Is it a sin for a Christian to listen to Heavy Metal music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you missed my point.

Deep Throat owes as much sucsess to the government trying to censor it.

But you take Jenna Jameson - who everyone knows, regardless of whether you've watched any of her films or read her book - but I can't name any film she's done.

The Devil in Miss Jones as an adaptation of Sartre.

TIME did quite an article about the best inappropriate content flicks after Inside Deep Throat came out. Its not as if all inappropriate content flicks are couple meet - sex - climax - end. There are some that have had actual storylines and capable actors.

I guess it all depends what one would actually consider inappropriate content, though.

Its only shocking if you're a complete prude. I highly doubt if he'd had done it in Paris he'd have gotten the same reaction.

I'd say it is the shock value that will lead them to find it, though the music will keep them. The initial draw will be related to the shock value.

Its like arguing Trudeaumania. Granted, I'm in a very Liberal city in a very Liberal school. But the movement and the reverance for Trudeau is not just politics. My age group didn't experience Trudeau's governent for ourselves, but the reverance is still palpable. Our initial interest comes in the outpouring of admiration the older generation has, but our invested interest would have more to do with his politics.

Its the same with a Morrison or Osbourne or what have you.

I never said he was into the limelight. Just that he knew how to use the press to his gain.

Do you think the leather pants were an accident?
"I think you missed my point.

Deep Throat owes as much sucsess to the government trying to censor it.

I'll agree with that.

"But you take Jenna Jameson - who everyone knows, regardless of whether you've watched any of her films or read her book - but I can't name any film she's done."

I can name two non-inappropriate contentographic films she's been a part of. First, Private Parts, with Howard Stern. Second, Evil Breed: The Legend of Samhain. Ginger Lynn Allen, who is also a notorious inappropriate content star had a role in that movie as did another inappropriate content star who's still in the business today. Can't remember her name though.

Quote:
Along with Debbie Does Dallas, Behind the Green Door and others, but it doesn't mean it offers anything of quality or value to society at large. If you even attempt to argue that there is a social message in inappropriate content, you're gonig on ignore. People watch inappropriate content to get off, not to gain a deeper understanding of society.
TIME did quite an article about the best inappropriate content flicks after Inside Deep Throat came out. Its not as if all inappropriate content flicks are couple meet - sex - climax - end. There are some that have had actual storylines and capable actors.

I've seen some of those, back when I had a raging inappropriate content collection. The story lines are lame or absolute spoofs of established films, like Alabama Jones and the Busty Crusade and Sex Wars. And in the end, the film follows the basic formula that you described above.

Quote:
True, but how shocking do you consider what Jim Morrison supposedly did at the Key Dinner Theatre in 1968, where he supposedly exposed himself, by today's standards?
"Its only shocking if you're a complete prude. I highly doubt if he'd had done it in Paris he'd have gotten the same reaction."

You don't have to be a complete prude to find certain behaviors objectionable. Public indecency is still a crime in the U.S.

Quote:
His shock value, and the shock value of people like Marilyn Manson, Elvis Presley, Ozzy Osbourne, Christian Aguilera, etc. is not what will keep people coming back to or discovering the music of these artists in the future. It's their talent and the message contained in their music that will do that.
"Its the same with a Morrison or Osbourne or what have you."

I first got into the music of guys like Morrison and Osbourne because someone gave me a tape or a CD, not because they told me a story about their offstage antics.

Quote:
If you think Jim Morrison was into "the limelight" think again.

"I never said he was into the limelight. Just that he knew how to use the press to his gain.

Do you think the leather pants were an accident?"

I can't say with any certainty that they were intentional or accidental. I seem to remember reading that Jim Morrison was the first rock star to wear leather pants. So maybe they were intentional, but as to what his intention with them was, I can't say.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I accidently wore leather pants once.
Heavy Metal is an environmental contaminant.
Its been known to cause big hair & macho posturing.
No serious metal band ever had "big hair". LOL Big hair was the trademark of glam which as Dave Mustaine of Megadeth so succinctly put it stands for Gay L.A. Music LOL

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I accidently wore leather pants once.
Heavy Metal is an environmental contaminant.
Its been known to cause big hair & macho posturing.
Umm no. What is an environmental contaminant is people who can't stand certain types of entertainment because of their so called "moral values". Granted, I used to be against a certain wizard boy (who will go unnamed) and his novels/movies because of my "moral values" but I have changed since then and now take the attitude that if you don't like it then shut the book/turn the channel/hit the off switch.

