United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

Over the last few years I moved from a Baptist church to a Catholic one. My family is Catholic, but I was not. I am struggling to be Catholic, but could not return to the Baptist church - it's just not historically the Church.

I seem to be finding some of this issues I have with the Catholic Church don't exist in Orthodoxy.

Can anyone recommend any articles, audio, or books that are not too long, that would give me the basics of Orthodoxy? Not trying to take the easy route - but I have a family and a small business, so I don't have time to read a long book right now.

I am especially interested in the Orthodox view of grace - as the little I have read on it is pretty straight forward compared to the Catholic actual grace, sanctifying graces, and other "graces" you get when you do certain things.

I have been listening to Ancient Faith Radio, and Fr. Seraphim on the Dove - and they are just excellent. I have started fasting as more normal part of life, by their recommendation, and so far it's a great thing.

I would really like to learn enough to live my Lent and Easter (do Orthodox not call it Easter?) this year in an Orthodox way if possible.

Thank you!

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Over the last few years I moved from a Baptist church to a Catholic one. My family is Catholic, but I was not. I am struggling to be Catholic, but could not return to the Baptist church - it's just not historically the Church.

I seem to be finding some of this issues I have with the Catholic Church don't exist in Orthodoxy.

Can anyone recommend any articles, audio, or books that are not too long, that would give me the basics of Orthodoxy? Not trying to take the easy route - but I have a family and a small business, so I don't have time to read a long book right now.

I am especially interested in the Orthodox view of grace - as the little I have read on it is pretty straight forward compared to the Catholic actual grace, sanctifying graces, and other "graces" you get when you do certain things.

I have been listening to Ancient Faith Radio, and Fr. Seraphim on the Dove - and they are just excellent. I have started fasting as more normal part of life, by their recommendation, and so far it's a great thing.

I would really like to learn enough to live my Lent and Easter (do Orthodox not call it Easter?) this year in an Orthodox way if possible.

Thank you!
I have been trying to explore Eastern Orthodoxy for the last several months. Not necessarily the best, but a reference I have found quite useful and shorter was The Orthodox Way by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware.

Also, this page had some useful information for me, from the Greek Orthodox Church.

https://www.goarch.org/library

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the companion to the Orthodox Way is Metropolitan Kallistos' The Orthodox Church.
I found that one quite informative as well, but it is a bit longer, so I didn’t mention it. I do recommend it as well, for someone (like me) clueless as to anything Orthodox.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You mentioned grace ... is God's grace as regards "imputed righteousness" something that interests you?

There's an excellent podcast series I've listened to about once a year since I found it. Here : Imputed Righteousness | Ancient Faith Ministries

There are 12parts, but the segments are short. Good for listening to on a drive maybe.

Anyway, thought I'd offer it, in case it helps. :)

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello,
Can anyone recommend any articles, audio, or books...
Thank you!
Gotta chuckle!

My question, some 18 [plus or munus - who's counting?] years back, when I first heard that there IS an Eastern Orthodox Church was: "Cool... So have they written anything?" And it was like Black Friday at Maci's as the doors are first opened in the morning and the employees opening the doors are over-run by the imploding stampede! Beginning with the New Testament, of which Jerome's Latin Vulgate is but one version, we have a 2000 year uninterrupted history of consistent writings about the Faith from within its neptic and ascetic praxis by those who have succeeded in walking the talk...

A good lecturer on AFR is Fr. Thomas Hopko of Blessed Memory, with a ton of podcasts after he retired as Dean of Theology at St. Vlad's...

The one I started with was Fr. Arsenii, which shows Orthodoxy stripped of its smells and bells, and shows what Grace looks like in the nightmare conditions of the Russian Gulags...

And for the best, I love The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky...

You sound like you are doing it right as an enquirer - Living it to try it on for size...

Finding a Faith Community and getting Catechism might be a next step...

And ALL books by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos [my Avatar here] are just the best ever - There are perhaps 15 now translated into English, of the 200 plus that he has written - Takes him a month to write a book... An Athonite elder remarked to him that he had an "obscene amount of Grace"... I would have to concur, not that my concurrence and $5 will get you any change back at Starbucks, mind you!

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mentioned grace ... is God's grace as regards "imputed righteousness" something that interests you?

There's an excellent podcast series I've listened to about once a year since I found it. Here : Imputed Righteousness | Ancient Faith Ministries

There are 12parts, but the segments are short. Good for listening to on a drive maybe.

Anyway, thought I'd offer it, in case it helps. :)

Thank you! Will try to listen today!

One of my challenges is I am in a small town in a rural area. The closest EO parish is about 1.5 hours away, and with my Sunday obligations with my family to the Catholic Church, it may be a while before I could go see it.

So for now most of my learning will be solo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

One of my challenges is I am in a small town in a rural area. The closest EO parish is about 1.5 hours away, and with my Sunday obligations with my family to the Catholic Church, it may be a while before I could go see it.

I began much the same, but without any other Church's family obligations - Had to drive an hour to get to Church, and that but once a week on Sunday, and mostly was self taught on line and with books... But on Sundays, I was first in and last out of the Church...

Another readily accessible online web-page to study Orthodoxy is THE ROMANS Ancient, Medieval and Modern - There you can find Fr. John Romanides, who taught many, and whose doctoral dissertation at the U of Athens re-established the Patristic Tradition in Orthodox Theology over the Latin Scholastic methodology being taught there at the time. His book, Patristic Theology, is the popular version of that PhD Thesis... And some Hierotheos Vlachos...

It was Fr. John who got me clear on the three stages of Orthodox Spiritual development: Purification of the heart, enlightenment of the nous, and divinization of the person, which is prescribed across all Patristic texts in various formats...

What the heck are you doing UP at this hour?? I have the excuse of 3AM Orthros Services, but YOU??? :)

Arsenios

Last edited:
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Prayers for you!

But in your situation, Ancient Faith Radio is a great resource. :)

It involves a lot more, but I'd also suggest the Acquiring the Mind of the Church collection. Acquiring the Mind of the Church | Ancient Faith Ministries - though I see they've added a new one I haven't listened to and it's Fr. Josiah Trenham on Roman Catholicism so ... just saying it's possible that one could sound a little polemical. I really love many of the ones that have gone into the series over the years though, and many are some of the best podcasts on AFR.

Some of the podcasts I liked best may have appealed to me mainly because of my Protestant background, and might address issues you wouldn't have as a Catholic. In your case it's better to understand the deeper differences between the two rather than having to sort out the very fact of the communion of the Saints, for example, or the ever-virginity of the Theotokos, though deeper in those topics again we have differences.

Prayers for you though. And I think seeking to understand grace from our perspective is a good effort, since that is the basis of some of our differences.

God be with you!

• Agree
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was raised Independent Baptist, transitioned to Southern Baptist as a young adult on my own. Catholicism was dismissed for two reasons, one being that well was already partially poisoned by my upbringing.

I was Chrismated Orthodox in 2015. The previous suggestions are all great. However, there is a fairly recent book that I discovered and think would be especially salient for you is:
Know the Faith by Michael Shanbour (linked here)
Know the Faith is an attempt to present Orthodox Christianity in a way Western Christians can understand, grounding each point in Scripture and patristic theology, with comparisons to what Catholics and Protestants believe.

I recommend this book often. Although I was already Orthodox when it came out, I grab it for quick, handy reference often since it's laid out topically. (Grace is Chapter 2)
There is a sample chapter online at the link above allowing you to determine whether the format is something that would help in your inquiry.

I'll look for some blogs/podcasts and such to link as well.
Godspeed on your journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Independent Baptist, transitioned to Southern Baptist as a young adult on my own. Catholicism was dismissed for two reasons, one being that well was already partially poisoned by my upbringing.

I was Chrismated Orthodox in 2015. The previous suggestions are all great. However, there is a fairly recent book that I discovered and think would be especially salient for you is:
Know the Faith by Michael Shanbour (linked here)
Know the Faith is an attempt to present Orthodox Christianity in a way Western Christians can understand, grounding each point in Scripture and patristic theology, with comparisons to what Catholics and Protestants believe.

I recommend this book often. Although I was already Orthodox when it came out, I grab it for quick, handy reference often since it's laid out topically. (Grace is Chapter 2)
There is a sample chapter online at the link above allowing you to determine whether the format is something that would help in your inquiry.

I'll look for some blogs/podcasts and such to link as well.
Godspeed on your journey.
That sounds like a good resource to be able to access!

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am in the same boat as you plus I work most Sundays from noon on. Not Catholic but very involved in my Lutheran church, closest Orthodox church is about 75 miles away, and I hate winter driving.
I second the recommend for The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos Ware. I'm also right now reading "Know the Faith." by Rev. Michael Shanbour. Very informative and there is a chapter on grace, contrasting with the RC view!! Yes great book as pointed out above. And I hear ya on the time issues. I only get a few pages in a night, but still, eventually my books get read!

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For what it's worth, I'm also recognizing that the Orthodox Church is the True Church. I have recently begun 'The Orthodox Church' with 'The Orthodox Way' in waiting, both are by Kallistos Ware. And my copy of 'The Way of a Pilgrim & The Pilgrim Continues His Way' arrived today.

And Ancient Faith Radio is a great resource.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WadeTheophan

Falling and getting up to fall again
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thank you!
I was born and raised baptist and became Orthodox years ago. The book Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells was instrumental.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello,

Thank you!

God bless you! Here you can find many Orthodox sites and YouTube Channels:

Multilingual Christianity - Orthodoxy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Easter" is derived from the Old Teutonic German word for "resurrection, but in most languages which aren't Germanic, the feast days of the death and resurrection of Christ are known as some derivative of "Pascha" which itself is derived from the Jewish word for "passover"

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW!

Orthodox convert from Catholicism here.

This video is the Chicago Police Department's training video on the Eastern Orthodox. They did a series of these for the different religious groups in the city years and years back, but for us it is simple yet informative.

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was a cradle Catholic and was born and raised in the Catholic Church. I am also in the process of converting to Orthodoxy right now. My family, who is still Catholic, thinks that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are one and the same. But, besides the schism that happened almost a thousand years ago, there are many major differences in theology between the Catholics and the Orthodox. One big difference is that while Catholics rely mostly on logic and reason to find God and understand him, Orthodoxy just use faith and it's mysteries to accomplish that same goal. The way the Orthodox develop theology and tradition is way different from that of Catholics. Good books you can read for more details about Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the chapter of Roman Catholicism in Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Andrew Steven Damnick and My Exodus from Roman Catholicism by a Spanish Catholic monk who converted to Orthodoxy.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was a cradle Catholic and was born and raised in the Catholic Church. I am also in the process of converting to Orthodoxy right now. My family, who is still Catholic, thinks that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are one and the same. But, besides the schism that happened almost a thousand years ago, there are many major differences in theology between the Catholics and the Orthodox. One big difference is that while Catholics rely mostly on logic and reason to find God and understand him, Orthodoxy just use faith and it's mysteries to accomplish that same goal. The way the Orthodox develop theology and tradition is way different from that of Catholics. Good books you can read for more details about Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the chapter of Roman Catholicism in Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Andrew Steven Damnick and My Exodus from Roman Catholicism by a Spanish Catholic monk who converted to Orthodoxy.

Popes and Patriarchs is a good one too.

Upvote 0