Is it possible to be sinless for 5 seconds straight?

Is it possible to be sinless for 5 seconds straight?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First we have to define sin.
Sin according to scripture is, "transgression of the law" - 1 John 3:4

Consider sleeping. Do we transgress the law in the 7-8 hours we sleep? Do we transgress the law if we're praying in tongues, or prophesying? Or praising God?

If your answer is yes: If it's possible to be sinless for more than 5 seconds. Is it possible for 10 minutes, 1 week, 1 year, or the rest of your life?

If your answer is no: Explain how we transgress the law, within any given 5 seconds, while having the Holy Spirit living in us.

And it's not to say we are perfect if we are sinless. Like a girl who is defiled by a man, cannot be a virgin again. (perfect abstinence)
We were already defiled by sin. But there is an argument for being born again into clean garments.

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Consider sleeping. Do we transgress the law in the 7-8 hours we sleep? Do we transgress the law if we're praying in tongues, or prophesying? Or praising God?

If your answer is yes: If it's possible to be sinless for more than 5 seconds. Is it possible for 10 minutes, 1 week, 1 year, or the rest of your life?

If your answer is no: Explain how we transgress the law, within any given 5 seconds, while having the Holy Spirit living in us.

Romans 8 says of the wicked "they do not submit to the Law of God neither indeed CAN they" as contrasted to the saints. Romans 8:4-11

Saints "keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

How is this the answer to the OP? Because in the NT "SIN Is transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4 By definition Romans 3:19-20

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

And it's not to say we are perfect if we are sinless. Like a girl who is defiled by a man, cannot be a virgin again. (perfect abstinence)
We were already defiled by sin. But there is an argument for being born again into clean garments.

Jesus never walked on water.

Matthew 14 tells the account of Jesus walking on water. Peter saw Jesus and tried to walk to him. He made it a little way before beginning to sink: in his sins. He had no choice but to cry out, "Lord save me". He needed a savior because, even though he could continue for a little while, he could not make it on his own.

So yes, you can go for a little while without sinning.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

To say we cannot go 5 seconds without sin is to doubt the power of God.

St. Augustijne said that virgins who were raped were still virgins in God's eyes.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we could really know if we did or not.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked;
who can understand it?

Romans 7:18-20
For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Galatians 5:17
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

1 John 1:8
"If we say we have no sin we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us"

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we could really know if we did or not.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked;
who can understand it?

Romans 7:18-20
For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Galatians 5:17
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

1 John 1:8
"If we say we have no sin we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us"
You really have to understand each verse in context, before applying it to this matter.
Like I said in OP, sin is transgression of law.
So you have to explain how we sin.

You said you don't really think we can know.
"Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin."
If you know the law, then you know the sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

First, without meaning offense, the way you have written your questions is somewhat non-nonsensical. Or maybe I have just not understood what it is you are asking, other than is it possible to be continuously sinless. I will not address that obvious question, but I will address your apparent presumption that it is not possible to be sinning during certain activities, such as sleeping. I apologize if I have misunderstood.

It is important to include the other part of the scriptural definition of sin:

"All unrighteousness is sin..." (1 John 5:17).

Secondly, it important to remember that sin can be present in the form of sins of ignorance
(Lev. 4:13) or sins arising from so called "infirmity." (Rom. 6:19; 8:26). Such sin is real and can, I believe, be present during the activities you have mentioned, even though the person sinning such sin is genuinely justified in Christ. As genuine sins, such sins require the atoning work of Christ for remission.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can actually be in tolerable sin state, i mean, you don't do 'death sin' worthy of death, but you can sin somehow, and some of those tolerable sins can be ugly and needed to us to repent, but are not of death.

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Define "pure" and how it relates to transgressing the law.

There is more to it than the law...
The law is to not do mortal sins, but exist other sins that we have, and don't let us be 100% clean

Upvote 0

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, without meaning offense, the way you have written your questions is somewhat non-nonsensical. Or maybe I have just not understood what it is you are asking, other than is it possible to be continuously sinless. I will not address that obvious question, but I will address your apparent presumption that it is not possible to be sinning during certain activities, such as sleeping. I apologize if I have misunderstood.

It is important to include the other part of the scriptural definition of sin:

"All unrighteousness is sin..." (1 John 5:17).

Secondly, it important to remember that sin can be present in the form of sins of ignorance
(Lev. 4:13) or sins arising from so called "infirmity." (Rom. 6:19; 8:26). Such sin is real and can, I believe, be present during the activities you have mentioned, even though the person sinning such sin is genuinely justified in Christ. As genuine sins, such sins require the atoning work of the Christ for remission.
Ok so how is a person unrighteous when they sleep?

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Ok so how is a person unrighteous when they sleep?
HI,

Pleas notice that I did not say or intimate such. I indicated that it seems possible that a person can be guilty of a sin of ignorance even while they sleep. But that does not mean they are unrighteous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It depends on how you define sin (which you did do).

Transgression of the law is one thing we consider. But only by overt acts? By words? By thoughts? What about our attitudes?

And the true meaning of "sin" (hamartia) is "missing the mark". What mark do we aim for? It is supposed to be Christ. If we consider whether we fall short of Christ - in action, word, thought, or attitude - then we sin constantly.

But if it's simply not breaking a law, then certainly that is possible. For how long again depends on how you define it. We should certainly be able to restrain our actions and words for some period of time. Thoughts are a much harder discipline to master. And attitudes and those tendencies of our flesh can be uprooted, but it takes great effort and few really even attempt it. That can be a lifetime effort.

Upvote 0