Upvote 0

Jet_A_Jockey

Jet+Jetslove=2gether4ever :)
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2006
hurricane central
Visit site
✟39,891.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
one example of a song that I do not think is sinful is 'rapture' by the band "hurt". Although if not familiar with it, one might mistake it for an anti-christian song, if you take the time to listen to the lyrics its actually a song against the whole "Jesus told me to do it" excuse that people have used. In specific its about the woman in texas who killed her kids and said Jesus told her to do it.

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Hello, I'm Ernest P. Worrell
Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No serious metal band ever had "big hair". LOL Big hair was the trademark of glam which as Dave Mustaine of Megadeth so succinctly put it stands for Gay L.A. Music LOL
Right.
Big hair was 80's "metal", which wasn't even metal, it was Glamour rock.

And it was TERRIBLE!

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Right.
Big hair was 80's "metal", which wasn't even metal, it was Glamour rock.

And it was TERRIBLE!
Yeah, but it was a guilty pleasure of mine. But I always knew the difference. I'd listen to the hair bands but I always knew the real stuff was guys like Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne. Although Ozzy did have that weird period where his hair was teased and he was running around in sequins. I blame the drugs. LOL

The other thing you should notice is that not one "hair band" is really still having a successful career today. If any of them are still around they're all on reunion tours. While guys like Metallica and Iron Maiden are still releasing CD's, going on tours and selling out all over the world. Take that Britny Fox. LOL

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but it was a guilty pleasure of mine. But I always knew the difference. I'd listen to the hair bands but I always knew the real stuff was guys like Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne. Although Ozzy did have that weird period where his hair was teased and he was running around in sequins. I blame the drugs. LOL

The other thing you should notice is that not one "hair band" is really still having a successful career today. If any of them are still around they're all on reunion tours. While guys like Metallica and Iron Maiden are still releasing CD's, going on tours and selling out all over the world. Take that Britny Fox. LOL
I blame it on the drugs too! :D

I know, I never heard anything of the bands that were in the 80's hair band scene. Some people still like them, but the majority of them were one hit wonders, or only released 2 or 3 cds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peacefulfire

sparks all around me!
Jan 16, 2008
the Planet Earth
Visit site
✟15,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Focus on all the reasons behind even asking the question, first thing. Second, I guess it depends on the repercussions of listening to it. Will it effect your faith, your morals, your Worship? Will it become a barrier between you and God? I think it may depend on the person doing the listening. Just like an atheist who reads the Narnia books isn't suddenly a believer, but some may read the books and take some Christian ideas from it, and incorporate them into their lives and so on.

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Focus on all the reasons behind even asking the question, first thing. Second, I guess it depends on the repercussions of listening to it. Will it effect your faith, your morals, your Worship? Will it become a barrier between you and God? I think it may depend on the person doing the listening. Just like an atheist who reads the Narnia books isn't suddenly a believer, but some may read the books and take some Christian ideas from it, and incorporate them into their lives and so on.
If music lyrics shake your faith, then, in my opinion, you need to read your bible and secure your faith.

Not meant to bash anybody! This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Trashionista
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If music lyrics shake your faith, then, in my opinion, you need to read your bible and secure your faith.

Not meant to bash anybody! This is just my opinion.

I totally agree. If music lyrics shakes your faith then you seriously need to be taking action to better secure your faith because you've got a very weak faith if you let music lyrics shake it.

:cool: Glad to know you like Metallica as well. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see anything wrong with listening to heavy metal music... it's often very good, and has interesting song lyrics :)
I totally agree with you *Starlight*. The Metallica song, "One" is particularly good. Its about a man in a war who gets blown up by a landmine and lives to tell about it. Its pretty much an anti-war song I think.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.