Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not even the 6th Commandment which tells us not to kill is any longer to be observed 'as written in the Law'.

How do you reason this?... is it now ok to disregard the clear instruction of the 6th Commandment as the 4th has been disregarded?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand the significance to sabbath observance that some attach to it, as a marker for who are and who are not true Christians. Christ fulfilled all obligations under the Law, and he did so vicariously for his people.

It's not that we neglect the Sabbath commandment, we just see it as fulfilled in Christ.
Do you see the significance of not taking the Lord's name in vain? Is the Commandment to not steal fulfilled in Christ? If you recognize and observe the other 9 Commandments, in letter and in spirit, what makes the 4th different? They were all written in stone by God's own finger.... the4th Commandment is the only one that God started with "remember". It is the only one that references creation and thereby giving homage to the One whom the Commandments are a reflection of. You remove the 4th Commandment, then you remove the God of creation. I think we can all see that happening in our society today... maybe the Sabbath Commandment is more important than most people think. God thought so....

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you see the significance of not taking the Lord's name in vain? Is the Commandment to not steal fulfilled in Christ? If you recognize and observe the other 9 Commandments, in letter and in spirit, what makes the 4th different? They were all written in stone by God's own finger.... the4th Commandment is the only one that God started with "remember". It is the only one that references creation and thereby giving homage to the One whom the Commandments are a reflection of. You remove the 4th Commandment, then you remove the God of creation. I think we can all see that happening in our society today... maybe the Sabbath Commandment is more important than most people think. God thought so....

You can keep the Sabbath as your conscience dictates (Romans 14:5), but I fail to see how holding any particular day as sacred is absolutely required of a Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You can keep the Sabbath as your conscience dictates (Romans 14:5), but I fail to see how holding any particular day as sacred is absolutely required of a Christian.
How is doing anything that God has asked "required of a Christian"? Is not taking God's name in vain a requirement of a Christian? how about not to steal from others?

The 7th day Sabbath is not just about a day... it is recognizing Him as our Creator. About honouring the day He Sanctified and Hallowed (set apart for Holy purpose). It is mentioned in the Bible that in the new earth, the redeemed will be gathering and worshipping before God on the Sabbath.

Why would He not expect us to honour this day?

It was set up at Creation, it is a covenant between Him and His people, it was written on stone with is own finger, Jesus said that He was Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus said the Sabbath was made for mankind, the apostles observed the Sabbath after the cross. Of all the Commandments, it is the one spoken about the most in the Bible...it is the Commandment God said to remember, because He knew we would neglect it.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Have I, once, tried to show or used one verse to show the 7th day Sabbath was nullified by God, or by his Son? No, I have not.
Nevertheless, 'the 7th day Sabbath' is no longer 'to be observed as written in the Law'.

If there is no verse in the Bible that nullifies this Commandment, then what are you standing on? If you are not doing as God has Commanded, then you are transgressing... simple math. 1 John 3:4 says "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

Don't risk your eternity on manmade tradition...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
How is doing anything that God has asked "required of a Christian"? Is not taking God's name in vain a requirement of a Christian? how about not to steal from others?

Those are commandments, however, human beings are not capable of fulfilling them to merit salvation. That means we are not justified by keeping those commandments. We are justified through Christ's completed work.

• Agree
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is mentioned in the Bible that in the new earth, the redeemed will be gathering and worshipping before God on the Sabbath.
It says "And it shall come to pass from month to month, and from week to week, all flesh shall come to worship before me in Jerusalem, saith the Lord." (Isaiah 66:23)
It means that all will worship God continuously, not that they will worship once a week.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those are commandments, however, human beings are not capable of fulfilling them to merit salvation. That means we are not justified by keeping those commandments. We are justified through Christ's completed work.
Nobody said we are justified by them but it is our duty to honour God and keep them.... all 10. You would never even contemplate breaking the 6th commandment.... why is the 4th different when God hasn't made it different?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It says "And it shall come to pass from month to month, and from week to week, all flesh shall come to worship before me in Jerusalem, saith the Lord." (Isaiah 66:23)
It means that all will worship God continuously, not that they will worship once a week.
Not sure what translation that is but the Masoretic specifically says Sabbath to Sabbath.... you have a valid argument for month to month though....

Isaiah 66:23
And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath also translates as week. The new heaven and the new earth is not created in six days with God resting on the seventh.
Please show me your source for the Masoretic translating to week.... thanx

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please show me your source for the Masoretic translating to week.... thanx
Try the Septuagint.
Regardless, from the Hebrew
Strong's Number: 07676

Definition
  1. Sabbath
    1. sabbath
    2. day of atonement
    3. sabbath year
    4. week
    5. produce (in sabbath year)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there is no verse in the Bible that nullifies this Commandment, then what are you standing on? If you are not doing as God has Commanded, then you are transgressing... simple math. 1 John 3:4 says "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

Don't risk your eternity on manmade tradition...

That's it, I'm not 'standing on simple math', see. I am standing on John 1:10,11; 17,18, Jesus Christ now being the Law of God.

But I'll ask you a counter question, 1 John 3:4 says, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." Now, If anyone transgresses "also the Law", does he not in the first place, commit sin against Jesus Christ, who after all, is, "The Word"--God's Word, his Law-Word? Wherein will any follow and obey Jesus Christ in disregarding and dishonouring and demeaning the Sabbath of the LORD GOD" if He is "YOUR" God, and the Sabbath is the Sabbath HE, "the Son of Man, is Lord of"?!

For sin is transgression against the Living God, not also, but firstly and always! And the only way to escape from this truth, is to reject the "Scriptures concerning the Christ" like the Jews and atheists and pagan religions and Christian cults AND CHURCHES, are doing.

Why has this question never come up in the heart of Seventh day Adventists, I wonder!?

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath also translates as week. The new heaven and the new earth is not created in six days with God resting on the seventh.

'Sabbath translate(d) as week', is from Genitive Plural 'sabbatohn' IN PHRASE
without Article, "on the First (Day) of the week"-- 'tehi Miai (Hehmerai) sabbatohn' Luke 24:1;
or, IN PHRASE
with Article, "on the First (Day) of the week"-- 'tehi Miai (Hehmerai) tohn sabbatohn' Mark 16:2 Acts 20:7;
or,
'Sabbath translate(d) as week', is from Genitive Singular 'sabbatou' IN PHRASE
without Article, "on the First (Day) of the week"-- 'Mian (Hehmeran) sabbatou' 1Corinthians 16:2 "on the First (Day) of the week"-- 'Prohtehi (Hehmerai) sabbatou' Mark 16:9.

But,
'translate(d) as' "Sabbath/Sabbaths" the last and Seventh Day of the week, is translated from
Genitive Plural without Article, 'Sabbatohn'-- "Sabbath" / "on the Sabbath" Matthew 28:1;
or, is translated from
Genitive Singular with Article, 'tou Sabbatou'-- "the Sabbath was past" Mark 16:1.

The phrase is the real distinguishing factor of whether the weekly Sabbath is meant or some other day of the week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It means both.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Titus 3:9,10
The reference in those verses you posted about law is not speaking of the Royal Law but of common legal matters. The Greek word used is nomikos which means one learned in the law.... a lawyer.

How you discerned that this passage was negating the Decalogue ie: that the 6th Commandment was not relevant, is beyond me.

No "thus sayeth the Lord" or "it is written" but an obscure verse dealing with contention with lawyers is your defense for ignoring the Law written by God's own finger on tablets of stone.... interesting.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's it, I'm not 'standing on simple math', see. I am standing on John 1:10,11; 17,18, Jesus Christ now being the Law of God.

But I'll ask you a counter question, 1 John 3:4 says, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." Now, If anyone transgresses "also the Law", does he not in the first place, commit sin against Jesus Christ, who after all, is, "The Word"--God's Word, his Law-Word? Wherein will any follow and obey Jesus Christ in disregarding and dishonouring and demeaning the Sabbath of the LORD GOD" if He is "YOUR" God, and the Sabbath is the Sabbath HE, "the Son of Man, is Lord of"?!

For sin is transgression against the Living God, not also, but firstly and always! And the only way to escape from this truth, is to reject the "Scriptures concerning the Christ" like the Jews and atheists and pagan religions and Christian cults AND CHURCHES, are doing.

Why has this question never come up in the heart of Seventh day Adventists, I wonder!?
Of course to transgress the Law is to sin.... therefore, why do men not obey the Law so they don't sin against God? Jesus is the spiritual fulfillment of the 4th Commandment but that does not do away with the admonition to keep the 7th day Holy any more than not being in anger towards a brother negates the 6th Commandment to not kill.

The Commandment is simple in it's construction...

-Remember the Sabbath to keep it Holy. (don't do your own pleasure on that day... focus on God and Righteous things.
-Not do any temporal work that could have been done in the other six days.
-Do not allow anyone in your house to do temporal work on the Sabbath.
-Worship God as Creator and contemplate His creation and grow close to Him and receive the blessing He has promised for those that are obedient to Him.

Doesn't seem like a tall order as some would contend. It's not grievous to obey God in this way... rather it is a delight to those that love God.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Remember when Jesus said this...
Matthew 5:21-23
Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:

He was referencing the 6th Commandment but then expounding on what the spiritual application was. It's the same with the 4th Commandment. The 7th day Sabbath is still to be observed as written in the Law just as the 6th Commandment tells us not to kill. But then He expounded on the 4th and showed us the spiritual application...that Jesus is our rest.

So, I answered your ONE verse inquiry.. can you now answer mine? One verse that shows the 7th day Sabbath was nullified by God or His Son.
It has been done and discarded as untrue, even the words of Jesus.

Upvote 0