Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The more faith in works, is the more faith in self, and the less faith in Christ.

Actually, the work a Christian does is the Lord working in them (Philippians 2:13, John 15:5). Any good work done is the Lord working through the believer. So all praise, and glory are given unto the Lord and not ourselves. Titus 2:14 talks about how Christ gave Himself for us (on the cross) so as to redeem us from all niquity and that we might be zealous of good works.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟97,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds to me like you are confusing justification with ongoing sanctification.

Not correct. I didn't want to open this additional issue, but this "justification, sanctification, glorification" concept is a theological construct, which, per the author of the OP, we might identify as a meme.

Yes, we are justified in your first tense of salvation construct. Then we need to deal with how else justified is used in Scripture, such as in the highly debated James verses.

"Sanctified" is used in Scripture for not only your second salvation tense, but also at minimum your first one.

IOW, the "justification, sanctification, glorification" is something someone made up likely to keep us from intruding on "salvation" with "works." And it has since become some type of a technical construct to keep us from reading verses like Phil2:12 that clearly states that we are commanded to work to accomplish (better = accomplish by work) our salvation. I understand why many like to change "salvation" to "sanctification" here, but it says "salvation," because, as you've identified, Salvation is a process discussed in, at minimum, your 3 tenses.

The facts from (exegesis) Scripture are at minimum what I've expressed already: Jesus commanded unbelievers to work to receive the gift of eternal life He gives. And Paul commands us to collaboratively work to accomplish our salvation with fear and trembling. Comprehensive Salvation takes collaborative work with God on the foundation that Salvation is only from and by God in Christ. By making "saved" a technical word for your first tense, this fact about salvation and our participatory work in it is being hidden and turned into an erroneous gospel that some here are referring to "Belief Alone-ism" or something similar.

I understand what this sounds like to you. It would have sounded the same to me before I redeemed years studying and teaching every use of the forms of the word Salvation in the NC Writings. Along with this I studied Biblical Faith.

If someone completely disobeys the command to work out their salvation then that would demonstrate they were never truly saved in the first place.

This is certainly the way some, as yourself, deal with the concept of loss of Salvation. Some say such ones were never saved, and some say such ones lost their salvation. This isn't the discussion I'm having at this time.

Whether we are still babes in Christ or mature in Christ we still have been saved by grace through faith in Christ.

We have been saved by grace through faith-obedience. We are being saved by grace through continuing/abiding/remaining and growing faith-obedience + collaborative works. We will be saved at the end of this process.

Be careful that you don’t fall into the trap of “type 2 works salvation.”

My goodness, Daniel... Now I have to be familiar with another name for another concept of works-salvation? I think not. Thanks anyway. I've found that the best resource is to just let our Text say what He says, and let others explain from Scripture why they disagree with Him. He requires the same from me.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Preaching the necessity of works to either "produce" or "maintain" salvation is indeed heresy. Man is saved by grace through faith and not by works. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9)

*Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28)

Neither of these negate the necessity for works because without God’s grace our works are still stained by our sin and filthy rags in His sight. Only after we have received Christ’s atonement are our works pleasing in His sight. No one is saying that we are saved by our merits, I think most everyone here is saying that a person who does not desire to serve God is not saved. If a person is not walking in the Spirit then they are grieving the Spirit and those who continuously grieve the Spirit are not children of God but instead they are sons of disobedience. If we are saved once and for all without having to ever do any works then what is Jesus saying in John 15:1-7, Luke 13:6-9, and Matthew 25:31-46? Is He saying that works are optional or are they mandatory?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, and you can absolutely obey someone without actually having respect or submission towards that person, but simply because doing the command is more convenient than facing the consequences of disobeying. Jesus did acknowledge, and even applaud, the Pharisees' strict adherence to the letters of the law, but condemns them for neglecting what really matters, i.e. justice, mercy and faithfulness (Matthew 23:23). The latter things are abstract concepts that can't be articulated with written regulation, and is impossible to draw out from one's life unless they are already in Christ. Nowhere did I mention or imply that worship refers to playing music and singing songs.

It seems that many people are againts the quote for its implied endorsement for License/Antinomianism ... but I really don't think it's the case, especially since the second sentence elaborates that "it" (obedience) is a fruit of salvation, not the cause of it.

Anyway, we both acknowledge that "faith" and "works" are both essential, and inseparable, parts of the Salvation package. We just disagree on how we read that particular anonymous comment about salvation. You think it speaks against the need for Christians to obey the Bible, I don't think it does.

Do you believe that a Christian is still saved if they abide in the sin of lusting after a woman, or lying, or stealing, etc? If so, then this is teaching that one can treat God's grace as a license for immorality and a person can do all kinds of unimaginable evils thinking they are saved by having a belief alone in Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, and you can absolutely obey someone without actually having respect or submission towards that person, but simply because doing the command is more convenient than facing the consequences of disobeying. Jesus did acknowledge, and even applaud, the Pharisees' strict adherence to the letters of the law, but condemns them for neglecting what really matters, i.e. justice, mercy and faithfulness (Matthew 23:23). The latter things are abstract concepts that can't be articulated with written regulation, and is impossible to draw out from one's life unless they are already in Christ. Nowhere did I mention or imply that worship refers to playing music and singing songs.

It seems that many people are againts the quote for its implied endorsement for License/Antinomianism ... but I really don't think it's the case, especially since the second sentence elaborates that "it" (obedience) is a fruit of salvation, not the cause of it.

Anyway, we both acknowledge that "faith" and "works" are both essential, and inseparable, parts of the Salvation package. We just disagree on how we read that particular anonymous comment about salvation. You think it speaks against the need for Christians to obey the Bible, I don't think it does.

Gotquestions (Which is a 4 point Calvinist website) teaches that if a believer goes prodigal (like the prodigal son did when he lived it up with prostitutes) they are still saved. Yet, they also contradict themselves and say that a believer will in time show a life that will not practice sin, if they do then there is serious room to question whether they had ever been saved to begin with. This means that Gotquestions (along with many other Christians today) do not hold to a consistent standard of Morality that needs to be upheld. We learn in Genesis 2:17 and Genesis 3 that Adam died spirituallly and not physically by disobeying God's command. The devil wanted to convince Eve that she could break God's command and not die. This same lie is being pushed by the devil today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billy93

Feb 24, 2021
Florida
✟14,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In this section of the forums we are not allowed to discuss Sinless Perfection at length or to promote it without what appears to be: Gaining points, warnings, and or eventual banning.

Sorry! I’m pretty new here; didn’t know.

What I can say is:

I am a Christian who believes in the Bible alone for my salvation. So I believe churches like the Catholic church and the Eastern Orthdox are unbiblical because they add extra biblical traditions like praying to the dead (like praying to Mary and the saints), and they bow down and or kiss statues (Among many other problems). So while I am strongly against Catholicism, I do agree generally (not in detail) with the use of their terms that the Bible teaches that there are mortal sins and non-mortal sins. Mortal sin (from a biblical perspective and not a Catholic one) is any sin that leads to spiritual death unless one confesses to Jesus, and forsakes such sins. Non-mortal sins (from a biblical perspective and not a Catholic one) are minor faults of character that will not necessarily condemn a person. Granted, again the Catholic church is not biblical (in my view), so not everything they say is mortal sin vs. non-mortal is correct. For I believe the Catholic church adds “man made” traditions to what the Bible says.

Anyways, Jesus gives us an example of mortal sin vs. non-mortal sin in Matthew 5:22 (that many Christians today either don't see or they refuse to accept). Lets read it.

“But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be answerable to the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be answerable to the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.” (Matthew 5:22) (NASB).​

The words in blue above are referring to non-mortal sins because they are punishment in earthly courts. The words in red above is in reference to a mortal sin because it is in reference to punishment in the after life in fiery hell. Granted, while I am King James Bible fan and it is my final word of authority, in this instance, the NASB translation helps to better clarify what is being said in the King James Bible (KJB). I use the terms “mortal sin” vs. “non-mortal sin” (even though it originates from Catholics) because otherwise it is difficult for other people to see what I am talking about. Terms I created for these (that is more biblical) is “grievous sin vs. errors of hidden faults,” (See: Genesis 18:20-23 and Psalms 19:12) or the sin unto death, vs. the sin not unto death (See: 1 John 5:16-17).

This is very interesting and makes sense; thank you.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, the work a Christian does is the Lord working in them (Philippians 2:13, John 15:5). Any good work done is the Lord working through the believer. So all praise, and glory are given unto the Lord and not ourselves. Titus 2:14 talks about how Christ gave Himself for us (on the cross) so as to redeem us from all niquity and that we might be zealous of good works.

Agreed. That is why we should not put our faith in our performance, but rather put our faith in Jesus as our only hope of salvation.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please, just tell me what you're getting at?

You said: "They teach the very dangerous, works are not necessary, when in fact:

James 2. God has chosen the poor of this world who are rich in faith—Salvation is gained by keeping the whole law—Faith without works is dead.

So, on that day of reckoning, when we stand to be judged, many will show up with their dead faith, and dead faith is no faith at all."

Faith without works is dead. But it's extremely difficult for a Christian to go though life without works. In other words virtually everyone ends up doing some good deeds during their life. So it's next to impossible to be without works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe that a Christian is still saved if they abide in the sin of lusting after a woman, or lying, or stealing, etc? If so, then this is teaching that one can treat God's grace as a license for immorality and a person can do all kinds of unimaginable evils thinking they are saved by having a belief alone in Jesus.

Likewise a person can falsely believe they are going to heaven based on their good morals and acts of charity.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said: "They teach the very dangerous, works are not necessary, when in fact:

James 2. God has chosen the poor of this world who are rich in faith—Salvation is gained by keeping the whole law—Faith without works is dead.

So, on that day of reckoning, when we stand to be judged, many will show up with their dead faith, and dead faith is no faith at all."

Faith without works is dead. But it's extremely difficult for a Christian to go though life without works. In other words virtually everyone ends up doing some good deeds during their life. So it's next to impossible to be without works.

Then you are saying as long as we do a few works along the way, we're fine and we need not be consistent?

Or that we should not concern ourselves with consciously bothering with works because they will happen automatically?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you are saying as long as we do a few works along the way, we're fine and we need not be consistent?

Or that we should not concern ourselves with consciously bothering with works because they will happen automatically?

Does James address quantity and consistency?

The works that count are the ones that take place by God working through us.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does James address quantity and consistency?

I asked you a question, and that only evades it.

The works that count are the ones that take place by God working through us.

Does James or anyone else in the bible say that?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I asked you a question, and that only evades it.

Does James or anyone else in the bible say that?

You asked me what I was saying. I didn't write anything that's in the Bible, but James did. So as far as the quantity and consistentity of works goes, what did James say about that?

Philippians 2:13, John 15:5, Titus 2:14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You asked me what I was saying. I didn't write anything that's in the Bible, but James did. So as far as the quantity and consistentity of works goes, what did James say about that?

Philippians 2:13, John 15:5, Titus 2:14

OK, if you'd rather not answer, fine, but I'm sure you know what that does for your argument.

Always a bad sign when they start skipping questions.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK, if you'd rather not answer, fine, but I'm sure you know what that does for your argument.

Always a bad sign when they start skipping questions.

"Then you are saying as long as we do a few works along the way, we're fine and we need not be consistent?"

No, I'm not saying that, or making that judgement on that one way or another. I'm going by what the Bible says about quantity and consistency of works needed to obtain salvation. So tell me, what does the Bible say about that?

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,339,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, I agree with Bible Highlighter re: "Stay the course" and I know you will, with or without encouragement.

One comment: It struck me when reading your post that I would not even give agreement to the part of the quote shown above. The works pendulum has been swung so far off center/truth, that these simple "memes" as you noted them, should not even be partially accepted anymore if we are to strive for truth and accuracy to be rid of the nonsense. They are stated in an underlying context that is not correct.

1. Salvation is God's plan and work. We could never have devised it, nor could we have put it into effect. Nor could we have qualified to take our Lord's place on the cross.

2. God is working to draw us to Christ by teaching us per John 6. Apart from his drawing and teaching we would not come to Christ - we would not believe in Him - in who He is - and we would not receive the gift of life only He gives.

So, what have we done so far? Nothing. And what could we do to overcome our fallen condition? Nothing.

3. Jesus Christ commands unbelievers to "work" to receive the gift He gives that remains for eternal life per John 6. So, we've been commanded by Christ to work to receive the gift of eternal life. No preacher standing on a stage trying to make us feel stupid for thinking we work to receive a gift has any standing against what Christ commands. In context, this "work" commanded by Jesus Christ is to listen to God and learn what He's teaching about His Son and Salvation and to believe what He teaches.

3a. God commands belief in the name of His Son per 1 John 3. No preacher telling us that obedience is a "work" has any standing against what God commands. The simple fact is that Faith and Obedience to God are so vitally interconnected that there really is no Faith apart obeying God.

4. When Paul writes in Eph 2 that we are saved by grace through faith apart from works, in context, could we make ourselves alive from the dead, could we make ourselves alive together with Christ, raise ourselves together with Him, seat ourselves with Him in the Heavens, could we make God show us the exceeding riches of His grace in Christ Jesus, could we have devised and implemented God's Plan to do such things!? The answer is, No! And this is why Paul says this is apart from our works. This is all God's plan and God's work. Only He can transition us from death to life and place us into Christ Jesus. Only God can grant us to His Son and into His Salvation plan and process. And only people can negate the fact that Jesus Christ commands unbelievers to work to receive this gift. God does His part that only He can do and God commands us to do what He requires us to do - to listen, learn and believe what He teaches - to obey Him in doing so.

5. The same Paul in Philippians 2 commands believers to "work to accomplish" our "salvation" with fear and trembling while God is energizing us to both will and do for His good pleasure. Salvation is a process - a process that we are commanded by God to collaboratively work with Him to accomplish. And Paul very clearly writes that we don't work for our salvation, and we do work for our salvation. It's up to us to understand him in context.

To say "We don't work for our Salvation, but rather from it" is misleading. We do work to receive our salvation: God is working to draw unbelievers to His Son and into His Salvation Plan and process by teaching about His Son and Salvation - Only God can do this > We do whatever work it takes as commanded to listen and learn from God the Father as He is working to draw us to and believe in His Son and into His Salvation Plan and process > God grants us to His Son and makes us alive together with His Son, raises us together with Him, seats us together with Him - only God can do this and He owes us nothing for our work in listening to Him and obeying Him by believing in His Son > We work with God as commanded to accomplish our Salvation.

We should no longer accept these half truths as they are stated in an underlying context that will condemn the Truth as some misplaced notion of "works salvation." It's man that has swung the pendulum to an extreme. Thankfully the Word of God corrects us.

The garbage from the group that claims we do not understand or acknowledge God's Grace is profoundly wrong and a horrendous accusation. I understand God's grace in doing what only He can do. I understand His grace in providing what I need to obey Him in doing what He commands me to do. I understand His grace in guiding, leading, energizing and enabling me in the salvation process as He trains me in "godliness" as He forms Christ in me and conforms me into the likeness of His first-born Son - my first-born brother and Lord Jesus Christ.

The false gospel you consistently speak against is a tragedy widely misleading people from the Truth of Biblical Faith and Salvation. It's proponents have obviously found your posts.

Thank you, GDL, for your response here. Thank you for your encouraging words. Glory to God! And thank you, too, for your detailed response. I read it all. I think I read it last night when it was late in the evening. I didn't have time then and I don't now to respond to your every point. I do agree that the works pendulum has swung way far the other direction, now disregarding the works of the Spirit done in our lives by the Spirit, by our faith coupled with our obedience to do what the Lord says for us to do.

I agree that Christians should not be accepting memes and passing them along as truth just because they sound good, or just because they have an appearance of truth. And they should not be adopting the thinking of these memes into their own lives, which many are doing without testing them against the Scriptures to make certain that what they are teaching are indeed truth.

Regarding salvation and eternal life with God, we are required of God to die with Christ to sin, to be transformed in heart and mind of the Spirit of God away from living for sin and self to now living for God and to his righteousness. We are required to walk in obedience to his commands, to walk according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh, to not make sin our practice, but to make righteousness our practice, etc.

For, if we do not make obedience to our Lord our practice, and if we do not walk according to the Spirit, but if we continue living in sin, we will die in our sins. We will not have eternal life with God. Eternal life with God is not guaranteed on the profession of faith in Jesus Christ but on our walk of faith in Jesus Christ until the very end. And we are all going to be judged by our works (Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Lu 9:23-26; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 1:5-9; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Rom 2:6-8; 2 Co 5:10, etc.).

Reactions: GDL
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,339,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is very harsh. She speaks the truth and means well. It may be uncomfortable to hear only if one thinks what is proposed is impossible and unreasonable and we are not used to hearing the truth preached
Mike, thank you! God bless you.

Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Then you are saying as long as we do a few works along the way, we're fine and we need not be consistent?"

No, I'm not saying that, or making that judgement on that one way or another. I'm going by what the Bible says about quantity and consistency of works needed to obtain salvation. So tell me, what does the Bible say about that?

Does the bible say how much we need to love God in order to get to heaven, or do we simply use a little common sense and assume we should love him as much as we can? Or put no limit on it?

Common sense tells me to do works whenever we can.

The bible doesn't put a number on it, but if you want to try doing as little as you can and still expect to get to heaven, that gamble is up to you. I can see it now, "But , God, the Holy Spirit didn't tell me to do any more works than I did, it's all his fault I didn't do enough.."

But remember, when we choose to do no more works, we choose to let our faith die, and for myself, I choose to endure till the end, meaning to keep the faith at all times and constantly do as God requires of me.

Upvote 0