Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Science in numerous ways shows that certain literal Bible
interpretations simply are not consistent with any relevant data.
That is true. Science will show that certain interpretations of the Bible are false. A rather clear example that even most creationists agree with is that the Earth is not Flat and has been demonstrated to be a sphere by science. Flat Earthers are quite often Christians that base their beliefs at least partially on their interpretation of the Bible. What YEC's do not realize is that there really is almost no difference between them and Flat Earthers. It is just a matter of degree of reality denial

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What YEC's do not realize is that there really is almost no difference between them and Flat Earthers. It is just a matter of degree of reality denial
On the other hand, are those who scoff at flat earthers and those who scoff at Jesus' resurrection from the dead separated by just a matter of degrees as well?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
On the other hand, are those who scoff at flat earthers and those who scoff at Jesus' resurrection from the dead separated by just a matter of degrees as well?
Perhaps. Though the two groups that you mentioned seem to be right.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Edgar a creationist wrote at Peaceful Science

"Creationism is actually science. By now, empirical science has made it perfectly obvious that viable life is so functionally complex that it could not possibly have happened by chance.
In effect, Abiogenesis-by-Chance has officially been declared a superstition - not to mention, an insult to human intelligence.

Faced with the scientific impossibility of chance, the only rational - and therefore, scientific - explanation for the origin of life is design, or more specifically, divine creation. Voila! … Creation is science. Get used to it."​
The 'Argument from Incredulity' is a fallacy.

'Nuff said.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
How can it be self-correcting, when it replaces one wrong answer with another wrong answer?
Typically, it refines its answers. When it replaces them it replaces one explanation with a better one, where 'better' is well-defined.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Yup ... and in came all sorts of new cooties.
The real world comes with cooties... and you're no exception; roughly half of the cells you carry around are non-human, and you're home to lots of interesting creatures, including the mites that emerge from your eyelash follicles at night and trek across the expanses of your face to find food ;)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Yup ... and in came all sorts of new cooties.
The real world comes with cooties... and you're no exception; roughly half of the cells you carry around are non-human, and you're home to lots of interesting creatures, including the mites that emerge from your eyelash follicles at night and trek across the expanses of your face to find food ;)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
... The science today got so deeply into the fabric of creation that they can see and experimentally test the nature in a state that is not determined by any macro-world natural rules.
The 'macro-world natural rules' are emergent from the more fundamental natural rules that are used where macro-world rules are not applicable. Those rules are not supernatural.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
I totally disagree with that. I'm not going to push this any further other than to say that in the world I live in Consciousness is very much an aspect of what constitutes life itself. And I'd even go a huge step beyond that and say that it's consciousness that's evolving into different life forms. But that's not for this thread.
You appear to have a very different meaning of consciousness from the general scientific one.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Supernatural simply means "from the world our nature exists in". Supersystem of our subsystem.
What dictionary are you using?

Mine says, "not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material" and most of the others say something very similar.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
"Super" means "above". In system sciences, its a standard term describing some higher system that contains some subsystems.

For example, 3D is a supersystem of 2D. Or if there are up to 11 dimension as the string theory suggests, its a supersystem (superreality) to our reality. A being living in a higher dimension would be a supernatural being to us, if we regard our reality as "natural".
Etymology is useful for guessing the meaning of unfamiliar words or the original meaning of words, but the meaning and usage of words changes over time. Equivocating tends to hinder communication.

• Agree
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟723,684.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
You appear to have a very different meaning of consciousness from the general scientific one.
I admit to having a mystics perspective of consciousness as well as with life. I also know that non-dual way of knowing doesn't fly here very well in this forum. But I like to offer that perspective every once in a while anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
I admit to having a mystics perspective of consciousness as well as with life. I also know that non-dual way of knowing doesn't fly here very well in this forum. But I like to offer that perspective every once in a while anyway.
As you suggested, it might be worth another thread...

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:sick:

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,425.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is true. Science will show that certain interpretations of the Bible are false. A rather clear example that even most creationists agree with is that the Earth is not Flat and has been demonstrated to be a sphere by science. Flat Earthers are quite often Christians that base their beliefs at least partially on their interpretation of the Bible. What YEC's do not realize is that there really is almost no difference between them and Flat Earthers. It is just a matter of degree of reality denial

If the Bible unambiguously said its flat then what

Upvote 0