Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF and to TAW! We are glad to have you join us. :)

And Happy Birthday too!

Regarding your family, that's a unique position. If they think both are the same (unless they are heavily invested in being in communion with Rome, which is probable) ... it seems they would be unlikely to object to your change on doctrinal grounds. But I can imagine it would be frustrating that they don't see any difference. I run into this frequently with Catholics, who often just don't understand the nuances of Orthodoxy, I think.

Again, welcome. And God grant you Many Years!

I was a cradle Catholic and was born and raised in the Catholic Church. I am also in the process of converting to Orthodoxy right now. My family, who is still Catholic, thinks that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are one and the same. But, besides the schism that happened almost a thousand years ago, there are many major differences in theology between the Catholics and the Orthodox. One big difference is that while Catholics rely mostly on logic and reason to find God and understand him, Orthodoxy just use faith and it's mysteries to accomplish that same goal. The way the Orthodox develop theology and tradition is way different from that of Catholics. Good books you can read for more details about Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the chapter of Roman Catholicism in Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Andrew Steven Damnick and My Exodus from Roman Catholicism by a Spanish Catholic monk who converted to Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am in the same boat as you plus I work most Sundays from noon on. Not Catholic but very involved in my Lutheran church, closest Orthodox church is about 75 miles away, and I hate winter driving.

I was raised LCMS and converted in 2002 so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a conversion story written on here? And did you ever consider Roman Catholicism?

Long story short... Local LCMS churches were switching from anything liturgical to drum kits next to the altar, or in my wife's church, sold the church to move out of the inner suburbs to upscale storefront with drum kit instead of an altar. Considered RCC, conservative Anglican, WELS and EO. I had learned about EO back in college and we went to a couple EO churches and fell in love with a small Greek parish. My profile picture is from our chrismation performed by +Kallistos Ware in 2002. Currently a chanter/reader in Virginia after 11 years in Boston.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm still discerning between EO and RC. Currently WELS. I have rejected conservative Anglican as there is no parish for hundreds of miles, and lack of apostolic sucession.
Was baptized and confirmed LCMS, went to Calvary Chapel for awhile out of high school, recommited my life to Christ in 89 and returned to Calvary Chapel, returned to Lutheran(ELCA)left that and became WELS .

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi there!

Went back and re-read your first post. Lent is fast approaching and has been on my mind a little. :)

One thing I benefited from a lot and have listened to more than once, and will hopefully listen to again this year, is the Our Life in Christ series on the Prayer of St. Emphaim for Great Lent. The Prayer of St. Ephraim | Ancient Faith Ministries

Thought I'd mention that. :)

So many podcasts have special series or episodes for Great Lent or Pascha. That's the one that immediately comes to my mind though. Our Life in Christ makes Orthodoxy very graspable and relatable, but is perhaps geared largely to Protestants who would have particular difficulties coming to Orthodoxy, such as the ever-virginity of Mary or asking intercessions of the Saints, which Catholics wouldn't likely struggle with. But they have many other topics as well which are helpful. :)

God be with you!

Hello,

Over the last few years I moved from a Baptist church to a Catholic one. My family is Catholic, but I was not. I am struggling to be Catholic, but could not return to the Baptist church - it's just not historically the Church.

I seem to be finding some of this issues I have with the Catholic Church don't exist in Orthodoxy.

Can anyone recommend any articles, audio, or books that are not too long, that would give me the basics of Orthodoxy? Not trying to take the easy route - but I have a family and a small business, so I don't have time to read a long book right now.

I am especially interested in the Orthodox view of grace - as the little I have read on it is pretty straight forward compared to the Catholic actual grace, sanctifying graces, and other "graces" you get when you do certain things.

I have been listening to Ancient Faith Radio, and Fr. Seraphim on the Dove - and they are just excellent. I have started fasting as more normal part of life, by their recommendation, and so far it's a great thing.

