Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A shared ideology is more accurate. God is such a nebulous concept with so many definitions that basing anything on the generalized god archetype is ridiculous. Rather, I think by 'god' I think you mean 'their particular definition of god' which is part of their ideology.

No, I am not referring to an "ideology", I am referring to the God in which Salida and I both believe.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,859.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well, there's always a few outliers, but yes that pretty much sums it up. That's pretty much the gist for any religion, only those who already believe are normally at the services. Church acts as a means of reinforcing indoctrination and critical thinking is the antithesis of indoctrination, therefore you won't find a church that encourages critical thinking (might be an over-generalization, but I've never seen an example to refute this.)

I think you might be a bit unfair there. I've seen several Churches that encourage critical thinking, just not aboutthe question should I be a Christian. Instead it is how can I be a better Christian(person) or other questions about what they aught to do.

Is that so different from the vast majority of groups? Can you thnk of any group that keeps dwelling on if one should belong (at least as critical thought)?

Now there are also quite a few Churches that discourage critical thought abotu anything, at least among those in the pews.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How come you guys don't teach controversies in the Bible?
We settle controversies in the Bible mainly by saying that it was God's sovereign will that it happened.

God can see so much farther down the line than we can, and doing something that doesn't make [worldly] sense now can be easily explained in the world to come.

Imagine seeing a blind & deaf girl wandering down the railroad tracks toward an oncoming train.

What do you do? you "kidnap" her to save her life.

Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
We settle controversies in the Bible mainly by saying that it was God's sovereign will that it happened.

God can see so much farther down the line than we can, and doing something that doesn't make [worldly] sense now can be easily explained in the world to come.

Imagine seeing a blind & deaf girl wandering down the railroad tracks toward an oncoming train.

What do you do? you "kidnap" her to save her life.

I'm talking about controversies such as...

no one has ever seen a talking snake,

Noah's flood was physically impossible,

no one has ever seen a man made from dust or a woman made from ribs

How come you guys don't teach the controversies?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I don't understand what you're saying.
I'm talking about controversies such as...

no one has ever seen a talking snake,

Noah's flood was physically impossible,

no one has ever seen a man made from dust or a woman made from ribs

1. Eve saw a 'talking snake'.

2. The Flood being physically impossible is a no-brainer.

3. The angels saw Ada & Eve made.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Real churches teach the Holy Bible, so it shouldn't be difficult to figure out what would be taught about creation. They would teach the Genesis account of God's Creation. I say "real churches" because there are many these days that could care less what the Holy Bible teaches about anything. I don't consider those to be churches. The Holy Bible is God's Word, and this is the Authority on this subject from the Creator Himself.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Real churches teach the Holy Bible, so it shouldn't be difficult to figure out what would be taught about creation. They would teach the Genesis account of God's Creation. I say "real churches" because there are many these days that could care less what the Holy Bible teaches about anything. I don't consider those to be churches. The Holy Bible is God's Word, and this is the Authority on this subject from the Creator Himself.
:wave: -- Hey, Tom!

Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
I guess I don't understand what you're saying.

1. Eve saw a 'talking snake'.

2. The Flood being physically impossible is a no-brainer.

3. The angels saw Ada & Eve made.

1. There is no proof that eve existed

2. I'm glad that you agree that the flood was impossible

3. No one has ever seen angels before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mike Elphick

Not so new...
Oct 7, 2009
Nottingham, England
Visit site
✟8,749.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

The churches my family go to can't be "real churches" then.

Let me ask you, since the Bible was written by men, how did they manage to write the Word of God. What method would you propose God used?

Automatic writing theory The human author becomes possessed by God and loses consciousness of self, surrendering to the divine spirit and its communicatory powers.

Dictation theory The belief that the Holy Spirit pre-determined each word that the authors wrote. The "authors" were thus performing the function of a secretary.

Negative assistance theory The authors expressed their thoughts in their own style and words, while the Holy Spirit only intervened as needed.

Other theories
That the Holy Spirit provided the precise ideas, thoughts and concepts to the authors, who then wrote them down in their own words using their own writing style.

The authors were inspired by the Holy Spirit so that their normal powers of observation and writing were heightened. They were thus able to describe their religious thoughts with greater accuracy than normal, but not to the level of inerrancy.

That God did not directly inspire the writers of the Bible. The texts are not inerrant, but were written by authors with a "high degree of religious insight".

See Did the Holy Spirit inspire the Bible's authors? and Contemporary Problems in Biblical Interpretation

It will take a long time, if ever, for religious conservatives and liberals to reach a consensus over the inspiration of the Bible, but in the meantime my wife's church doesn't claim a monopoly of the Christian faith like yours. Why do you think that might be? (For the sake of the OP, I'm pretending to ask a question in a YECist church) :).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me ask you, since the Bible was written by men, how did they manage to write the Word of God. What method would you propose God used?
We call it verbal plenary inspiration.
It will take a long time, if ever, for religious conservatives and liberals to reach a consensus over the inspiration of the Bible...
It won't happen.

Churches today, even Baptist churches, are abandoning -- (not working toward a consensus) -- the doctrine of verbal plenary inspiration.

That's the difference between a fundamentalist and a modernist.

Upvote 0

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
are people allowed to ask questions or must they just sit there and listen?

First of all, what do you mean by 'Creationist Church'? Do you mean those that believe that God is the creator of Heaven and Earth? If so, nearly every church teaches and believes in a Creator god. Or, are you limiting your questions to just Young Earth Creationist?

In a church service their is no time to ask questions, you are there as a collective body to Worship God and share in the Sacraments. The opportunities to ask questions are in small group settings or otherwise bible study groups. That is where we grow in the understanding of how to apply the teachings of the bible in our every day life. It is often time as well to discuss questions we are faced with in our faith as Christians.

You are not likely going to hear too many sermons on the topic of Creation. For that mater, few bible studies will grapple with the issue of Creation as well. Most people desire to learn practical application of the teachings in the bible in their daily life. Regardless of how God created everything, all Christians are agreed that god is the Creator.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do, and how is it possible to externally distinguish it from a) Lies, or b) Auditory hallucination?
If you knew, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Only around 40 God-chosen men in all of history ever experienced it.

You're talking like it's still going on today.

Upvote 0