comprise in legal terms a "rider" document. That was a common practice in establishing covenants in the ancient near east. The riders would often continue on after a covenant had been changed or updated.

EDIT: Or, should I say, was it the entire Mosaic law only for the Israelites or was only part of it? According to one website, it is divided up into three parts: moral, ceremonial, and social.
The Mosaic covenant was ONLY between God and the people of Israel. It was never divided up into various parts. Even James says that to violate in any one point is to violate the whole.

Upvote 0

belovedgeliebt

Oct 24, 2016
Cleveland, TN
✟7,987.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you want to start there, you need to be looking at a DIFFERENT word: Covenant.

The Mosaic covenant is NOT "the Law." A covenant is a binding agreement between 2 parties. The agreement came after the statement of the 10 commandments; the other 603 commands came AFTER the making of the covenant and comprise in legal terms a "rider" document. That was a common practice in establishing covenants in the ancient near east. The riders would often continue on after a covenant had been changed or updated.

The Mosaic covenant was ONLY between God and the people of Israel. It was never divided up into various parts. Even James says that to violate in any one point is to violate the whole.

But wasn't part of the Mosiac law established before there was even Moses or any Jews? The ten commandments were around before there was Moses or Jews.

Upvote 0

belovedgeliebt

Oct 24, 2016
Cleveland, TN
✟7,987.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
May be. There again, they may know. What folks also fail ,or choose not ,to see is that the seventh day Sabbath proceeded all of it. I do think there previously was also an unwritten moral law that God eventually had to put down in stone with his own finger. Running after other gods seemed to be the issue then, as the people had a golden calf made a few short days after Moses left. I often think about exactly how long that was after they left Egypt. God made it pretty clear He was God when He parted the Red Sea and dropped food out of the sky 6 days a week right before their eyes. They probably gathered manna in the morning while making the idol in the afternoon. Could you imagine what God was thinking as He looked down at them? I can't help but chuckle when I think about it, but I'd bet He didn't think it was too funny.

Yes, I agree with you. Many fail or choose not to see that the seventh day Sabbath came before there was any Jew. The ten commandments are eternally binding because they are a part of God's character: http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/the-ten-commandments-god.html. So, to say that the ten commandments were done away with is to say that there is no God. :(

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But wasn't part of the Mosiac law established before there was even Moses or any Jews?
No. Prior to Moses there were a series of covenants: The Adamic, The Noahic and the Abrahamic. Certain elements of those covenants were duplicated in the Mosaic. (like circumcision)

And as I said earlier - you need to lose the term "law" as it relates to God's commands. It was an unfortunate translation choice when the LXX translators used nomos (law) for Torah. (Teaching)
The ten commandments were around before there was Moses or Jews.
Not as a defined set of commandments.

Unless you believe the Talmudic assertions that the Torah scroll (Genesis thru Deuteronomy) was around in the Garden of Eden and was the "stone" that Jacob laid his head on at Beth El.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Heb 8:6-10 NEW Covenant made for the entire NT saints - is a quote of Jeremiah 31:31-33 as we all know.

The reason Paul includes Gentiles in that - is because of Romans 2 and Romans 9.

bobryan,

1. You are misunderstanding the context.
Yes they concerning the same new covenant concerning the cross of salvation.
However, the context of Jeremiah 31 is about the new covenant being applied to the nation of Israel in the last days when they will become the head of the nations and fulfill their parts of the Abrahamic and Davidic covenants.

2. The reason the gentiles have the new testament in Christ blood is really because the jews were prophesied they would reject the kingdom offer and that the church was pre-destined to come to pass.
Romans 9-11 brings this out.

3. Romans 2 is talking about the jews who had the covenants to begin with and rejected the kingdom offer they had to be saved by the blood and not the law and this made them a true jew.

4. Since we the gentiles who are in the church are a true jew because of salvation being offered to us and us accepting it and because of the fact we have been grafted in.

5. This is separate from the earthly calling of the head of the nations of Israel in the Kingdom age. Isaiah 2:2-4; Isaiah 9:6-7 etc.

6. Jeremiah 31 plainly says that the new covenant offered to Israel was based on repentance and when they would do that as a nation then no man would have to teach them etc. This didn't happen in Jeremiah's day, nor at Calvary or through A.D. 70 or 1948 or any other time because Israel is still back slidden and most of them are atheists in places.

7. The specific kingdom covenant promises of Israel has to be kept separat from the church age and its place in the kingdom.

8. We are being trained for the kingdom right now 2 Timothy 2:12; if we suffer we shall reign and we will be kings, priests and rulers Revelation 4 and 5 etc. We will not be at the head of the nations such as Israel.

9. Christ will be ruler over all the earth and Israel and then King David and the 12 apostles will rule over the 12 tribes of Israel and Abraham will be in the kingdom and his promises concerning the land of Israel will be for all nations but a specific area of Israel will be enlarged in the kingdom age.

10. Nobody is arguing that the new covenant of salvation is different in Jesus Day or the prophecy of Jeremiah 31. One has to read the whole context and understand the differences as well as what might be the same in the whole passage. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
[
I think the main misunderstanding here is what is the Mosaic law? Is it the ten commandments or another law? This is where a sincere study should begin.

EDIT: Or, should I say, was it the entire Mosaic law only for the Israelites or was only part of it? According to one website, it is divided up into three parts: moral, ceremonial, and social.

What does Christ say in Mark 7:6-13 regarding "Moses said"??

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
davew-ohev,

1. My point was that the jews were offered the new covenant not the gentiles. Paul said the same thing that the gentiles had no covenant.

The Heb 8:6-10 NEW Covenant made for the entire NT saints - is a quote of Jeremiah 31:31-33 as we all know.

The reason Paul includes Gentiles in that - is because of Romans 2 and Romans 9.

bobryan,

However, the context of Jeremiah 31 is about the new covenant being applied to the nation of Israel

Hebrews 8 says this --

4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law; 5 who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “See,” He says, “that you make all things according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.” 6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
A New Covenant

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says,

“Behold, days are coming, says the Lord,
When I will effect a new covenant
With the house of Israel and with the house of Judah;
9 Not like the covenant which I made with their fathers
On the day when I took them by the hand
To lead them out of the land of Egypt;
For they did not continue in My covenant,
And I did not care for them, says the Lord.
10 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws into their minds,
And I will write them on their hearts.
And I will be their God,
And they shall be My people.

It is the exact text from Jeremiah 31:31-33 - and is applied to all Christians as we both know. In fact - as we all know.

3. Romans 2 is talking about the jews who had the covenants to begin with and rejected the kingdom offer they had to be saved by the blood and not the law and this made them a true jew.

Romans 2 speaks specifically to gentiles - not only to physical Jews.
13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

25 For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice the Law; but if you are a transgressor of the Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

4. Since we the gentiles who are in the church are a true jew because of salvation being offered to us and us accepting it and because of the fact we have been grafted in.

Which means the Hebrews 8 New Covenant applies to Christians - Jews and Gentiles -- both.

God writes His Law on the heart - and Jeremiah was not speaking of his own according - but was an inspired prophet who "spoke from God" 2 Peter 1:19-21

5. This is separate from the earthly calling of the head of the nations of Israel in the Kingdom age. Isaiah 2:2-4; Isaiah 9:6-7 etc.

6. Jeremiah 31 plainly says that the new covenant offered to Israel was based on repentance

And Hebrews 11 shows that many of the OT saints were Jews.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 8 says this --

4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law; 5 who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “See,” He says, “that you make all things according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.” 6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
A New Covenant

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says,

And I will be their God,

It is the exact text from Jeremiah 31:31-33 - and is applied to all Christians as we both know. In fact - as we all know.

13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

25 For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice the Law; but if you are a transgressor of the Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Which means the Hebrews 8 New Covenant applies to Christians - Jews and Gentiles -- both.

God writes His Law on the heart - and Jeremiah was not speaking of his own according - but was an inspired prophet who "spoke from God" 2 Peter 1:19-21

6. Jeremiah 31 plainly says that the new covenant offered to Israel was based on repentance

in Christ,

Bob

1. Once again you have not read the whole context of Jeremiah 31 and you are fixated on just the new covenant of salvation itself and not the whole context.

