Is baptism necessary to be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aggie03 said:
1 John 5:7 KJV

When we hear the word of God and are convicted by it, this is how the Holy Spirit has effected our belief, because we have the word by the Holy Spirit.

BUT ACCORDING TO ROMANS 3:10 -11 WE DO NOT SEEK GOD OR UNDERSTAND HIM SO HOW IS THAT ABLE?

Not ignoring, but rather harmonizing. Baptism is not a boastful work, but rather a commandment of God:

[.

JOHN 6:29 tHIS IS THE WORK OF GOD, THAT YE BELIEVE ON WHOM HE SENT.

LUKE 18:25-27FOR IT IS EASIER FOR A CAMEL TO GO THROUGH A NEEDLES EYE, THAN FOR A RICH MAN TO ENTER INTO THEKINGDOM OF GOD. 26 AND THEY HEARD IT SAID WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED 27 AND HE SAID , THE THINGS WHICH ARE IMMPOSSIBLE WITH MEN ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Brethren IN CHRIST said:
BUT ACCORDING TO ROMANS 3:10 -11 WE DO NOT SEEK GOD OR UNDERSTAND HIM SO HOW IS THAT ABLE?

That's an excellent question. One things that is important for us to understand is that we can't take a verse out of its context or it can significantly alter the meaning of the verse. If we were to take this verse out of context it might look as though man was completely reprobate or depraved. This however is not what the Scriptures as a whole teach when we consider them all against each other.

Harmonizing verses like this one isn't the easiest thing to do because there are some very long standing misinterpretations that have altered the way that we tend to view them, or in severe cases even in how we might use some of the words that are contained within them.

This will be the only part of this post you made that I'll deal with right now because the reply is going to be so long. With that being said, let's take a look at this verse in it's context:

Rom 3:1-31 ASV

What advantage then hath the Jew? or what is the profit of circumcision? (2) Much every way: first of all, that they were intrusted with the oracles of God. (3) For what if some were without faith? shall their want of faith make of none effect the faithfulness of God? (4) God forbid: yea, let God be found true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy words, And mightest prevail when thou comest into judgment. (5) But if our righteousness commendeth the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who visiteth with wrath? (I speak after the manner of men.) (6) God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world? (7) But if the truth of God through my lie abounded unto his glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner? (8) and why not (as we are slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say), Let us do evil, that good may come? whose condemnation is just. (9) What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we before laid to the charge both of Jews and Greeks, that they are all under sin; (10) as it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one; (11) There is none that understandeth, There is none that seeketh after God; (12) They have all turned aside, they are together become unprofitable; There is none that doeth good, no, not, so much as one: (13) Their throat is an open sepulchre; With their tongues they have used deceit: The poison of asps is under their lips: (14) Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: (15) Their feet are swift to shed blood; (16) Destruction and misery are in their ways; (17) And the way of peace have they not known: (18) There is no fear of God before their eyes. (19) Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it speaketh to them that are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God: (20) because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified in his sight; for through the law cometh the knowledge of sin. (21) But now apart from the law a righteousness of God hath been manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; (22) even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ unto all them that believe; for there is no distinction; (23) for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God; (24) being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (25) whom God set forth to be a propitiation, through faith, in his blood, to show his righteousness because of the passing over of the sins done aforetime, in the forbearance of God; (26) for the showing, I say, of his righteousness at this present season: that he might himself be just, and the justifier of him that hath faith in Jesus. (27) Where then is the glorying? It is excluded. By what manner of law? of works? Nay: but by a law of faith. (28) We reckon therefore that a man is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. (29) Or is God the God of Jews only? is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yea, of Gentiles also: (30) if so be that God is one, and he shall justify the circumcision by faith, and the uncircumcision through faith. (31) Do we then make the law of none effect through faith? God forbid: nay, we establish the law.

