Is baptism necessary to be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

western kentucky

Archangel,

you said, "Besides, are you trying to say that you have never sought man more so than God???????? Your point is invalid."

My response: HUH? My point is that "faith alone" does not save us. Faith is a necessity, but "faith alone" will not save us until we act on it. I don't know what your saying.

In reference to Mark 16:16 you said, " baptism is also needed for slavation it would say: If a man does not believe [nor is baptized] he will be condemed, but that isn't what it says, does it?

My response: Think long and hard about what you just said. If a man dosen't believe, is he going to be baptized? The first part of the verse states, "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved;" First you have to believe! Correct? If you don't believe (faith is a necessity), then why would you act on it in baptism.

You said, ""He is faithfull even when we are faithless."

My response: Harmonize this with Matt. 7:21-22.

Western Kentucky

Upvote 0

evangelist

Sep 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟905.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism is a work is this true?

We are saved by grace , and if baptism is a work then this work will cancel out grace is this true??

If we believe and fall in Love with Christ then after we will want to do what ever pleases Christ, and that includ, bible study, going to church , and you will want to pray, and love to trust God, and His Word, and help the poor and homeless, and in your christian walk get baptized as a step as following jesus and showing that you are buried in Christ.

God Bless

God Bless

Upvote 0
F

Florida College

xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
... We discussed this earlier as well (before you started posting).

It's not a matter of just simply... well ok, this verses says this abut this says this, so lets even them out.

NO!

Its about the context that each verse has FIRST, which i have stated in EVERYONE OF YOUR VERSES, then you harmonize it, and infact, it is even more harmonized when you look at it the way each verse(s) is supossed to be looked at.

First: the scriptures are not MY verses. I did not give them. They are inspired of God - - or God breathed (2 Tim.3:16). The scriptures are God’s. Any problems that you have with the scriptures will have to taken up with God.

In essence, you are saying that every verse that I have used has been taken out of context and made to not harmonize correctly with the scriptures. If that is the case, then reject the teaching. Truth is the goal. Just remember though, you are the one that said you would not accept the teaching of James 2:24. So, what do you do with James 2:14-26. Do you mark it out with a permanent marker? Do you literally cut the passage out of your bible? Let me offer a better alternative: why not be mature, and be like the Bereans (Acts 17:10-11), and study the passage to determine what type of works that GOD is talking about that are necessary for us to do? Truth can only be determined by open-minded bible study of ALL scriptures.

-1 Peter 3:21 is SYMBOLIC for what happened at Noahs ark.

So? Whether it’s the “like figure” (KJV) or the “antitype” (NKJV) the passage (1 Peter 3:20-21) still says that baptism saves us. It is a part of salvation. That is what GOD wants us to see and understand. No one is saying that baptism alone saves us - - but that baptism does have a part in salvation.

-Remission of sins is also not needed for salvation but needed for the work in which God has commanded us to do, however, we shall still have salvation despite the fact we don't do that command. There is only ONE unforgiven sin.

You still haven’t told us where you got your definition for remission from. On several occasions you have posted that remission of sins in Acts 2:38 is not the same as the forgiveness of sins.

Strong’s Greek Lexicon has this to say about the word “remission” in Acts 2:38. The Greek word for remission is aphesis. Strong’s defines it as:
1.) Release from bondage or imprisonment
2.) Forgiveness or pardon (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty
The Greek word “aphesis” appears 17 other times in the New Testament in the KJV: 9 times it is translated “remission,” 6 times it is translated “forgiveness,” 1 time it is translated “deliverance,” and 1 time it is translated “liberty.”

Thus, Acts 2:38 carries this thought: repentance + baptism = remission (forgiveness, deliverance, or liberty) of sins.

**The Greek word for remission in Acts 2:38 (aphesis), is the SAME Greek word for remission in Acts 10:43. Therefore, the relationship of repentance and baptism to salvation in Acts 2:38 is the same as the relationship of faith to salvation in Acts 10:43. Consequently, if you conclude that faith leads to the forgiveness of sins (Acts 10:43), then you also conclude that repentance & baptism lead to the forgiveness of sin (Acts 2:38).

lol Shall I say John 3:16? The Word "believe" covers A LOT OF ground, including faith.

True. Faith covers a lot of ground. But if “faith alone” saves, then the rulers in John 12:42-43 (as western kentucky has pointed out) and the demons in James 2:19 will be saved. Who likes that conclusion? True faith prompts one to do the Father’s will (Matt. 7:21). That is what both the rulers and the demons lacked - - doing the Father’s will. How many others are content to follow in their footsteps?

In all, we are saved by GRACE in which we recieve by having faith. We don't get saved by water, but by blood.

I agree. Salvation is by grace. I agree. Salvation is by the blood of Christ. I agree because both concepts are scriptural (grace – Eph.2:8-9 & blood – Eph.1:7). Eph.1:7 says, “In Him we have redemption though His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.” Notice, this blessing is “in Him [Christ].” That prompts an obvious question: how does one get into Christ? “For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. [note: The thought doesn’t stop here. Faith drove them to obedience.] For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” (Gal.3:26-27) There it is - - our answer - - baptism puts one INTO Christ. So, perhaps there is a relationship between baptism and the blood of Christ that has been overlooked. Or, another possiblity is - - we can file this verse with James 2:24. I would not recommend the latter, but each bible student will have to decide for themselves.

Gods love is unconditional, and being baptised is nothing but a condition in which satan has caused man to think "OH **** I NEED TO BE BAPTIZED OR ELSE I WON'T GO TO HEAVEN."

If God’s love means that there are no conditions attached, then how can we teach that faith is necessary? Also, if Satan was working through Jesus in Mk.16:16, Peter in Acts 2:38, and Paul in Acts 22:16 when they taught about baptism, then you have a valid point. Personally, I don’t care for the reasoning at all.

Granted I will agree that baptism is nearly as important as salvation, b/c getting saved but not wanting to do the work of God is slefish and immature, but hey, Grace saves.

Baptism is but one of several requirements necessary for salvation. All commandments must be obeyed to obtain salvation. Not doing what God commands is not selfish or immature - - it is disobedience or “lawlessness” (Matt. 7:23).

1 corinthans 15:2 "WILL BE SAVEd by the gospel I present to you"
Romans 10:9 "SHALL be saved"

It seems that you may have overlooked an essential part of 1 Cor. 15:2, “By which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you.” Salvation is conditional. The condition is whether or not one will hold fast to the word. That also tells us why good bible students study the word so diligently.

John 3:16

How can you contend with such direct wording??? When you guys twiddle with such weak wording with your baptism scriptures in which I and many others have explained in a much simpler and correct way.
It is not faith that saves us alone for we cannot be saved on our own, of course, but it truly the grace of God, alone, that saves us.

I never realized that Jesus’ statement in Mk. 16:16, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved,” contained such weak wording. I always thought the concept that - - belief + baptism = salvation - - was a strong concept that was easy to understand. The last part of the verse says, “But he who does not believe will be condemned.” Likewise, this is also very easy to understand - - no faith + baptism does not equal salvation - - baptism, without faith, does not result in salvation. This passage harmonizes perfectly with Col. 2:12-13 - - baptism by faith results in the forgiveness of sins.

If it truly is the grace of God alone that saves us, then all people will be saved (***. 2:11). I find that a little hard to believe when I read Matt. 7:13-14.

There are others

Arch,

You are young. You have a lot of zeal for the Lord. But you need to couple your zeal with knowledge (Rom.10:2). Frankly, I’m not sure that I can be of much service to you at this point.

FC

Upvote 0
F

Florida College

xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
Yeah so I just did a greek study on the words for baptism.

I am afriad that we will have some unhappy people here.

Shall I post the greek definitions which are found in my kjv bible?

Arch,

The truth is not hurt by examination.

If you have something that is accurate and based on reputable sources, then share it with us. You don't need anyone's permission to do that.

Most good bible students have access to several different Greek or Hebrew lexicons or concordances. The accuracy of your findings can be easily checked.

So, if you indeed have something that is relevant to truth, Like Nike says, just do it!

FC

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
1 timothy 4:12 "let no one look down on your yotuhfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity, show youself an esample of those who belive"
13 Until I come, give attention to the public reading of scripture to exhortation and teaching.

I will ignore you last post, FC

Man is able to rationaliz anything from scritpure to try to prove ones own point of view.

FC, read what the word baptism means in the greek.

here... I shall type it for you.

Key Word Study Bible
Editor: Spiros Zodhiates.
Baptizo:
Baptism in those days was a public declaration that the Christian thus giving his testimony for Christ was willing to die for Christ following those who indeed became vctimes of persecution into death. Without the resurection of Christ and the Christian hope being a reality, such a baptism even unto death would be amockery. Therefore, the expression means to succeed into the place of those who are fallen martyrs in the cause of Christ. To baptize in its general signification means to be indetified with as the Israelites were identified witht he work and purpose of Moses (1 Cor 10:2) The baptism in or with the Holy Ghost means the work of Chirst through the miraculous effusion of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles and other believers at Pentacost.
Believers are baptized or identified spiritually into the body of Chist, the church, by one Spirit. (1 Cor 12:13). Figuratively, it also means to be immersed or plunged into a flood or sea as it of grevious afflictions and suffereing.

As far as me bing young, all I can say is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks after they get stuck in their ways.

Sorry, I have looked from your point of view again, even looking into the true meaning of the word baptism, and your side has come out lacking.

Upvote 0
F

Florida College

Your quote:
Key Word Study Bible
Baptizo:
Baptism in those days was a public declaration that the Christian thus giving his testimony for Christ was willing to die for Christ following those who indeed became vctimes of persecution into death. Without the resurection of Christ and the Christian hope being a reality, such a baptism even unto death would be amockery. Therefore, the expression means to succeed into the place of those who are fallen martyrs in the cause of Christ. To baptize in its general signification means to be indetified with as the Israelites were identified witht he work and purpose of Moses (1 Cor 10:2) The baptism in or with the Holy Ghost means the work of Chirst through the miraculous effusion of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles and other believers at Pentacost.
Believers are baptized or identified spiritually into the body of Chist, the church, by one Spirit. (1 Cor 12:13). Figuratively, it also means to be immersed or plunged into a flood or sea as it of grevious afflictions and suffereing.

Arch,

Is this it? This is not a Greek Dictionary. This is a commentary - - or what someone thinks baptism means. I have several commentaries that offer conflicting views from what you posted. But they are also the works of men. Their opinions are only profitable when they are in accordance to truth - - if they agree with scripture. So, whether you like it or not, you still have to study the scriptures to see if the commentator was right in his/her comments.

Now, is this it? Is this what was going to make everyone so upset?

As I previously said, truth is not hurt by examination. Feelings may get hurt, but truth will not be damaged at all.

Have you ever used Strong's Lexicon, Young's Analytical Concordance, or Vine's Expository Dictionary? These sources are well respected by the majority of bible students.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Florida College said:
Your quote:
Key Word Study Bible
Baptizo:

Arch,

Is this it? This is not a Greek Dictionary. This is a commentary - - or what someone thinks baptism means. I have several commentaries that offer conflicting views from what you posted. But they are also the works of men. Their opinions are only profitable when they are in accordance to truth - - if they agree with scripture. So, whether you like it or not, you still have to study the scriptures to see if the commentator was right in his/her comments.

Now, is this it? Is this what was going to make everyone so upset?

As I previously said, truth is not hurt by examination. Feelings may get hurt, but truth will not be damaged at all.

Have you ever used Strong's Lexicon, Young's Analytical Concordance, or Vine's Expository Dictionary? These sources are well respected by the majority of bible students.
No, it's not a commentary... You know those pages in the back of the bible before you see the index where it defines the words in their greek name? yeah, thats where I got it from. The correct context is written in english. It's not their opinions.

Commentaries are those little inserts on the bottom of each page where it discusses (in their opinion) what the scripture is talking about. They also do not lean on your side either.

Upvote 0

Clytie

I shined my halo just for you
Feb 3, 2003
under the stairs
Visit site
✟328.00
Faith
Baptist
I will readily agree i have not seen many commentaries that lean to yer side fla college...then again who cares of commentaries when we have the truth in the bible.

John 3:16 is considered one of the greatest scriptures ever and NO where does it mention baptism as being a part of salvation!

Upvote 0

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
Clytie said:
I will readily agree i have not seen many commentaries that lean to yer side fla college...
How many agreed with Noah's point of view in his day?
then again who cares of commentaries when we have the truth in the bible.
Agreed.
John 3:16 is considered one of the greatest scriptures ever and NO where does it mention baptism as being a part of salvation!
Correction. Look at verse 5, "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

John 3:16 doesn't specifically mention Repentance or Confession, but you don't rule them out simply because they aren't mentoned in that verse do you?

Upvote 0

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
No, it's not a commentary... You know those pages in the back of the bible before you see the index where it defines the words in their greek name? yeah, thats where I got it from. The correct context is written in english. It's not their opinions.

Commentaries are those little inserts on the bottom of each page where it discusses (in their opinion) what the scripture is talking about. They also do not lean on your side either.

In the quote you cited, Spiros is not "defining" baptism even if he says it in a "dictionary". Some scholars do that in some "dictionaries". They may give a definition and then make some comments. Spiros is commenting in your quote. Read it again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
Remission of sins is not a requirment for salvation though.

What???
You know, when I first read that statement, I thought surely that you had just made a slip up. But then I noticed that you have now made this statement 3 or 4 times.

Now I want you to compare these two verses please:
Ac. 2:38 says baptism is "for the remission of sins"
Mt. 26:28 says Christ's blood was shed "for the remission of sins"

Now do you see your delemma? Do you realize what you have just done?
If "remission" does not mean "forgiveness", then Christ's blood is not for forgiveness!

So in your zeal to rule out baptism, you have spoken too soon. Just as surely as you have ruled out baptism, you have ruled the blood, by the same reasoning.:(

Do you even know what remission means????

I might ask this question of you?

Please tell us what you think "remission" means in Matthew 26:28

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
heb12-2 said:
How many agreed with Noah's point of view in his day?

Agreed.
Correction. Look at verse 5, "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

John 3:16 doesn't specifically mention Repentance or Confession, but you don't rule them out simply because they aren't mentoned in that verse do you?

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

That water you speak of is actual birth.... not baptism. Being born of the spirit is beleiving, having faith, thus being saved by Grace.

Consider it a chain reaction once you beleive, for if you beleive, you will beleive in your heart, then the "spritit" of Christ will enter the heart, thus resulting in salvation.

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
heb12-2 said:
What???
You know, when I first read that statement, I thought surely that you had just made a slip up. But then I noticed that you have now made this statement 3 or 4 times.

Now I want you to compare these two verses please:
Ac. 2:38 says baptism is "for the remission of sins"
Mt. 26:28 says Christ's blood was shed "for the remission of sins"

Now do you see your delemma? Do you realize what you have just done?
If "remission" does not mean "forgiveness", then Christ's blood is not for forgiveness!

So in your zeal to rule out baptism, you have spoken too soon. Just as surely as you have ruled out baptism, you have ruled the blood, by the same reasoning.:(

I might ask this question of you?

Please tell us what you think "remission" means in Matthew 26:28

And if you were paying attention, I have given the definition.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.