Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For more on my thoughts regarding the doctrine of hell, check out this thread:
The doctrine of hell

The book of Enoch even references about "punishment angels" and those are angels specifically created by God to torment people in hell forever. I do not know if this is true or not but it is an interesting concept.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No thank you, please post your reasons on here. Not trying to be a pain but I would like everyone's opinion to be easily seen at one location.

My views - derived from Scripture, not merely my opinion - are easily seen at one location: the one I offered in my link. But, since you can't be bothered to simply click on a link, here's the whole enchilada cut and pasted to this thread (it's going to be rather long which is why I provided a link):

In Defense of the Doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment in Hell.

Increasingly these days I am encountering people who profess to be disciples of Christ - Christians - who deny the doctrine of Hell. More specifically, they deny the teaching of Scripture that the unrepentant wicked will suffer eternal conscious torment in Gehenna (as opposed to Hades or Sheol). The most common arguments against this doctrine are as follows:

1. Eternal conscious torment (ECT) is a monstrous, enormously disproportionate, punishment of human sin. Such a heinous punishment makes God a vicious and deeply cruel Being. Such a God is not revealed in Scripture, so ECT cannot be true. God is love and mercy; He is not a gleeful tormentor of the wicked.

2. If God does punish the wicked in Hell (Gehenna), it is only for a set period of time after which He annihilates them. It is the permanency of annihilation that is the "everlasting punishment," the "Second Death," of which Scripture speaks.

3. Hades is the "holding tank" of the dead; the intermediate place between earthly death and the Final Judgment that contains Abraham's Bosom for the saved person, or a place of fiery torment for the unregenerate wicked. Hades will be destroyed in Gehenna (the Lake of Fire) and with it all the wicked who are contained in it.

4. The Bible uses words like "death," "die," "destroyed," and "perish" to describe the experience of the wicked in Hell. These clearly communicate annihilation, not ECT.

These are the four most common arguments I encounter against the doctrine of ECT in Hell. Here are biblical responses to each:

Argument 1. Of all the arguments that are put forward against ECT in Hell this is the most common. It also seems to be, for those who are proponents of it, the most powerful and obvious argument against ECT in Hell. Well, it is certainly the most emotionally engaging one. This is, I suspect, why it is such a popular argument. It resonates strongly with our emotional, negative gut-response toward the idea of Hell. Who wants to think there is a righteous, just and wrathful God who will punish severely and eternally the evil that we do? No one! It is so much more...comfortable to think of God as a divine Fluffy Bunny whose grace and mercy are greater than our sin. It is gratifying and a relief to think we can sin with impunity because God's love and forgiveness covers it all. Love Wins, people! Our sin is no biggie to God. What view of God could be more pleasant to sinners than this?

But is this a truly biblical view of God? Is this a biblical view of our sin and Hell? No, it isn't. It's not even close.

Why do we need to be saved in the first place? Well, the Bible tells us that "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." (1 Jn. 1:5) This is the way God has always been. Never has darkness had any part or place in Him. There has never been the slightest shadow of darkness in God, not the slightest particle of wickedness in Him. It is, in fact, His utter righteous purity (among other things) that makes Him God.

Deuteronomy 32:3-4
3 For I proclaim the name of the Lord: Ascribe greatness to our God.
He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.

We aren't like God in this regard at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

Jeremiah 17:9
9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

Romans 3:10-12
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."

Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

It is because we are not like God in His holy perfection that we stand under His judgment and wrath. This is why we require salvation. But it is also why it is impossible for us to properly judge the heinousness of our sin. We are born into sin (Ps. 51:5); sin is our daily companion, our often cherished friend; we live among sinners and witness their sin every day; we see sin played out on t.v., in movies, and described in detail in books; we engage in sin we don't even recognize is sin! How, then, can we properly assess what is a proper punishment of our sin? We will always be too lenient in our judgment of our own wickedness, too soft toward the sin in which we are so thoroughly steeped and with which we are so at ease. Sin is our beloved brother and we cannot imagine him the vile, evil fiend God's punishment of him declares him to be.

So, when some think on the terrible punishment of Hell that God says our sin deserves, they wag their finger at God and declare, "No, this is too monstrous! Too severe! Our sin is finite, it is not so great it deserves the torment of Hell! You do evil in judging so harshly!" They only see their sin from their perspective; it can only be as they see it to be. Surely, God is over-reacting to judge sin with eternal torment in Hell. And in their haste to defend their wickedness, sinners impugn God's character. God must be at fault before Man is. What astonishing hubris! What a perfect example of the deep depravity of human wickedness!

If as a child I stole a cookie from my grandmother's cookie jar, the consequences would be commensurate with the crime: my grandmother would scold and perhaps make me do a chore. If I were to steal a bag of chips from the local grocery store, the theft being more serious, I might be arrested and charged with a misdemeanour. If I robbed a bank with a weapon and was caught, the robbery being very serious indeed, I could expect to be arrested, tried in court, and sentenced to prison for several years. In each instance of theft, the seriousness of the theft is revealed, in part, by the consequences, the punishment, enacted upon it. If, then, the punishment of my sin warrants eternal, conscious torment in Hell, my sin must be far, far more heinous than I'm inclined as a sinner to think it is!

Also, the notion that human sin is finite in scope ignores who our sin is always ultimately against: God Himself (Ps. 51:3, 4). There is no such thing as a finite sin when all sin is against an infinite God.

Not only is the protest sinners make against the severity of God's punishment of their sin an indication of how blind sinners are to the true awfulness of their sin, but it also exposes a low view of God's holiness. If we better understood His incredible purity and uprightness, as our forebears seem to do, we would not be so quick to rail against God's punishment of our sin. You see, the better we understand God's holiness, the better we understand our own moral impurity. And the better we see ourselves (by seeing God more clearly), the less inordinate God's severe but just and holy judgment of our sin seems.

Isaiah 6:5
5 So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The Lord of hosts."

Job 42:5-6
5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You.
6 Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes."

Romans 7:18
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

Argument 2. God may judge the wicked with eternal conscious torment - but only for a finite time. Eventually, He will annihilate the wicked. Only the saved possess immortal life.

This is a more subtle argument against the biblical doctrine of ECT in Hell. It doesn't try to do the impossible and deny entirely the plain biblical descriptions of the punishment of the wicked in Hell. It simply suggests the punishment is temporary, ending finally in annihilation. There are some obvious issues with this thinking:

- The Bible indicates that there will be degrees of punishment on Judgment Day (Matt 10:15; 11:21-24; 16:27; Lu. 12:47, 48; Jn. 15:22; Heb. 10:29; Rev. 20:11-15; 22:12). What would be the point of this if the ultimate end of all the wicked is the same: annihilation? This would be like punishing a thief with five lashes and a murderer with a thousand and then hanging them both!

- Annihilation escapes or ends punishment. One cannot be punished when one does not exist. Punishment requires consciousness. A tree, or rock, or broom handle cannot be punished. The torment that is the punishment of Hell, by definition, must be conscious torment. Annihilation, however, ends consciousness and thus ends punishment. Scripture, though, is clear that the punishment of Hell does not end but is eternal:

Matthew 25:46
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
"

Christ here offers a parallelism to his audience, a common device in Jewish philosophy and literature. He parallels the eternal life of the righteous with the everlasting punishment of the wicked. Implicit in the parallel is that the duration of the everlasting punishment of the wicked is as enduring as the eternal life of the righteous. Just as there will never be an end to the eternal life of the righteous, there will never be an end to the everlasting punishment of the wicked.

Argument 3. Hades will be destroyed in Gehenna (the Lake of Fire) and with it all the wicked who are contained in it.

This idea rests upon the following passage:

Revelation 20:14-15
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

It is assumed that the "second death" means utter destruction or annihilation. Some argue that "death," by definition, means "annihilation." But is this so? Obviously, if the first death we endure is annihilation, then we can suffer no second death. The Scripture above is very clear, however, that the unrepentant wicked whose names are not found in the Book of Life are cast into Gehenna to suffer a second death. It is evident, therefore, that death does not mean annihilation; for if it did, the first death would preclude the second.

Argument 4. The Bible uses words like "death," "die," "destroyed," and "perish" to describe the experience of the wicked in Hell. These clearly communicate annihilation, not ECT.

It is a favorite tactic of those arguing for annihilation to restrict these terms to just one meaning: annihilation. Sometimes, they use the following verse in support of their contention that annihilation is intended when the Bible speaks of God's punishment of the wicked:

2 Thessalonians 1:9
9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Consider the following quotation from Ron Rhodes in his book "Reasoning From the Scriptures with Jehovah's Witnesses":

The Greek word translated "destruction" in this verse is olethros,
and carries the meaning "sudden ruin", or "loss of all that gives worth
to existence." New Testament scholar Robert L. Thomas says that
olethros "does not refer to annihilation...but rather turns on the thought of
separation from God and loss of everything worthwhile in life..."
(pg. 334)

The eminent Bible scholar W.E. Vine says of apollumi a Greek word often rendered as "destroy" in Scripture:

"The idea is not extinction but ruin, loss, not of being but of well-being."

The Bible scholar Adam Clarke comments on 2 Thessalonians 1:9:

"What this everlasting destruction consists in we cannot tell. It is not annihilation,
for their being continues; and as the destruction is everlasting, it is an eternal
continuance and presence of substantial evil, and absence of all good..."

Of the same verse the Jamieson, Fawcett and Brown Bible Commentary notes:

"Cast out from the presence of the Lord is the idea at the root of eternal death,
the law of evil left to its unrestricted working, without one counteracting influence
of the presence of God, who is the source of all light and holiness (Isa 66:24 Mr 9:44)."

Many Bible scholars besides the ones cited above agree that "destruction" does not mean annihilation, particularly in 2 Thessalonians 1:9. Of words like "perish," or "destroy," or "death," we find also in Scripture a range of meaning. Arguing, then, from a single narrow annihilationist definition of these words handles the word of God very poorly and produces a correspondingly poor understanding of its meaning.

I am the first to admit the doctrine of eternal, conscious torment in Hell is a bitter, frightening subject. I take no joy in defending it. That I must do so is a testament to how far and how easily the western evangelical Christian community is, in its intellectually and theologically juvenilized state, drifting into false teaching. Gone are the days when the average Christian knew their Bible and doctrines sufficiently to counter the sorts of falsehoods I have delineated and rebutted in this blog post. It will not be long, I think, if this drift continues, before the western evangelical Church abandons other basic doctrines of the faith and grows increasingly and inevitably apostate.

2 Timothy 4:2-4
2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Do you have any evidence that this is a place of never ending torment?

Mark 9:42-48

Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, “where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.”

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mark 9:42-48

Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, “where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.”

Well firstly, I've seen a lot of fires that weren't quenched, they just ran out of fuel, and secondly, the word "Hell" in this verse, is actually Gehenna. Gehenna is a rubbish dump. Why call say Gehenna, rather than Hell, if Hell is actually a real place, and that's what he was talking about here?

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well firstly, I've seen a lot of fires that weren't quenched, they just ran out of fuel, and secondly, the word "Hell" in this verse, is actually Gehenna. Gehenna is a rubbish dump. Why call say Gehenna, rather than Hell, if Hell is actually a real place, and that's what he was talking about here?

Jesus uses the term Gehenna as a metaphor and everyone knew that Jesus was talking about a literal place. Gehenna no longer exists so are you telling me that God is going throw people into a place that no longer exists? No, he is using this place as a metaphor for another literal place. The worms that never die is another clear indication that these are people suffering forever without dying.

I am using another verse in the risk that I might anger you for using "too many".

Revelation 14:9-11

If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus uses the term Gehenna as a metaphor and everyone knew that Jesus was talking about a literal place. Gehenna no longer exists so are you telling me that God is going throw people into a place that no longer exists? No, he is using this place as a metaphor for another literal place. The worms that never die is another clear indication that these are people suffering forever without dying.

Jesus uses Gehenna as a metaphor, period! It is not a place. You have to assume that the Lake of Fire is a place, to assume that he is using it as a metaphor for another place. He is not using it for a metaphor for another place, because he is just using it for a metaphor for what happens to the wicked. He also never says that it is something that happens after physical death. That is a huge assumption made on your part.

Also, you also have these problems to address.

Mat 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
Mat 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

So if the Gehenna verse is a parable, then how is just merely repeating it, going to explain it. For example: How is taking what he says about the worms dying not, a metaphor? If it means what you say it means, then it would just be a statement of fact, but it's not, it's parable.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus uses Gehenna as a metaphor, period! It is not a place. You have to assume that the Lake of Fire is a place, to assume that he is using it as a metaphor for another place. He is not using it for a metaphor for another place, because he is just using it for a metaphor for what happens to the wicked. He also never says that it is something that happens after physical death. That is a huge assumption made on your part.

Also, you also have these problems to address.

Mat 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
Mat 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

So if the Gehenna verse is a parable, then how is just merely repeating it, going to explain it. For example: How is taking what he says about the worms dying not, a metaphor? If it means what you say it means, then it would just be a statement of fact, but it's not, it's parable.

It's clear that you're in denial.

"the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night"

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's clear that you're in denial.

"the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night"

Rev 14:11 and the smoke of their torment doth go up to ages of ages; and they have no rest day and night, who are bowing before the beast and his image, also if any doth receive the mark of his name.

Oh, what happened to "forever and ever" here? It's funny the difference a translation makes. Technically, no rest day and night, could be 2 days. It isn't, because I know what it means, but it could mean that. It's an indefinite period of time. You know how I know? Because Christ says so.

Luk 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Notice that the slothful servant is appointed his portion with the unbelievers, the same unbelievers who find themselves in the Lake of Fire. How then, are there varying amounts of stripes administered, if the Lake of Fire is what you say it is?

I'm not in denial, but you sure sound you want people to be burning in agony for all eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My views - derived from Scripture, not merely my opinion - are easily seen at one location: the one I offered in my link. But, since you can't be bothered to simply click on a link, here's the whole enchilada cut and pasted to this thread (it's going to be rather long which is why I provided a link):

In Defense of the Doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment in Hell.

Increasingly these days I am encountering people who profess to be disciples of Christ - Christians - who deny the doctrine of Hell. More specifically, they deny the teaching of Scripture that the unrepentant wicked will suffer eternal conscious torment in Gehenna (as opposed to Hades or Sheol). The most common arguments against this doctrine are as follows:

1. Eternal conscious torment (ECT) is a monstrous, enormously disproportionate, punishment of human sin. Such a heinous punishment makes God a vicious and deeply cruel Being. Such a God is not revealed in Scripture, so ECT cannot be true. God is love and mercy; He is not a gleeful tormentor of the wicked.

2. If God does punish the wicked in Hell (Gehenna), it is only for a set period of time after which He annihilates them. It is the permanency of annihilation that is the "everlasting punishment," the "Second Death," of which Scripture speaks.

3. Hades is the "holding tank" of the dead; the intermediate place between earthly death and the Final Judgment that contains Abraham's Bosom for the saved person, or a place of fiery torment for the unregenerate wicked. Hades will be destroyed in Gehenna (the Lake of Fire) and with it all the wicked who are contained in it.

4. The Bible uses words like "death," "die," "destroyed," and "perish" to describe the experience of the wicked in Hell. These clearly communicate annihilation, not ECT.

These are the four most common arguments I encounter against the doctrine of ECT in Hell. Here are biblical responses to each:

Argument 1. Of all the arguments that are put forward against ECT in Hell this is the most common. It also seems to be, for those who are proponents of it, the most powerful and obvious argument against ECT in Hell. Well, it is certainly the most emotionally engaging one. This is, I suspect, why it is such a popular argument. It resonates strongly with our emotional, negative gut-response toward the idea of Hell. Who wants to think there is a righteous, just and wrathful God who will punish severely and eternally the evil that we do? No one! It is so much more...comfortable to think of God as a divine Fluffy Bunny whose grace and mercy are greater than our sin. It is gratifying and a relief to think we can sin with impunity because God's love and forgiveness covers it all. Love Wins, people! Our sin is no biggie to God. What view of God could be more pleasant to sinners than this?

But is this a truly biblical view of God? Is this a biblical view of our sin and Hell? No, it isn't. It's not even close.

Why do we need to be saved in the first place? Well, the Bible tells us that "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." (1 Jn. 1:5) This is the way God has always been. Never has darkness had any part or place in Him. There has never been the slightest shadow of darkness in God, not the slightest particle of wickedness in Him. It is, in fact, His utter righteous purity (among other things) that makes Him God.

Deuteronomy 32:3-4
3 For I proclaim the name of the Lord: Ascribe greatness to our God.
He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.

We aren't like God in this regard at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

Jeremiah 17:9
9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

Romans 3:10-12
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."

Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

It is because we are not like God in His holy perfection that we stand under His judgment and wrath. This is why we require salvation. But it is also why it is impossible for us to properly judge the heinousness of our sin. We are born into sin (Ps. 51:5); sin is our daily companion, our often cherished friend; we live among sinners and witness their sin every day; we see sin played out on t.v., in movies, and described in detail in books; we engage in sin we don't even recognize is sin! How, then, can we properly assess what is a proper punishment of our sin? We will always be too lenient in our judgment of our own wickedness, too soft toward the sin in which we are so thoroughly steeped and with which we are so at ease. Sin is our beloved brother and we cannot imagine him the vile, evil fiend God's punishment of him declares him to be.

So, when some think on the terrible punishment of Hell that God says our sin deserves, they wag their finger at God and declare, "No, this is too monstrous! Too severe! Our sin is finite, it is not so great it deserves the torment of Hell! You do evil in judging so harshly!" They only see their sin from their perspective; it can only be as they see it to be. Surely, God is over-reacting to judge sin with eternal torment in Hell. And in their haste to defend their wickedness, sinners impugn God's character. God must be at fault before Man is. What astonishing hubris! What a perfect example of the deep depravity of human wickedness!

If as a child I stole a cookie from my grandmother's cookie jar, the consequences would be commensurate with the crime: my grandmother would scold and perhaps make me do a chore. If I were to steal a bag of chips from the local grocery store, the theft being more serious, I might be arrested and charged with a misdemeanour. If I robbed a bank with a weapon and was caught, the robbery being very serious indeed, I could expect to be arrested, tried in court, and sentenced to prison for several years. In each instance of theft, the seriousness of the theft is revealed, in part, by the consequences, the punishment, enacted upon it. If, then, the punishment of my sin warrants eternal, conscious torment in Hell, my sin must be far, far more heinous than I'm inclined as a sinner to think it is!

Also, the notion that human sin is finite in scope ignores who our sin is always ultimately against: God Himself (Ps. 51:3, 4). There is no such thing as a finite sin when all sin is against an infinite God.

Not only is the protest sinners make against the severity of God's punishment of their sin an indication of how blind sinners are to the true awfulness of their sin, but it also exposes a low view of God's holiness. If we better understood His incredible purity and uprightness, as our forebears seem to do, we would not be so quick to rail against God's punishment of our sin. You see, the better we understand God's holiness, the better we understand our own moral impurity. And the better we see ourselves (by seeing God more clearly), the less inordinate God's severe but just and holy judgment of our sin seems.

Isaiah 6:5
5 So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The Lord of hosts."

Job 42:5-6
5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You.
6 Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes."

Romans 7:18
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

Argument 2. God may judge the wicked with eternal conscious torment - but only for a finite time. Eventually, He will annihilate the wicked. Only the saved possess immortal life.

This is a more subtle argument against the biblical doctrine of ECT in Hell. It doesn't try to do the impossible and deny entirely the plain biblical descriptions of the punishment of the wicked in Hell. It simply suggests the punishment is temporary, ending finally in annihilation. There are some obvious issues with this thinking:

- The Bible indicates that there will be degrees of punishment on Judgment Day (Matt 10:15; 11:21-24; 16:27; Lu. 12:47, 48; Jn. 15:22; Heb. 10:29; Rev. 20:11-15; 22:12). What would be the point of this if the ultimate end of all the wicked is the same: annihilation? This would be like punishing a thief with five lashes and a murderer with a thousand and then hanging them both!

- Annihilation escapes or ends punishment. One cannot be punished when one does not exist. Punishment requires consciousness. A tree, or rock, or broom handle cannot be punished. The torment that is the punishment of Hell, by definition, must be conscious torment. Annihilation, however, ends consciousness and thus ends punishment. Scripture, though, is clear that the punishment of Hell does not end but is eternal:

Matthew 25:46
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
"

Christ here offers a parallelism to his audience, a common device in Jewish philosophy and literature. He parallels the eternal life of the righteous with the everlasting punishment of the wicked. Implicit in the parallel is that the duration of the everlasting punishment of the wicked is as enduring as the eternal life of the righteous. Just as there will never be an end to the eternal life of the righteous, there will never be an end to the everlasting punishment of the wicked.

Argument 3. Hades will be destroyed in Gehenna (the Lake of Fire) and with it all the wicked who are contained in it.

This idea rests upon the following passage:

Revelation 20:14-15
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

It is assumed that the "second death" means utter destruction or annihilation. Some argue that "death," by definition, means "annihilation." But is this so? Obviously, if the first death we endure is annihilation, then we can suffer no second death. The Scripture above is very clear, however, that the unrepentant wicked whose names are not found in the Book of Life are cast into Gehenna to suffer a second death. It is evident, therefore, that death does not mean annihilation; for if it did, the first death would preclude the second.

Argument 4. The Bible uses words like "death," "die," "destroyed," and "perish" to describe the experience of the wicked in Hell. These clearly communicate annihilation, not ECT.

It is a favorite tactic of those arguing for annihilation to restrict these terms to just one meaning: annihilation. Sometimes, they use the following verse in support of their contention that annihilation is intended when the Bible speaks of God's punishment of the wicked:

2 Thessalonians 1:9
9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Consider the following quotation from Ron Rhodes in his book "Reasoning From the Scriptures with Jehovah's Witnesses":

The Greek word translated "destruction" in this verse is olethros,
and carries the meaning "sudden ruin", or "loss of all that gives worth
to existence." New Testament scholar Robert L. Thomas says that
olethros "does not refer to annihilation...but rather turns on the thought of
separation from God and loss of everything worthwhile in life..."
(pg. 334)

The eminent Bible scholar W.E. Vine says of apollumi a Greek word often rendered as "destroy" in Scripture:

"The idea is not extinction but ruin, loss, not of being but of well-being."

The Bible scholar Adam Clarke comments on 2 Thessalonians 1:9:

"What this everlasting destruction consists in we cannot tell. It is not annihilation,
for their being continues; and as the destruction is everlasting, it is an eternal
continuance and presence of substantial evil, and absence of all good..."

Of the same verse the Jamieson, Fawcett and Brown Bible Commentary notes:

"Cast out from the presence of the Lord is the idea at the root of eternal death,
the law of evil left to its unrestricted working, without one counteracting influence
of the presence of God, who is the source of all light and holiness (Isa 66:24 Mr 9:44)."

Many Bible scholars besides the ones cited above agree that "destruction" does not mean annihilation, particularly in 2 Thessalonians 1:9. Of words like "perish," or "destroy," or "death," we find also in Scripture a range of meaning. Arguing, then, from a single narrow annihilationist definition of these words handles the word of God very poorly and produces a correspondingly poor understanding of its meaning.

I am the first to admit the doctrine of eternal, conscious torment in Hell is a bitter, frightening subject. I take no joy in defending it. That I must do so is a testament to how far and how easily the western evangelical Christian community is, in its intellectually and theologically juvenilized state, drifting into false teaching. Gone are the days when the average Christian knew their Bible and doctrines sufficiently to counter the sorts of falsehoods I have delineated and rebutted in this blog post. It will not be long, I think, if this drift continues, before the western evangelical Church abandons other basic doctrines of the faith and grows increasingly and inevitably apostate.

2 Timothy 4:2-4
2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

There are two basic problems with eternal conscious torment.
1. Giving eternal existance to beings who are disfunctional failed beings who will benefit
nothing from punishment and the punishment is for the benefit of justice. How is justice met if one commits an act, stealing something, in time, to be punished by eternal pain and suffering?
Gods punishment for face to face rebellion is death, wiping people out not torture. Korahs rebellion, the ground swallowed them up. If you lose everything, your existance, what else is there to lose. Justice is suffering to the same degree one caused suffering in this world.
2. Gods foundation is love, consistency, faithfulness, reality. Torment and eternal punishment is reserved for eternal beings as satan and the rebellious angels. Those who accept the mark of the beast are also given this doom.

One has to get real. In our lives torment is having something small that gives pain that takes away our ability to sleep or function. People live with this kind of problem all the time which we have strong pain killers to resolve.

The more we discover about life and what is good social interaction, it is emotional and development trauma and problems that cause most of the issues. Nervous breakdowns remind me of the sermon on the mount and people building their houses upon sand.

So for me the true torment is living life without God here on earth, slowly slipping into a meaningless existence and set of contradictions as we fall apart.

The concept of hell plays to those who desire domination and the crushing of others. God rules and does not impose His rule on a rebellious household. The household is removed if it will not chose to submit. The emphasis is always on God and who He is, not on the rebellious and their rebellion, as if this is worthy of eternal torture and setting an example. On a pure numbers game, more will be destroyed than be with the Lord. But they are but chaff, here one day, gone the next, not worthy of consideration once judgement has fallen.

• Agree
Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A simple point.
But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. Rev 19:20

Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
Rev 20:14

A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand,
he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.
And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name.
Rev 14:9-11

The punishment for those who follow the beast is terrible. Not only will they be thrown into the lake of fire they will not be destroyed, but tormented eternally.

Now if this is the fate of all not written in the Lambs book of life, there is no point emphasising the torment as if this is special just for these people, unless it is actually special for these people.

The second death is just that, eternal destruction of the soul. But for some reason this is not enough for some, but for me, I desire to know Christ and eternal love and life flowing through me. But maybe the problem is not actually with hell but the life these believers who picture this are living in Christ today. For some being a christian is just suffering and a lack of things, asthetic torture, and they envision this is Gods way.

I am driven by scripture and the Lords leading. Hell envisions by Dante is weird and very distorted. One sign of its weirdness, is demons torturing people where scripture says the torture is given in the very presence of the Holy Angels and the Lamb. A very different picture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
End times prophecy

Hell and its power are often used by groups to say, "I know we are not that different from normal society, but join us because you are then safe against the horrendous tormenting eternity."

Jesus calls us to be a Light on a Hill, shinning good works and love to the community.
It is our love that is our testimony, our interaction and our life.

The sad truth is it is easier to play up judgement, guilt and doom, than healing resolution
and love. It is much harder to resolve the darkness and hurt and bitterness within than
blame the horrible evil world for what it has driven us to do.

In the 1970's I was shaken by how few feared their future by adding to scripture and the
prophesies, as if this was the way to bring people to Christ and walking in His ways.

Talking about Hell and judgement is dangerous stuff, but also not being honest about
what is written and why is also not a good idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP is talking about a Furnace of fire, when he refers to hell......People are literally thrown in there and then cry and grind their teeth, once there.

In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth......It is written....therefore one can use this to say that it is real and exist because we know that it was created and when. I'm asking if you have the same or similar reference to the creation of this furnace.

I'm asking, do you know where the exact physical place that we call the heaven that God lives in, is? Does that "place" still exist? Can you see angels and demons? Do they still exist somewhere or did they get miraculously lifted out when Jesus (who cast many out as if they werereal, though couldn't be seen) was lifted up into heaven? Can you see God on His Throne? Certainly if there is a Throne it must be a real physical place that we can see right now, using your logic, right? What John saw in His vision certainly looked like a real physical place. Why can't we see it now? Jesus painted a picture in Luke 16 of the rich man, Lazarus and Abraham. Was that just a convenient story used to teach or was he speaking about a place that really existed? When Jesus recommended someone cutting off or gouging out body parts, rather than "going to Gehenna:into the fire that never shall be quenched" (Mar 9:43, for example) Was He just using a vivid imagination to scare people into cutting off body parts? When Jesus referred to the sheep and the goats--neither of which realized they were doing something to/for Jesus, He spoke of the sheep going to everlasting life and the goats "going away into everlasting punishment." (Matt 25:46) Where is that? Where is the New Jerusalem and this new heaven and new earth? You certainly can't see it now. Does that mean it doesn't exist? How about the pit where satan will be held? Do you know where that is? Does that mean it doesn't exist? How about the lake of fire that more than one person is going to be cast into--as if it was a collection point for those not written in the Lamb's book of life, not just a personal nightmare inflicted in one's mind only for those who believe in it? I would argue most people who go to Gehenna don't think it exists. They are calling God a liar. And, when they find out that they are the ones who believed a lie (about Gehenna not being real), there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth from those who go there, just like Jesus shared in the story of the rich man and Lazarus and many other places in His short time here.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jas 2:13

For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

============
God will only have mercy on those that love Him.

I love this, but at first it sounds selfish, "I only have mercy on those who like me."

When in essence it is God will have mercy on those who walk in love, it becomes different. We are not called to worship God because He is God, but because He is life, the ultimate example of the best of everything, perfect and wonderful in all He does.

Why would anyone who desires to love not listen and follow Jesus?
There is a tautology here.

For me this is the essence of Gods way. You do not have to worship me because of my status, but because of what I am in essence and what that means as it is reflected in everything.
And as followers we need to discover this reality, so our hearts truly sing "Abba Father, Lord of all, worthy of all the praise that is due", Amen

In a sense I see putting Jesus beside the beast burning in Hell, is the two sides of the coin, love, holiness and perfection alongside, evil, selfish domination and ambition that destroys all it touches. The rejection of one and seeing the other shows how glorious and wonderful is out King.

Upvote 0