Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No one, save Jesus only, has ever lived a life that by itself could earn the right to return to the presence of God... Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual : Enrichment E - Overcoming Sin and Obtaining Forgiveness

1. Mormonism teaches that Christ provided a resurrection for mankind without which no one could become a God with a glorified body of flesh and bone. All mankind had to be worthy in pre-mortality to come to earth and get a mortal body and thereby be able to get a resurrection.

2. As it pertains to the consequences of personal sin, the blessings and benefits of the Atonement are forgiveness of sin through repentance, sanctification through obedience to the laws and commandments of God, and the hope of eternal life in the presence of God.

The purpose of this enrichment section is to build an understanding of what the Doctrine and Covenants has to say about repentance, forgiveness, and sanctification. Only by understanding these three principles and then applying them in one’s life can one obtain eternal life and live in the presence of God...

Sanctification is a state of saintliness, a state attained only by conformity to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. The plan of salvation is the system and means provided whereby men may sanctify their souls and thereby become worthy of a celestial inheritance.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 675.)
http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/dc-in/manualindex.asp

Salvation is a gift, not a wage, no matter what we do. Hopefully that will help clarify what the quotes you shared mean.

No, the quotes were not taken out of context and I understood them in the seventies as well as now.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.LDS Third Article of Faith

Our exaltation depends on marriage....

Some of the blessings we can enjoy for eternity are as follows:

1. We can live in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom of God.

2. We can be exalted as God is and receive a fulness of joy.

3. We can, at some future time, increase our family by having spirit children.

“Chapter 38: Eternal Marriage,” Gospel Principles, p. 241

We must seek earnestly to obey every covenant that we make in the temple. The Lord has said that if we are true and faithful, we will pass by the angels to our exaltation. We will become gods. (See D&C 132:19–20.) Temple marriage is worth any sacrifice. It is a way of obtaining eternal blessings beyond measure.

And:

“All blessings that were ordained for man by the Council of Heaven were on conditions of obedience to the law thereof.”
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (2007), p. 164

“God’s choicest blessings are clearly contingent upon obedience to God’s laws and commandments. The key teaching is from modern revelation [D&C 130:20–21].
Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “Love and Law,” Ensign, Nov. 2009, p. 27

“If you really want a certain blessing, you’d better find out what the laws are that govern that blessing and then work on becoming obedient to those laws.”
Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “The Mission and Ministry of the Savior: A Discussion with Elder Russell M. Nelson,” Ensign, June 2005, p. 19

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Doctrine and Covenants 130

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well, call me weird, because I happen to agree that Mormonism teaches that grace is an important - yes, even pivotal, to use your word - doctrine.
That is one step toward understanding each other then. We can go someplace from there.
However, that in no way takes those pesky commandments and ordinances out of the picture; they are ADDED by Mormonism and in fact REQUIRED by Mormonism for exaltation - over and above and even BEFORE Christ's grace
Have you considered that they are not pesky to us? I mean, did you ever, in the 40 years you spent as a Mormon, keep a commandment because you wanted to? Or because you loved the person you were helping? Or out of gratitude for your blessings? If so, at what point did you stop keeping the commandments for these, or similar, reasons? At what point did they become pesky to you? Could it be that you personally never really understood that your own discipleship was not measured by what you did, but how you felt about what you did, or didn't do, and on why you did or didn't do things? You tell me.

All I know is that I don't feel that the commandments are pesky. If I neglect to do something right, I don't double my efforts to try to make up lost ground. I seek forgiveness and let the atonement (the grace of Christ) swallow my sins. And I move forward feeling blessed, and eager to bless others. Faith, hope, charity... that is the gospel I know. The one you describe, and say is the gospel I believe in, is totally foreign to me.

2 Nephi 25:23.
For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

Addendum: When a religion has the audacity to say or even imply that the grace of Christ is somehow insufficient and must be added to by anything at all, much less something so contrived as manmade commandments and ordinances fashioned after Masonic rites, then there's something terribly, seriously wrong.
Your own interpretation of our scriptures does not make them mean what you believe they mean. "All we can do" to be saved is repent. (See Alma 24:10-12) And your hypotheses about the origins of the commandments and ordinances of the LDS church are interesting, but unless you've got something more than just your opinion to corroborate them, that's all they will remain.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
1. Mormonism teaches that Christ provided a resurrection for mankind without which no one could become a God with a glorified body of flesh and bone. All mankind had be worthy in pre-mortality to come to earth and get a mortal body and thereby be able to get a resurrection.

2. As it pertains to the consequences of personal sin, the blessings and benefits of the Atonement are forgiveness of sin through repentance, sanctification through obedience to the laws and commandments of God, and the hope of eternal life in the presence of God.

The purpose of this enrichment section is to build an understanding of what the Doctrine and Covenants has to say about repentance, forgiveness, and sanctification. Only by understanding these three principles and then applying them in one’s life can one obtain eternal life and live in the presence of God...

Sanctification is a state of saintliness, a state attained only by conformity to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. The plan of salvation is the system and means provided whereby men may sanctify their souls and thereby become worthy of a celestial inheritance.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 675.)http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/dc-in/manualindex.asp

No, the quotes were not taken out of context and I understood them in the seventies as well as now.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
LDS Third Article of Faith

Our exaltation depends on marriage....

Some of the blessings we can enjoy for eternity are as follows:

1. We can live in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom of God.

2. We can be exalted as God is and receive a fulness of joy.

3. We can, at some future time, increase our family by having spirit children.

We must seek earnestly to obey every covenant that we make in the temple. The Lord has said that if we are true and faithful, we will pass by the angels to our exaltation. We will become gods. (See D&C 132:19–20.) Temple marriage is worth any sacrifice. It is a way of obtaining eternal blessings beyond measure.

And:

“All blessings that were ordained for man by the Council of Heaven were on conditions of obedience to the law thereof.”Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (2007), p. 164

“God’s choicest blessings are clearly contingent upon obedience to God’s laws and commandments. The key teaching is from modern revelation [D&C 130:20–21].
Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “Love and Law,” Ensign, Nov. 2009, p. 27

“If you really want a certain blessing, you’d better find out what the laws are that govern that blessing and then work on becoming obedient to those laws.”
Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “The Mission and Ministry of the Savior: A Discussion with Elder Russell M. Nelson,” Ensign, June 2005, p. 19

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.
Doctrine and Covenants 130
It doesn't matter how many quotes you produce—as long as your presentation is lopsided—focusing on justice without mercy, works without grace, obedience without love—it is the gospel of Phoebe Ann you present, not the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the LDS church.

Remember… 1+1=1, 1+0=0
TFT

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Your own interpretation of our scriptures does not make them mean what you believe they mean. "All we can do" to be saved is repent. (See Alma 24:10-12)

There it is --- that famous cop-out! "Ye cannot suppose that this is what it meaneth."

"Trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentance complete when one merely tries to abandon sin"
Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 164

Teachings of Joseph Smith
When we seek to know God’s will and do everything He commands us to do, the blessings of heaven will rest upon us.

To get salvation we must not only do some things, but everything which God has commanded. Men may preach and practice everything except those things which God commands us to do, and will be damned at last. We may tithe mint and rue, and all manner of herbs, and still not obey the commandments of God [see Luke 11:42]. The object with me is to obey and teach others to obey God in just what He tells us to do. It mattereth not whether the principle is popular or unpopular, I will always maintain a true principle, even if I stand alone in it.
History of the Church, 6:223; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Feb. 21, 1844, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.
Chapter 13: Obedience: “When the Lord Commands, Do It”, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, (2007),158–70

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It doesn't matter how many quotes you produce—as long as your presentation is lopsided—focusing on justice without mercy, works without grace, obedience without love—it is the gospel of Phoebe Ann you present, not the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the LDS church.

You WISH!

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There it is --- that famous cop-out! "Ye cannot suppose that this is what it meaneth."

"Trying is not sufficient. Nor is repentance complete when one merely tries to abandon sin"
Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 164

Teachings of Joseph Smith
When we seek to know God’s will and do everything He commands us to do, the blessings of heaven will rest upon us.
“To get salvation we must not only do some things, but everything which God has commanded. Men may preach and practice everything except those things which God commands us to do, and will be damned at last. We may tithe mint and rue, and all manner of herbs, and still not obey the commandments of God [see Luke 11:42]. The object with me is to obey and teach others to obey God in just what He tells us to do. It mattereth not whether the principle is popular or unpopular, I will always maintain a true principle, even if I stand alone in it.”
History of the Church, 6:223; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Feb. 21, 1844, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.
Chapter 13: Obedience: “When the Lord Commands, Do It”, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, (2007),158–70
It was no cop out at all. It was a fact, and one that I backed up with scriptural support. You've got some good quotes here, but what do they say to you?

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

You WISH!
Actually, there's no wishing involved. If two facts bear on a truth, and I present only one of them, and at the same time I say that what I have presented is the only fact that bears on the truth, then what I have given is just a half-truth—and what is that worth? So since your presentation of LDS doctrine consistenly leaves out half of the facts (omitting grace while exalting works, for example), it is therefore not LDS doctrine. Or did I miss all the quotes you posted of LDS leaders' teachings about Christ's grace?

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is a gift, not a wage, no matter what we do. Hopefully that will help clarify what the quotes you shared mean.

OK, so this is your final answer, right?

Great! That that means that you will see all of us in heaven as your brothers and sisters in Christ.

Except, before we jump to too many conclusions, what is your definition of salvation?

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
[/color][/b]That is one step toward understanding each other then. We can go someplace from there.
[/b]Have you considered that they are not pesky to us? I mean, did you ever, in the 40 years you spent as a Mormon, keep a commandment because you wanted to? Or because you loved the person you were helping? Or out of gratitude for your blessings? If so, at what point did you stop keeping the commandments for these, or similar, reasons? At what point did they become pesky to you?

Your own interpretation of our scriptures does not make them mean what you believe they mean. "All we can do" to be saved is repent. (See Alma 24:10-12) And your hypotheses about the origins of the commandments and ordinances of the LDS church are interesting, but unless you've got something more than just your opinion to corroborate them, that's all they will remain.

I used the word "pesky" in jest, my friend. Of course I never considered keeping the commandments pesky - still don't. I feel that they are given for a reason out of love of God for His children, and that applies regardless of church affiliation, don't you think? However, since we were talking about those extraneous (is that better?), peculiarly LDS commandments, we'll go back to discussing those, and the answer to your question is a resounding NO. Like you, I felt blessed to have what I then believed was the real truth that the entire rest of the world refused to acknowledge. So many times I was on your end of conversations exactly like this one - does that surprise you?

Could it be that you personally never really understood that your own discipleship was not measured by what you did, but how you felt about what you did, or didn't do, and on why you did or didn't do things? You tell me.

I would love to tell you about it - but first I'd just like to air a complaint, if you will indulge me. I've noticed that you (and others) have the frequent tendency to imply/tell people here that they don't understand this or that about LDS doctrine, and that makes you come across as quite pompous, and I know you don't want that. That said, let me hasten to assure you that it is SOUND LDS doctrine that a person's discipleship is fact measured by his/her works - as well as his/her faith - as has been shown on this very thread by numerous LDS scriptural citations. As an example you will certainly relate to, don't you attend PPI sometimes, in which your priesthood file leader requires of you an accounting of your stewardship? Perhaps you even conduct those interviews yourself. Are you telling me that this doesn't constitute measuring a person's discipleship by his works?

And when you said that "All we can do" (in reference to 2 Nephi 25:23) to be saved is to repent, I truly and strongly believe that you are 100% mistaken about your own interpretation of that verse (and your Alma reference, concerning the Anti-Nephi-Lehis, is totally taken out of context - sorry). Section 132 CLEARLY states that without the extraneous, peculiarly LDS commandment/ordinance of eternal marriage, exaltation is utterly and forever impossible - and that's just one example, but it proves the point quite well enough.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I used the word "pesky" in jest, my friend. Of course I never considered keeping the commandments pesky - still don't. I feel that they are given for a reason out of love of God for His children, and that applies regardless of church affiliation, don't you think? However, since we were talking about those extraneous (is that better?), peculiarly LDS commandments, we'll go back to discussing those, and the answer to your question is a resounding NO. Like you, I felt blessed to have what I then believed was the real truth that the entire rest of the world refused to acknowledge. So many times I was on your end of conversations exactly like this one - does that surprise you?
Honestly, no. It doesn't. But it really makes it difficult to understand your perspective. I mean, if as a Mormon you kept the "extraeneous LDS commandments" with the same feelings of love, joy, and desire as you now keep the "regular" commandments, then they were never burdensome to you, right? And, touching on what irritates you (as described below), if you believed and understood as a Mormon that your keeping of the commandments was not going to save you... if the gospel you knew then was a joy to live... if you then defended the attacks of critics who claimed the same things to you then that you claim to me now... then how come you resist with such fervor when I express those very same sentiments about keeping the commandments? Because your personal view of Joseph Smith changed? Is that what makes something true or not—how you feel about it? Because that's the way it looks to me. I hope you can understand that.
I would love to tell you about it - but first I'd just like to air a complaint, if you will indulge me. I've noticed that you (and others) have the frequent tendency to imply/tell people here that they don't understand this or that about LDS doctrine, and that makes you come across as quite pompous, and I know you don't want that. That said, let me hasten to assure you that it is SOUND LDS doctrine that a person's discipleship is fact measured by his/her works - as well as his/her faith - as has been shown on this very thread by numerous LDS scriptural citations. As an example you will certainly relate to, don't you attend PPI sometimes, in which your priesthood file leader requires of you an accounting of your stewardship? Perhaps you even conduct those interviews yourself. Are you telling me that this doesn't constitute measuring a person's discipleship by his works?
Well, let's look at a PPI. Why do we conduct them? Is it to weed out the "bad members" who are lazy, so that we can punish them for not doing things they should be doing? Is it to identify the "good members" who are hard workers, so that we can reward them for doing what they should be doing? You seem to think that the interview is a measuring rod of some kind. What is being measured then, and for what purpose?

And when you said that "All we can do" (in reference to 2 Nephi 25:23) to be saved is to repent, I truly and strongly believe that you are 100% mistaken about your own interpretation of that verse (and your Alma reference, concerning the Anti-Nephi-Lehis, is totally taken out of context - sorry).
I don't think I've misinterpreted the Nephi verse at all, nor do I believe that I've taken the Alma verses out of context. Whether we're talking about being forgiven or being exalted, the problem for us is the same—we can't do the thing for ourselves. Let's look at the Alma 24 verses, and then compare them to the Nephi verse.

The Anti-Nephi-Lehi's weren't just your average sinners. They were guilty of "many sins and murders" (v. 10). And when they were made aware, through the preaching of the Nephite missionaries, that they had indeed grossly sinned, and that they were consequently "the most lost of all mankind," (v. 11) how is it that they were taught to have their "stain" removed? They state that there was only one thing they could do "to get God to take [their sins] away from [their] hearts." And they are emphatic about it being "all" they could do. And what was "all they could do" to be forgiven? It was repent. There was nothing else they could do. And after they had done that one thing, there was nothing else they could do. It was in the hands of the Savior. He could accept their repentance or reject it. It was 100% up to him, and their fate hinged wholly on his mercy and grace. What if they had sacrificed 100 lambs? What if they had paid a little extra tithing that month? What if they had taken a couple extra trips to the temple? Would those things have somehow lessened the amount of forgiveness they needed for the many sins and murders they had committed? Hardly!

Now what follows their forgiveness is equally important. After they have been forgiven, which forgiveness they have been gifted following only one thing—repentance... after they have been forgiven they point out the need for what? Obedience.
Now, my best beloved brethren, since God hath taken away our stains, and our swords have become bright, then let us stain our swords no more with the blood of our brethren. Behold, I say unto you, Nay, let us retain our swords that they be not stained with the blood of our brethren; for perhaps, if we should stain our swords again they can no more be washed bright through the blood of the Son of our great God, which shall be shed for the atonement of our sins. (v.12-13)

And now behold, since it has been as much as we could do to get our stains taken away from us, and our swords are made bright, let us hide them away that they may be kept bright, as a testimony to our God at the last day, or at the day that we shall be brought to stand before him to be judged, that we have not stained our swords in the blood of our brethren since he imparted his word unto us and has made us clean thereby.
And what role does their obedience play, since it played no part in their forgiveness? As they, themselves, point out, their obedience is a testimony of their conversion and their repentance. And who or what made them clean? Was it their works? No. "He," meaning God, "has made us clean."

Is it any different when talking about eternal life? Are not our works—our obedience—merely testimonies to God of our conversion? of what is inside? of who we are and what we love? In the end we may have to agree to disagree, but I do not think for one second that I have misunderstood what these verses teach. And they do not tell me that the atonement "kicks in" when my works are shown to be insufficient to save me. They say that the atonement is made operative when I repent, and that my subsequent obedience is a sign to God of my true conversion.

So back to Nephi. What is all I can do to be saved? Repent. And what saves me? Christ's grace. And then I give God a testimony that I have accepted his forgiveness and have become his disciple... a testimony I give in and through my obedience. How is this a misinterpretation?

Section 132 CLEARLY states that without the extraneous, peculiarly LDS commandment/ordinance of eternal marriage, exaltation is utterly and forever impossible - and that's just one example, but it proves the point quite well enough.
I would think that refusal to obey any commandment would have consequences, wouldn't you? We wouldn't dare think of refusing to love God or our fellow man, right? So why should refusal to be baptized or to take the sacrament, or to be married for eternity be treated any differently? Just because they're ordinances? If God commands it, shouldn't we do it if we claim to love Him? What difference does it make what the commandment is? And why would we expect God to turn his head to our own refusal to obey?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would think that refusal to obey any commandment would have consequences, wouldn't you? We wouldn't dare think of refusing to love God or our fellow man, right? So why should refusal to be baptized or to take the sacrament, or to be married for eternity be treated any differently? Just because they're ordinances? If God commands it, shouldn't we do it if we claim to love Him? What difference does it make what the commandment is? And why would we expect God to turn his head to our own refusal to obey?

Refusal to obey a commandment does have consequences, just not the ones that the LDS church puts out there. It doesn't jeopardize our salvation since salvation comes before works (I see you didn't respond to my post where I outlined that). What it does is stand in the way of our relationship with God. When we don't obey a commandment, we hinder our sanctification, not our justification. We are not in a right relationship with God. If one is truly saved, being in a right relationship with God is very important, but our salvation isn't yanked out from under us if we aren't. That is the beauty of believing that salvation comes first. WE do these things with joy because of what the Savior has already done for us.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Refusal to obey a commandment does have consequences, just not the ones that the LDS church puts out there. It doesn't jeopardize our salvation since salvation comes before works (I see you didn't respond to my post where I outlined that). What it does is stand in the way of our relationship with God. When we don't obey a commandment, we hinder our sanctification, not our justification. We are not in a right relationship with God. If one is truly saved, being in a right relationship with God is very important, but our salvation isn't yanked out from under us if we aren't. That is the beauty of believing that salvation comes first. WE do these things with joy because of what the Savior has already done for us.
You want me to discuss what you understand salvation to be, but using LDS theology. That doesn't work. So, that you disagree with my point of view is not a problem. All I desire to do here is make sure that LDS doctrines and positions are presented accurately. Therefore, I see no reason to re-hash the apples-to-oranges discussion about salvation that is frequently presented to us LDS here.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You want me to discuss what you understand salvation to be, but using LDS theology. That doesn't work. So, that you disagree with my point of view is not a problem. All I desire to do here is make sure that LDS doctrines and positions are presented accurately. Therefore, I see no reason to re-hash the apples-to-oranges discussion about salvation that is frequently presented to us LDS here.

That's fine. However, when we know that LDS beliefs about things like salvation are works-dependent, and that not all are welcome to it unless they bow to the LDS works-based requirements, it's best not to present a different story. I know the LDS church has really changed over the years, but that is not an area that they have budged on. They might not be as forthright in spelling it out, like they used to be, but the belief is still there.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's fine. However, when we know that LDS beliefs about things like salvation are works-dependent, and that not all are welcome to it unless they bow to the LDS works-based requirements, it's best not to present a different story.
I bow to God, not to the church. Your presumption is backward, which is the main reason, I believe, you cannot see the doctrine for what it is.
I know the LDS church has really changed over the years, but that is not an area that they have budged on. They might not be as forthright in spelling it out, like they used to be, but the belief is still there.
On the contrary, I have just used our scriptures to show that Christ dispenses his grace because we repent, not because we do good works. Can you present an instance in the scriptures of the Restoration in which God says that he will save us on the merits of our works? Just one? All I ask is one.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I bow to God, not to the church. Your presumption is backward, which is the main reason, I believe, you cannot see the doctrine for what it is.On the contrary, I have just used our scriptures to show that Christ dispenses his grace because we repent, not because we do good works. Can you present an instance in the scriptures of the Restoration in which God says that he will save us on the merits of our works? Just one? All I ask is one.

I asked you in a previous post, and it seems you overlooked it, but is it your understanding that everyone (LDS and non-LDS) will be together in heaven (what we mean when we say heaven (that would be equivalent to exaltation (living with God in glory)))? The answer to this will be the answer to the question of whether it is works-based or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I asked you in a previous post, and it seems you overlooked it, but is it your understanding that everyone (LDS and non-LDS) will be together in heaven (what we mean when we say heaven (that would be equivalent to exaltation (living with God in glory)))? The answer to this will be the answer to the question of whether it is works-based or not.
I did not overlook your previous post. In my opinion it was a goad. I intentionally did not respond to it. And I choose not to answer you this time either, nor likely will I until you can show that you understand the proper role of grace in LDS theology. That's is an equitable arrangement.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I did not overlook your previous post. In my opinion it was a goad. I intentionally did not respond to it. And I choose not to answer you this time either, nor likely will I until you can show that you understand the proper role of grace in LDS theology. That's is an equitable arrangement.

LOL. You don't seem to understand. When things are required to be done, there is no grace. It is either all grace or all works. The Bible is clear on that. The mere fact that you won't answer the question, to me, tells me that you don't want to admit that LDS salvation is based on works.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then [is it] no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if [it be] of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Do I believe that God does impart grace on LDS members? I do. It is in spite of the works that the LDS church requires, not because of it.

And tell me, how is it a goad to ask you to clarify your beliefs? Will we be together in heaven or not? How is that goading?

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
LOL. You don't seem to understand. When things are required to be done, there is no grace. It is either all grace or all works. The Bible is clear on that.
There you go again bringing your own Bible-only theology into a discussion about LDS theology. This is why I don't answer you. You make no effort to put aside what you believe so that you can see clearly what we believe.

The mere fact that you won't answer the question, to me, tells me that you don't want to admit that LDS salvation is based on works.
LOL. Anything other admissions you want to attribute to me while you're probing the depths of my mind and soul today?

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then [is it] no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if [it be] of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Do I believe that God does impart grace on LDS members? I do. It is in spite of the works that the LDS church requires, not because of it.
Then what are you worried about? And why are we here back-and-forthing about it?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's fine. However, when we know that LDS beliefs about things like salvation are works-dependent, and that not all are welcome to it unless they bow to the LDS works-based requirements, it's best not to present a different story. I know the LDS church has really changed over the years, but that is not an area that they have budged on. They might not be as forthright in spelling it out, like they used to be, but the belief is still there.

:amen:

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, no. It doesn't. But it really makes it difficult to understand your perspective. I mean, if as a Mormon you kept the "extraeneous LDS commandments" with the same feelings of love, joy, and desire as you now keep the "regular" commandments, then they were never burdensome to you, right? And, touching on what irritates you (as described below), if you believed and understood as a Mormon that your keeping of the commandments was not going to save you... if the gospel you knew then was a joy to live... if you then defended the attacks of critics who claimed the same things to you then that you claim to me now... then how come you resist with such fervor when I express those very same sentiments about keeping the commandments? Because your personal view of Joseph Smith changed? Is that what makes something true or not—how you feel about it? Because that's the way it looks to me. I hope you can understand that.

I felt then exactly as you do now, and of course feelings never determined the truth of anything, Moroni 10:3-5 notwithstanding. What changed my mind was not an OPINION/"personal view"; it was learning real, factual, documented history of the LDS church (unedited and unaltered by the church committees which are appointed by general authorities to edit and alter). Do you really believe me as shallow-minded as that? Apparently so. And yes, from your own, LDS-colored-glasses perspective, I can totally understand why you have such a skewed perspective because I looked through them myself for four decades.

Well, let's look at a PPI. Why do we conduct them? Is it to weed out the "bad members" who are lazy, so that we can punish them for not doing things they should be doing? Is it to identify the "good members" who are hard workers, so that we can reward them for doing what they should be doing? You seem to think that the interview is a measuring rod of some kind. What is being measured then, and for what purpose? Your series of questions qualifies as neither a substantive nor even halfway satisfactory response.

First of all, it could hardly be called a refusal OR a commandment when you're talking about someone who doesn't even believe that Joseph Smith ever saw that so-called first vision (in any of its many variations). If I went out and killed someone, then we could talk; if I'm refusing to do what's necessary to qualify to go be sealed in an LDS temple to my husband, then no, because neither of us believes that Joseph Smith was anything remotely close to a prophet.

So - you see? You've proven it once again: It all and it always goes back to Joseph Smith. Not once - not one, single, solitary time - will you find in your King James Bible where Jesus says that if you don't take the sacrament or perform temple ordinances you will be denied entrance in the celestial kingdom. Mormons believe it; everyone else does not because IT'S NOT IN THE BIBLE. And that's the way it will always be.

Upvote 0