Is it sinful to have a Homosexual Orientation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark45

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Birmingham
✟70,774.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation? Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ? Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ? Is it sinful to find men attractive?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation?
Yes (remember humans are born sinful, anyway)

Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ?
Yes.
Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ?
No. Only Yahuweh is able to change a person.
Is it sinful to find men attractive?
Probably. It is sinful to look with desire/lust upon a woman also. God is not prejudiced against just one sin/ type of sin/ sinner.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation? Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ? Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ? Is it sinful to find men attractive?

It's about lust ... which is a sin.

very strong sexual desire (regardless of the "orientation")

According to the Word of God ... it is a choice ... and considered a sin ... and the Lord helps us overcome sin.

Outside of the Word of God .... there are varying opinions.

Upvote 0

Mark45

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Birmingham
✟70,774.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes (remember humans are born sinful, anyway)

Yes.

No. Only Yahuweh is able to change a person.

Probably. It is sinful to look with desire/lust upon a woman also. God is not prejudiced against just one sin/ type of sin/ sinner.

I think you have extreme views that are very disturbing. I can’t imagine how dreadful it would be if you had a son who was gay and you could only be radical and like a black & white text book towards him !

Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟129,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think you have extreme views that are very disturbing. I can’t imagine how dreadful it would be if you had a son who was gay and you could only be radical and like a black & white text book towards him !
Believing what God's word says,and living accordingly is extreme,but the alternative is much more so.
That's why it's a narrow gate.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
“There is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of 'reparative conversion therapy' as a treatment to change one's sexual orientation” the American Psychiatric Association has officially stated. "Clinical experience suggests that any person who seeks conversion therapy may be doing so because of social bias that has resulted in internalized homophobia, and that gay men and lesbians who have accepted their sexual orientation are better adjusted than those who have not done so."

Perhaps the most famous case study in the failure of reparative therapy is that of two founders of Exodus International in 1976, Michael Bussee and Gary Cooper, who worked to "convert" gay people for three years, until they fell in love and left Exodus in 1979. In 1982, they held a marriage ceremony and lived together until Cooper died nine years later. "The desires never go away," Bussee said. "After dealing with hundreds of people, I have not met one who went from gay to straight. Even if you manage to alter someone's sexual behavior, you cannot change their true sexual orientation."

Consider the reverse situation. As a heterosexual person I cannot imagine having to undergo some sort of therapy to convert me to homosexual. Moreover I cannot imagine it working. Homosexuality is certainly not a choice. Moreover, given the hatred, the condemnation and the persecution so prevalent in society, I cannot imagine anyone making that choice.

So, the short answer to the question in the OP is "No". Being homosexual or bisexual or transgender is not a choice or a sin. Acting upon your natural sexual inclination is a whole other question.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Homosexuality came about because mankind rejected God. Romans 1 traces the sorry decline of humanity. Homosexual inclinations are part of the fallen nature. You'll see in Romans 1:18-32 that God simply let people be whatever they wanted to be.

There are a lot of sins. Homosexuality is one of them. Some people are tempted to steal. Most people lie. Lust is not just sexual but any selfish desire that keeps a person away from God. I was admiring a Ferrari a couple of years ago. The Lord spoke to me and said, "That's the lust of the eyes". Ouch. Duly noted. So sin is sin.

It is NOT sin to be tempted. I'm single, have been for nearly 25 years. I was married for 9 years with a normal husband/wife relationship. Going from that to celibacy was not easy. But God's grace is sufficient.

Sin is not your friend. It is deceptive. It hardens the heart and turns people away from God. (Hebrews 3:13) Satan deceives by telling us that we are missing out. The reality is that sin destroys us. I miss some aspects of married life, but for sure I do not want to get into a bad relationship just to fulfil natural and normal desires. Those desires do not have to be pandered to outside the marriage relationship.

Pray and ask God for help with your inclination. "Do not lead me into hard testing but deliver me from evil" is a good prayer. Trying to change yourself is not the answer.

Lord Jesus came to save us from our sins. Not just the penalty of sin, but its hold over us. You can be completely free, not by some kind of "therapy" but through the power of the cross of Christ to deliver. Jesus came to set the captives free! Trust Him with your life.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Temptation is not sin in and of itself, but it is sinful to act on homosexual desires, even in your mind. There is no requirement to make yourself into a heterosexual since being single is a godly option. Homosexuality must be renounced before God as a great sin and evil (like His Word calls it). Being agreed with God about homosexuality, submitted to Him to not act on homosexual desires, and being submitted to whatever His Word teaches is the key to finding His grace in Christ to be saved from the guilt and power of homosexuality (and of all sin). Walking in the fear of the Lord and truth of the Bible without compromise and crucifying our flesh will cause us to partake of and grow in God's grace, and to thus increase in the knowledge of God- and in that deeper tendencies and inclinations towards evil will be addressed, cured, and straightened out (pun intended)- again, not just regarding homosexuality but regarding however sin has impacted and damaged one's character. That doesn't guarantee though that one will become a heterosexual even after much spiritual healing; some people just may not have a strong sex drive and may not otherwise be wired well to be in a heterosexual marriage. But that is okay since life is about pleasing and serving God, not about marriage- and we see in 1 Corinthians chapter 7 that people can serve God acceptably in being married and in being single- and that being single can often actually be ideal in living towards that great and awesome goal. "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Revelation 4:11)

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can’t imagine how dreadful it would be if you had a son who was gay

and you could only be radical and like a black & white text book towards him !

