• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Is it ok to lie in this case?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by CamillaBegumm, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,177
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'd really need to know what happened before I make a recommendation. Generally speaking, a person needs to screw up for a church to want nothing to do with them or anyone they associate with.

2. Swan7

Swan7 Made in the image of His Grace Supporter

+6,727
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    This is correct, Biblically speaking. If a matter cannot be resolved with one or two people, then it is taken to the whole congregation and the person in sin is cast out, but only for a time until that person reaches repentance. It sounds like this person did not repent... and is in darkness.
    Matthew 18:15-20

I can see this two ways:
    1. Deliberately not listening to the pastor's institution, which is Biblical and the Word of God, is not wise and should be repentant from.
    2. However, if you had initially heard and listened to this instruction given to us by God, and you had run into this person not of your own accord; then I agree with your second statement above. This is the Spirit of the Word.
    Hebrews 4:11-12

See, here is a great lesson to be learned: Sin works in our life like a young lion. It seems cute and harmless, but quickly becomes an overbearing weight and even a threat to your salvation. Sin separates us from God.
    Job 38:39

Please do not despair reading this, I am only pointing you to scripture with what God has already said. We all have come short of the glory of God - all have sinned.
    But thanks be to God! He gave His only begotten Son to die for all (the ultimate sacrificial Lamb of God), so we can be reconciled with Him - those who believe in Him and love Him.

This is why we have a conscience, the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin in our life so we may repent and allow Jesus Christ to live in and through us. :yellowheart: This is why I said this is a great lesson, so please have joy in our Lord and Saviour! :angel:
    John 16:8

Also, please do repent quickly or God will correct you: Please read Hebrews 10 as it seems to correlate to this very issue, plus giving you hope and encouragement at the same time! God is Great! :yellowheart:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Andrew77

Andrew77 The walking accident Supporter

+1,218
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Yeah, this does sound odd.

In order to determine what I would do, I would need to know exactly what this person did. I would need to know all the details of what is going on.

Because there are situations where I would want everyone to steer clear of this person.

There are other situations, where it just sounds like you have a weak pastor, that is being manipulated by some crazy people, and I would say tell them off. I'm not going to be bullied into being a jerk to someone who has done nothing wrong to me, just because he offended your tiny little egos. And if you don't want me going to your church, works for me. I wouldn't want to be with crazy people anyway.

But again, this is all dependent on what exactly this guy did, and you didn't say.

I would not lie about it though. Better to obey the pastor, and cut off contact with the guy, than lie to the pastor. Either tell the pastor the truth, and accept whatever the consequences are with a smile.... or do what the pastor says.

Make a choice. One or the other. Both isn't an option.

4. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+787
    Catholic
    Single
    I;m not sure if i need to..I mean, if you are that discrete then it must be that serious or you are something embarrassing, i'll just assume it's the earlier.

If it is something that is going to get you in trouble with the law or just against your code then just decline.

5. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I'd say be honest. If they cast you out, you're better off for it anyway. The behavior you are describing from the congregation doesn't sound like Jesus, it sounds like the people who crucified Him.

Before reading your post the scripture that came to mind was "to the innocent you show yourself innocent, to the crooked, you show yourself shrewd" I don't know how that applies to the specifics .. but there you are.

6. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,004
    Christian
    Single
    I don't know how bad a thing this guy did, but I don't like the churches controlling attitude over you. There also seems to be a LOT of unforgiveness going on here.

Anyway, the lie? that's between you and God and we all know how the verse goes, "Charity covers a multitude of sin". I'd say you were being mighty charitable towards this man when no one else seems to care.

I honestly would ask forgiveness for it and worry no more about the lie. Just keep it between you and God, as I think the necessity for the lie was the bigger problem here.

7. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,004
    Christian
    Single
    I tend to agree, but might consider just leaving. And tha's just me so be careful with what i say.