Is morality in your opinion black and white or fluid?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am not if it is the right question to ask considering what I am about to ask. Anyways, do you believe that morality is absolute or fluid in your humble opinion? I know we have this category where morals and ethics of various issues are discussed daily, obviously. When I say fluid, I think that it could be relative and not absolute, but I wonder if morality is changed or if our view of what is moral or ethical changed. I recall, for example, that people say that morals have changed over the years or that we were more moral back then. These specific people point out what is wrong as examples. Others believe that morals are more fluid, for a lack of better terms and that morals are not or have never been black and white. So, what is YHO (your humble opinion) on this?

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not if it is the right question to ask considering what I am about to ask. Anyways, do you believe that morality is absolute or fluid in your humble opinion?

I don't have humble opinions. :p

When I say fluid, I think that it could be relative and not absolute, but I wonder if morality is changed or if our view of what is moral or ethical changed.

I think that morality is properly contextually absolute. That means that the basic principles and ultimate ends of morality are absolute, but the manner in which those principles and values apply to specific times and places can differ somewhat based on circumstances. I'm not at all suggesting that they can differ in an arbitrary way.

I suppose that an example might be marriage. That institution can differ over different cultures, and that could mean some differences in the way that ethics applies to the actions of the participants. However, that does not imply some sort of pure "relativism". The standard of evaluation would be constant as long as human nature remains the same.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If morality is fluid, then it isn't morality, it's just a set of preferences. Morality is not black and white in the sense that it is always right or wrong to take a certain action or in the sense that everyone agrees on what is moral, but it is black and white in the sense that it is always right or wrong to take a certain action in a certain situation. For example, killing someone else is generally considered to be morally wrong, but there are situations where it is morally acceptable to kill someone regardless of whether anyone else agrees.

Every generation likes to judge the generations before them and say that they've made made moral progress, but how do they know that they haven't made moral regress instead? What standard is available to them to judge which is which? Without an objective moral standard, they aren't talking about right and wrong, but simply about actions that they prefer. Moral ontology is different from moral epistemology, or in other words, the existence of morality is different from how we learn which actions are moral. So the fact that different cultures can disagree about what is moral does not mean that an objective moral standard does not exist because it can be that one or both of those cultures have incorrectly perceived what is moral.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...Anyways, do you believe that morality is absolute or fluid in your humble opinion?...
Definitely fluid.
But it doesnt flow just any old way.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am not if it is the right question to ask considering what I am about to ask. Anyways, do you believe that morality is absolute or fluid in your humble opinion? I know we have this category where morals and ethics of various issues are discussed daily, obviously. When I say fluid, I think that it could be relative and not absolute, but I wonder if morality is changed or if our view of what is moral or ethical changed. I recall, for example, that people say that morals have changed over the years or that we were more moral back then. These specific people point out what is wrong as examples. Others believe that morals are more fluid, for a lack of better terms and that morals are not or have never been black and white. So, what is YHO (your humble opinion) on this?

Morality is black and white but each situation is different.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Morality is black and white. My understanding of it can be fluid as I grow and learn. But what is moral or not is fixed.
I think its indisputable that morality has varied over time and also across cultures.
Christians especially should recognize this in the moral progress on display in their own scriptures.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wonder if morality is changed or if our view of what is moral or ethical changed.

What would be the difference?

I recall, for example, that people say that morals have changed over the years or that we were more moral back then. These specific people point out what is wrong as examples. Others believe that morals are more fluid, for a lack of better terms and that morals are not or have never been black and white. So, what is YHO (your humble opinion) on this?

Clearly they aren't "black and white", otherwise the "grey" area of moral dilemma's would not exist, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟835,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The opposite of black and white is not 'fluid' but 'shades of grey'. Many moral situations call for nuances that make it a shades of grey kind of thing, rather than a black and white kind of thing.

Reactions: Zelda_Freak
Upvote 0

dickyh995

Dec 6, 2013
Essex - United kingdom
✟41,115.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
History shows that morals change (and generally approve) over time. Slavery, discrimination of women etc.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
History shows that morals change (and generally approve) over time. Slavery, discrimination of women etc.

History shows that the perception of morality changes, not that morality changes. If two people disagree about what is moral, that doesn't mean both are right, or that the person who happens to be on the side of the majority is right, but that one or both of them have incorrectly perceived what is moral. Otherwise, they aren't talking about morality, or what is right and wrong, but about what they are a group prefers.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
History shows that the perception of morality changes, not that morality changes. If two people disagree about what is moral, that doesn't mean both are right, or that the person who happens to be on the side of the majority is right, but that one or both of them have incorrectly perceived what is moral. Otherwise, they aren't talking about morality, or what is right and wrong, but about what they are a group prefers.
The Bible itself shows morality changing over time.
It shows thats whats acceptable to God and whats prescribed by God has changed over time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible itself shows morality changing over time.
It shows thats whats acceptable to God and whats prescribed by God has changed over time.

The Bible shows that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Morality is based off of God's character, which doesn't change.
Then the Bible must be really really wrong.

Most Christians, however, think the Bible is largely correct.
For them (if not for you), the Bible shows God's moral prescriptions for humans changing over time.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,115,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Morality is based off of God's character, which doesn't change.
I agree that God never changes but what God expects from sinful, imperfect man has changed. The scriptures show me that He expects more from man after the cross than He did before the cross.

Upvote 0