I would still love him but, he would know my Christian views regarding this sin.

At judgment day all are on their own.
In deep trouble if not covered by the blood of Jesus.

Christians should understand what true repentance means.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I believe that sexuality is an innate characteristic and probably determined before birth. There are many studies that show a correlation between biology and sexual orientation, although social and environmental factors may also play a part (although not exclusively).
I do not believe that this is the case.
Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ?
I believe that for most people, sexual orientation is fixed and unchangeable. I also go along with the consensus of medical opinion that attempting to alter ones sexual orientation can be detrimental to their health and wellbeing.
Every human is a sexual being and it is therefore natural to have feelings of affection or attraction towards others of the opposite sex (or in the case of gay people, attraction to the same sex). I do not consider that having a biological attraction is, in itself, sinful.

The Bible does contain a number of passages which appear to prohibit various sexual practices. However, homosexuality and heterosexuality are much broader terms which describe how human beings relate to one another and express their feelings, rather than simply engaging in specific sexual acts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of us humans were born in sin. Therefore, all of us were born wrong. We all need to be changed by Jesus so our various about-self orientations are corrected >

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

And yes when people get told they can't have what is wrong, they can have a fit and say people hate them. If you know people who have brought up kids and teenagers, possibly you have seen this.

We see how adults heterosexual still do not know how to relate in marriage, and they still have lust problems. God's love is gentle and humble and quiet and caring and does not drive us to just or mainly use someone for pleasure. A lot of people, then, really, have the problem of being oriented to pleasure, so they don't know how to love any and all people, because their love for pleasure is not God's all-loving love.

And we see how children can have such a pleasure orientation, even so they can't take no for an answer; because we all were born in sin.

But our Apostle Paul says, "I will not be brought under the power of any." (in 1 Corinthians 6:12) So, if lust has you under the power of any thing > that driving dominating won't-take-no-for-an-aswer dictatorial demand is wrong. In God's grace we are sweetly satisfied while doing His will in Jesus Christ's "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30) Our enjoyment does not depend on how well the pleasure goes, but we have pleasure in Jesus Himself in God's love > Romans 5:5, Psalm 63:3.

I did not choose to be born in sin; so I did not choose to be born wrong. But for quite some I was assuming I was right and entitled to whatever I wanted. Because I was born in sin, and sin made me so love-stupid.

My orientation needs to be changed to how Jesus has us loving any and all people, and not trying to just use any person for anything, but personally and tenderly care about each and every person. And have hope for any person, at all, like how Jesus on the cross had hope for even any evil person >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

My opinion now is if we function in God's love, He will have us attracted to the person we belong with in marriage. Our attraction will not be merely to what a person looks like, because God is no respecter of persons. But our interest truly sexual is to reproduce children who are God's way, and this means we need someone who will be a good example for our children.

So, favoring a man or a woman because of what he or she looks like is not learning how to love, I would say. I notice, anyway . . . in my case . . . how I can tend to look at what females look like, and this can cancel me from first caring for them in prayer and blessing and loving them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is out of synch with what is natural, but not inherently sinful to have those feelings. Many people do. I do.

But acting on those feelings is wrong. Living out those feelings would not be right.

We must acknowledge them, bring it to God, bring it to Christ, and for His sake, stay chaste, and offer the sacrifice of saying "no" to our wants up to Him.

God does not give us these feelings, or create them or inspire them within us. They are or can be a part of our nature as fallen beings, as fallen humans.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The issue is how we are supposed to treat our neighbors as ourselves.
I don't investigate their sex life, they don't judge mine either.

If you are asking for yourself....that's a different answer.
If you are asking for yourself....then it is up to you to decide
what is right for you. If you are struggling with an attraction to men
then I don't want you to marry my daughter. You need to get that
all settled first. My daughter is not right for you.

It only makes sense you don't ask somebody to switch sides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is out of synch with what is natural, but not inherently sinful to have those feelings. Many people do. I do.

But acting on those feelings is wrong. Living out those feelings would not be right.

We must acknowledge them, bring it to God, bring it to Christ, and for His sake, stay chaste, and offer the sacrifice of saying "no" to our wants up to Him.

God does not give us these feelings, or create them or inspire them within us. They are or can be a part of our nature as fallen beings, as fallen humans.

The warnings are about promiscuity type acts. Sex outside of marriage.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We see how adults heterosexual still do not know how to relate in marriage, and they still have lust problems. God's love is gentle and humble and quiet and caring and does not drive us to just or mainly use someone for pleasure. A lot of people, then, really, have the problem of being oriented to pleasure, so they don't know how to love any and all people, because their love for pleasure is not God's all-loving love.

I live in a gay neighborhood. Not 50% but substantial. They have zero lust problems. Especially compared to straight families.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They have zero lust problems.
I mean a drive which won't take no for an answer, and I have been with men who claim they can't get rid of that driving and nagging stuff which has no regard for their free will.

Also, in Romans 1:18-32 we can read what became of men with men who had refused God. The Bible says they had lust trouble.

Now, you possibly mean to say you have gotten to know every person you are talking about, personally enough so you really know what is going on with each one. And you are guaranteeing every one has told you the truth . . . if every one of them has really talked in detail with you about this.

I have read otherwise. Enough can be not enough. I have been hunted down on the street by gangs and individuals who could be pretty mean when I just let them mind their own business, saying hi or just keeping on walking. One time, on Sunday morning, while I was on the street living with outdoor homeless people as a missionary outreach experiment, a van stopped with guys in it, and one asked me if I knew where they could find homosexuals.

I said, "Wherever you go, there will be homosexuals." And on I went. If people are truly deeply satisfied, why are they hunting down me???? And why do they treat me like dirt when I simply say hi and be kind and sweet to them and then move on?

You say zero; I question that. I have actually spent time with people, in various ways. All humans have been born in sin; all of us have had lust problems, one way or another. When people are fighting and arguing and screaming and cat-fighting over not having things the way they want, this can be connected with how lust demands and expects what it has people wanting. Ones can react very nastily and negatively when their lust is not getting what it drives and demands them to get.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“There is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of 'reparative conversion therapy' as a treatment to change one's sexual orientation” the American Psychiatric Association has officially stated. "Clinical experience suggests that any person who seeks conversion therapy may be doing so because of social bias that has resulted in internalized homophobia, and that gay men and lesbians who have accepted their sexual orientation are better adjusted than those who have not done so."

Perhaps the most famous case study in the failure of reparative therapy is that of two founders of Exodus International in 1976, Michael Bussee and Gary Cooper, who worked to "convert" gay people for three years, until they fell in love and left Exodus in 1979. In 1982, they held a marriage ceremony and lived together until Cooper died nine years later. "The desires never go away," Bussee said. "After dealing with hundreds of people, I have not met one who went from gay to straight. Even if you manage to alter someone's sexual behavior, you cannot change their true sexual orientation."

Consider the reverse situation. As a heterosexual person I cannot imagine having to undergo some sort of therapy to convert me to homosexual. Moreover I cannot imagine it working. Homosexuality is certainly not a choice. Moreover, given the hatred, the condemnation and the persecution so prevalent in society, I cannot imagine anyone making that choice.

So, the short answer to the question in the OP is "No". Being homosexual or bisexual or transgender is not a choice or a sin. Acting upon your natural sexual inclination is a whole other question.
If sexuality is fixed, why do homosexuals regularly try to convert people of heterosexual orientation?
Over my lifetime (including when I was a child), I have experienced a number of attempts on my sexual orientation by homosexual men.
It seems that sexual fluidity is accepted one direction only.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If sexuality is fixed, why do homosexuals regularly try to convert people of heterosexual orientation?
Over my lifetime (including when I was a child), I have experienced a number of attempts on my sexual orientation by homosexual men.
It seems that sexual fluidity is accepted one direction only.

I am certainly no expert on these issues but perhaps I do have an insight on this one point. Homosexuality affects perhaps 3% of the population. This means that homosexuals seeking another heterosexual for a relationship have the odds stacked against them. They are searching. Just as the rest of us do ---- or have done.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am certainly no expert on these issues but perhaps I do have an insight on this one point. Homosexuality affects perhaps 3% of the population. This means that homosexuals seeking another heterosexual for a relationship have the odds stacked against them. They are searching. Just as the rest of us do ---- or have done.
I understand the difficulty, I choose to be a Christian heterosexual searching for some one of a similar persuasion and am similarly limited.
But this does not answer the question: why try to change a persons orientation?
If the homosexual truly beleives that orientation is static it will be pointless searching among heterosexuals or minors.
On the other hand if sexuality is fluid then the person might consider changing orientation themselves rather than trying to change somebody else, just as if I want to find a partner of a different persuasion to me it will be for me to accomodate the difference.

Reactions: tdidymas
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
IOn the other hand if sexuality is fluid then the person might consider changing orientation themselves rather than trying to change somebody else, just as if I want to find a partner of a different persuasion to me it will be for me to accomodate the difference.

Anguspure,

It’s likely they hit on you for one of these reasons:

You tripped their gaydar. Meaning, you’re in the closet or curious.
They like the prospect of flipping someone straight.
The opportunity presented itself.

In most cases, its something they sensed in the other person which warrants the attention.

~Bella

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.