Is it a sin for a Christian to listen to Heavy Metal music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
once upon a time they were considered ultra hard metal... indeed, once upon a time, Queen was considered one of the worst groups for promoting Satanism, followed closely by KISS. Both their music is now being played as "golden oldies"... and I practically guarantee that 25 years from now, the current generation of thrash/death metal and gangsta rap afficianados will be complaining about the music their kids are listening to as being to extreme and out there
I've often thought that these church groups that hate metal could make a killing as advertisers for the groups they hate. I mean come on! Knights In Satan's Service? Metal bands would kill for that kind of ad campaign. LOL

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I've often thought that these church groups that hate metal could make a killing as advertisers for the groups they hate. I mean come on! Knights In Satan's Service? Metal bands would kill for that kind of ad campaign. LOL
Perhaps "making a kiling" is not in their agenda.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Perhaps "making a kiling" is not in their agenda.
Since when has not making a profit not been in the interest of the evangelical church in America? And let's be honest here, the best thing that ever could have happened to the rock and roll business was the PMRC and Tipper Gore. Thanks for the warning labels Tipper!!! You guaranteed that any record, tape or CD that had one of those would be a sale to a disgruntled and angst ridden teenager. LOL The very music she hoped to keep out of their hands with these labels, have become the very records and music they look for at the store.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Since when has not making a profit not been in the interest of the evangelical church in America? And let's be honest here, the best thing that ever could have happened to the rock and roll business was the PMRC and Tipper Gore. Thanks for the warning labels Tipper!!! You guaranteed that any record, tape or CD that had one of those would be a sale to a disgruntled and angst ridden teenager. LOL The very music she hoped to keep out of their hands with these labels, have become the very records and music they look for at the store.
The labels serve a purpose if parents are involved with their children. I don't see how we can stop people from creating vile material or that we necessarily should. However, pushing it on minors is wrong on another level. I wouldn't have my kids living in the public arena today. It's to crazy. Much is at stake. Kids really have to "grow up" too quickly and are exposed too early to many things in our society. It's really a shame.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The labels serve a purpose if parents are involved with their children. I don't see how we can stop people from creating vile material or that we necessarily should. However, pushing it on minors is wrong on another level. I wouldn't have my kids living in the public arena today. It's to crazy. To much at stake. Kids really have to "grow up" to quickly and are exposed to early to many things in our society. It's really a shame.
"The labels serve a purpose if parents are involved with their children. I don't see how we can stop people from creating vile material or that we necessarily should."

I don't think we should stop them, but that's what they originally wanted. They wanted to censor music and creative expression. They had to settle for the labels. What always has bothered me about the labels is that the labels will only protect children who aren't old enough to drive to the record store. Anyone who is 15 or 16 can get themselves to the store, buy the CD and nowadays burn it into an mp3 player and then chuck the disc or just download the music from the net. So the labels I think are going to become an artifact of history and really be irrelevant in the coming future.

"However, pushing it on minors is wrong on another level. I wouldn't have my kids living in the public arena today. It's to crazy. To much at stake. Kids really have to "grow up" to quickly and are exposed to early to many things in our society. It's really a shame."

It is a shame, and look at who's pushing for the kids to grow up really quickly and learn things way too early than they should learn things. The liberals who put the warning lables on records. The same people who said kids need to be protected from sex 20 years ago are now the ones who are saying "kids will have sex, so we just better deal with it."

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think we should stop them, but that's what they originally wanted. They wanted to censor music and creative expression. They had to settle for the labels. What always has bothered me about the labels is that the labels will only protect children who aren't old enough to drive to the record store. Anyone who is 15 or 16 can get themselves to the store, buy the CD and nowadays burn it into an mp3 player and then chuck the disc or just download the music from the net. So the labels I think are going to become an artifact of history and really be irrelevant in the coming future.

A strong family center, love and discipline...is the answer I believe. However, if we let kids be taught by their peers and they fall into the wrong influences, by the time they are teens, it's usually too late for bringing them around without a serious battle.

It is a shame, and look at who's pushing for the kids to grow up really quickly and learn things way too early than they should learn things. The liberals who put the warning lables on records. The same people who said kids need to be protected from sex 20 years ago are now the ones who are saying "kids will have sex, so we just better deal with it."

When I saw schools giving out condoms, at first, I thought it was a spoof. It wasn't of course it was real news. Beyond my comprehension.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

I remember a quote from Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, as he was accepting an award for something...

"And finally, thank you Tipper, for making sure that as long as there are a few four-letter words on the album, it will always sell an extra million copies."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
True enough... but the people who need to listen to your promotion... won't.
Really, I'm talking to myself and to other Christians. Almost all things I oppose are things I myself have had trouble with. I've found that I can abstain from all those things that I was entangled in...or Christ in me can...an amazing reality...for I thought I was going to become a reprobate. Now I realize the answer is simple. Simply trust in God's word and follow the directions, so to speak, and discover that it's true. No intellectualizing is needed...it's true. We can change. It's a process. We can give up things we couldn't imaging giving up for the hold they had on us. We can live holy lives, just as we are called to.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I wouldn't call a particular type of music evil or sinful based on the melody or lack thereof. However, the content or message the music carries is of concern...

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer."

You have to ask yourself "Is the message of the song I'm listening to acceptable to God?"

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Hello, I'm Ernest P. Worrell
Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't call a particular type of music evil or sinful based on the melody or lack thereof. However, the content or message the music carries is of concern...

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer."

You have to ask yourself "Is the message of the song I'm listening to acceptable to God?"
Truthfully though, is anything we do acceptable to God unless we worship him?!

God is perfect, so that means a lot of things that are morally correct could still go against "what God would do", or what God would consider acceptable.

But I do agree with you about the music not sounding elegant and beautiful. And personally, I'd have to say that is thread was probably started on stereotypical grounds.

No offense to the person who created this thread. Actually, I thank you and have given you rep through this whole thread. So please, don't think I'm saying anything negative towards you. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.