Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
are people allowed to ask questions or must they just sit there and listen?
You must sit there and listen.

When the sermon is over, and should you have questions, you can meet with the pastor afterward, and he'll be happy to accommodate you.

Upvote 0

bloomer

Oct 13, 2010
UK
✟442.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't recall being to any Church service where questions are asked.

Rather unfair to single out creationists.
I have never been to a church service so I wouldn't know, I said creationist because this is a creationist forum.
I have also never been to a synagog or a mosque.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Should I have questions??? I would have nothing but questions.
Then you can meet with the pastor afterward, and he'll be happy to accommodate you.

If you're talking about questions about creationism specifically, the chances of you dropping in and sitting through a sermon on creationism would be low, in my opinion.

It would be coincidental if you were to pick a church at random, go there, and hear a message on the creation event.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have to go to a website for theological answers why go to the church in the first place?
If your intent is to go and ask questions, then that's up to you.

Most go there to worship God.

Upvote 0

bloomer

Oct 13, 2010
UK
✟442.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand the purpose of this question. Churches are not discussion forums- they're podiums for pastors.
I forgot that, people only go to church if they already believe or are in need and want desperately to believe, they would have no need to ask questions would they? they are already convinced that what they are being told is true so it wouldn't even cross their minds to question it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I forgot that, people only go to church if they already believe or are in need and want desperately to believe, they would have no need to ask questions would they? they are already convinced that what they are being told is true so it wouldn't even cross their minds to question it.
That's not [totally] true, and you know it.

A youtube scientist, for instance, can spend a large part of his career explaining to others how God doesn't exist, until the "greatest day of his life" occurs -- then you'll see him putting on a show for his bride at an altar.

Conversely, a koine for instance, can spend a large part of his career believing what scientists say to them about God's [non-]existence, until the "greatest day of his life" occurs -- then you see him putting on a show for his bride at an altar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To my mind that has less to do with religion and more to do with the society we live in and will change with time.
The topic being addressed was "going to church".

I guess there is a difference between "going to church" and "going to a church" though.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
are people allowed to ask questions or must they just sit there and listen?

*blind post*

We were allowed to ask questions, but only the "right" ones if you know what I mean. Bad questions got "NO THAT'S BLASPHEMY SHUT UP SHUT UP NEXT QUESTION!!!".

Lol and that was when I was like 12.

Upvote 0
K

kharisym

Well, there's always a few outliers, but yes that pretty much sums it up. That's pretty much the gist for any religion, only those who already believe are normally at the services. Church acts as a means of reinforcing indoctrination and critical thinking is the antithesis of indoctrination, therefore you won't find a church that encourages critical thinking (might be an over-generalization, but I've never seen an example to refute this.)

Upvote 0