When you read through the rest of the chapter there is something that becomes very evident that changes the way that we need to view the rest of the letter that was written to the Romans. There is some conflict between the Christains in Rome about whether or not it was better to be a Jew or a Greek. This is probably one of the main reasons that Paul was even instructed by God to write this letter in the first place.

It is very important to understand when and to whom the section that you have quoted from Romans was written. It was quoted from a Psalms in the Old Testament, part of the Law for the Jewish nation. As Paul says, the things that were written in the Law were written for those who are under the Law. Paul also says that there is no way that a man could be justified before God under the Law, because as the section that you have quoted clearly explains at least at one point in their life they had turned away from God, they had chosen a path contrary to the path of God - for there is no justification under the Law. Are we under the Law of Moses now? Of course not, but we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).

So when we consider this verse in the context of the entire chapter, it becomes clear that the meaning in not rather that we are incapable of wanting to become a Christian before we are one, but that there is no way that we would be able to justify ourselves before God by anything that we might be able to do - for we are incapable of keeping the Law perfectly.

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
Ok ;).

I would really love for you to show me a verse that states this specifically. Is there a verse in the the Bible that states explicitly that salvation inspires baptism? If there is, I would love to learn about it, if there isn't, then this is a belief that is outside of Biblical teaching.

I would say that we can't be born again without being baptized for the remission of our sins. Let's take a very close look at what the text of John 3 actually says:

John 3:4-5 ASV

Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born? (5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God!

In Jesus's reply to Nicodemus He is talking about how we are to be reborn. His answer: of water and the Spirit. He does not say just believe. Baptism is instrumental in our being reborn, in fact, it does not happen without it!

What exactly does it mean to receive Jesus into your heart? This is a very common expression, but very few people can actually tell me what it means.

It is true that Christ would take the sins of the worls upon Him at His death, but this is not at all the reason why He was baptized.

Matthew 3:15 ASV

But Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffereth him.

This was something that God had planned to happen. This was the reason that John had been sent in the first place, that all righteouness might be fulfilled and the things about which the prophets spoke should come to pass.

Please define what you mean by crisis experience. And I am also curious about this: from the way that you have this worded you are separating baptism of the Holy Spirit and conversion. So do you believe that no baptism occurs in the salvation process? Do you believe that you are baptized with the Holy Spirit before you are "saved", or after?

This smacks of man's teaching, man's traditions and man's thoughts. Where is this mentioned specifically in the scriptures?

I would really like to hear your definitions of baptism. Baptism simply means to immerse. Here you are saying that someone is immersed in the Holy Spirit when they believe, but that's not completely what needs to happen. I just don't understand any of the points that you are trying to make here at all :confused:.

Again, you cannot be born again without being baptized for the remission of your sins. This is not me saying this, but God:

Acts 2:38 ASV

And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

I'm glad that you've brought this passage up. Let's see exactly what it does say about this topic:

Acts 19:2-6 ASV

and he said unto them, Did ye receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed? And they said unto him, Nay, we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given. (3) And he said, Into what then were ye baptized? And they said, Into John's baptism. (4) And Paul said, John baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people that they should believe on him that should come after him, that is, on Jesus. (5) And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. (6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

This scripture shows that there are two types of baptisms: one of John and one of Christ. When they were not baptized in the name of Christ, Paul had them immediately baptized because they were not yet children of God, they hadn't been reborn. It's also important to note that they did not receive any spiritual gifts directly after they were baptized, but rather when Paul laid his hands on them. That's because this is how people were given spiritual gifts, like the ones mentioned here. It was necessary for an Apostle of Christ Jesus to lay their hands on an individual and impart those gifts to them.

If what you are saying here is true, then it is impossible for anyone to be baptized by the Holy Spirit today because it was necessary for an Apostle to lay their hands on someone for this to happen. This entire post would have been unnecessary if what you are saying is true.

Still, I don't believe that baptism of the Holy Spirit happens anymore today, and I believe that there are really only two examples of it happening in the New Testament: Acts 2 & 10. There was a might sound that could be heard from far away, and there were instantaneous gifts, in particular tongues. This just simply does not happen today.

Rather, we have been commanded to be baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit by Christ (Matthew 28:19, Mark 16:16) in order that we might be saved. This isn't optional, it isn't an outward sign, it is a necessity for our salvation.

Read those 2 text and I will show you that the holy spirit and the water baptism are important , The born again thing are in those text (And I'm sorry that I didn't gave you the context first because you have asked be the born again thing and I didn't express myself in a good way so that's why you got confuse.

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
Which is why I don't use that word. That's one the catholic denomination made up. The word Godhead is mentioned in the Scriptures - that's the one I use :).

Ok read those 2 text and if you still don't agree with it then I don't have more argument because it's clear for me

What Does the Bible Say About...the Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (Matthew 3:11).

"And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God" (John 1:32-34).

The baptism in the Holy Ghost is a crisis experience just as our initial conversion experience was. We cannot be gradually baptized in the Holy Spirit, just as we cannot be gradually baptized in water. Certainly we can be gradually filled with God's Spirit, but one day that "filling" will spill over into a baptism or complete immersion in the Holy Ghost. Many believe they need not ask for this experience because they think they receive the Holy Spirit at conversion. While this is true in the sense that the Holy Spirit comes upon us, and in us, to plant the seed of life in Christ, it is not true that we are completely filled with His Spirit unless we ask for it. "...How much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" (Luke 11:13).

Many people have been "born again" and have the Holy Spirit working in their lives, but have never received the baptism in the Holy Ghost which equips them for service and gives them the power needed to overcome in Christ. "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence...But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:5 and 8). If you, as a Christian, have not known the power of God in being able to overcome sin, to witness and to know God in His fullness, then you need to ask God for the baptism in the Holy Ghost. There were also Christians in Paul's day who did not know about the power that was available to them. We find this recorded in Acts 19:2-6:

"He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."

This Scripture clearly shows us there is more than one kind of baptism. These Christians had received water baptism, but not the Holy Ghost baptism until Paul laid his hands on them and prayed. We also see that the gifts of the Holy Spirit accompany this baptism, as they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

Another account of this taking place is found in Acts 8:14-20: "Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money."

HOLY SPIRIT IS A GIFT

Still again we find an account of the gift of the Holy Spirit being given in Acts 11:14-17:

"Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. For as much then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?"

God's gift of the Holy Ghost is promised to us today and not just for the saints back then as we find Peter saying, "...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:38-39). The Holy Ghost is God's gift to us. As we are baptized in His Spirit we will find that we will experience the gift of speaking in tongues, plus all the other gifts of the Spirit when needed, if we continue to follow Him (I Corinthians 12, 13 and 14). These are God's gifts of power to enable us to accomplish the task to which we have been commissioned. Although the gift has been abused by many, we should not take lightly the Lord's words to us in John 7:37b-39,

"...Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"

Acts 2:2-4 says, "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

If the disciples of the Lord needed to be filled with the Holy Ghost then, how much more do we need to be filled in our day? We should not allow what other men think or say about the Baptism in the Holy Ghost to prevent us from seeking this wonderful blessing. We should seek the Lord with an humble heart for the truth of what is written in the Bible and ask Him to baptize us in the Holy Spirit. We can trust Him to show us the truth if we come to Him with an open heart and mind with a willingness to obey Him.

"Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him (Acts 5:28-32)."

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What Does the Bible say about...Water Baptism?

Water baptism is an act of obedience that follows conversion to portray symbolically the washing away of our sins. Water baptism calls for immersion instead of sprinkling. Many groups that have only sprinkled in times past are now seeing that the Scriptural method is total immersion in water. In fact, the Greek word "baptism" means to immerse, submerse and emerge.

The baptism itself does not bring salvation; salvation inspires the water baptism. It should be the first thing we do after we are "born again." Those who have received Jesus in their hearts should desire to follow Him in this ordinance. Jesus Himself came to John the Baptist to receive His water baptism because He was to take the sins of the world at His death. These sins would be washed away by God for those who put their trust in Him. "The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water" (John 1:29-31).

Anyone who receives water baptism must realize what it means to receive it; therefore, infant baptism is not Scriptural. One must repent and be saved to be baptized. Water baptism portrays the burial of the old man and his works of death and the raising out of the water into the new life in Christ. An infant cannot repent. However, parents can dedicate their babies to the Lord, as there are many accounts of this throughout the Bible. Hannah prayed a beautiful prayer when she dedicated her son Samuel to the Lord, "For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him: Therefore also I have lent him to the Lord; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the Lord" (I Samuel 1:27-28). John's baptism of repentance was to prepare the way for the baptism of the Holy Ghost by Jesus.

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (Matthew 3:11).

"And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God" (John 1:32-34).

Once we are "born again" the Lord instructs us to be baptized in water as an act of obedience to typify what has happened to us spiritually.

Romans 6:1-18:

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Verse 4 says if we are baptized into Christ, we are also baptized into His death; all of our sins are nailed to the cross. This revelation will free us from all guilt when we realize every sin we have ever committed has been washed away. Going under the water is a type of being buried with Christ in death. Coming out of the water is a type of being raised alive with Christ.

Verses 14-15 says we are no longer under the law (the law of sin and death), but we are not to yield to sin or we will come back under that law. We need to nail the sin principle in our lives to the cross. (Jesus was crucified, so now sin has no more dominion over us.) We must crucify the sin in our lives which means to die to self through God's resurrection power. If we yield to the Spirit of God, then sin will no longer have control over us.

Verse 16-18 tells us that when we yield to the devil and sin, at that moment we become Satan's servant. The "law of sin and death" begins at that time to work against us. That law produces fear, guilt, doubt, unbelief, sickness, etc., because we have become a servant of Satan. The moment we truly repent, we are back to being the servant of God and sin has no more dominion over us. When we walk in God's peace, we will even be able to walk the martyr's life filled with the resurrection power of Christ. We need to be in the place where we will would lay our life down before we would deny Christ or hurt God by sinning against Him. We should look different from those in the world! When we yield completely to Christ, we will be truly free. Daily, we must crucify self and let Christ live through us.

In water baptism, we baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, in the name of Jesus. This has been a controversial subject in the Body of Christ as some people baptize in "Jesus' name only." However scripture tells us how to baptize in Matthew 28:18-20:

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

This commission is given to disciples. Disciples can baptize those that are needing to be baptized. However, not all Christians qualify as disciples unless they are being obedient to the Lord's commandments. One cannot teach others until they are first taught themselves. The Bible teaches that disciples are to baptize others when they come to Christ.

In the above scripture, we see that we are to baptize in the name of each member of the Trinity, BUT we do it in the "authority and the name of Jesus Christ." Some people discount a water baptism if it was not done in "Jesus' name only." It is legalistic to say one has been baptized wrongly if they have been baptized in name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost since all is done in the authority of Jesus.

Acts 8:26-39 is a New Testament example of water baptism:

26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Here Phillip preached Jesus and water baptism. The eunuch received Jesus and was baptized in obedience to God's Word after he was "born again." From these verses we can see the importance of water baptism. Baptism in water is in obedience to God's Word, and by it we identify ourselves with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many" (1 Corinthians 12: 2-14).

The baptism into the Body is actually a baptism in the Blood of Christ at the time we are born again. We become a member of the body of Christ. It does not matter what denomination we are a member of, but rather what family we are "born" into. We become sons and daughters of God and are now members of the body of Christ when we repent and accept Him as our Savior. Our water baptism is the portrayal of that happening and a witness to the world that we are saved. If you have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior and have not been water baptized you need to be baptized today to seal your covenant with God

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CrossMovement said:
What Does the Bible say about...Water Baptism?

This is an excellent question! :)

Water baptism is an act of obedience that follows conversion to portray symbolically the washing away of our sins. Water baptism calls for immersion instead of sprinkling. Many groups that have only sprinkled in times past are now seeing that the Scriptural method is total immersion in water. In fact, the Greek word "baptism" means to immerse, submerse and emerge.

I do not mean to be forward, but you have made an exceptional claim about the Bible stating something and then have offered no proof from Scripture to back up what you have said. There have been several people on these forums who have made very similar claims to this, however, no one has been able to offer any evidence that what they are saying is the truth.

Before I respond to the rest of your post, I wanted to give you a chance to find a verse in the Scriptures where it states explicity that baptism is nothing more than a symbol that has no part in our salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
This is an excellent question! :)

I do not mean to be forward, but you have made an exceptional claim about the Bible stating something and then have offered no proof from Scripture to back up what you have said. There have been several people on these forums who have made very similar claims to this, however, no one has been able to offer any evidence that what they are saying is the truth.

Before I respond to the rest of your post, I wanted to give you a chance to find a verse in the Scriptures where it states explicity that baptism is nothing more than a symbol that has no part in our salvation.

Baptism is needed for salvation , I never question that , but there is a proper way to do baptism , but if you want the proof I will pm you and you got to wait for my answer because I can't give all those proofs alone.

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
You believe that being baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit for the remission of our sins is necessary for our salvation?

We got to do both water and Holy spirit , Jesus did get baptism with water , so it is important , I'm still following the old Law (I'm a 7th day Adventist)and I do my Sabbath on Saturday , so it means Now :p I can talk about God word on my Sabbath ... But if you are not following the old law and all those other stuffs , we will not understand each other I think :)

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
CrossMovement said:
We got to do both water and Holy spirit , Jesus did get baptism with water , so it is important , I'm still following the old Law (I'm a 7th day Adventist)and I do my Sabbath on Saturday , so it means Now :p I can talk about God word on my Sabbath ... But if you are not following the old law and all those other stuffs , we will not understand each other I think :)

Holy spirit is when you accept him as your personal savior . The baptism in the water is the proof that you have given your life to Christ.

I don't know why those this can be questionned , but you have maybe some answer , so i'll wait for your's

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a verse from the Bible that states baptism is nothing more than the outward manifestation of our faith. No one has been able to do this...
ç

You must understand that a verse does not give the context of what it is saying sometime. That's why I can't give verse. It is deeper than that. I try to not give just a verse because it's like that that people get confuse.

And now I'm confused lol :p , Do you agree with water baptism and Holy Spirit ??? I don't know now with your last post of what you think about baptism , I am a little bit confused lol.

Holy spirit is when you accept him as your personal savior . The baptism in the water is the proof that you have given your life to Christ.

Don't you approve this ??

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a verse from the Bible that states baptism is nothing more than the outward manifestation of our faith. No one has been able to do this...

We must do the Holy spirit and The water baptism , Not just 1 of them but both.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right, I understand that you believe this ;). As of yet, however, there has not been a verse presented that states, as you have, baptism (immersion in water) is not for the remission of sins but is merely an outward sybol of an inward change.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CrossMovement said:

Don't you approve this ??

This is not what I think the scriptures teach. I do not believe that baptism is an outward sign that you have given your life to Christ. Rather, I believe that being baptized for the remission of your sins is essential and necessary in order for us to be saved.

This is why I have been asking you to provide a verse which states specifially that baptism is nothing more than an outward symbol of an inward change, or as you have just stated in your last post, that you have given your life to Christ.

Upvote 0

CrossMovement

Jul 4, 2003
✟8,470.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
aggie03 said:
Right, I understand that you believe this ;). As of yet, however, there has not been a verse presented that states, as you have, baptism (immersion in water) is not for the remission of sins but is merely an outward sybol of an inward change.

Because there isn't a verse who says that Water Baptism is not for the remission of sins because it is :). Nobody will come up to you and find something that says that ;)

I'm french so maybe that you don't understand all the things that I say , so please say to me what you don't uinderstand , if there is something ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.