The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why all the trembling of it is not talking about fear? This to me sounds like a desperate attempt to undo what the text says.

Sounds to me like you're misinterpreting what fear means. I feared disobeying my mother, but I wasn't afraid of her. And even though I feared disobeying her, I still did from time to time.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In addition, Galatians 5:19-21 says that the works of flesh are certain kinds of sins.
In Galatians 5:21, we see that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. In 1 John 3:9, we read - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Romans 8:1 teaches that walking after the Spirit and not after the flesh (sin) in Christ Jesus equates that we are not under the condemnation.
Walking according to the Spirit is descriptive of children of God. Those who are habitually dominated by the sinful nature (unbelievers) put their minds on the things of the sinful nature, but those who are habitually dominated by the Spirit (believers) put their minds on the things of the Spirit.

Romans 8:13 teaches that if we live after the flesh (sin), we will die, and if we put to death the misdeeds of the body by the power of the Spirit (i.e. we put away sin by the Holy Spirit) we will live (live eternally).
How about a little context. Romans 8:8 - So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Galatians 6:8-9 says if we sow to the flesh (sin) we will reap corruption, but if we sow to the Spirit, we will reap everlasting life. Verse 9 says that we should not faint in “well doing” for in due season will shall reap. “Well doing” is good works. Well doing is equated with sowing to the Spirit whereby we will reap everlasting life. So if we are not on that course of sowing to the Spirit, there is no everlasting life.
The one who is continuously (Greek present tense) sowing to his own corrupt, sinful nature which is opposed to God and unrenewed by the Holy Spirit shall of the flesh reap corruption. Our life here is sowing of one kind or another. But he who sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap everlasting life. In opposition to corruption, eternal life is produced by the Holy Spirit in those who put their faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ for salvation.

“And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).
The good deeds of the redeemed (those who have done good) are not the basis or means by which they obtained salvation but the evidence of it. A person's conduct, whether good or evil, reveals the condition of his heart.

Doing good flows inescapably from a heart that is saved and doing evil flows equally inescapably from a heart that is unsaved. Notice that ALL who come forth unto the resurrection of life (believers - vs. 24) are described as those who have done good and ALL that come forth unto the resurrection of damnation (unbelievers) are described as those who have done evil.

What did Jesus say in John 3:18? - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already.. Are believers described as "those who have done good" or those who have done evil?" Are unbelievers described as those "who have done evil" or "those who have done good?" *You must not confuse descriptive passages of scripture with prescriptive passages of scripture.

Belief Alone-ism teaches that one can do serious evil or sin on some level, and still be saved.
What is it with you and serious evil/sin? Those who are born of God/genuine believers practice righteousness and not sin. (1 John 3:10) But this does not mean that we never sin at all. (1 John 1:8-10)

Yet, Jesus says that those who have done evil will be unto the resurrection of damnation.
Take this to your implied conclusion and you had better be sinless 100% of the time or else be resurrected unto damnation.

Yes, we are saved by God's grace, but His grace is not a license for immorality or safety net to justify serious sin or evil on any level (See: Jude 1:4).
Who said it was and Jude is exhorting believers to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints (vs. 3) because certain ungodly men who have crept in unnoticed. Jude further describes these ungodly men as ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit. (vs. 19)

In CONTRAST to those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and PRESERVED in Jesus Christ. (vs. 1) Psalm 37:28 - For the Lord loves justice, And does not forsake His saints; They are PRESERVED FOREVER, But the descendants of the wicked shall be cut off.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that Jesus will condemn a born again disciple of His to hellfire for having a thought. I seriously doubt anyone else but you believes that.

Who was Jesus talking to in Matthew 5:28-30? If Jesus was talking to unbelievers than what good would it do to warm them of this one time sin if they don’t accept Him? It does not help an unbeliever to obey Matthew 5:28-30 if they don’t first accept Jesus as their Savior. If they obeyed Matthew 5:28-30, and rejected Jesus, they still would on the road to hell. So Jesus is talking to the believer and warning them against how sin can destroy their soul. Why didn’t Jesus just say to believe in Him and you don’t have to worry about if occasionally have lustful thoughts towards women?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sounds to me like you're misinterpreting what fear means. I feared disobeying my mother, but I wasn't afraid of her. And even though I feared disobeying her, I still did from time to time.

Did you tremble?

Anyways, when a person fears and trembles it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out it is talking about fear.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither of these negate the necessity for works because without God’s grace our works are still stained by our sin and filthy rags in His sight. Only after we have received Christ’s atonement are our works pleasing in His sight. No one is saying that we are saved by our merits, I think most everyone here is saying that a person who does not desire to serve God is not saved. If a person is not walking in the Spirit then they are grieving the Spirit and those who continuously grieve the Spirit are not children of God but instead they are sons of disobedience. If we are saved once and for all without having to ever do any works then what is Jesus saying in John 15:1-7, Luke 13:6-9, and Matthew 25:31-46? Is He saying that works are optional or are they mandatory?
Works are not forced or legalistic for those who are born of God. All genuine believers are fruitful, yet not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. No fruit at all demonstrates there is no root.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read Ezekiel 3:20. It says God will not remember any righteousness a person does if they commit iniquity. Seeing God associates with those who do righteousness (1 John 3:10), this means anyone who goes back to sin, it will be as if Jesus had never knew them because there is no more righteous deeds to remember for that person anymore.

You're tossing in verses that aren't germane.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you tremble?

Anyways, when a person fears and trembles it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out it is talking about fear.

It has to do with respect.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why all the trembling of it is not talking about fear? This to me sounds like a desperate attempt to undo what the text says.
No desperate attempt at all.

Strong's Concordance
phobos: panic flight, fear, the causing of fear, terror
Original Word: φόβος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: phobos
Phonetic Spelling: (fob'-os)
Definition: panic flight, fear, the causing of fear, terror
Usage: (a) fear, terror, alarm, (b) the object or cause of fear, (c) reverence, respect.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're tossing in verses that aren't germane.

It is a pertinent verse. For it is one possible reason why Jesus could not have know them. But even if this was not the case, Jesus could be referring to those believers who justified sin from the very beginning of their faith in Christ.

“If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:” (Psalms 66:18).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No desperate attempt at all.

Strong's Concordance
phobos: panic flight, fear, the causing of fear, terror
Original Word: φόβος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: phobos
Phonetic Spelling: (fob'-os)
Definition: panic flight, fear, the causing of fear, terror
Usage: (a) fear, terror, alarm, (b) the object or cause of fear, (c) reverence, respect.

Yes it is desperate. Fear and trembling done by people is referring to fear and not reverence. Why tremble if they are not in fear?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who was Jesus talking to in Matthew 5:28-30? If Jesus was talking to unbelievers than what good would it do to warm them of this one time sin if they don’t accept Him? It does not help an unbeliever to obey Matthew 5:28-30 if they don’t first accept Jesus as their Savior. If they obeyed Matthew 5:28-30, and rejected Jesus, they still would on the road to hell. So Jesus is talking to the believer and warning them against how sin can destroy their soul. Why didn’t Jesus just say to believe in Him and you don’t have to worry about if occasionally have lustful thoughts towards women?

Jesus was using hyperbolic language to make a point. Unless you think he was telling people to actually gouge out their eyes and lob off their hands.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is desperate. Fear and trembling done by people is referring to fear and not reverence. Why tremble if they are not in fear?
You remain desperate to make your case. It's not desperate to understand fear and trembling out of reverence for God (He is not a tyrant) and perfect love casts out fear.

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

As usual it's your interpretation verses the interpretation of most everyone else over the last 2000 years.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was using hyperbolic language to make a point. Unless you think he was telling people to actually gouge out their eyes and lob off their hands.

Slang is used many times in literal sentences that we use all the time. Just because a person may use a phrase that is slang does not mean their whole statement is a metaphor. For example: Bob can say, “Rick bought the farm so we had to set up funeral arrangements.”

We can clearly distinguish what is metaphor and what is literal in this above sentence.

So if Jesus is speaking in metaphor in Matthew 5:28-30, then is also speaking in metaphor in Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, and Luke 10:25-28?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You remain desperate to make your case. It's not desperate to understand fear and trembling out of reverence for God (He is not a tyrant) and perfect love casts out fear.

Some want others to see Yahweh as being like Moloch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How does one have perfect love so as to cast out fear?

1 John 2:5 says
“But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.”

Is one keeping His Word?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Slang is used many times in literal sentences that we use all the time. Just because a person may use a phrase that is slang does not mean their whole statement is a metaphor. For example: Bob can say, “Rick bought the farm so we had to set up funeral arrangements.”

Jesus wasn't being half hyperbolic and half literal.

So if Jesus is speaking in metaphor in Matthew 5:28-30, then is also speaking in metaphor in Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12.37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, and Luke 10:25-28?

Those verses aren't germane to Matthew 5:28-30.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does one have perfect love so as to cast out fear?

1 John 2:5 says
“But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.”

Is one keeping His Word?
The love of God is perfected in those who keep His word and keeping His word is the demonstrative evidence that we are in Him.

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0