• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Infant Baptism

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Baileyscave, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:48 AM.

1. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Some say a lot of things ;o) What they believe is up to them.

A baby does not know good from evil.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings.

Supporting Scripture:
    Romans 6:1-6 Colossians 2:12, 13 Acts 16:30-33; 22:16; 2:38; Matthew 28:19, 20.

2. brightlights

brightlights A sinner

+275
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Most Christian denominations baptize babies, but for different reasons. Why do you want to have your kids baptized?

3. Tim Davidson

Tim Davidson New Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Guys she didn’t start this thread for a discussion on infant baptism.

She started the thread for church recommendations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. PoppyB

PoppyB Active Member

+192
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Have your child blessed or 'welcomed' by all means but baptising infants is not biblical.

5. Servant of Yeshua

Servant of Yeshua Love UR Enemies, Pray 4 those who persecute U

+63
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I didn't realize that poop in a diaper was a sin???? I hope you were joking. The early church started out great and then even by the time Paul was making his travels most of them had royally messed up in many ways. Infant baptism was started for financial gain of the church as was payment after death for souls to get out of pergatory ect. and to calm the fear of parents who were afraid their child would not choose Christ. Think about the nature of God. Repent....and be baptized. The thief on the cross did not need to be baptised to be in paradise with Christ. He also did not need to do good works. But Jesus was baptized and therefore if you are able, we are to also.

Perhaps we should wonder whether Hitler and other horrendously evil people were baptised and whether that meant absolutely anything at all spiritually for them.

Parents can make promises to raise a child a certain way, as in dedication (like Jesus was dedicated).
    But we are all here on Earth to make a choice for or against the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus will knock on the heart of every person. Behold, I stand at the door and knock.... Revelation 3:14-20. It is OUR choice to open the door to let Him in.

To be baptized is to publicly identify oneself with Christ. Without choosing Christ as their savior themselves when he or she is at the age when they can understand that they need a savior, if that person dies without personally choosing for him or herself Christ as their savior, they will NOT enter heaven with Jesus regardless or whether their parents had him or her sprinkled with water as an infant. So why not dedicate and let the baptism up to the individual. It will certainly mean something when he or she chooses it for him or herself.

Honestly, infant baptism is very harmful to the spiritual maturity of individuals. It is akin to people living together instead of getting married in front of God. People are spiritually saying that they are living with God, but never making the commitment in front of others because they feel like oh well I was baptised already as an infant.

I could care less what "church" traditions say. Infant baptism goes against all common sense of what it means to "open the door" when Christ knocks. It is said over and over in the bible, "Repent and be baptized".

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM
  6. Tim Davidson

Tim Davidson New Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Guys the OP is asking for recommendations of Churches that practice infant baptism.

She is not asking for a debate on infant baptism.

7. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,330
    Christian
    Private
  8. Servant of Yeshua

Servant of Yeshua Love UR Enemies, Pray 4 those who persecute U

+63
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    PLease reconsider infant baptism. I do understand how it is hard to go against traditions. But honestly your child needs to make this decision for him or herself. Baby dedication is appropriate. You promise to teach your child about the Lord and be a godly example. You also promise to pray for your child. My children were so glad that I did not choose for them. Do not take that choice away from them. Revelation 3:14-20. Behold I stand at the door.... each person needs to answer the door themselves. The bible says: Repent and be baptised. Baptising an infant will make other adults happy, but you will be taking away one of the most beautiful expressions that your child can decide for his or herself one day. It is sort of like an arranged marriage. How special is that ?
    And confirmation...well, everyone shows up at the same age and does it at the same time. Also, not special because is it not done without parental prompting.

9. christine40

christine40 Well-Known Member

+5,444
    United States
    Christian
    Married

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:22 PM
  10. Tim Davidson

Tim Davidson New Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Please do not listen to this poster and do have your child baptized.

Revelation 3:14-20 was written to the church of Laodicea and not to us as individuals.

Jesus was at the door of the church not at an individuals heart.

I pray that you will take my advice and explore the LCMS.

11. Johan_1988

Johan_1988 New Member

+30
    South Africa
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Hi, I was born in the Dutch reformed church and was baptized as an infant at about 3 months old. I can tell you there is no real benefit to it. After messing up my life completely I was preached a biblical gospel got saved and realized those things were doctrines of men since they are not mentioned in scripture. I comes directly from roman Catholicism and should have no place in reformed theology. I was baptized with full immersion after I was born again and man did it make a difference in my life.

Such interpretations is what messed up my life since I ended up making scripture to what someone explained to me and not what it really is. I have a direct interpretation now and it's wonderful.No needing to scratch my head about things anymore even if I don't understand them. I accept it by faith and the answers come.

So dear sister, I mean not to offend you ,but I give you advice as someone whom had grown up with it. You can do it if you'd like, but as I see it, it's completely meaningless and useless.

12. Tim Davidson

Tim Davidson New Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    @Albion Already provided an adequate answer to this thread in post #5.

13. christine40

+5,444
    United States
    Christian
    Married

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:22 PM
  14. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes ... and not just children ... when I came to the Lord I didn't go to a church at all .... when I sought out to be baptized I was turned away from many churches due to "their requirements".

15. Tim Davidson

Tim Davidson New Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Her question was, “which churches baptize infants” and @Albion provided the answer.

16. christine40

+5,444
    United States
    Christian
    Married

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM
  17. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,106
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Pentecostals would fall under the Believers Baptism as well - and agreed on the rest of the post. Dedication definitely isn’t the same as baptism.

18. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,065
    Catholic
    Married
    While Scripture is vague on this the ancient churches, in the east, such as the Eastern Orthodox, and in the west, the Roman Catholic Church, have practiced infant baptism since time immemorial.

19. lsume

lsume Active Member Supporter

+182
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Baptism of The Holy Spirit is the Baptism that makes one Born Again. Christening young children is somewhat common.

20. Johan_1988

Johan_1988 New Member

+30
    South Africa
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Hi pops, sorry to say ,but if that was true then all the disciples on the day of Pentecost only became born again that day and was not born again the whole time they were with Jesus.