Is it a sin for a Christian to listen to Heavy Metal music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree... that song is really bad. I haven't actually heard it, but I've seen the lyrics... the person who wrote them must have been smoking something really bad. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't write something which makes less sense than that song... it's an absolute masterpiece of nonsense :eek:
The song makes perfect sense, if you understand a few key words in the song itself. Perhaps that's where your confusion is coming from.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

In any event it isn't appropriate for a five year old little girl to be listening to or singing IMO. I suppose I should have said something to the grandparents...

Yeah, I should have said something but didn't.

Perhaps. And perhaps not. Sometimes it is difficult to know whether it is better to stand up for your beliefs and come across as disrespectful to your elders or whether it is better to respect your elders and keep quiet about something even though it really bothers you. Knowing what to do in those situations takes discernment, and sometimes, I believe, it is better to keep your opinions to yourself.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Perhaps. And perhaps not. Sometimes it is difficult to know whether it is better to stand up for your beliefs and come across as disrespectful to your elders or whether it is better to respect your elders and keep quiet about something even though it really bothers you. Knowing what to do in those situations takes discernment, and sometimes, I believe, it is better to keep your opinions to yourself.
Also, it's quite possible that the grandparents were just as confused about the lyrics as the 5 year old was. I'm certain had they known what the song was really about, they would have turned it off immediately.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Also, it's quite possible that the grandparents were just as confused about the lyrics as the 5 year old was. I'm certain had they known what the song was really about, they would have turned it off immediately.

That's why I say it takes discernment as opposed to saying that is definitely right or definitely wrong to say anything. For example, if the grandparents seem like they are really not up on pop culture, then it might be best to say something out of earshot of others, so as not to embarrass them. However, if you assume that, simply because of their age, they don't understand what the song means, it might be offensive to "explain" it to them. The point is that there are all sorts of possibilities of what was really going on; some of them might warrant talking to them about the situation; some of the them might warrant keeping opinions to ourselves. This is why discernment is so important. It's not always easy to know what the best thing is in a given situation. Not having been there, I can't really say whether JW ought to have said anything or not. I probably would not have, but they may just as much out of cowardice as discernment. ;)

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Well, I felt really saddened by the experience. I didn't want to insult the grandparents. However, I could have said something gently to them. Now, I feel I should have. They have older kids also staying with them. It's unfortunate that kids are exposed to this stuff so young. Innocence is such a beautiful thing. It can be regained though through walking with the Lord. Still it's a shame for a child to lose it early in life.

I must say if I had any young children today if at all possible I'd home school them.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's why I say it takes discernment as opposed to saying that is definitely right or definitely wrong to say anything. For example, if the grandparents seem like they are really not up on pop culture, then it might be best to say something out of earshot of others, so as not to embarrass them. However, if you assume that, simply because of their age, they don't understand what the song means, it might be offensive to "explain" it to them. The point is that there are all sorts of possibilities of what was really going on; some of them might warrant talking to them about the situation; some of the them might warrant keeping opinions to ourselves. This is why discernment is so important. It's not always easy to know what the best thing is in a given situation. Not having been there, I can't really say whether JW ought to have said anything or not. I probably would not have, but they may just as much out of cowardice as discernment. ;)
I say bypass the grandparents altogether and address the situation with the little girl. The grandparents weren't the ones who were listening to it by choice and dancing to it as if it were harmless radio filler. The problem lies with the little girl, not the grandparents.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I say bypass the grandparents altogether and address the situation with the little girl. The grandparents weren't the ones who were listening to it by choice and dancing to it as if it were harmless radio filler. The problem lies with the little girl, not the grandparents.
Oh come on! She's only five years old. I should have and will say something to the grandparents cause they are the ones that buy the music for the kids. They just get them what they ask for. I'm pretty sure they've got no idea regarding the content.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh come on! She's only five years old. I should have and will say something to the grandparents cause they are the ones that buy the music for the kids. They just get them what they ask for. I'm pretty sure they've got no idea regarding the content.
"Oh come on! She's only five years old."

Oh okay. Do you really think that's a valid reason for not addressing this issue with her? You think she's not smart enough to "get it"? Kids are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for. They know the difference between right and wrong. Also, maybe I missed it but where are the girl's parents in all of this?

"I should have and will say something to the grandparents cause they are the ones that buy the music for the kids. They just get them what they ask for."

Right, and why is the child asking for it? Because the child wants it. That's where the problem lies, with the child and what the child is desiring.

"I'm pretty sure they've got no idea regarding the content."

But if you address it with the child and the child's desires change, there is no reason to expose the grandparents to that stuff.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Oh okay. Do you really think that's a valid reason for not addressing this issue with her? You think she's not smart enough to "get it"? Kids are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for. They know the difference between right and wrong. Also, maybe I missed it but where are the girl's parents in all of this?

Well, I don't think she even comprehends the issue. It's not my place to explain the issue either. Nor is it my place to tell her what she should and should not listen too. For that matter I can't tell the GP either. I can only tell them what the content is then it's thier decision.

Right, and why is the child asking for it? Because the child wants it. That's where the problem lies, with the child and what the child is desiring.
Forgive me, but are you intentionally being silly?

But if you address it with the child and the child's desires change, there is no reason to expose the grandparents to that stuff.
You've got to be kidding. I'm assuming you're kidding.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I understand what you're saying. I think I can risk offense for the sake of the child. There's got to be a way to say it. It's coming to me as I'm writing this.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I don't think she even comprehends the issue. It's not my place to explain the issue either. Nor is it my place to tell her what she should and should not listen too. For that matter I can't tell the GP either. I can only tell them what the content is then it's thier decision.

Forgive me, but are you intentionally being silly?

You've got to be kidding. I'm assuming you're kidding.
Well, I don't think she even comprehends the issue.

Okay, just so we're clear. What's the issue?

"It's not my place to explain the issue either. Nor is it my place to tell her what she should and should not listen too. For that matter I can't tell the GP either. I can only tell them what the content is then it's thier decision."

Why do you feel you need to tell them anything at all? If you can't tell the child or the GP that it's wrong to listen to that, why do you feel it's your job to educate them about this one song?

Quote:
"Forgive me, but are you intentionally being silly?"

No, I'm telling you that the real problem here is with the child and what the child wants and you apparently can't come up with a reasonable response. So instead I get the above question from you. Which is really odd when you said the same thing yourself earlier in this thread:

I should have and will say something to the grandparents cause they are the ones that buy the music for the kids. They just get them what they ask for.

Quote:
"You've got to be kidding. I'm assuming you're kidding."

Nope being totally serious here. But since you seem to be pretty powerless to address this situation in any real way, your best bet is to probably keep your mouth shut as it's none of your business to begin with.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, just so we're clear. What's the issue?

The message in the song.

Why do you feel you need to tell them anything at all? If you can't tell the child or the GP that it's wrong to listen to that, why do you feel it's your job to educate them about this one song?

It wouldn't be only about the "one" song. Saying something would illuminate the issue (messages in the music) the GP aren't aware of and help them make better choices.

No, I'm telling you that the real problem here is with the child and what the child wants and you apparently can't come up with a reasonable response. So instead I get the above question from you.

She is not my child, therefor not my place to instruct her.

Again, the child is five years old, she would not comprehend the issue. The child isn't mine. I'd be overstepping my bounds.

Nope being totally serious here. But since you seem to be pretty powerless to address this situation in any real way, your best bet is to probably keep your mouth shut as it's none of your business to begin with.

You're funny. First you tell me I should instruct the child—side-stepping the parental authority. Then you tell me I shouldn't do anything cause it's non of my business...that's funny.

I'll share my knowledge with the grandparents and let them choose what to do. Thanks anyway for your advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The message in the song.

It wouldn't be only about the "one" song. Saying something would illuminate the issue (messages in the music) the GP aren't aware of and help them make better choices.

She is not my child, therefor not my place to instruct her.

Again, the child is five years old, she would not comprehend the issue. The child isn't mine. I'd be overstepping my bounds.

You're funny. First you tell me I should instruct the child—side-stepping the parental authority. Then you tell me I shouldn't do anything cause it's non of my business...that's funny.

I'll share my knowledge with the grandparents and let them choose what to do. Thanks anyway for your advice.
"You're funny. First you tell me I should instruct the child"

I never said you should instruct the child. I said if you're going to address the problem, which you seem to be regretting not doing, you should address the problem. The problem here is not the grandparents, but the desires of the child, which you've stated yourself earlier in this thread.

"—side-stepping the parental authority."

And you're not side-stepping parental authority by going to the grandparents instead of the parents?

"Then you tell me I shouldn't do anything cause it's non of my business...that's funny."

It's not funny because you've admitted you're powerless to do anything and that it's not your place to say anything, yet it's your place to instruct the grandparents on the content of the music. Either it's your place to speak or it isn't. You initially thought it wasn't and didn't say anything. Now for some reason you think you should. Something obviously changed.

"I'll share my knowledge with the grandparents and let them choose what to do. Thanks anyway for your advice."

Good luck. Don't be surpsied if they call you self-righteous though.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I never said you should instruct the child. I said if you're going to address the problem, which you seem to be regretting not doing, you should address the problem. The problem here is not the grandparents, but the desires of the child, which you've stated yourself earlier in this thread.

Well, addressing the issue would be instructing the child.

And you're not side-stepping parental authority by going to the grandparents instead of the parents?

Parents are no longer around.

It's not funny because you've admitted you're powerless to do anything and that it's not your place to say anything, yet it's your place to instruct the grandparents on the content of the music. Either it's your place to speak or it isn't. You initially thought it wasn't and didn't say anything. Now for some reason you think you should. Something obviously changed.

It's not my place to instruct the grandparents but, I can and will share my opinion on the contents of the music. That I can do. Doing so with tact is what is required.

Good luck. Don't be surpsied if they call you self-righteous though.

I doubt it, they are pretty conservative people. Tact isn't my strong point, but, I think I can manage it with God's help.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Parents are no longer around.

It's not my place to instruct the grandparents but, I can and will share my opinion on the contents of the music. That I can do. Doing so with tact is what is required.

I doubt it, they are pretty conservative people. Tact isn't my strong point, but, I think I can manage it with God's help.

Perhaps, but now you're instructing the grandparents on how to raise this chiild by telling them that you don't think they should let their grandchild listen to that music. This objection is based upon your view of what is right and wrong. How do you know they share the same view?

Quote:
"Parents are no longer around."

Okay.

Quote:
"It's not my place to instruct the grandparents but, I can and will share my opinion on the contents of the music."

Why is it your place to say anything to anybody? I mean, let's say you do talk to the grandparents and they do hear you out. Now what? Now they're in the exact same position you didn't want to put yourself in by addressing the child. Plus, the child is still 5 years old and not able to comprehend the problem with the music. So now they've gotta try and explain to a child who can't understand the issue, why there's an issue with that music. The child will most likely be confused by their actions, if they say the child can't listen to the music anymore, because what was once allowed is now no longer allowed, and the child doesn't know why. So what's the child most likely gonna think? That the grandparents are jerks, who just up and took away her music for no good reason. That's what I'd think.

"That I can do. Doing so with tact is what is required."

I really think you should just leave it alone, at least until the child is old enough in your opinion to understand why the music is bad. You left it alone when you initially encountered this problem, so what changed? Do you feel like you let God down by not saying something? We all let God down. Prayerfully repent and move on. I don't see anything good coming from this.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I really think you should just leave it alone, at least until the child is old enough in your opinion to understand why the music is bad. You left it alone when you initially encountered this problem, so what changed? Do you feel like you let God down by not saying something? We all let God down. Prayerfully repent and move on. I don't see anything good coming from this.

Giving you the benifit of the doubt when you said you were serious, I'll respond to you this one last time regarding this side issue and stop hijacking this thread:

You don't know the dynamics of the situation. You don't know my heart on the matter. You don't know God's mind or leading regarding any of the aforementioned. You're not part of the equation in the relationship and don't know my responsibilities to these people on any level whatsoever. Therefor you saying "I see no good coming of this" is you stepping way beyond any vantage you have to give advice on this matter.

Done.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.