Is modern secular society headed down the path to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No I am saying we should get back to our Christian roots.
If I go back far enough, my roots aren't Christian, even post-Constantine.
That is what destingusihes us in that ideas like universities, hospitals, charities helping the needy (social justice) came as a result of Christian beliefs. The welfare state is based on Christian ideas.
Uhh, No.
The idea that sex and marriage is between a man and women and a life long commitment or that all were equal under God and made in His image was the foundation for Human Rights and nation constitutions from which democracy rose.
Uhh, No.
Therse were different even to Greco Roman worldview wherre people were made inferior due to their status of free or slave or that women were inferior and males could have multiple partners including young males. The Christian values radically changed the Greco Roman worldview and was the birth of the many truth principles we live by today or at least use to up until recently.
Christians did plenty of slaving throughout the centuries, which leaves only sexual mores. I rest my case.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oh ok. But I am not pushing just Western Christianity. I was highlighting the Christian Truths we as a western culture took on as a result of our Christian roots. As opposed to say Muslim, Communism or whatever other truth belief.

Christian Truths like 'weare all created in Gods image', the sacredness of sex and marriage, the natural order or man and women and family. The idea of sacrifice for another, the value of human life from conception, that we are sinners ect.

It is these Truths that become eroded when we also reject God and replace this with human made ideas about how we should order humans, nature and the world within our societies.

I would preach about the value of human life being made in Gods image against any ideology that denies this just as much as I would preach that sin leads to death or that repentance and faith leads to life.
So it's all about sex? The Gospel of Christ is all about sex and who's supposed to be in the closet? No wonder people are walking, running, away from what your idea of the Gospel of Christ is about.

• Love
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The constitution is to be the guide of both right and left. Neither side has any regard for it, today. Both have a winner take all mentality.
Agreed 100%. I have made a list of things that people in the US are doing which ignore the Constitution. So, in the least biased manner, but not specifically listing what unconstitutional things have happened, here is my list. Others can fill in the blanks. :)

1. Partisan Politics: In today's polarized political climate, partisan interests often take precedence over constitutional principles. Both parties have been accused of ignoring or selectively enforcing certain provisions to further their own agendas, leading to a perception that the Constitution is being sidelined.

2. Complex and Ever-Changing Legal Landscape: The Constitution's broad language leaves room for interpretation, allowing for the evolution of laws and policies that may not strictly adhere to its original intent. This ambiguity can make it challenging for elected officials to uphold the Constitution in every instance, particularly when addressing complex issues that require balancing competing interests.

3. Executive Overreach: The expansion of executive power, particularly during times of crisis or national security concerns, has led to debates about the extent to which presidents can act outside the bounds of the Constitution. This overreach can result in a blurring of lines between constitutional and non-constitutional actions, creating uncertainty about the government's adherence to the document.

4. Constitutional Amendments: While the Constitution has been amended 27 times to address changing societal needs, some argue that the process is too cumbersome for addressing contemporary issues. This can lead to the adoption of unconstitutional measures or executive actions as a workaround, further eroding trust in the government's commitment to upholding the Constitution.

5. Public Disengagement: A growing disconnect between the public and the political process may contribute to a lack of focus on constitutional issues. With declining civic engagement, it becomes easier for elected officials to disregard the Constitution in favor of more politically expedient solutions, as they face less accountability from an increasingly apathetic electorate.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,380.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed 100%. I have made a list of things that people in the US are doing which ignore the Constitution. So, in the least biased manner, but not specifically listing what unconstitutional things have happened, here is my list. Others can fill in the blanks. :)

1. Partisan Politics: In today's polarized political climate, partisan interests often take precedence over constitutional principles. Both parties have been accused of ignoring or selectively enforcing certain provisions to further their own agendas, leading to a perception that the Constitution is being sidelined.

2. Complex and Ever-Changing Legal Landscape: The Constitution's broad language leaves room for interpretation, allowing for the evolution of laws and policies that may not strictly adhere to its original intent. This ambiguity can make it challenging for elected officials to uphold the Constitution in every instance, particularly when addressing complex issues that require balancing competing interests.

3. Executive Overreach: The expansion of executive power, particularly during times of crisis or national security concerns, has led to debates about the extent to which presidents can act outside the bounds of the Constitution. This overreach can result in a blurring of lines between constitutional and non-constitutional actions, creating uncertainty about the government's adherence to the document.

4. Constitutional Amendments: While the Constitution has been amended 27 times to address changing societal needs, some argue that the process is too cumbersome for addressing contemporary issues. This can lead to the adoption of unconstitutional measures or executive actions as a workaround, further eroding trust in the government's commitment to upholding the Constitution.

5. Public Disengagement: A growing disconnect between the public and the political process may contribute to a lack of focus on constitutional issues. With declining civic engagement, it becomes easier for elected officials to disregard the Constitution in favor of more politically expedient solutions, as they face less accountability from an increasingly apathetic electorate.
And this is what is leading the World to Sodom and Gomorrah?

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It should be cumbersome, in my opinion. Otherwise, the constitution becomes as meaningless as the federal government is today.

Congress is sent to Washington DC to do the heavy lifting of governing. Instead, they hobnob on the cocktail party circuit, make soundbytes for cable news and run for re election.