2. Jews are saved today and were in the early church because most all of them were jews in the early church.
This has nothing to do with the KOH calling for the NATION OF ISRAEL WHICH IS SEPARATE FROM AN INDIVIDUAL JEW BEING SAVED AS PART OF THE CHURCH TODAY.

3. Jeremiah 31:-34 say the same basic thing but you have to read further on down in Jeremiah to understand the fulness of what was being spoken.
Also, you cannot account for the verses in both the Jeremiah and Hebrews passage that when Israel repents no man will have to teach them. Jews that don't understand the Messianic context are stuck in the law and they are blinded and will be till the end of the tribulation and they have to be taught today just as much as the gentile christians who need to have the proper understanding of Jesus ministry under the Mosaic law which was not to the church in the proper historical context. This context misunderstood is why the church suffers today and cannot rightly divide the word and is entangled in keeping the spirit of the law of Moses without realizing it and thus, not being able to understand the truth of the better promises of the new covenant. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

belovedgeliebt

Oct 24, 2016
Cleveland, TN
✟7,987.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
davew-ohev,

1. My point was that the jews were offered the new covenant not the gentiles. Paul said the same thing that the gentiles had no covenant.

bobryan,

However, the context of Jeremiah 31 is about the new covenant being applied to the nation of Israel

Hebrews 8 says this --

A New Covenant

And I will be their God,

1. Once again you have not read the whole context of Jeremiah 31 and you are fixated on just the new covenant of salvation itself and not the whole context.

I am "fixated" on paying attention to the Bible details listed above - that you need to ignore.

Because -- "Bible details matter". The idea of ignoring the text of Jeremiah 31 and Hebrews 8 where the NEW covenant text is actually written -- as a way to "imagine your way" to another more fictional version - is not at all compelling in the "Sola Scriptura" model that we use.

3. Jeremiah 31:-34 say the same basic thing but you have to read further on down in Jeremiah to understand the fulness of what was being spoken.

Here again - ignoring the actual text of the New Covenant would be like ignoring Exodus 20 to describe the Ten Commandments. It is pointless.

Also, you cannot account for the verses in both the Jeremiah and Hebrews passage that when Israel repents no man will have to teach them.

Why do you say that? Because you have not read John 16 and 1 John 2?? What is your point?

Jews that don't understand the Messianic context are stuck in the law

That is a "straw man" -- the argument is not that the "ONE Gospel" of Gal 1:6-9 as we see it in Jer 31:31-33 and Heb 8:6-10 -- is to be defined apart from Christ/Messiah. Why even go down that road?

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not quite. "Grafted in Israel" or "Commonwealth of Israel," sure;
but NOT "True Jews."

There are "true Jews" who believe the Gospel - and are called "Messianics." In the first 4 centuries we were called "the Sect of the Nazorean." But "true Jews" also include enemies of the Gospel (see Rom 11)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not quite. "Grafted in Israel" or "Commonwealth of Israel," sure;
but NOT "True Jews."

Romans 2 -- what does the Bible call a "true Jew"?

Hey - speaking of getting back on topic - what happened to the Sabbath topic on this thread?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are breaking God's law if you don't keep the Sabbath which is on Saturday. Breaking God's law comes with consequences one of which is death. God hasn't changed the Law. For more information read http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/sabbath/

Praying to the dead -- breaking God's Law?
Bowing down before Images -- breaking God's Law?

And yet do we say that all Catholics are lost?

Not at all.

"whatever is not of faith is sin" Romans 14
"to him that knows to do right - and does it not - to him it is sin" James 4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Catholics are lost, they worship another god not the God that sent his Son to die for us on the cross. They idolise Mary too, which is evil. I suggest Catholics read this section http://www.thepathoftruth.com/falsehood-exposed/catholicism/

If having error some place in the doctrinal set of beliefs that a given denomination has - means everyone in that group is lost -- then at "best" the members of all Christian denominations are lost - except for one. And at "worst" none of them are saved. Is that your view?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You can see I have provided an answer with a link which should answer the OP's question and responded to somebody who brought up Catholics, though I admit it was off topic.

It is not "off topic" if in fact your actual claim is "that having error some place in the doctrinal set of beliefs that a given denomination has - means everyone in that group is lost" -- in which case this thread topic is just asking about one of the many flaws they could have which in your view makes all of them lost.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.