Is morality in your opinion black and white or fluid?

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The metaphysical concept of a fluid morality does not correspond to reality.

Sure it does...it's objective morality that doesn't correspond to reality. People have opinions about what is moral and what's immoral. They act on these opinions...

The fact that they disagree on morality, yet all believe they're "correct" confers more with the idea that they're opinions (though deeply held opinions) and not facts.

You couldn't prove a moral fact, nor give any methodology for discovering moral facts...so what use is there in calling them facts? For all practical purposes, they look like opinions and function like opinions.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
There are so many positive and negative commandments in the bible, and jesus summed them up using his wisdom.

But people say that "love youre neighbour" is too nebulous a concept.

What does it actually mean, other than flow...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What is moral in a multiverse, other than rational attraction to being.

lets say your in a universe of canibals who plan to eat you. You may have to murder. Etc etc etc.

Theres probably an exception for every rule other than "take only one god" (for the theist at least).

I mean, logically, who holds a moral rule like "dont steal" (or one ought never steal) etc to be a necessary truth, true by definition? And therefore applicable in every conceivable possibility?

That more or less proves that morality is context dependent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sure it does...it's objective morality that doesn't correspond to reality. People have opinions about what is moral and what's immoral. They act on these opinions...

The fact that they disagree on morality, yet all believe they're "correct" confers more with the idea that they're opinions (though deeply held opinions) and not facts.

You couldn't prove a moral fact, nor give any methodology for discovering moral facts...so what use is there in calling them facts? For all practical purposes, they look like opinions and function like opinions.
Agent centred needs are facts, social rules are constructs.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
There is no such thing as right and wrong?

Is inappropriate content right or wrong?
inappropriate content is right in one universe, or more, only not this one. Because I say so, it was written in the terms and conditions that came attached to my placenta.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Theres a bell curve with low uncertainty at the extreme end of "heath, and its causes are good" and "ill health and its causes are bad", but in the middle we have the intricacies and uncertainties of life. What we actually need to do to achieve the one and avoid the other - this is based in fallible human rules and insights.

Empirical_Rule.PNG

Religiously speaking we have God and the righteous at one extreme, and the devil and the damned at the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well we all have needs for food for instance, which is why we regard famine as a natural evil, and poisoning as a moral evil.

Human_Fertilization.png

I disagree...I don't see anything as a "natural evil" and I can imagine instances where poisoning would be morally acceptable.

You have however, helped make my point. Everyone thinks their version of morality is the "right" one...further evidence that they are actually opinions.

Upvote 0

PerpetuallyCurious

Dec 18, 2015
England
✟7,755.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Fluid but there are boundaries.
The Bible says to obey your parents and authority however it also says give to the poor, homosexuality isn't right, you should not get drunk, women should wear modest clothing... so what if an authority figure contradicts one of these things?

Examples:
* Parents demand you to go to a gay wedding
* Your boss orders you to dress differently for people visiting
* Your husband says not to give anything else to the poor due to money difficulties

These can be hard moral choices to make and we'd all likely handle them differently.

However murder (killing someone on purpose due to them having wronged you), paedophilia, hatred, pride and other things I would say are rather immorally absolute and unjustifiable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is inappropriate content right or wrong?

That depends on purpose and context. inappropriate content may either be right or wrong for the individuals involved and for their purposes.

To give another example, is a knife right or wrong? A knife can be a civilized way of cutting food, and it can also be an uncivilized weapon used during a killing spree. One needs to look at the specifics of the situation to gauge its moral value.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Edmond Smith

Jan 5, 2016
United States
✟14,316.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
it's always about sex, with Christians.

why not ask if it's wrong to keep buying new cars?

Because that's not the question I want to ask? LOL...funny question

Sex is not wrong when comes to being a Christian.
Sex is sacred and a gift that God gave to husband and wife.
But that wasn't the question.

Is inappropriate content wrong?

I think you having a hard time understand someone's position on this matter.

Ok, so am I right or wrong?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Edmond Smith

Jan 5, 2016
United States
✟14,316.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
inappropriate content is right in one universe, or more, only not this one. Because I say so, it was written in the terms and conditions that came attached to my placenta.

LOL...okay
So there is right and wrong. you can't have it both ways.
There either is (which means right) or there isn't (which means wrong)
No matter what universe you say your from. Even in another universe, there is right or wrong.
LOL...you crack me up...

Upvote 0