• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Infant Baptism

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Baileyscave, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Baileyscave

Baileyscave New Member

+11
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I realize I have been going to a church that does not baptism infants, and that my husband and I really feel strongly about baptizing our infant daughter. We have already dedicated several months to our current church, but I am thinking this may be a deal breaker. I strongly believe in making this covenant to God. I know there are baby dedication ceremonies from some churches, but I don't know if they are quite the same as an infant baptism theologically speaking. The type of church we are currently attending is a reformed Baptist, and in the almost 6 months we have been attending we have not seen or heard of an adult baptism let alone a dedication or infant baptism. I think I already know the answer if I asked them, but that leaves me with this question...what type of churches DO believe in infant baptism?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,339
    Christian
    Private
    Many churches believe in "believers" baptism. They can point to the bible and say there is no instance of a baby being baptized. Instead they dedicate babies promising to raise them in a christian fashion.

On the other hand, denominations like the Presbyterians say baptism is a symbol and has replaced circumcision. In a sense it is a baby dedication but also believe in believers baptism later on.

I believe Catholics and others say baptism removes Adams sin. This I do not believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+7,012
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    If you go to a conservative Presbyterian church (like the PCA or the OPC, but not the more liberal PCUSA) you will find it theologically very much like the Reformed Baptists you are attending, except that they will baptise infants.

Are these people anywhere near you? It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    Most churches do believe in infant baptism, Baileyscave. That would include the Catholic, Anglican/Episcopal, Orthodox, Presbyterian, Reformed, Lutheran, Methodist, Congregationalist, and a host of smaller churches. The churches that oppose the practice are the Amish, Baptist, Churches of Christ and Disciples of Christ, most non-denominational congregations, plus a few other churches related to the Baptist churches.

You are correct that a dedication is not the equivalent of a baptism--and that is true whether we are speaking of the churches that baptize infants or the ones that only practice "believers baptism."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,339
    Christian
    Private
    It should be noted the reason for baptism is very different. Catholics baptism and Presbyterian baptism of infants are done for seperate purposes.
    I've never looked into why Anglican, Episcopal, Reformed Lutheran and the others mentioned in your post baptise infants.
    Maybe someone here can tell us what baptism of infants accomplishes in those denominations.

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    Somewhat, but here the objective is to help our friend Baileyscave know where she might turn in order to find a church. What she thinks about the differences between the various denominations that I named is hers to decide. And that would apply to many other aspects of the alternatives. She might, for instance, agree with the baptismal policy of some church but find other beliefs and practices to be unacceptable to her. IMO Radagast's suggest of a conservative Presbyterian church was a good one, however.

Traditionally, baptism is believed to 1) mark the recipient as a member of Christs church, 2) forgive his or her sins or reassure the person of the remission of their sins, and 3) give grace.

7. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,339
    Christian
    Private
    If baptism is what makes you stay or leave a church I would think Baileyscave would want to understand the reasons for it, why some do and some don't baptize infants.

I understand why Baptist don't baptize infants as well as undertand why Presbyterian do.
    I disagree with why Catholics baptize infants.

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    My guess is that Catholicism is not high on her list of possible choices, but it got mentioned only to say that most churches do baptize infants, meaning that she should not find locating one to be a very difficult task.

9. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Well-Known Member

+1,758
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Presbyterians and Congregational churches are your best option if you are looking for one more similar to a Reformed Baptist Church, with the different view of baptism. They do have minor other difference, but they are closer than Anglican and Methodist and so on...

10. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+7,012
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Reformed Baptist would mean Calvinist, which is which I think conservative Presbyterian groups like the PCA would be the best match.

11. Jonaitis

+1,758
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I prefer OPC than PCA (and definitely PCUSA, waay too liberal).

Reformed Baptist are more than Calvinist.

12. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+7,012
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Originally I said "OPC or PCA."

But there's a PCA church close to where the OP lives that would be the obvious place to look at first.

13. Jonaitis

+1,758
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I usually don't pay attention to any other comment beside the OP, unless it is a topic that interests me.

14. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,551
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    You should ask them if they have a dedication ceremony for infants and go from there.

Biblically I don't find where infants were baptized. Some use a verses where it states a whole household were baptized, however no mention of what the household consisted of.

Acts 16:33
    New International Version
    At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.

Matthew 3:6
    Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

Babies can not confess, repent etc. so with that although it is not necessarily wrong with a baby being baptized ... as they grow up at some point in time they should choose to be baptized, when they understand what being baptized is all about.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

Some faiths believe otherwise.

"that my husband and I really feel strongly about baptizing our infant daughter"

Curious as to what your feelings are being based on?

God Bless.

15. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,339
    Christian
    Private
    Luke 2:21And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised,......Some say baptism has replaced circumcision as the sign of the covenent. For this reason they baptize babies.

16. Acts2:38

Acts2:38 Well-Known Member

+524
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why? Do you have any scripture that supports this?

If you will take a step back and hear what your saying:

" I feel strongly about baptizing..." / "I strongly believe in making this covenant...."

Baptism was only done when the individual THEMSELVES believed, repented, and confessed Christ, not when someone else believed they should.

Acts 2:37 = They asked Peter, "What should WE do?"

Peter said Acts 2:38
    This poster was right:
    Notice all the people who get baptized in Acts are penitent for their transgressions. They realize they are in sin and they UNDERSTAND what is being preached. The Ethiopian knew and understood what Philip preached in Acts 8.

Do babies understand what you are saying?

Are babies accountable? Are they responsible?

Do they have any understanding of Christ if you preached to them?

If you answered "no", then how can you baptize a baby? They have no idea what you are saying, no understanding of Christ regardless of you telling them, they cant even produce nor do they know language.

Because they are not accountable, they are not held to the standards of those who reached the ability to understand and be accountable.

Due to scripture such as this:
    Matthew 18:3, mark 10:13-15, Ezekiel 18:20, Romans 14:12

I would say baptism is not needed at all for infants.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,551
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Some say a lot of things ;o) What they believe is up to them.

A baby does not know good from evil.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings.

Supporting Scripture:
    Romans 6:1-6 Colossians 2:12, 13 Acts 16:30-33; 22:16; 2:38; Matthew 28:19, 20.

18. brightlights

brightlights A sinner

+275
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Most Christian denominations baptize babies, but for different reasons. Why do you want to have your kids baptized?

19. PoppyB

PoppyB Active Member

+194
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Have your child blessed or 'welcomed' by all means but baptising infants is not biblical.

20. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,339
    Christian
    Private