Is anyone defending the actions taken against George Floyd?

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
George Floyd independent autopsy and Minnesota officials say death was homicide - CNN

Both autopsies performed indicate the death of George Floyd was by homicide. Everyone appears to condemn the actions of the officers involved. How can we focus our reaction on constructive actions rather than divisions among us?

What can be done to prevent more of these violations of the basic rights of citizens?

Note: This is not a thread on riots, the Democratic or Republican party, antifa or white supremacists, Trump, or Biden, or any of the sort. It is a thread about practical steps to address the violations of the rights of citizens at the hands of law enforcement officers.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What can be done to prevent more of these violations of the basic rights of citizens?

I think that what is happening, while I don't condone all of it, is the next logical step to real change...for better or worse. Either way, this is an exciting time. Rejoice always, pray ceaselessly.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Do what we had to do in the U.K. years ago, hold a national independent inquiry led by someone highly respected with enough budget to really dig into how the police and justice system actually function, and provide a report full of recommendations for how to fix the problems they find.

In the U.K. we had exactly the same things being said about ‘a few bad apples’, and how racism wasn’t prevalent amongst police and so on. What the MacPherson report actually discovered was that the police en masse were institutionanally racist. It wasn’t a few bad officers it was deeply embedded in their very structure.

It’s painful to open that Pandora’s Box but until you do nothing will change.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do what we had to do in the U.K. years ago, hold a national independent inquiry led by someone highly respected with enough budget to really dig into how the police and justice system actually function, and provide a report full of recommendations for how to fix the problems they find.

In the U.K. we had exactly the same things being said about ‘a few bad apples’, and how racism wasn’t prevalent amongst police and so on. What the MacPherson report actually discovered was that the police en masse were institutionanally racist. It wasn’t a few bad officers it was deeply embedded in their very structure.

It’s painful to open that Pandora’s Box but until you do nothing will change.

Thank you for that feedback! What steps did they take once they learned that? Do you have a referenc. But even if they did not, the abuses are happening, with people of all races, and need to be addressed.

I think there have been some reports of racist sentiment in some localities already, so I don't doubt they would find something. Even apart from racism, the abuses are happening to people of all different backgrounds, and need to be addressed.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for that feedback! What steps did they take once they learned that? Do you have a referenc. But even if they did not, the abuses are happening, with people of all races, and need to be addressed.

I think there have been some reports of racist sentiment in some localities already, so I don't doubt they would find something. Even apart from racism, the abuses are happening to people of all different backgrounds, and need to be addressed.

Here’s an article on it: Macpherson report: what was it and what impact did it have?

Just to be totally clear, it didn’t totally solve the UK’s problems, there’s still plenty of racism to be found and probably always will be as long as it’s a problem in society, but it did achieve some really positive change.

• Useful
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that what is happening, while I don't condone all of it, is the next logical step to real change...for better or worse. Either way, this is an exciting time. Rejoice always, pray ceaselessly.

Reminds me of the curse, "May you live in interesting times."

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Reminds me of the curse, "May you live in interesting times."

"'May you live in interesting times' is an English expression which purports to be a translation of a traditional Chinese curse. While seemingly a blessing, the expression is normally used ironically; life is better in "uninteresting times" of peace and tranquility than in "interesting" ones, which are usually times of trouble."
May you live in interesting times - Wikipedia

A Chinese curse huh, first time I heard of it.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
"'May you live in interesting times' is an English expression which purports to be a translation of a traditional Chinese curse. While seemingly a blessing, the expression is normally used ironically; life is better in "uninteresting times" of peace and tranquility than in "interesting" ones, which are usually times of trouble."
May you live in interesting times - Wikipedia

A Chinese curse huh, first time I heard of it.
Sir Terry Pratchett wrote “Interesting Times” as part of his “Discworld” series, shame you missed it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
George Floyd independent autopsy and Minnesota officials say death was homicide - CNN

Both autopsies performed indicate the death of George Floyd was by homicide. Everyone appears to condemn the actions of the officers involved. How can we focus our reaction on constructive actions rather than divisions among us?

Note: This is not a thread on riots, the Democratic or Republican party, antifa or white supremacists, Trump, or Biden, or any of the sort. It is a thread about practical steps to address the violations of the rights of citizens at the hands of law enforcement officers.
Obama had put something in place, but, of course, Donald dismantled it.

Justice Department ends program scrutinizing local police forces - 2017/09/15

The Trump administration abandoned Obama-era police reform efforts. Now critics want them restored. 2020/06/01

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums