• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Infant Baptism

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Baileyscave, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Servant of Yeshua

Servant of Yeshua Member

+69
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    PLease reconsider infant baptism. I do understand how it is hard to go against traditions. But honestly your child needs to make this decision for him or herself. Baby dedication is appropriate. You promise to teach your child about the Lord and be a godly example. You also promise to pray for your child. My children were so glad that I did not choose for them. Do not take that choice away from them. Revelation 3:14-20. Behold I stand at the door.... each person needs to answer the door themselves. The bible says: Repent and be baptised. Baptising an infant will make other adults happy, but you will be taking away one of the most beautiful expressions that your child can decide for his or herself one day. It is sort of like an arranged marriage. How special is that ?
    And confirmation...well, everyone shows up at the same age and does it at the same time. Also, not special because is it not done without parental prompting.

2. christine40

christine40 Well-Known Member

+7,172
    United States
    Christian
    Married

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. Johan_1988

Johan_1988 Active Member

+148
    South Africa
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Hi, I was born in the Dutch reformed church and was baptized as an infant at about 3 months old. I can tell you there is no real benefit to it. After messing up my life completely I was preached a biblical gospel got saved and realized those things were doctrines of men since they are not mentioned in scripture. I comes directly from roman Catholicism and should have no place in reformed theology. I was baptized with full immersion after I was born again and man did it make a difference in my life.

Such interpretations is what messed up my life since I ended up making scripture to what someone explained to me and not what it really is. I have a direct interpretation now and it's wonderful.No needing to scratch my head about things anymore even if I don't understand them. I accept it by faith and the answers come.

So dear sister, I mean not to offend you ,but I give you advice as someone whom had grown up with it. You can do it if you'd like, but as I see it, it's completely meaningless and useless.

4. christine40

+7,172
    United States
    Christian
    Married

5. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,824
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes ... and not just children ... when I came to the Lord I didn't go to a church at all .... when I sought out to be baptized I was turned away from many churches due to "their requirements".

6. christine40

+7,172
    United States
    Christian
    Married

7. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+6,793
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Pentecostals would fall under the Believers Baptism as well - and agreed on the rest of the post. Dedication definitely isn’t the same as baptism.

8. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,402
    Catholic
    Married
    While Scripture is vague on this the ancient churches, in the east, such as the Eastern Orthodox, and in the west, the Roman Catholic Church, have practiced infant baptism since time immemorial.

9. lsume

lsume Well-Known Member Supporter

+373
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Baptism of The Holy Spirit is the Baptism that makes one Born Again. Christening young children is somewhat common.

10. Johan_1988

Johan_1988 Active Member

+148
    South Africa
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Hi pops, sorry to say ,but if that was true then all the disciples on the day of Pentecost only became born again that day and was not born again the whole time they were with Jesus.

11. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+25,124
    Anglican
    Married
    Right. I had the feeling that I'd forgotten somebody. I think that was it.:sorry:

12. All4Christ

+6,793
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Originally coming from a Pentecostal background, it’s the first one I think of!

13. All4Christ

+6,793
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Brethren Churches, Mennonites and all Anabaptists also would fall under it (in addition to the Amish) :)

14. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,118
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Ultimately, it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that is important. Only God gives us this gift and He gives it to true believers for the purpose of regeneration and entrance into the Kingdom of God. All children before the age of accountability are in the Kingdom of God. Water baptism is only symbolic and has no redeeming powers. So that being said, baptize your infant yourself. This is just as meaningful maybe even more than having a Pastor perform the ritual as your child is already in the book of life until they make their decision.
    Blessings

15. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,064
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    What difference did the believers baptism do for you?

I was baptized as baby and then persuaded to be baptised again as a believer. There was no difference in my life after my believers baptism. I was almost expecting something to happen, but nope.

16. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,291
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I think it's supposed to be a public proclamation of faith. Infants cannot do this.

17. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,402
    Catholic
    Married
    Historically the church has taught that the faith of the family members and community stand in for the infant, salvation being both a corporate and personal experience (Acts 16:31). All of us can play a role in advancing God's kingdom and the infant is expected to carry on with his or her own faith as they reach the age, fulfilling their baptismal vows-or otherwise.

18. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,291
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I'm sure you could put Noah's family alongside that scripture from Acts. I digress, I was baptized and confirmed in Catholicism, but it was empty ritualism until I actually believed and came to saving faith and being born again. I was expected to be Catholic by those sacraments, but I did not have living faith in me then. I expect this is true of many others especially within catholicism. (No offense intended)

19. Toro

Toro Oh, Hello!

+11,794
    Christian
    Married
    I believe that an infant baptism is between God and the parents.

A symbol of the parent giving their child over to Him and to do with that child as He wills. Sickness, health no matter what is to happen to that child a symbol to God of trust for His will to be done and trusting no matter what it looks like to the eyes of the parents that all He allows that child to go through, is in the end for benefit of their child.

I do not believe that the baptism is a symbol of the child's salvation, merely a symbol of the faith those parents have, much the same as Abraham put Isaac on the alter trusting that even though he was to put his son on the alter, that whatever came of it was for the best.

I do not believe it to be a symbol of salvation to the child as they get older, because that would be the will of the parents that the child accept Christ, not the child's own free will to declare that acceptance.

I personally believe that an infant "baptism" is useless UNLESS one enters such an event by direction of the Spirit where both parents have counted the cost of giving their child up to the will of God and to allow Him to use the child as He wills.... sometimes His will is not pleasant or comfortable.

In which case, why devote your child to God, but then question why He allowed "insert any circumstance here" to happen.

If you make such a public declaration, mean it.

20. twin.spin

twin.spin Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding

+258
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod (WELS) and the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) does.