I would really like to learn enough to live my Lent and Easter (do Orthodox not call it Easter?) this year in an Orthodox way if possible.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm still discerning between EO and RC. Currently WELS. I have rejected conservative Anglican as there is no parish for hundreds of miles, and lack of apostolic sucession.
Was baptized and confirmed LCMS, went to Calvary Chapel for awhile out of high school, recommited my life to Christ in 89 and returned to Calvary Chapel, returned to Lutheran(ELCA)left that and became WELS .

It seems you'd more st likely be interested in what distinguishes EO from RC, doctrinally and in practice, as well as ethos, then. We have plenty of threads, but feel free to ask away. :)

I'm not sure if I should suggest that St. Justin's might be better, since such threads tend to invite debate. Or if that might make too much a free-for-all for you, lol. But probably St. Justin's is better. You can ask in TAW proper, but forum rules are supposed to prevent non-Orthodox teaching in here. I don't like polemics, but when it's me, I usually prefer to hear both sides of the issue anyway.

Please do feel free to ask anything you'd like though. :)

And God be with you!

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I did consider RCC but I have an fairly extensive background in religious history (in fact, one of my bachelors is in Religious Studies). I quickly felt that Lutherans and RCC are always arguing the exact same points for the last 500 years. As a result, I had a problem with their entire approach to theology. As I started reading various Orthodox books, I believed that the EO was relatively unaffected by the problems that Western Christians had been fighting over. When I took my wife to a Greek Orthodox church (we joined a different one), she simply came out and said, "that's it, this is home".

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there!

Went back and re-read your first post. Lent is fast approaching and has been on my mind a little. :)

One thing I benefited from a lot and have listened to more than once, and will hopefully listen to again this year, is the Our Life in Christ series on the Prayer of St. Emphaim for Great Lent. The Prayer of St. Ephraim | Ancient Faith Ministries

Thought I'd mention that. :)

So many podcasts have special series or episodes for Great Lent or Pascha. That's the one that immediately comes to my mind though. Our Life in Christ makes Orthodoxy very graspable and relatable, but is perhaps geared largely to Protestants who would have particular difficulties coming to Orthodoxy, such as the ever-virginity of Mary or asking intercessions of the Saints, which Catholics wouldn't likely struggle with. But they have many other topics as well which are helpful. :)

God be with you!
Thanks Anastasia! yes I will do that. I also don't want to further derail this thread. In my case, I have already worked through things such as Sola Scriptura, (no longer believe in it) Mary, Sacred Tradition, ect, through my own study of RC. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church(CCC)but RC still has issues I couldn't agree with.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did consider RCC but I have an fairly extensive background in religious history (in fact, one of my bachelors is in Religious Studies). I quickly felt that Lutherans and RCC are always arguing the exact same points for the last 500 years. As a result, I had a problem with their entire approach to theology. As I started reading various Orthodox books, I believed that the EO was relatively unaffected by the problems that Western Christians had been fighting over. When I took my wife to a Greek Orthodox church (we joined a different one), she simply came out and said, "that's it, this is home".
Thanks GO! Yes I'm coming to the same conclusion. I'm still wondering why I first felt led to the RCC(through myself and DH's involvement in the pro-life moverment-but now have felt so drawn to the EO. I can't trust myself and my own feelings, and I don't have a formal education besides a high school diploma either(have taken some non trad student courses) but there were things about the RCC, as much as I love and respect her, and even though I was so enamoured of JPII, that I just can't hang with. I just want to make sure I would be joining the Church Jesus founded. (of course the RC claims they are that) Currently reading Fr. Shanbour's "Know The Faith." and strongly considering Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy next. And of course, can't wait to actually attend DL.
Orthodoxy just seems so balanced. In every way.
I just want to stop changing denominations and come home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks GO! Yes I'm coming to the same conclusion. I'm still wondering why I first felt led to the RCC(through myself and DH's involvement in the pro-life moverment-but now have felt so drawn to the EO. I can't trust myself and my own feelings, and I don't have a formal education besides a high school diploma either(have taken some non trad student courses) but there were things about the RCC, as much as I love and respect her, and even though I was so enamoured of JPII, that I just can't hang with. I just want to make sure I would be joining the Church Jesus founded. (of course the RC claims they are that) Currently reading Fr. Shanbour's "Know The Faith." and strongly considering Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy next. And of course, can't wait to actually attend DL.
Orthodoxy just seems so balanced. In every way.
I just want to stop changing denominations and come home.

We felt the same way about bouncing. There are only two negatives we have experienced in choosing EO over RC. First, we live 75 miles from our EO parish. With small children this is turning out to be very difficult. Second, we were very involved in social service through in our faith. This is more prevalent in RC than EO. However, the first continues to be our largest struggle.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We felt the same way about bouncing. There are only two negatives we have experienced in choosing EO over RC. First, we live 75 miles from our EO parish. With small children this is turning out to be very difficult. Second, we were very involved in social service through in our faith. This is more prevalent in RC than EO. However, the first continues to be our largest struggle.
Well the EO is very visible and heavily present at the March for Life in the U.S. in January. Much more so than any Protestant group or denomination although there are of course many pro-life evangelicals that attend-so that warms my heart.
As far as leadership goes, RC and EO are the most visible ones in D.C. on that day. On the other hand EO churches are so rare in this area that that may be one reason no social programs-like you see with the Catholics, for example.
As far as distance, yeah I hear you on that one. Same here. about 75 miles. Plus we live in a big winter climate with a lot of wind, so there would be days I definitely wouldn't be driving down there, in the winter. No small children, though!
Coming Spring will be different though! (though we've had blizzards in MAY!!)

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well the EO is very visible and heavily present at the March for Life in the U.S. in January. Much more so than any Protestant group or denomination although there are of course many pro-life evangelicals that attend-so that warms my heart.
As far as leadership goes, RC and EO are the most visible ones in D.C. on that day. On the other hand EO churches are so rare in this area that that may be one reason no social programs-like you see with the Catholics, for example.
As far as distance, yeah I hear you on that one. Same here. about 75 miles. Plus we live in a big winter climate with a lot of wind, so there would be days I definitely wouldn't be driving down there, in the winter. No small children, though!
Coming Spring will be different though! (though we've had blizzards in MAY!!)

I think the thing that makes a long distance sustainable is the completeness of the Orthodox life. Your home becomes a chapel. Your life becomes a prayer. You are moving forward together with all Orthodox Christians.

When we last visited the Catholic Mass, I noticed that we were mainly spectators. Even my kids noticed that you just sat there. It is easy to see where Protestantism gets that aspect of their personality. In Orthodoxy you are never a spectator. Orthodoxy is what we are and what we do. Although I don't want to miss Liturgy for any length of time, the faith and practice of Orthodoxy will keep us moving forward when we do miss. I think of Saint Mary of Egypt as an extreme example of uniting with Christ while absent from the presence of others.

Again, it is not ideal, but I am learning that there is great grace to struggle.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the thing that makes a long distance sustainable is the completeness of the Orthodox life. Your home becomes a chapel. Your life becomes a prayer. You are moving forward together with all Orthodox Christians.

When we last visited the Catholic Mass, I noticed that we were mainly spectators. Even my kids noticed that you just sat there. It is easy to see where Protestantism gets that aspect of their personality. In Orthodoxy you are never a spectator. Orthodoxy is what we are and what we do. Although I don't want to miss Liturgy for any length of time, the faith and practice of Orthodoxy will keep us moving forward when we do miss. I think of Saint Mary of Egypt as an extreme example of uniting with Christ while absent from the presence of others.

Again, it is not ideal, but I am learning that there is great grace to struggle.
Very well said. And very true.

I often like to use the commute to listen to podcasts as well ... often being very selective of what I listen to especially before Church. I tend to save the more informative teachers and focus on what I find inspiring.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums