ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just had my acer netbook wiped clean and windows XP re installed by a shop because a virus had wrecked it.
Now trying to get online using my home network with a router, get the message invalid IP address. Hoping to not have to spend another $100 to get online again.
Any suggestions? Thanks

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My first guess would be DHCP isn't turned on. You can get to that via network adapter properties/TCP properties. Sometimes viruses break the TCP stack. But if the OS has been reinstalled, I would think the tech would have checked connectivity before he released the machine.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, Windows will assign itself an IP if it doesn't detect DHCP. And that IP is going to be in a range that no one will ever use in this country. Not this continent, either.

I've fixed this before, but I've got to dig up the notes . . .

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Test for the problem:

1. Get to a command prompt by going to Start > Run, and entering cmd.exe
2. Run ipconfig within the cmd.exe window
3. Pay attention to "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection." Should be the second one down.
4. Compare the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway to that of another computer which is hooked up to your router where the Internet actually works.
5. Subnet Mask and Default Gateway need to match those of the working computer. IPv4 Address should NOT, or else neither will work.

Solution:

1. My Network Places > Network Connections
2. Right Click "Local Area Connection" and select Properties
3. Select "Internet Protocol Version 4" and select Properties
4. Make sure "Obtain Internet Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Automatically" are selected.
5. OK to save any changes.

What Microsoft has to say: To configure TCP/IP for automatic addressing

APIPA is what is getting in your way, the term escaped me. There are guides to actually turning it off, such as:

Disable APIPA on Windows XP to speed up troubleshooting | TechRepublic

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
how do I get to network adapter properties, or to a command prompt? (wasn't able to test for the problem)

network connection details shows
no default gateway
no DNS server
no WINS server

Typing ipconfig into run hitting enter did nothing.I disabled APIPA as the site showed, but to no avail. Now it just endlessly tries to aquire the network address.

One of the things the virus that caused me to have windows re-installed did was render useless all the usb ports. They're still not functioning. Does that mean the virus is still active on the computer?

Thanks for the detailed responses

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a driver or two needs to be installed/updated if some of your devices are not working after a fresh install.

To get to the command prompt, it's cmd.exe in Run. Then ipconfig at that prompt.

The network adapter properties in XP should be in My Network Places > Network Connections. You should see an icon for your networking device(s). If it has a wired port which is connected to the router, you should see an icon for that, if it has wireless, there should be a different icon for that. Right-click whichever connection you are trying to use.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For the USB ports, try going to Control Panel / System / hardware / device manager, and make sure the ports are enabled. If it was an install-over, settings like that and the connectivity problem could have survived it. If it was a fresh install, you shouldn't be having these problems.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I just had my acer netbook wiped clean and windows XP re installed by a shop because a virus had wrecked it.
Now trying to get online using my home network with a router, get the message invalid IP address. Hoping to not have to spend another $100 to get online again.
Any suggestions? Thanks
Yeah. Get a Mac.
;)

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the replies. Don't have time to deal with it now as I'm going out of town for 5 months. Hopefully in january I can find this thread.

If you're going to be without it for 5 months, just send it to one of the CF Geeks & they can send it back with everything re-installed, updates applied, AntiVirus (Free version) installed, and all drivers working (That also might be your issue)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums