Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have noticed something, which is that people never change their opinions and they are usually hopelessly deadlocked in a futile debate that never changes anyone's opinion. So my question is this, is debate futile?

I've more recently come to the conclusion that it is.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree. It just seems futile.

It many times is, because as you said in the OP, people get "locked in" and there is really no real "communication" any longer....only the idea and goal of winning the debate.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only to those stuck in their ways and can't admit the truth. For those who're open to the truth it's helpful for them. Ultimately I think it's purpose is getting to the truth, then let others believe it or not.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Only to those stuck in their ways and can't admit the truth. For those who're open to the truth it's helpful for them. Ultimately I think it's purpose is getting to the truth, then let others believe it or not.

When you say "truth", are you referring to God's Word?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I can't remember the last time I believed something because someone said it is so. I'm probably harder-headed than most, but I need to know, as in my heart, or I cannot trust. I was the same way regarding the deity of Christ, even after I put my trust in Him. I eventually put it on the altar and faithfully waited on God's timing to reveal what I needed to know. About 9 months later, He did, and now my position is not subject to the arguments of man, one way or the other.

The same was true of the Catholic/Christian debates. They go on and on, and I find them sickening. I have my own revelations into and conclusions on the matter, and I don't care if they don't fit in conveniently with this or that group.

Unfortunately, I have found that 99% of all debate is useless or worse ("to the ruin of the hearers"). I have been online since before the Internet went public. It was the same BS in the old CompuServ forums - Christians acting like anything else but to each other. A true scandal. The miracle would be if anyone actually came to Christ, in the face of all that misrepresentation.

I don't find the present situation a whole lot better, except that the moderation is tighter. Like kindergartners, we have to have moderation, lest we tear each other to pieces. Wonderful witness.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed something, which is that people never change their opinions and they are usually hopelessly deadlocked in a futile debate that never changes anyone's opinion. So my question is this, is debate futile?

If the aim is to change the mind of someone who has longstanding and strongly held views - possibly.
If the aim is to put another point of view, explain why you think a thread may be wrong and give forummers, and lurkers, something to think about - possibly not.

For me, if nothing else, I may look up Scriptures and think about why it is that I hold the view I hold. Very often, though, I find my views reinforced by the debate and Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We should keep our minds open. If we truly seek the truth then God will show us the truth. Keeping an open mind will not destroy Gods truth.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't remember the last time I believed something because someone said it is so. I'm probably harder-headed than most, but I need to know, as in my heart, or I cannot trust. I was the same way regarding the deity of Christ, even after I put my trust in Him. I eventually put it on the altar and faithfully waited on God's timing to reveal what I needed to know. About 9 months later, He did, and now my position is not subject to the arguments of man, one way or the other.

The same was true of the Catholic/Christian debates. They go on and on, and I find them sickening. I have my own revelations into and conclusions on the matter, and I don't care if they don't fit in conveniently with this or that group.

Unfortunately, I have found that 99% of all debate is useless or worse ("to the ruin of the hearers"). I have been online since before the Internet went public. It was the same BS in the old CompuServ forums - Christians acting like anything else but to each other. A true scandal. The miracle would be if anyone actually came to Christ, in the face of all that misrepresentation.

I don't find the present situation a whole lot better, except that the moderation is tighter. Like kindergartners, we have to have moderation, lest we tear each other to pieces. Wonderful witness.
Good Post, thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If the aim is to change the mind of someone who has longstanding and strongly held views - possibly.
If the aim is to put another point of view, explain why you think a thread may be wrong and give forummers, and lurkers, something to think about - possibly not.

For me, if nothing else, I may look up Scriptures and think about why it is that I hold the view I hold. Very often, though, I find my views reinforced by the debate and Scripture.
Ok, that sounds reasonable. However, is debate sometimes futile? Sure i bet you agree. We should be aware when something is futile and not keep debating it.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It depends on what your objective is.

If you discuss things with people to persuade them, you might be in for disappointment.

If you discuss them in order to understand their views, odds are you'll be more successful. And if you discuss your own views with an eye toward communicating what you believe, you'll probably never fail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

If you discuss things with people to persuade them, you might in for disappointment.

If you discuss them in order to understand their views, odds are you'll be more successful. And if you discuss your own views with an eye toward communicating what you believe, you'll probably never fail.

I agree. I have found, sometimes with myself, that it is hard to do

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, that sounds reasonable. However, is debate sometimes futile? Sure i bet you agree. We should be aware when something is futile and not keep debating it.

Sometimes.
Especially if we don't know who, if anyone, is following the debate, and both sides are getting angry/passionate about their p.o.v, to the point of calling the other names. Certainly if I try to explain my point over and over again, and only receive an argument which doesn't address my points or quote Scriptures, I am very likely to think "this is hopeless" and give up.
Whether or not it truly has been futile, whether seeds of doubt have been sown that will one day take root or whether I am actually changed, or challenged, by the debate - maybe only time will tell.

But I have even left these forums before now, for a while, because I feel that I have better things to do with my time than debate someone who doesn't actually want debate.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If you discuss things with people to persuade them, you might in for disappointment.

Yes but there are many people involved in these debates. So it depends on many people, not just us.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes but there are many people involved in these debates. So it depends on many people, not just us.
I can't control what other people do or think. And wouldn't even if I could. All I can do is explain what I believe and why I believe it while attempting to understand why they believe what they believe.

Unity of any kind probably won't be won or lost based on anything said on CF so there's nothing wrong with dialogue with each other.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you say "truth", are you referring to God's Word?

When I said truth I meant truth, but specifically to theology I'll say it's what's shown/proven to be God's word/will; the meaning and purpose behind it all.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't control what other people do or think. And wouldn't even if I could. All I can do is explain what I believe and why I believe it while attempting to understand why they believe what they believe.

Unity of any kind probably won't be won or lost based on anything said on CF so there's nothing wrong with dialogue with each other.
Its not a matter of controlling others, but is a matter of discerning when something becomes futile.

• Agree
Reactions: Missgrundy
Upvote 0