✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And later in Rom 5:12-13, God declares how:
"So then, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin, so also death spread to all people because all sinned. 13 For even before the law was given, sin was in the world."

There is no infant exception excuses to …
"wages of sin is death" Rom 6:23

"death spread to all people because all sinned" Rom 5:12

"Everyone
has turned away, all have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one." Psalm_53:3

It is speaking specifically about the sinful nature and death that is inherited from Adam . Sin is an act or deed.
It is a transgression of the law:
1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Also if there is no law , there is no sin:
Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

In the case of an infant. They do not know it since they do not know the law. How can someone be accountable for something they don't know? Because that is what you are implying here.

Upvote 0

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I’m not sending anybody to hell. What you written doesn’t seem to include a lot of Scripture.

Sure I get that you're not sending anyone to hell. I included scripture here. I only boldend important parts and the rest are to provide the context. I made quite clear the conditions for salvation. I don't like long winded explanations which are based on idea's of men. Sorry to say that, but it's true. Treating Martin Luther like his teachings are infallible is the biggest mistake of the reformed church in my point of view. He only got it good enough for people to get born again.

Upvote 0

Words1234

Jul 15, 2019
Miami
✟8,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
I realize I have been going to a church that does not baptism infants, and that my husband and I really feel strongly about baptizing our infant daughter. We have already dedicated several months to our current church, but I am thinking this may be a deal breaker. I strongly believe in making this covenant to God. I know there are baby dedication ceremonies from some churches, but I don't know if they are quite the same as an infant baptism theologically speaking. The type of church we are currently attending is a reformed Baptist, and in the almost 6 months we have been attending we have not seen or heard of an adult baptism let alone a dedication or infant baptism. I think I already know the answer if I asked them, but that leaves me with this question...what type of churches DO believe in infant baptism?
I realize I have been going to a church that does not baptism infants, and that my husband and I really feel strongly about baptizing our infant daughter. We have already dedicated several months to our current church, but I am thinking this may be a deal breaker. I strongly believe in making this covenant to God. I know there are baby dedication ceremonies from some churches, but I don't know if they are quite the same as an infant baptis
baileyscave s said, "I realize I have been going to a church that does not baptism infants, and that my husband and I really feel strongly about baptizing our infant daughter."

Ma'am, have you taken this matter to the Scriptures to learn and start believing what doctrine on this matter is what God says???
m theologically speaking. The type of church we are currently attending is a reformed Baptist, and in the almost 6 months we have been attending we have not seen or heard of an adult baptism let alone a dedication or infant baptism. I think I already know the answer if I asked them, but that leaves me with this question...what type of churches DO believe in infant baptism?

Upvote 0

Servant of Yeshua

Jan 17, 2019
Northern Hemisphere
✟14,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Servant of Yahweh,

To be clear, I do not denigrate the solemnity of the dedication ceremony, the commitment of the parents, or any of that.

What I do point out, though, is that it is an entirely artificial ritual, not scriptural, and has nothing over infant baptism which does everything that you describe with your own children as a result of the dedication ceremony. More, in fact.

Jesus Was Dedicated Luke 2:21-40

And then he told them, "Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned."(Mark 16:15-16)

Upvote 0

Baileyscave

Feb 20, 2017
Pottstown,pa
✟9,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Soo...my head is still spinning!

We are actively looking into a church that will be willing to baptize, and still balancing theology with clear winners the Methodist church, Lutheran, or Episcopal (an extreme outlier is the Catholic Church but coming from a Protestant background I would have a lot to learn). We have spoken to clergy at 2 of the 3 choices, and we plan to make visits.

This has been frustrating, but good for us spiritually. We are "immature" Christian's admittedly with core theology going over our heads. We talked to a Pastor at our current independent, fundamental church, which we were going for months. We were increasingly getting frustrated, and they told us we dedicate children and you must become members. So I went online and followed line by line in their beliefs, and just do not agree with their beliefs. Especially had trouble with believing "the Bible as the Inerrant word of God", "disregarding the apostacy", "KJV only", and "Dispensationalism". We countered this by trying to attend a very contemporary Mega Church last week that believes the total opposite, and found upon our arrival our infant daughter was not allowed in the service and had to attend the nursery (no choice in the matter and their website did not say anything about kids under 8 not allowed). So we went no where last week, but it gave us time to o think, plan, and reflect.

It was over this last week that I realized maybe what we need isn't an "exciting" sermon (as tempting as that can be from an immature Christian standpoint), a friendly congregation, etc. but somewhere we can agree and grow with. I am still unsure on where we lie theologically speaking, but the Baptism of infants we agree is a deal breaker. We agree that Baptism welcomes children into the universal Church family, and is necessary.

Upvote 0

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

We are actively looking into a church that will be willing to baptize, and still balancing theology with clear winners the Methodist church, Lutheran, or Episcopal (an extreme outlier is the Catholic Church but coming from a Protestant background I would have a lot to learn). We have spoken to clergy at 2 of the 3 choices, and we plan to make visits.

This has been frustrating, but good for us spiritually. We are "immature" Christian's admittedly with core theology going over our heads. We talked to a Pastor at our current independent, fundamental church, which we were going for months. We were increasingly getting frustrated, and they told us we dedicate children and you must become members. So I went online and followed line by line in their beliefs, and just do not agree with their beliefs. Especially had trouble with believing "the Bible as the Inerrant word of God", "disregarding the apostacy", "KJV only", and "Dispensationalism". We countered this by trying to attend a very contemporary Mega Church last week that believes the total opposite, and found upon our arrival our infant daughter was not allowed in the service and had to attend the nursery (no choice in the matter and their website did not say anything about kids under 8 not allowed). So we went no where last week, but it gave us time to o think, plan, and reflect.

It was over this last week that I realized maybe what we need isn't an "exciting" sermon (as tempting as that can be from an immature Christian standpoint), a friendly congregation, etc. but somewhere we can agree and grow with. I am still unsure on where we lie theologically speaking, but the Baptism of infants we agree is a deal breaker. We agree that Baptism welcomes children into the universal Church family, and is necessary.
You have an issue with the Bible as the inerrant word of God?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Hi. It sounds as though you have done really good work so far, even though the journey has not wrapped up. Since your choices have narrowed, I would recommend studying those three denominations more closely now, although most people seem to think they are very similar except perhaps for their involvement in social issues and, in the case of the Methodists, the formality of the worship service.

Upvote 0

escapee

Jul 19, 2019
USA
✟3,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Babysit churches are nice, but what you really need is a Catholic Church. And yes, your feelings are right! Any infant not babtized is for the devil, like any computer without a firewall is for a hacker. Don't risk it. Even if you are not a Catholic, you can babtized your child as a Catholic, in any Catholic Church. As long as your child is still an infant.

Upvote 0

Gnandstein

Aug 6, 2019
New York
✟7,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Baptism, biblically understood, is not a rite or ritual, a dedication or a symbol, but is a holy sacrament, so commanded by our Lord. In it all sins of the person are (permanently) forgiven, eternal life is bestowed, and faith is perpetually created through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It ranks as the greatest of the sacraments. Infants are baptized A) because baptism's efficacy has nothing to do with our intellect, but is strictly the power of God's Word to effect these promises, and B) because infants were baptized already in the Early Church as witnessed to in the New Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums