Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I got to thinking... what percentage of a sane person's worldview lines up with what is actually true? The real answer is probably shocking, but is there anything we can do about it?

For example, you may think that opposite gender person you just talked to really likes you based on them smiling, joking with you, etc. But then when they are with friends, they might be talking about how irritating you are.

Sure you can be the "smart" type that only goes by evidence, but take a car crash or determination in a football game for example. One piece of evidence for example in the form of a video at a certain angle, isn't always enough to determine whether a person is at fault.

Then if you take it further and say "I will only believe something with overwhelming evidence", that's fine, but it really hinders what you are able to believe and kind of makes you out to be a cynical person. You start to miss out.

Reactions: Emli

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I got to thinking... what percentage of a sane person's worldview lines up with what is actually true? The real answer is probably shocking, but is there anything we can do about it?

For example, you may think that opposite gender person you just talked to really likes you based on them smiling, joking with you, etc. But then when they are with friends, they might be talking about how irritating you are.

Sure you can be the "smart" type that only goes by evidence, but take a car crash or determination in a football game for example. One piece of evidence for example in the form of a video at a certain angle, isn't always enough to determine whether a person is at fault.

Then if you take it further and say "I will only believe something with overwhelming evidence", that's fine, but it really hinders what you are able to believe and kind of makes you out to be a cynical person. You start to miss out.
So if you are president of the United States, which probably makes you the most powerful person in the world, and some of your decisions have a huge effect on the lives of many, many people, how can you be wise enough to make the right decisions? We can only hope our presidents are trying to do the Lord's will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So if you are president of the United States, which probably makes you the most powerful person in the world, and some of you decisions have a huge effect on the lives of many, many people, how can you be wise enough to make the right decisions? We can only hope our presidents are trying to do the Lord's will.

That, and we have a few checks and balances in government. It lessens the blow of when we get a President who isn't led.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
That, and we have a few checks and balances in government. It lessens the blow of when we get a President who isn't led.
But the checks and balances might not be following the Lord.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But the checks and balances might not be following the Lord.

Which brings me back to the point that in a fallen world, few things operate perfectly, especially when they require human input.

I get the feeling people are going to say, "Only when you are led by God do you become accurate." I welcome such responses, but would like to see the thinking or Bible verses that lead up to this conclusion.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Which brings me back to the point that in a fallen world, few things operate perfectly, especially when they require human input.

I get the feeling people are going to say, "Only when you are led by God do you become accurate." I welcome such responses, but would like to see the thinking or Bible verses that lead up to this conclusion.
Sometimes common sense prevails. I know that love is a good thing without needing scripture to bear me out.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Close to 100% becasue we never hold to anything
we don't think is true. The issue is that we each
have different experiences that create our 100%
true conclusions.

It is only through shared experiences that we
begin to come to the same conclusions, or
what you are calling...true.

But if you look at legal proceedings, you find
that each person hold their own truth.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Left said:
"I got to thinking... what percentage of a sane person's worldview lines up with what is actually true? The real answer is probably shocking, but is there anything we can do about it?"
Close to 100% becasue we never hold to anything
we don't think is true. The issue is that we each
have different experiences that create our 100%
true conclusions.

It is only through shared experiences that we
begin to come to the same conclusions, or
what you are calling...true.

But if you look at legal proceedings, you find
that each person hold their own truth.

That's not the way it works. (Of course there would be nothing for the legal system to settle if there were not a difference in what people take to be true - that someone should be awarded a particular sum of money, for instance.)
Yet there is TRUTH that may be quite different from what is subjectively held by a particular individual (or group) to be true.

Precisely that point is being made by "Left." And he/she makes the additional point that there may be quite a bit of "divergence." And then wonders what can be done to increase the actual amount of actual truth people hold to.

It is the case that no one holds to anything they don't think to be true, unless they are dissembling or deliberately lying. (Or "holds" may preclude even that possibility.) It is rather the case that THINKING SOMETHING TO BE TRUE means one holds to it.

Depending on what is meant by "shared experiences," they may or may not bring people closer to the truth. Internet groupings tend to reinforce already held or particular (and even peculiar) viewpoints. Whereas living in a common society, of the same nation, etc. may lead one closer to the truth, and/or it may not. That depends a lot on how much concern to discover and always reflect the truth a particular society has. (I'm thinking of Palestinians' very distorted views of Jews and Israel, for instance.)

To repeat, that two (or more) people have the same opinion does NOT mean it is true.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find much of this to be true in opinions of a "rapture." Some read that "one will be taken", and conclude that those words mean "the righteous" will be removed from a sinful world.

Yet others read the parable of The Wheat & The Tares, and clearly believe they see the "wicked" (Tares) being taken first, while the "righteous are left to "shine like the sun."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I find much of this to be true in opinions of a "rapture." Some read that "one will be taken", and conclude that those words mean "the righteous" will be removed from a sinful world.

Yet others read the parable of The Wheat & The Tares, and clearly believe they see the "wicked" (Tares) being taken first, while the "righteous are left to "shine like the sun."
Way I see it, tares are taken out and cast unto hell if the two are in "full" agreement, and to be construed to be about the same thing. In the parable that is at HARVEST.

Farming these days tries to kill the weeds where they are, yet in the case where that fails both are "gathered in" at the harvest. And then sorted, the tares cast out, fed to the dogs (pigs), something like that.
All people alive, tares and good grain, remain together until the harvest or Christ coming - that seems to be how it is and how Jesus said it was.

In my understanding of what the rapture is, how it is likely to come about, I am pretty sure it will be REAL RAPTURE ON A REAL EARTH.
In church, in the body of Christ, with Christ bride operating.
Those left outside to die without rapture will be those not accepting of Christ.
The final judgment the final reckoning. A very visible final sorting out.

And for those (then) blatantly insisting yet on continuing in sin, relative to the rapturing individuals,"weeping and knashing of teeth."
(Whether the sin is called "love," or whatever it is that KEEPS THEM FROM BEING OF GOD, being raptured.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

This is my favorite video on this kind of subject of all time, and I think it holds. The only way I believe anything can be done about it is to be open to being wrong, and accepting that you are probably already wrong or nowhere near the truth in many areas. More importantly, to never have a fear of being wrong, and to accept it, and learn from it, moving on towards what may be true. But at the same time, not being overly cynical of all things, it's perfectly possible to endure the trials of being a fallible human without being like that.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Yes, "gather the wheat into my barn." Mt. 13:30
God's "barn" is Thee CHURCH. Wheat is obviously the good fruit. Gathered in the barn.
(I have "farmed" wheat.) Tares are always a pestilence and worse. FLEE THEM FOR THE CHURCH, GOD'S BARN. Gather ye together!

Note the Scripture says, "gather ye together FIRST the tares..." The destruction of the "unprofitable" (i.e., poor, etc) - one could hope for a peaceful self-realization...

Do they believe in the ultimate of SUCH AN OBVIOUSLY USELESS LIFE, THE OBVIOUSLY USELESS LIFE OF NOT LIVING FOR LOVE?
The ultimate is that they then commit to never gestating !
In other words, anyone who cannot bear to bring themselves to the rapture realizes they have NO GOOD REASON FOR LIVING and then swear to NOT PROCREATE.
BESIDES LIFE IS MORE FUN WITHOUT ANY CHILDREN.
Perpetual teenagers!

I.e., they
either believe in God (AND ART RAPTURED)
or realize they are of the condemnation.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field. Mt.13:36d

"He that seweth [PRESENT TENSE?] the good see is the Son of man;

OH OH.
Oh okay, "the good seed are the children of the kingdom," that's what I thought.

"The tares are the children ... " That is INDEED what I thought.
And the parents of the children, I thought that too.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The only way I believe anything can be done about it is to be open to being wrong, and accepting that you are probably already wrong or nowhere near the truth in many areas. More importantly, to never have a fear of being wrong, and to accept it, and learn from it, moving on towards what may be true. But at the same time, not being overly cynical of all things, it's perfectly possible to endure the trials of being a fallible human without being like that.
FEAR OF BEING WRONG is a very important thing.
Not that it should deter us from venturing forth our viewpoints, quite the opposite - we present them to test them.
At all time there should be the other side of the same coin of "fear of being wrong," and that is GREAT CONCERN that we be right, that we get things correct and true.

That is THEE POINT re all things, that understanding always be true understanding.
SPIRIT OF TRUTH present and manifest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, "gather the wheat into my barn." Mt. 13:30
God's "barn" is Thee CHURCH. Wheat is obviously the good fruit. Gathered in the barn.
(I have "farmed" wheat.) Tares are always a pestilence and worse. FLEE THEM FOR THE CHURCH, GOD'S BARN. Gather ye together!

Note the Scripture says, "gather ye together FIRST the tares..." The destruction of the "unprofitable" (i.e., poor, etc) - one could hope for a peaceful self-realization...

Do they believe in the ultimate of SUCH AN OBVIOUSLY USELESS LIFE, THE OBVIOUSLY USELESS LIFE OF NOT LIVING FOR LOVE?
The ultimate is that they then commit to never gestating !
In other words, anyone who cannot bear to bring themselves to the rapture realizes they have NO GOOD REASON FOR LIVING and then swear to NOT PROCREATE.
BESIDES LIFE IS MORE FUN WITHOUT ANY CHILDREN.
Perpetual teenagers!

I.e., they
either believe in God (AND ART RAPTURED)
or realize they are of the condemnation.
Wow! What are you going to name this new Bible you are writing? ☺

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Wow! What are you going to name this new Bible you are writing? ☺
Bit of a compliment. Thanks!