In the words of ( former Patriots coach) Bill Belichick: DoYour Job! Read all of the bills before you pass them, fight and argue for what your constituents want with the constitution as guardrails.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And this is what is leading the World to Sodom and Gomorrah?
Yeah, the divisiveness in this country is leading to a figurative Sodom & Gomorrah. It may not be literal for 2024, but things are become more polarized nowadays.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It should be cumbersome, in my opinion. Otherwise, the constitution becomes as meaningless as the federal government is today.

Congress is sent to Washington DC to do the heavy lifting of governing. Instead, they hobnob on the cocktail party circuit, make soundbytes for cable news and run for re election.

In the words of ( former Patriots coach) Bill Belichick: DoYour Job! Read all of the bills before you pass them, fight and argue for what your constituents want with the constitution as guardrails.
Yeah, I agree that changing the Constitution should be somewhat hard. But yeah, this country is focused too much on populism and individualism, trying to grab votes from people for re-election. Bill Belichick had some wise words (I do not follow sports though)

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The problem I see with this idea that without some external source that is beyond human ideas about how society should be ordered to be strong and successful will inevitably decend into tribalism as we are seeing today with identity politics.

To restate your premise: Without an external (non-human) source societies cannot be organized strong and successfully. I can safely assume that you mean the Christian god (aka "God") for our society, but what are the options for other societies that are clearly not organized around Christianity. (I won't take any time arguing that my society is only influenced by, but not organized around, Christianity. I don't need to to make my argument here.)

Here are the alternatives I can see to describe non-Christian societies under this view:

1. The external source for other socieities are other gods.

2. The external source for other socieities is the same god as the Christian god, but in other guises.

3. The external sources for other societies are "demons" or "fallen angels" impersonating other gods.

The first choice is a henotheistic (our god is superior to the other gods) view, the second choice makes the Christian god into some sort of impersonator of other gods, and the third choice is the "demonic" version. I suspect most Christians would reject 1 & 2 anyway as they are not "standard theology". There is another possibility that works for Christians, but not with the premise you claimed, and that is that:

4. non-Christian socieities *aren't* based on the external source of any god.

This fourth option should work perfectly fine for many Christians and certainly would have for my former Christian self. (And of course my current self).

Non-Christian theists likely have similar lists if they think their society is well organized and successful because it follows the precepts of their god about our societies.

Before finishing I will anticipate two possible challenges you might make:

Successful:

Are these non-Christian societies (or any society not built on Christian principles) successful? It would be hard to argue that they weren't. Chinese civilization for 2000+ years with only a couple time falling to external invaders, same with India. What of the Roman Empire, the Persian Empire, the Assyrian Empire, and other grand states of the ancient Near East. Then there are the successful societies of pre-Columbian America, SE Asia, and Southern Africa. Were *all* these not successful?

Tribalism:

You find that our lack of Christian virtue in society is leading to a "descent into tribalism". But what is tribalism? Actual political entities called tribes are fairly small, smaller than nation-states. So what we are talking about here is factionalism. But how is this different than any earlier time in the history large states? (the era in which all of Christianity falls) There were lords and landowners, serfs and servants; Farmers, merchants, artisans, soldiers; Workers, bosses, managers, and owners; Slaves, slave masters, slave traders, and enslavers; often many such factions with different needs, demands, and powers within even ethnically and fully Christians societies.

Further, if you want to put forward conflict between states, Christendom has only been unified in that brief period after the declaration of state religion status in the Roman Empire, when most Christians were inside the Roman Empire, but that near unity ended with the dissolution of the Empire (or at least the fall of the Western part) and the spread of Christianity outside the old empire (Ireland, Germany, the Baltic and Slavic peoples..)

I don't think your claim meets the logic test unless you insist on very narrow definitions of success or insist that other seemingly successful nations are "demon possessed". Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First a comment to underpin what follows. Forgive me if I categorise you, but I have placed you in a group which I'll call "People whom I disagree with on many (most) things, but whose posts I find interesting and organised, and whom I respect."
Thankyou, likewise I enjoy any debate where people ask questions and engage depite having differences.
However, we differ in that I think we do not need an external "guide" to enable us all to lead productive, valued lives (however those are defined).
As humans are fallible and are not all knowing and are supceptible to decieving themselves so we need some sort of external source that is uncorruptable as a source to unite us.

This is not about the Christian God but is a fundemental truth about human nature and life that an external source that is greater than humans is needed to unite and guide us as we are weak to decieving ourselves. That could be anything so long as its greater than humans. Otherwise we end up with human made sources that which inevitably are corrurtable.
If there were a God, like the New Testament Christian God that would be no bad thing, I just don't think such a benevolent entity exists, so we are thrown back on our own resources. I don't really know if they areadequate to the task, but if we don't try, we certainly won't succeed.
In some ways just the idea of a God beyond us as the guiding light even if not true is a uniting and stablizing factor. There is evidence that religious belief is beneficial for health and wellbeing. It offers hope and meanng beyond this world.
Now you proposal is that we - all of us, the population of the whole world - adopt the beliefs of a sub-set of humanity, in order to provide an external reference. That is a classic example of tribalism. Perhaps you are not suggesting imposing this on the world, but you are urging the rest of workd to accept your set of beliefs, saying "My tribes ideas are better than your tribes ideas". I don't hink that is going to work.
I am not necessarily saying everyone should follow God but that we need a source beyond ourselves that unites us. Its not tribal because its unifying tribes under the one source.

We use to be united under God and had similar morals and worldviews but since that has been removed we have decended into identity groups at war with each other which is more tribal. That is the result of replacing God with human made ideas about how to order society.
Another area where I differ from you is in regard to the claim - things are getting worse. You have supported this with nothing more than opinions and anecdotes. Those are valueless. I have no idea whether things are getting worse, or getting better, or staying about the same. I do know that millenia people have been saying things are getting worse despite the fact that some things are clearly getting better and - depending upon how you define better - a lot of things are getting better.
It depends on what you mean by worse. I don't necessarily mean crime or bad behaviour but more a mental and spiritual decline. The state of our thinking.

Sure we have improved life for many and life is more comfortable but at the same time there is a growing disharmony and mental illness where people lack meaning in life and are being subject to the stresses and demands of modern life. Some say mosern life itself is making people sick.

If you look at the difference in attitudes about respect, honesty, sacrifice, duty, humility, the qualities we regard as being a good moral person we find this lacking today. People are more selfish and the depth of depraved thinking has decended into a new low which we did not know in past generations.

It may look good on the outside but there is evil on the inside in dark corners and the underworld. Idol worship, child exploitation, mind altering states, hedonism are the new morality. The sins of our fathers have accumulated. We now have decades of destruction of nature playing god and its starting to crack at the seams.
To a degree I don't actually care. I do know that things could be better and should be better and making it so should be our goal.

I address this one specific statement. Not all the core truths that you claim are lost this way would be considered core truths by others.
Yes thats because if God is creator than he is the creaor of ourselves and nature. So within that belief comes Truth principles such as order in nature, how humans are ordered, how they interact and value human life. Justice, fairness, empathy, compassion, equality under a unified God.

These can be found as natural truths coming our of humans and their relationships to others. They are tried and tested truths so we have tried to live without them and found chaos but when held up as our foundation they work in helping people live together in relative peace and harmony.
Human made ideas for humans seems like a remarkably sensible approach, with the caveat that it should provide ideas for all people; not the ideas of subset whose internal divisions are so great that some groups will not recognise another and whom in total are a minority on the planet.
But thats exactly what happens when we put these matters in the hands of humans. Even if it seems nobel and good at the time we cannot know or may deny the true motives because we are supceptible to selfish desires of power and playing god.

We see this how we decieved ourselves that destroying the planet or others was good in the short term but has ended up putting everyone at risk. Or the continuing fallout of ideas we had in the past come back to make things worse. Despite our beliefs that things are getting better they are in superficial ways but not where it counts spiritually.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,143.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
As humans are fallible and are not all knowing and are supceptible to decieving themselves so we need some sort of external source that is uncorruptable as a source to unite us.
There are many humans who can rise above those weaknesses, at least within a specific field, and bring unity to a group. We see examples of this across the board, from the amateur gardener who inspires a local community to turn their gardens into bright colouful places, raising the spirits and well-being of the community; the company executive who so organises his business that all stakeholders - workers, customers and shareholders -benefit; the politician who unites a truly disparate people - I'll use Nelson Mandela as an example.
This is not about the Christian God but is a fundemental truth about human nature and life that an external source that is greater than humans is needed to unite and guide us as we are weak to decieving ourselves. That could be anything so long as its greater than humans. Otherwise we end up with human made sources that which inevitably are corrurtable.
You are making an assertion without offering any evidence to that effect.
In some ways just the idea of a God beyond us as the guiding light even if not true is a uniting and stablizing factor. There is evidence that religious belief is beneficial for health and wellbeing. It offers hope and meanng beyond this world.
So, if not true, your argument is that it is better for people to lie to themselves and others about death and their place in the world!
I am not necessarily saying everyone should follow God but that we need a source beyond ourselves that unites us. Its not tribal because its unifying tribes under the one source.
You have not demonstrated that we need a source beyond ourselves. You have not considered that the source beyond ourselves is our united will, inspired by exceptional people. You have not addressed (except to deny it is true) the fact that Christianity is rife schisms and bitter disagreements, nor offered any suggestion as to how you get the rest of the world to jump on this disorganised bandwagon.
I don't necessarily mean crime or bad behaviour but more a mental and spiritual decline. The state of our thinking.
Wherein you identify certain core truths that are the antithesis of the beliefs of a significant portion of humanity whom you thereby, deliberately or accidentally, marginalise.
If you look at the difference in attitudes about respect, honesty, sacrifice, duty, humility, the qualities we regard as being a good moral person we find this lacking today. People are more selfish and the depth of depraved thinking has decended into a new low which we did not know in past generations.
Again, an assertion without evidence. Take an example of Victorian England; there may have been a well attended church on every street corner, but there were two pubs and brothel down that side alley; the factory workers were de facto slaves, the majority of the factory owners indifferent to their plight. One could write a book about the inequalities and evil of this time - and people have.
there is evil on the inside in dark corners and the underworld. Idol worship, child exploitation, mind altering states, hedonism are the new morality.
See my prior remark.
Yes thats because if God is creator than he is the creaor of ourselves and nature. So within that belief comes Truth principles such as order in nature, how humans are ordered, how they interact and value human life. Justice, fairness, empathy, compassion, equality under a unified God.
And some of these things you call truths are not considered so by large portions of humanity. Many of them are, but not all and that is disrupter, not a unifier.
But thats exactly what happens when we put these matters in the hands of humans. Even if it seems nobel and good at the time we cannot know or may deny the true motives because we are supceptible to selfish desires of power and playing god.
I can only repeat, humanity en masse, inspired by a leader can unite to achieve great things without an appeal to an external God, but an appeal to the internal desire of individual humans for "justice, fairness, empathy, compassion, equality" under that shared vision of a better future.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To restate your premise: Without an external (non-human) source societies cannot be organized strong and successfully. I can safely assume that you mean the Christian god (aka "God") for our society, but what are the options for other societies that are clearly not organized around Christianity. (I won't take any time arguing that my society is only influenced by, but not organized around, Christianity. I don't need to to make my argument here.)
Its not so much about the Christian God in principle but the idea that humans need some external source greater than themselves to look to that represents the ideal good character and standards will unite everyone. Otherwise it becomes idols and other forms of worship or worldly gods like money or might.
Here are the alternatives I can see to describe non-Christian societies under this view:

