Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Celebrated with no Divine authority to do so...
Since every ancient Church celebrated the liturgy on Sunday, both within the borders of the Roman empire and without, we can know with certainty that the practice was instituted by the Apostles.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since every ancient Church celebrated the liturgy on Sunday, both within the borders of the Roman empire and without, we can know with certainty that the practice was instituted by the Apostles.
And yet still no Divine authority... you would have thought Jesus would have made mention of something as HUGE as changing a Commandment that eliminated reference to creation and the Creator. In fact, in order to be considered part of any new covenant, the decree would have to be given before the death of the one who sealed the deal with His blood. Don't recall that happening, do you?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You don't think the Apostles had Divine Authority? There goes the New Testament :doh:
OK... show me ONE verse that definitively shows the transference of God Holy day from Sabbath to Sunday.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's it, I'm not 'standing on simple math', see. I am standing on John 1:10,11; 17,18, Jesus Christ now being the Law of God.

Jesus said "if you would enter into life KEEP the Commandments" -- then Jesus was asked "Which ONES"?

Question - did He say "I am the Law of God now -- keep ME"?

What did He actually say -- given that we don't want to make anything up - what did HE say?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK... show me ONE verse that definitively shows the transference of God Holy day from Sabbath to Sunday.
1. I am not arguing the above.
2. Are you of the opinion that only the written testimony of the Apostles has authority, and that what ever else they said and did does not have authority?

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said "if you would enter into life KEEP the Commandments" -- then Jesus was asked "Which ONES"?

What did He actually say -- given that we don't want to make anything up - what did HE say?
The the quote of Jesus by John a personal disciple of Jesus is lying in John 10. That isn't making anything up. Isn't it you who says details matter and we aren't supposed to notice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that D.L. Moody also affirms the Bible detail that the Sabbath was given to mankind in Eden - Genesis 2:1-3

No he doesn't.
yes he does :)

You're free to prove he does. .

I did that a few dozen times .. you a free to prove he did not write it

1 John 5 quoted above - but as I understand it some folks like to see all the text from John that can be included on-topic... so for them. Jesus affirms scripture - and the fact that His words are not His own - but rather the Father's Commandments.

================================

John 14
9 Jesus *said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.

John 12
49 For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. 50 I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”

Matt 19
17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19 Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

=============================

D.L. Moody not entirely opposed to John 14:15 --

1. agrees that the Sabbath was binding on all mankind - starting in Eden.

========================================
D.L. Moody notices that some are opposed to the Sabbath Commandment - but notice how this sermon on the TEN Commandments also fits the summary of 7 points listed here on page 1??

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS text by D. L. Moody

BY THE
DWIGHT L. MOODY
The Ten Commandments:
Exodus 20:2-17

The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

[FONT=&quot]THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place.
"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was
- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes;

------------------------------------------

This Sabbath Commandment section of Moody's Ten Commandment sermon goes quot]on with more detail. Here is a segment of that same section -- the ending concluding segment - that might help shed even more light on Moody's Intent - #229 post is on this

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's it, I'm not 'standing on simple math', see. I am standing on John 1:10,11; 17,18, Jesus Christ now being the Law of God.

The the quote of Jesus by John a personal disciple of Jesus is lying in John 10. .

What an odd statement to make

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How do you reason this?... is it now ok to disregard the clear instruction of the 6th Commandment as the 4th has been disregarded?
You're not asking if it's OK to ignore some of the ten commandments. You're asking if it's OK to sin and applying that to a rescinded law. A rescinded law has no authority.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

What an odd statement to make
Yes it's an odd statement to believe Jesus. Jesus said all who try to enter heaven other than through the Door are thieves and robbers. In the same chapter Jesus also says all who came before Him are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them John 10:8. Details matter, remember.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you see the significance of not taking the Lord's name in vain? Is the Commandment to not steal fulfilled in Christ? If you recognize and observe the other 9 Commandments, in letter and in spirit, what makes the 4th different? They were all written in stone by God's own finger.... the4th Commandment is the only one that God started with "remember". It is the only one that references creation and thereby giving homage to the One whom the Commandments are a reflection of. You remove the 4th Commandment, then you remove the God of creation. I think we can all see that happening in our society today... maybe the Sabbath Commandment is more important than most people think. God thought so....
Yes the commandment to not steal is fuflfilled in and by Jesus (Luke 24:44). Does that mean we're free to sin? No. Does that mean we keep the law by not sinning? No, John 13:34 and Luke 6:31.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How is doing anything that God has asked "required of a Christian"? Is not taking God's name in vain a requirement of a Christian? how about not to steal from others?

The 7th day Sabbath is not just about a day... it is recognizing Him as our Creator. About honouring the day He Sanctified and Hallowed (set apart for Holy purpose). It is mentioned in the Bible that in the new earth, the redeemed will be gathering and worshipping before God on the Sabbath.

Why would He not expect us to honour this day?

It was set up at Creation, it is a covenant between Him and His people, it was written on stone with is own finger, Jesus said that He was Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus said the Sabbath was made for mankind, the apostles observed the Sabbath after the cross. Of all the Commandments, it is the one spoken about the most in the Bible...it is the Commandment God said to remember, because He knew we would neglect it.
Anything the Christian is to do isn't because of the law. There's no such thing as obedience by incidence as buggy would say. He also point out many people who aren't Christians don't steal and will tell you what to do with your religion in short undeniable order.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If there is no verse in the Bible that nullifies this Commandment, then what are you standing on? If you are not doing as God has Commanded, then you are transgressing... simple math. 1 John 3:4 says "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

Don't risk your eternity on manmade tradition...
Yes the Bible does by replacement of that covenant without requiring compliance to the replaced covenant.

Your quote from 1 John does not say sin is only transgression of the law. Romans 5:13 says sin was before the law. That disallows your view. I won't bother with the passages that say the law is over at this time. If you want to argue I will.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Those are commandments, however, human beings are not capable of fulfilling them to merit salvation. That means we are not justified by keeping those commandments. We are justified through Christ's completed work.
Amen righteousness doesn't come by the law (Galatians 2:21).

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nobody said we are justified by them but it is our duty to honour God and keep them.... all 10. You would never even contemplate breaking the 6th commandment.... why is the 4th different when God hasn't made it different?
Yes you have by using 1 John 3:4 out of context. Your argument is if one doesn't keep the law specifically the sabbath they aren't a saved Christian. In-other-words in your view not keeping the sabbath is unrepentant wilful sin proving one isn't a Christian.

Upvote 0