In an 8-1 Supreme Court decision, Trump's documents must go to the House 1/6 Committee

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,073,197.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The lone dissenter was Clarence Thomas, who did not make a dissenting statement explaining or trying to justify his decision.

The Supreme Court’s action tonight is a victory for the rule of law and American democracy," Chair Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., and co-chair Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., said in a joint statement. "The Select Committee has already begun to receive records that the former President had hoped to keep hidden and we look forward to additional productions regarding this important information. Our work goes forward to uncover all the facts about the violence of January 6th and its causes."
Supreme Court paves way for Trump White House document review by Jan. 6 committee
It is good to know that the documents are already in the custody of the National Archives, that some records have already been transferred, and that nothing more can be done to prevent the Committee from learning the truth about the insurrection.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟548,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People like their privacy. I do. Most of us do.
I have nothing to hide in my "papers" or documents. Yet still, I do not want my documents released to anyone. Especially not an antagonistic prosecutor who wants to find something, anything, with which he can twist to make look criminal. Yes... they do that.
The democratically controlled congress is much more than a mere antagonistic prosecutor. We know what they will do. They have had it in for Trump since before day one. They will take, twist, infer, and "decode" every word they can find to make it look like he did something illegal. We know it. You know it. The press knows it. Yet we continue as if it is fair and legal.
Just another witch-hunt.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟246,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have nothing to hide in my "papers" or documents. Yet still, I do not want my documents released to anyone.

They aren't private documents. Unless releasing them compromised the security of the nation, they are free to be read by any American. Which you're going to have the opportunity of doing do.

Do you forgot who Trump was working for.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟178,523.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
People like their privacy. I do.
They are doing business on the peoples' time. We have a right to know what politicians say and do on our time, and our dime. Crimes were committed, and we have the right to know what the instigators were saying and doing. This is not about Democrats, this is about justice. Let's find out for the sake of 140 injured cops.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟676,551.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The lone dissenter was Clarence Thomas, who did not make a dissenting statement explaining or trying to justify his decision.
The fact that releasing documents is the prerogative of the current president only is obvious. The problem is that Clarence Thomas could not see the obvious. Is he really fit to be on the Supreme Court? But no one can judge a Supreme Court justice!

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟178,523.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,073,197.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
First we must remember that this is a bipartisan committee with two Republican members, one of whom often acts as spokesperson (Rep. Cheney).

Secondly, over 700 people have already been arrested, some convicted. The insurrection was significant enough to warrant a complete investigation to unearth exactly how and why it happened and who was involved. The papers the Court ordered released may not implicate President Trump, but they may implicate others in his administration who were working behind the scenes aiding the rioters.

President Trump has had many people who worked closely for him who have been indicted and convicted for their crimes--his attorney Michael Cohen, his campaign manager Paul Manafort, Trump organization CFO Allen Weisselberg. Did they take the rap for something their boss orchestrated, or were they so devoted to his causes that they acted independently on his behalf? So far the buck has stopped with them...and that may continue.

o

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟178,523.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
First we must remember that this is a bipartisan committee with two Republican members, one of whom often acts as spokesperson (Rep. Cheney).

Secondly, over 700 people have already been arrested, some convicted. The insurrection was significant enough to warrant a complete investigation to unearth exactly how and why it happened and who was involved. The papers the Court ordered released may not implicate President Trump, but they may implicate others in his administration who were working behind the scenes aiding the rioters.

President Trump has had many people who worked closely for him who have been indicted and convicted for their crimes--his attorney Michael Cohen, his campaign manager Paul Manafort, Trump organization CFO Allen Weisselberg. Did they take the rap for something their boss orchestrated, or were they so devoted to his causes that they acted independently on his behalf? So far the buck has stopped with them...and that may continue.

o
Michael Cohen now says it like it is. He was wrapped up in the 'charisma' and cash of Trump that they were willing to break the law for him, while Trump remained blameless. Cohen, Manafort and those others are weak minded people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟370,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thomas' wife already provided her own dissenting statement when she signed this letter claiming the rioters 'did nothing wrong'
Conservative Leaders: Remove Cheney and Kinzinger from House Republican Conference

There is something seriously wrong with these people.

Absolutely. It really is a sickness. The worst case of Covid-19 is a hangnail compared to the Trump-worship pandemic which has infected the Republican party. Apparently, anyone refusing to bow at the Donald's feet deserves to be banished. How did this happen? Democrats don't act this way towards Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema. (Or at least not in public.) The behavior of Republicans these days is repulsive.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟245,474.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The obvious question, which was 'why don't they want the records released?' looks like it will now be answered.
There isn't necessarily anything there. Their game is to run out the clock, in the assumption that they will win the House in the mid-terms and kill all of the investigations.
Then Hunter Biden on everything, Pelosi on why she didn't stop the insurrection, the FBI on were they orchestrating the insurrection, these will be the investigations after the mid-terms.
If Trump wins the 2024 then we can expect lots of federal investigations to be stopped, lots of pardons to be handed out.
But until then the game is to run out the clock, fight on everything, counter sue, make everything no matter how little or big go through the courts and the appeals system, drag it out.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟246,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There isn't necessarily anything there. Their game is to run out the clock, in the assumption that they will win the House in the mid-terms and kill all of the investigations.
Then Hunter Biden on everything, Pelosi on why she didn't stop the insurrection, the FBI on were they orchestrating the insurrection, these will be the investigations after the mid-terms.
If Trump wins the 2024 then we can expect lots of federal investigations to be stopped, lots of pardons to be handed out.
But until then the game is to run out the clock, fight on everything, counter sue, make everything no matter how little or big go through the courts and the appeals system, drag it out.

Maybe in some fantasy tin pot banana republic, sedition wouldn't be investigated to the fullest. But if Jan 6 was not investigated to the fullest extent then those responsible to do so would be failing not just the American people but the very concept of democracy itself.

That is happened was shamefull enough. That it could be suggested that every attempt to get the fullest picture possible as to why and how it happened should not be carried out is doubly shamefull.

And with a significant proportion of the country still believing that the election was stolen and the last incumbant still claiming he won despite dozens of court cases being thrown out, not for a lack of evidence but for having no evidence whatsoever, it's pretty rich to now say 'There's no need to investigate - there's nothing there'.

Those who were involved better seriously hope there's nothing there because if the hammer falls, it'll come down hard.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟245,474.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe in some fantasy tin pot banana republic, sedition wouldn't be investigated to the fullest. But if Jan 6 was not investigated to the fullest extent then those responsible to do so would be failing not just the American people but the very concept of democracy itself.
USA is very much becoming a banana republic. Primarily because of the Republican party and egged on by its supporters.

My outsiders view
From a world perspective the Democrat party are seen as perhaps slightly right leaning (with people ranging from far left to moderate left to moderate right) and the Republican party are as a whole far right (with people ranging from moderate right to far right to extreme right).
As such, the Democrat party fall somewhere in the norms of where the vast majority of the developed Western World is (typically Western countries toggle a little left or a little right depending on election outcomes but mostly stays moderate).
The USA Republican party fall outside the norm in comparison to other Western countries, their strong positions on guns, on abortion, on Christians right to discriminate, on climate change, on anti pandemic mitigations are not shared by the other Western countries. As such supporters of the Republican party might feel that the world is up against them, that world media is against them, so they might be feeling marginalised and persecuted.

It appears to me, since the introduction of Trump into politics (maybe it was happening before this IDK), but it seems that the Democrat party and supporters try to get their left stuff but also accommodate to the wider USA, the Republican party and supporters seem to be now focused on things that they know will irk the Democrats and will attract media attention, they seem to prioritise on highly political polarising stuff rather than on pressing national matters. And also the Republican party and their supporters seem to no longer care about having a functional system with consistent rules and constraints on both parties, as well has having no trust in elections or institutions anymore.

Given this Republican position, I feel the future of USA is completely in the hands of Republicans. The only reason why collusion with Russians was investigated is because Republicans owned upto, and insisted on the investigations, the only reason why the Ukraine call was addressed was because Republicans brought this up and testified, the only reason why Trump wasn't able to steal the 2020 election is because Republicans stopped him. The continuing democracy of USA is down to Republicans against Republicans. Most of them are willing to go so far but for some there is a line that they are not willing to go over.
But days of civility and ethics and gentlemen's agreements in USA politics are over, the Republican party and supporters do not appear to care about these things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have nothing to hide in my "papers" or documents. Yet still, I do not want my documents released to anyone. Especially not an antagonistic prosecutor who wants to find something, anything, with which he can twist to make look criminal. Yes... they do that.
The democratically controlled congress is much more than a mere antagonistic prosecutor. We know what they will do. They have had it in for Trump since before day one. They will take, twist, infer, and "decode" every word they can find to make it look like he did something illegal. We know it. You know it. The press knows it. Yet we continue as if it is fair and legal.
Just another witch-hunt.
The President is an elected official that has accountability for his/her actions.

You private stuff is not relevant unless you were involved in the sedition of January 6, 2021.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems Clarence has a different constitution than America's. He lives in another reality or something. I reckon that happens to those who aren't held accountable for their own behavior.
A poster would love to see what the results would look like if Justice Thomas were to take an MMPI.

Upvote 0