1. The external source for other socieities are other gods. 2. The external source for other socieities is the same god as the Christian god, but in other guises.
3. The external sources for other societies are "demons" or "fallen angels" impersonating other gods.
The first choice is a henotheistic (our god is superior to the other gods) view,
I am not sure its like that. I think most religions are pretty easy going about their god. There is a large makority of polytheistic beliefs and have many gods or are more mystical and believe in Deism. I think its mainly Islam that actually preaches that Allah is the only true God to the point of enforcing it today.

I know Christianity had their period of enforcement. But today I think most people believe that its about free will and democracy. In fact the bible doesn't really push the idea that God is the only God and superior. God makes a lot of statements about His authority and who He is like "I am who I am". Or "thou shall not worship other gods". But it also acknowledges there are other gods who people think are greater.
the second choice makes the Christian god into some sort of impersonator of other gods,
Or the other way around. Or the fact there are a variety of gods shows humans inclination to believe in something beyond the material world.

If there is some entity for the source of this inclination then it logically follows that there can only be one god and truth to all that because ultimately its about truth and there can only be one truth and not many truths.
and the third choice is the "demonic" version. I suspect most Christians would reject 1 & 2 anyway as they are not "standard theology".
Yep demonic worship is the flip side of godly worship and belief. Thats the ying and yang in our nature to have a good and eveil side.
There is another possibility that works for Christians, but not with the premise you claimed, and that is that:

4. non-Christian socieities *aren't* based on the external source of any god.
I don't know about that. It depends what you mean by god. They say money can become your god. Back in the day many gods were idols that represented earthly pleasures or in nature such as certain animals that had certain powers. So gods can be very earthly but be tied to a metaphyical belief that fills the void of gods.
This fourth option should work perfectly fine for many Christians and certainly would have for my former Christian self. (And of course my current self).
Yes because the bible also says that we all know Gods laws. They are part of nature if God is the creature of human nature. Morality is really an innate sense of empathy with others. So you don't need God to know this.
Non-Christian theists likely have similar lists if they think their society is well organized and successful because it follows the precepts of their god about our societies.
Yes as mentioned above there is a similar theme through all religions or new age beliefs about treating others good and being moral in a practical sense.

What I find interesting is despite the differences which can be vast the core truths remain the same which are in line with the bible. It suggests that the core truths themselves are like laws of nature and stand above all cultural differences. Like its innate in humans to have morality and belief in some entity beyond the material world.
Before finishing I will anticipate two possible challenges you might make:

Successful:

Are these non-Christian societies (or any society not built on Christian principles) successful? It would be hard to argue that they weren't. Chinese civilization for 2000+ years with only a couple time falling to external invaders, same with India. What of the Roman Empire, the Persian Empire, the Assyrian Empire, and other grand states of the ancient Near East. Then there are the successful societies of pre-Columbian America, SE Asia, and Southern Africa. Were *all* these not successful?
It depends what you mean by successful. Sure they were very successful in some ways. Just because cultures may stray away from Gods order doesn't mean they will not be successful in a material or practical way.
Tribalism:

You find that our lack of Christian virtue in society is leading to a "descent into tribalism". But what is tribalism? Actual political entities called tribes are fairly small, smaller than nation-states. So what we are talking about here is factionalism. But how is this different than any earlier time in the history large states? (the era in which all of Christianity falls) There were lords and landowners, serfs and servants; Farmers, merchants, artisans, soldiers; Workers, bosses, managers, and owners; Slaves, slave masters, slave traders, and enslavers; often many such factions with different needs, demands, and powers within even ethnically and fully Christians societies.
I don't mean politically though politics is a part of it because it becomes an outward expression. But its more about social norms which are really the ground movement for political ideology and activism.

So its more fundemnetal like the philosophy behind political parties. Its more grass roots because its personal. This was the idea back in the 80s I think with Feminism where the political became the personal. This has led to identity being the measure of everything, politics, morality, social norms, values, truth across all sectors. This has led to identity politics as an expression of this fundemental ideology.

As society has been broken down further and further over time into identity groups rather than having that unifying belief which disregards identity this has causes differences to be extentuated and conflicting. Now if you white your less moral, being a white male is at the bttom of the identity worth. Being black, lesbian and a women refugee puts you at the top. Thats the new measure.

As a result this moralising people based on their identity, the colour of their skin, their gender, race, class, intelligence whatever we are becoming more tribal. Us and them the very opposite of what this new Woke religion sweeping the west claimed to be achieving with their new DEI Utopia.

This is the new human made religion that has filled the void left by rejecting God. It may not have all the garb of churches but its just as destructive perhaps even more so.
Further, if you want to put forward conflict between states, Christendom has only been unified in that brief period after the declaration of state religion status in the Roman Empire, when most Christians were inside the Roman Empire, but that near unity ended with the dissolution of the Empire (or at least the fall of the Western part) and the spread of Christianity outside the old empire (Ireland, Germany, the Baltic and Slavic peoples..)
I think not too long after Christ as soon as the church was established it began to be infiltrated with worldly ideas and corruption. Thats the nature of humans.

But the church and Christianity is not the world measure of success or failure but of Christ and for the most part this has happened in the background, the quiet achievers such as people and charities mopping up societies problems. People sacrificing their lives for others in missionary work or particular roles within their community.
I don't think your claim meets the logic test unless you insist on very narrow definitions of success or insist that other seemingly successful nations are "demon possessed". Good luck with that.
Thats because I am not judging success on the worldly definition of success which may appear successful even for millenia.

I mean look at the Egyptians a very successful Empire to the point the Pharaoh's thought they were gods. But it may be that those successes have all led to the destruction of our own planet and then equate to an unsuccess.

Sometimes it takes an aweful long time to realize that what we were actually doing was leading to our own downfall. For some maybe they never realize. Their belief that humans had all the answers blinded them from seeing the bigger picture beyond their immediate world.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So it's all about sex? The Gospel of Christ is all about sex and who's supposed to be in the closet? No wonder people are walking, running, away from what your idea of the Gospel of Christ is about.
I think you just made it about sex not me. Sex was only one aspect I mentioned among many. People will walk away from the church when people make misrepresentations of it. But in the end the Truth will shine through.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are many humans who can rise above those weaknesses, at least within a specific field, and bring unity to a group. We see examples of this across the board, from the amateur gardener who inspires a local community to turn their gardens into bright colouful places, raising the spirits and well-being of the community; the company executive who so organises his business that all stakeholders - workers, customers and shareholders -benefit; the politician who unites a truly disparate people - I'll use Nelson Mandela as an example.
Yes there are many examples. Thats human nature, we are born with empathy but also with a selfish and evil side. People can be good without God. I would say many of those people like Mandela had some faith in something beyond themselves. I look at Dr King as the best example.

To some extent being socially aware and in touch is the new Woke, its part of customer relations today. But I think there are those who work in the background often going out of their way to sacrifice themselves for others and are never recognised that are the true servants of God.
You are making an assertion without offering any evidence to that effect.
I think the evidence comes from our experience of how we have so often got it wrong, lacked knowledge and thought it was right or good and it ended up not the case. This has repeated over and over again throughout history. What we are doing now will be looked back on as also misguided in many respects. Sure we get a lot right but fundementally as far as ethics and values we often get deluded by our short term desires and inclination to be selfish and put own interests like power and money over people.

Especially in recent times. One sign is while being some of the wealthest nations on earth many people in western nations are unhappy and anxious to the point of mass mental illness as well as substance abuse. There is poverty and chaos in the back streets while the small elite present a successful fake image that everything is hunky dory.
So, if not true, your argument is that it is better for people to lie to themselves and others about death and their place in the world!
No I was pointing out the power of faith in human healing and wellbeing as a basic principle that can help humans overcome the seemingly impossible according to the worldview that we are subject to only what we see. Which for many is just a horrible existence.

It seems no answer is available within the worldview as that is exactly what is causing the horrible existence or at least the perception of this. That all meaning is within what they are experiencing and theres nothing else they can appeal to.
You have not demonstrated that we need a source beyond ourselves. You have not considered that the source beyond ourselves is our united will, inspired by exceptional people.
Like I said this is a fundemental principle that as humans are fallible and not all knowing that they will get things wrong. They are not gods who can see the consequences of all actions. Inevitably we get it wrong in important ways that has an accumulative effect ie claimate change, world hunger and conflict, tribalism, antisemetism rising again, winding back womens rights with Woke, big corp, profits before people, exploiting 3rd world nations again and again in new ways. All hidden under the guise of nobel causes or its for the good of all.

Pride always comews before a fall. We think everything is rosey but many people don't feel that way and that is usually a sign of something deeply wrong with society, the world. We seem to be always on the brink of war, global war, a planet becoming unstable, collapsing economies or people priced our of living. Like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.
You have not addressed (except to deny it is true) the fact that Christianity is rife schisms and bitter disagreements, nor offered any suggestion as to how you get the rest of the world to jump on this disorganised bandwagon.
I am not making anyone jump on any bandwagon. I am merely expressing my beliefs about the state of things and how Gods order is being undermined. Thats my belief and you don't have to take that belief on.

There is going to be rifts in the church. Satans greatest trick is to decieve the church itself. But Christianity is not a church or specific denomination but rather a transformation of self one at a time in the spirit of God through Christ no matter what creed or identity group. They are scattered throughout the world usually in the background doing Gods work. In fact the more conformed to this world the less a Christian.
Wherein you identify certain core truths that are the antithesis of the beliefs of a significant portion of humanity whom you thereby, deliberately or accidentally, marginalise.
No these core truths are the foundations of nations and Human Rights. So it doesn't matter who you are and in fact denying them is what marginalises people. For example the core truth that we are judged by the content of our character and not the colour of our skin or our gender or sex or political ideology.

Or forgiveness of others and turning the other cheek. Or in marriage the santity of the relationship and the sacrifice of self for the other. Or the value of human life from conception. All these are not only Christian truths but life principles we have lived out and found they work. When we abandon them society falls apart.

The new Woke ideology that has replaced Christianity and its core truths has undermined these principles with a new religious belief of identity which divides and devalues people and life.
Again, an assertion without evidence. Take an example of Victorian England; there may have been a well attended church on every street corner, but there were two pubs and brothel down that side alley; the factory workers were de facto slaves, the majority of the factory owners indifferent to their plight. One could write a book about the inequalities and evil of this time - and people have.
Are you kidding. What world are you living in. Have not you seen the tension in society between identity groups. Even the LGBTI+ community id divided and fighting among themselves let alone the demeaning of people such as white folk and males based on the skin colour and gender.

Or the fights about 'what is a women. where feminist who long fought for their rights are being wound back to the 50's. Theres a culture war and as a society we have been divided and are even attacking our own national identities undermining who we are. I mean any society where anti semetism is becoming popular again is not a healthy one.

Yes we rise and fall and learn to get along better. But at this time in modern society we are at or heading into a time of conflict, of radicalism growing and its boiling under the surface. It may look good on the outside but underneath its chaos and growing. You could say modern society is developing a mental illness in some ways.
And some of these things you call truths are not considered so by large portions of humanity. Many of them are, but not all and that is disrupter, not a unifier.
And that is why those who hold these truths try to spread them so that more people can be free and equal. Like with the Isreali and Hamas war. The aim would be to bring Gaza into democracy, freedom and equality so that there could be peace throughout the area.

Its worked so many times such as with Hong Kong except China keeps interfering. We know that nations who don't hold these core truths are denting people their rights.
I can only repeat, humanity en masse, inspired by a leader can unite to achieve great things without an appeal to an external God, but an appeal to the internal desire of individual humans for "justice, fairness, empathy, compassion, equality" under that shared vision of a better future.
Hasn't really worked so far. May have for periods but they inevitably collapse as people stray into corruption as its a human tendency when left unchecked.

The problem with appealing to subjective morals and values is that people will see things differently. When theres no anchor grounded and its open to opinion its often might makes right. Whoever can yell the loudest. The squeaky wheel always gets the attention.

Or money corrupts such as big corps influence on politics. Thats how humans work we always decend into chaos without some external so9urce to anchor us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So slavery, segregation, genocide of indigenous people, are all part of God's order for society?
Where did I say that. Your creating a strawman.
I hate to break it to you, but abortion was pretty common pre-20th century.
Actually apart from around the 19th century maybe late 18th is when things started to change with abortion laws. Up until then society regarded it as wrong and only in some situations like risk to mother or secret abortions. So like other changes it began around that time with Enlightenment and questioning the authority of the church.

But in the late 20th century and especially post 2000 it became more acceptable in mainstream society even seen as an individual right. Not because of any life risk but because of the idea that individual rights trump all other concerns. Abortion then became more commonplace and often more to do with lifestyle. So theres been a complete revaluing of abostion and thus human life which has many follow on ethical issues which have also been comprimised.
Could you expand on the idea of the breakdown in families? Would you consider, for example, an arranged marriage something normal and attractive? How about one or both parties in the arranged marriage having extra-marital affairs? Because that was pretty common.
Just a general breakdown in families. There was a big change due to Feminism and easy divorce laws. Marriage was devalued and many sort divorce. As marriage was devalued nor was the commitment.

We have generations of kids who grew up in broken and dysfunctional families. This has a knockon effect for society. A strong society is underpinned by strong families.
Now, of course, cheating wasn't considered socially acceptable then--just as it isn't considered socially acceptable now. But this is why it is helpful if you explain what you're talking about.
I disagree. Marriage is less valuable, seen more as a contract with get out clauses. People are not too concerned about affairs and may even celebrate it so long as the person is individually fullfilled.

That is the new measure of happiness and morality self fullfillment and happyness. Anything goes so long as it brings personal fullfillment and happiness.
As far as a break down in society, that's a big statement--one that I don't disagree with. But I don't know what you are referring to when you say this.
Breakdown means breakdown, families ties, relationships, mental health, the knockon effects of families breaking down. Its there in the data. I think we are seeing the knock on effect of the breakdown with maybe the last couple of generations who are very fragile or mentally ill. Or Narcissistic.
I don't know how old you are, I'm in my early 40's. But what you're talking about here doesn't comport with my own lived observations and experiences of the past several decades.
I think social media has made a massive change to things. Its revolutionised how people interact and has created this distance between people where they can berate and attack each other.

Go on any media which allows individuals a platform and you will see what I mean. Its in the news, in politics the culture wars and identity politics. The cancel culture. We are finding news ways to divide ourselves and hate each other.

I remeber when though political parties were of different philosophical bent they often met in the middle on important issues when it came to the greater good. But now its polarised, people dispise opposition/ I remeber women crying when Trump got in like it was the end of the world.

People hated Trump so much I would not be surprised that there is an attempt to take him out. Where seeing local radicalism growing within democratic nations. That is how radical things have become right down to the person on the street. Like I said any society that allows anti semetisim to rise its ugly head again is not in good health.
So you're upset that non-straight people are treated the same under the law as straight people, am I correct in that assessment?
No I agree everyone should be treated the same. Its more about the fundemental premise that everyoner else should have to conform to a certain unfounded assumption about human nature, reality and the truth.

That we not only respect peoples choices which is right and fair so long as they don't effect others. But its another to be forced to believe the same ideology behind it. That for example identity is somehow a reality based on subjective feelings. In other word Woke indoctrination of society when there is no basis in reality. Its just another way religion is being foisted on society in the name of protecting rights.

But luckily people are coming to their senses as we see the unreality of these ideas and policies play out in society. Reality has a way of coming back to bite us.
It appears to me that you lack basic knowledge on a good many things, and so you have created an imaginary world that never existed in your own mind. And so you appear to be blowing gas out of something.
Actually the opposite. I have good knowledge on a lot of these things as I have been studying this area for years. I have vast libraries on these topics.

To sum up how I believe society has changed more towards S&G is I read somewhere that if there was ever a society ready to accept Satan it would be todays Postmodernist one where there is no truth and everything is relative. Where people don't believe in sin any more. In fact Satan may even be celebrated as a celeb.

Wienstein, Epstein, Sounds of Freedom, the Dark Web and the other stories we hear that never get fully investigated. They are the little red flags as to what is really going on within the elites of power who govern us and pull the strings. This is the new low we have sunken to that would put any of the past to shame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Actually apart from around the 19th century maybe late 18th is when things started to change with abortion laws. Up until then society regarded it as wrong and only in some situations like risk to mother or secret abortions. So like other changes it began around that time with Enlightenment and questioning the authority of the church.

But in the late 20th century and especially post 2000 it became more acceptable in mainstream society even seen as an individual right. Not because of any life risk but because of the idea that individual rights trump all other concerns. Abortion then became more commonplace and often more to do with lifestyle. So theres been a complete revaluing of abostion and thus human life which has many follow on ethical issues which have also been comprimised.

Just a general breakdown in families. There was a big change due to Feminism and easy divorce laws. Marriage was devalued and many sort divorce. As marriage was devalued nor was the commitment.

We have generations of kids who grew up in broken and dysfunctional families. This has a knockon effect for society. A strong society is underpinned by strong families.

I disagree. Marriage is less valuable, seen more as a contract with get out clauses. People are not too concerned about affairs and may even celebrate it so long as the person is individually fullfilled.

That is the new measure of happiness and morality self fullfillment and happyness. Anything goes so long as it brings personal fullfillment and happiness.

Breakdown means breakdown, families ties, relationships, mental health, the knockon effects of families breaking down. Its there in the data. I think we are seeing the knock on effect of the breakdown with maybe the last couple of generations who are very fragile or mentally ill. Or Narcissistic.

I think social media has made a massive change to things. Its revolutionised how people interact and has created this distance between people where they can berate and attack each other.

Go on any media which allows individuals a platform and you will see what I mean. Its in the news, in politics the culture wars and identity politics. The cancel culture. We are finding news ways to divide ourselves and hate each other.

I remeber when though political parties were of different philosophical bent they often met in the middle on important issues when it came to the greater good. But now its polarised, people dispise opposition/ I remeber women crying when Trump got in like it was the end of the world.

People hated Trump so much I would not be surprised that there is an attempt to take him out. Where seeing local radicalism growing within democratic nations. That is how radical things have become right down to the person on the street. Like I said any society that allows anti semetisim to rise its ugly head again is not in good health.

No I agree everyone should be treated the same. Its more about the fundemental premise that everyoner else should have to conform to a certain unfounded assumption about human nature, reality and the truth.

That we not only respect peoples choices which is right and fair so long as they don't effect others. But its another to be forced to believe the same ideology behind it. That for example identity is somehow a reality based on subjective feelings. In other word Woke indoctrination of society when there is no basis in reality. Its just another way religion is being foisted on society in the name of protecting rights.

But luckily people are coming to their senses as we see the unreality of these ideas and policies play out in society. Reality has a way of coming back to bite us.

Actually the opposite. I have good knowledge on a lot of these things as I have been studying this area for years. I have vast libraries on these topics.

To sum up how I believe society has changed more towards S&G is I read somewhere that if there was ever a society ready to accept Satan it would be todays Postmodernist one where there is no truth and everything is relative. Where people don't believe in sin any more. In fact Satan may even be celebrated as a celeb.

Wienstein, Epstein, Sounds of Freedom, the Dark Web and the other stories we hear that never get fully investigated. They are the little red flags as to what is really going on within the elites of power who govern us and pull the strings. This is the new low we have sunken to that would put any of the past to shame.
So you say it's not about sex and then come back with a rant that's all about sex?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Your position was that we "used to" follow God's order in society, "Thats because we respected Gods order for marriage and human life. We sacrificed self desires for a greater truth. But we now believe in individual desires over all else."

You said we used to do this, the problem is that when we look at the past, just the last couple hundred years, the things I mentioned were part of the fabric of American society and culture.

I don't see how one can say "we respected God's order for ... human life" when talking about when we had things like slavery, or Jim Crow, or were engaged in genocide.

I know you weren't referring to those things. The problem is that when you engage in dreaming about "the good old days" you are ignoring just how bad those "good old days" actually were.

The point is this: We weren't following "God's order" then anymore than we are now. That's a fabrication, a false story of how things used to be.

You should study more. Historically abortion was only considered wrong when it terminated a late-stage pregnancy. People talked about a distinction between a fetus animatus, and a fetus inanimatus--or the distinction between a fetus with a soul and a fetus without. A fetus was considered to be alive, with a soul, at what was called "quickening", or when the mother could feel the baby move and kick inside her.

Attitudes on abortion were actually rather nuanced in pre-modern times. As noted, a distinction was made between a fetus animatus, or ensouled fetus and an inanimate or non-ensouled fetus.

The simple fact of the matter is that over the long history of the Christian Church, most Christian thinkers followed the thought of people like Aristotle, wherein ensoulment happened several months into the pregnancy.

It's actually in the 19th century when attitudes tended to become harsher, for example in the 16th century Pope Gregory XIV in the 1591 Sedes Apostolica made a distinction between the fetus animatus and fetus inanimatus; the harsh penalties of the church canons only applied to the termination of a fetus animatus. This was changed in the 19th century by Pope Pious IX, in whch no distinction was made and all terminations of pregnancy carried the same ecclesiastical discipline.

Would you be interested in some statistical information?

From the Pew Research Center, a graph:

SR_24.03.26_abortion_1.png

Question: Is the ability for women, granted more freedom and security in society, such that they have greater freedom to get away from abusive husbands something we should have a problem with?

Blaming feminism seems silly to me. As though this is all those pesky women's fault.

Surely you don't believe there were fewer abusive husbands before the 1960's/70's do you?

I know you want to blame feminism for "broken and dysfunctional families", but perhaps we could explore other issues. As I don't think you have much of a leg on if you are going to blame "feminism" for this. That seems like a silly scape goat that ignores real issues. Of course, if you think you can back your claim up, you are more than welcome to do so.

You disagree with cheating being not socially acceptable? How about this, do a poll and ask the question to a general audience here if cheating on one's spouse or partner is okay to do. It's unlikely you're going to get a lot of responses saying that cheating is just A-OK.

Perhaps you live somewhere different than me where cheating is celebrated. Where I'm from, however, in the godless and heathenous Pacific Northwest, famously known as the Unchurched Belt of the United States--being an unfaithful partner is considered a bad thing. Not just by Christians, but by everybody. I have my suspicion, however, that it's probably the same where you live too. And that you are just making up the sentiment about unfaithfulness--I don't see that, I don't observe that, and I doubt you have either.

And the fact that you blame feminists, gay people, and liberals for this seems silly to me. Because if you want to look at the real sources for the breakdown can be placed more into the fact that we are living in a world of late-stage capitalism where our culture has been taught to abide by an ideology of consumerism; where wealth disparity and power disparity creates discord. There is a lack of community, a lack of the village, not because of women, gays, liberals--but because Consumerism breeds a Me-First mentality.

Do you believe Donald Trump is a virtuous person?

Because when I look at Donald Trump I see the living embodiment of everything that is deeply wrong in American culture and society.

Right, anti-semitism is a sign of an unhealthy society. But so is any other form of deep racist and bigoted attidues--for example, hatred of immigrants, foreigners, or Muslims. Or, say, hatred of gay people.

Well either everyone has the right to living in a consentual legal partnership, or no.

You don't have to acknowledge a same-sex marriage as a spiritually, theologically, or religiously valid marriage. But the fundamental question is, do these people deserve the same treatment under the law as others? Is marriage, in a legal sense, a right?

Should there be laws that tell people who they may or may not live in a partnership with, and which is legally recognized?

And, I think that as long as you remain in this way of thinking, you're not going to be able to be able to actually look at what the actual fundamental problems are that we are dealing with.

You can't complain about Wienstein AND blame feminism.

We didn't curb mob lynchings of black people by blaming Civil Rights leaders, but by listening to them and affecting changes to the very structures of our society.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I mean look at the Egyptians a very successful Empire to the point the Pharaoh's thought they were gods.
The deification of the Pharaohs lasted for a long time before the Egyptian empire fell for good (either with the conquest of Alexander or of Rome, dealer's choice). It was definitely not the trigger of their down fall.
But it may be that those successes have all led to the destruction of our own planet and then equate to an unsuccess.
Not sure what the age of the Pharaohs have to do with any current event (and the planet will be fine, though we may not be).
Sometimes it takes an aweful long time to realize that what we were actually doing was leading to our own downfall. For some maybe they never realize. Their belief that humans had all the answers blinded them from seeing the bigger picture beyond their immediate world.
So long it would seem in your view that entire regimes rose and fell in between. (The whole of Christianity, which you seem to dismiss after insisting that it was your god that mattered.) I don't think you can connect the collapse of the Pharaonic regime to anything happening today.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't mean politically though politics is a part of it because it becomes an outward expression. But its more about social norms which are really the ground movement for political ideology and activism.
I didn't mention politics. I mentioned factions of society and how they have existed forever.
So its more fundemnetal like the philosophy behind political parties. Its more grass roots because its personal. This was the idea back in the 80s I think with Feminism where the political became the personal. This has led to identity being the measure of everything, politics, morality, social norms, values, truth across all sectors. This has led to identity politics as an expression of this fundemental ideology.
What fundamental ideology? The existence of "factions"?
As society has been broken down further and further over time into identity groups rather than having that unifying belief which disregards identity this has causes differences to be extentuated and conflicting. Now if you white your less moral, being a white male is at the bttom of the identity worth. Being black, lesbian and a women refugee puts you at the top. Thats the new measure.
What do you want, sameness? We're not all the same. And we don't all have the same beliefs. You just seem to have trouble dealing with that.
As a result this moralising people based on their identity, the colour of their skin, their gender, race, class, intelligence whatever we are becoming more tribal. Us and them the very opposite of what this new Woke religion sweeping the west claimed to be achieving with their new DEI Utopia.
"moralising people based on their identity" what does that even mean? Your whole post is hard to follow. Did you really even address my thoughts?
This is the new human made religion that has filled the void left by rejecting God. It may not have all the garb of churches but its just as destructive perhaps even more so.
I don't so much reject god as find it not evidenced, but I'm glad you recognize how destructive churches can be.

Upvote 0