Is it sinful to have a Homosexual Orientation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry. I still don’t see how your Bible quote answered any question I ever asked.
Here is the Bible quote with some additional context added.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11

"9 Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God. "

This is a list of unrighteous people that Christians should not use for judges. It includes many types of sinners, but verse 11 is often considered by Christians to be referring to homosexuals who have left the lifestyle. Of course, people who have turned away from all of the above lifestyles can also claim this verse as their testimony.

I am not ashamed of my testimony, but I do realize that it is not one to tell everyone. Sad to say, but some Christians have so much distrust toward homosexuals that even those of us who have been victorious over this sin for thirty years are suspected of still being unrighteous. For example, search for information on the Reprobate Doctrine. For this reason, I believe simply using 1 Cor 6:11 as my testimony to the general public is the proper thing to do.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
Here is the Bible quote with some additional context added.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11

"9 Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God. "

This is a list of unrighteous people that Christians should not use for judges. It includes many types of sinners, but verse 11 is often considered by Christians to be referring to homosexuals who have left the lifestyle. Of course, people who have turned away from all of the above lifestyles can also claim this verse as their testimony.

I am not ashamed of my testimony, but I do realize that it is not one to tell everyone. Sad to say, but some Christians have so much distrust toward homosexuals that even those of us who have been victorious over this sin for thirty years are suspected of still being unrighteous. For example, search for information on the Reprobate Doctrine. For this reason, I believe simply using 1 Cor 6:11 as my testimony to the general public is the proper thing to do.
[/QUOTE]
It’s an extremely LONG, and confusing way of answering a question.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think you have extreme views that are very disturbing. I can’t imagine how dreadful it would be if you had a son who was gay and you could only be radical and like a black & white text book towards him !
You cant be a Christian and have different beliefs than Jesus. Jesus and the OT are very clear on homosexuality.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation? Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ? Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ? Is it sinful to find men attractive?
Whether or not a homosexual is born into it or it is a choice is beyond the point and doesn't matter. Why?
“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

And
“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Sin is truly tempting. Thats why we must be loving to that community and try to show them the truth with kindness and not with judgement. But, we cant sacrifice the commandment of repentance just to be politically correct.
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True that Lust is the sin, and not the lifestyle choices.
Actually, James says that sin results from lust, therefore lust is not sin. The behavior is sin, not the temptation. However, sin can be in the thoughts, as in mental adultery described in Mat. 5. But that is also a behavior, not a temptation.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation? Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ? Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ? Is it sinful to find men attractive?

The bible clearly teaches that there is only one right form of sex. That between a man married to his wife.
All other forms of sex are unlawfull or sinful.

But sin is composed of two elements.
There is the thought element as well as the action.

Jesus taught that thoughts that are out of control are the same as the deed.

So being homosexual is no more sinful then being hetrosexual.
So if ones thoughts and actions are under control one is no more sinful than anybody else.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,266.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think we are to be careful not to say too much about things we don't fully know. There seems to be people that are drawn both ways and those that have attraction only to the same gender. Trying to change the sexual orientation is doomed to fail. What to do is stay away from sin, live righteously and follow Christ in Spirit with heart, body and soul. Christ can change what's needed to be changed. For God nothing is impossible.

Christ love,
P

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think 5-10% is probably more accurate. But at some point Homosexuality has to be defined. Is a one time encounter at 16 make you gay? I don't think so. if someone says they are gay, then enters a long term same sex relationship, but after a while realizes it's not for them and returns to heterosexual relationships, are they still considered gay? bisexual? or, someone who experimented and realized it's not for them? and who sets the criteria, who applies the label. I know people in both those situations, who absolutely not consider themselves gay, but the they have both been labeled...

3% may indeed be lowball but the 5-10% usually includes not only homosexuals but bisexuals, bisexuals, transgenders, etc.

Upvote 0

MarcusT

Oct 9, 2019
Jyvaskyla
✟8,192.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
My reaction to this difficult question is two-fold:
  • Firstly, I simply don't understand homosexuality, so it is easy for me to be critical of it.
  • Secondly, I find the biblical verses against homosexual acts convincing.
But clearly the Lutheran denomination I belong to will in the near future openly accept homosexual couples and give a blessing to them. In practice, even if not in theory, it already has.

It is a puzzling situation, but like I said, 'I don't have a dog in this fight', so my guess is I will follow the public teaching on this issue, what ever that may be in the near future.

Similarly, I have accepted female priests because they have been a fact as long as I have been a member of my congregation, that is all my life.

I don't know..Maybe I'm theologically lazy or - which is more likely - I'm theologically ignorant. In many controversial issues I have read convincing arguments for and against. It's difficult for a layman like me to adopt a strict position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,059.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation?
Sexual orientation is not a choice. No one knows why a person is sexually attracted to another person and there are various degrees to how much one may feel attraction to one sex or both. Acting upon that attraction is where sin comes.
Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ?
Some do. There are people who are bi-sexual.
Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ?
I think God is capable of anything and believe only God can change sexual orientation. Christians should seek God's will in their life and allow his Spirit to lead them.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LGBT youth are four times more likely to commit suicide. LGBT have a higher incidence of mental illness.
LGBT people are prone to mental illness. It’s a truth we shouldn’t shy away from | Alexander Leon

Paul was not married, but was against homosexuality: Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.

Leviticus 18 and Leviticus 20 banned homosexuality.

One who does adultery should cease such actions. One who does homosexual acts should cease such actions. Premarital sex and prostitution are sins.

Homosexuals were at higher risk of sexually transmitted disease.

It is better to be celibate than homosexual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you have extreme views that are very disturbing. I can’t imagine how dreadful it would be if you had a son who was gay and you could only be radical and like a black & white text book towards him !

I consider the views of those who condone homosexuality disturbing.

What is not black and white about Gods expectations on the subject. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

God is radical and exactly like a black and white text book on the subject. He says what he expects of us, and expects what he says, so I suppose he figures that's the best approach.

How do you think one should deal with the problem when when God/the bible says exactly how living as a homosexual will end?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to have a Homosexual orientation?

Yes.

Does a person choose to have a Homosexual orientation or not ?

Ultimately, yes. Though, there are various psycho-social factors influencing the development of homosexual behaviour over which a person may not have much direct control.

Should someone with a Homosexual orientation try to change their orientation and make themselves into a Heterosexual ?

They don't have to make themselves heterosexual; they are heterosexual by default. If any "making" is going on, it is in the direction of homosexuality.

Is it sinful to find men attractive?

Not if you're a woman.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It becomes a sin when you fornicate. The Holy Spirit will take care of the urge to do so if you walk in His Spirit.
Blessings

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.