Is it ever a waste of time to pray for someone?

J.B.

Apr 9, 2010
California
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is it ever a waste of time to pray for someone? Is there a point in which we should move on, and focus our prayers for others, instead?

I have recently been troubled by a notion that efforts in praying for some people are fruitless. I believe that Christians can and should pray for various things, including for other people. However, it seems that there are so many people in the world whose hearts are stubborn, and hardened against Jesus Christ and his followers. I do not claim to know exactly who these people are, unless they openly proclaim their defiance against God, although it would appear that many people's lives do not change; they either knowingly continue in their rebellion against God, or they do not discover Christianity. Sometimes, I feel that since I have never met a certain individual before, that somehow it diminishes the strength of my prayer, although this is wrong itself. When praying, I feel like I have a close connection to God, yet I feel so far away from whoever I may be praying for. This distant feeling, if it makes sense to you, must be caused by my doubts and uneasiness about how they live their own lives. Again, I cannot know for sure if they are truly Christians. The best I could hope to know is if someone has publicly proclaimed to be of the Christian faith. This is also true concerning celebrities like actors, actresses, musicians, authors, athletes, and others.

I think my problem may be related to the Bible verse of Matthew 10:4, "And whoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when you depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." Is there a point in which Christians should move on if the other person makes no spiritual improvement in their lives, concerning their walk with Christ, or a path to lead to him? Does Matthew 10:4 apply to prayers, or in the physical sense of witnessing faith to others?

I try to pray as much as possible for other individuals, although I believe that I could improve in my praying habits, as I don't think I do it very often. I will also let you know that I pray for myself, as well, in addition to my family and others mentioned in prayers. As far as praying for myself is concerned, I try to put myself into a mindset of humility, yet a somewhat self-deprecating one, as though I am unworthy of God's blessings.

What I would like know is what is right versus what is wrong in my thinking. I feel convicted into believing that there may be something wrong with the mentality that prayers directed towards certain individuals may not affect them, even with hardened hearts against Christ, yet I also believe that anything is possible with God. I am ultimately conflicted, so please correct me however necessary. Thank you.

TPeterY

But seek first the Kingdom of God....
Jan 16, 2014
✟1,583.00
Faith
Christian
I didn't bother to read the entire post but looked at the title and decided to reply.

Here's the biggest secret I've found for getting your prayers answer. I use to pray for myself regularly and a huge majority of prayers never got answer.

I can't remember what promoted me to start praying for others but once I started doing that, a huge majority of my prayers were answered.

God knows each of our needs and desires better than we do. Just pray for others regularly and always be thankful to Him in prayer and God will answer your thoughts before you even have to pray for yourself.

Every morning before I get out of bed, I do a 10 minute prayer just thanking Him for His blessings, wisdom, guidance and love, and continue with praying for others. Doing this, I don't even have to worry or pray for myself anymore. It's amazing what this 10 minute conversation with God on a daily basis has done in my life.

Just 10 minutes....everyday!!! Sure beats fasting for a day with no result.

But don't do this because you want something from Him, do this because you know He wants to hear from you. He looks at your heart and determines your motives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2014
✟7,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray as you think God is leading you. It might be that God has led someone else to pray for someone that you think doesn't need prayer so that you can pray for someone else?
We have no idea who will accept Christ and who will not that is not our place to decide. We are to pray in hope and faith believing anyone has the opportunity to be saved.

Upvote 0
W

willows

Prayer is never a waste of time. One of the things that you can do, is to encourage yourself by reading stories of people who have changed for the better because of prayer, because of preaching. At the same time one has to be realistic, not everyone wants a relationship with Jesus Christ. Personally what I do is to talk to someone who is not a christian about Jesus Christ just one time. If the person is not interested I don't talk to them about accepting Jesus Christ again, because I don't want to force the person to accept Jesus or anything like that. Praying for the individual privately, treating the person properly, treating others like one wants to be treated goes a very long way. One may talk to a person who does not want to accept Jesus Christ, but that same person may respond very well to how they are treated, like you saying hi to them, talking to them about things you have in common. Just by being how Jesus Christ wants you to be. Some persons accept Jesus Christ, based on how Christians themselves behave toward them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,776.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, there is only so much time for prayer, just as there is only so much time for everything else. You never know if a prayer that seems to have had no effect will take root at some time in the future. But if you have prayed once and really meant it, I believe you have done your job. There is no reason to believe that multiple prayers are better than one, single, heart felt and humble prayer.

After you have prayed for such and such person, let yourself off the hook and pray for something or someone else. You've done your part. The rest is up to the Holy Spirit.

Praying for you to have peace on this issue.

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟864,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is never a waste of time to pray for someone. The Lord encourages it. We can pray for people the Lord lays on our heart too. And I agree with Mister Al, the Lord may tell you to stop praying for someone. Yes, it's just time to leave them with the Lord and see who He wants you to pray for. Could be a lot of people, could be a few. I like to pray for my family and for others the Lord puts on my hearts, and for the people who live near me. God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like they've said: "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;" I Tin 2:1

Since they were on your heart once, encourage you to just keep praying. You may be their only human intercessor before Yahweh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matrha

Sep 18, 2014
Missouri
✟15,200.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It is NEVER a waste of time to pray for others! I once asked myself this question concerning one the youth on my youth drama team. I was praying for this boy and complained to God! "God, it seems like the more I pray for _________, the worse he gets! He seems like a hopeless case to me!" God had me read about Paul persecuting the Christians. He was more zealous, passionate and rising above ALL his countrymen, doing what he thought was God's will. I read it and wondered what I was missing. God had me read it again. So, I did and wondered what I was missing. God had me read it a third time. I did and finally asked God, "What am I missing!?" God said so clearly, "Don't you think Paul looked like a hopeless case?" When you don't know how to pray for someone, dig in the Word. That's how God speaks to us, is through His word. When He told me to read that passage again, it was just a thought that went through my head. "Read it again." If you spend quality time in prayer and in the Word, you will know when it is God speaking to you. He is so eager to talk with you. He is your FRIEND, the LOVER of your SOUL. He loves to spend time with you! He loves to answer your prayers that are in line with His Word also! Remember that God looks at the HEART of man, and we can only look at the outer appearence. So, even if it LOOKS like in the natural that nothing has changed, we always know that God deals with EVERYONE'S HEART. And when you pray, pray the scriptures and the promises of God. Because, GOD'S WORD DOES NOT RETURN VOID IT ACCOMPLISHES WHAT IT SAYS IT WILL DO!!! WHATSOEVER, YOU DESIRE WHEN YOU PRAY, BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE (Present tense) AND YOU SHALL HAVE IT!" Read that over. When we truly BELIEVE that we HAVE IT NOW. Then we'll talk like we HAVE IT NOW, by THANKING GOD FOR THE ANSWER. Regardless of what it looks like. Walk by faith in God's Word, NOT by sight, by what we see.

Upvote 0

LatinCoffee

God's soldier
Dec 2, 2011
Chicago IL
✟14,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God knows each of our needs and desires better than we do. Just pray for others regularly and always be thankful to Him in prayer and God will answer your thoughts before you even have to pray for yourself.

AMen! I do this myself TPeter. I feel and know that God wants us to pray about everything. To me everything would be anything and anyone...even for our enemies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums