Impeachment Trial Of Donald Trump Underway. Discuss If You Want.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Its happening now.

Awful video re-visit of the events of Jan 6, which must have been very hard to sit through for those who were present at the event.

Complete evisceration of the notion that this impeachment is unconstitutional because Trump is now former pres.

Last edited:

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I still wonder if all the effort is really warranted. Sure they may bar him from future public office, but the likelihood of Trump winning another election is about as good as Hillary's.

If Trump has committed a crime, why not focus these efforts on criminally convicting him?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I still wonder if all the effort is really warranted. Sure they may bar him from future public office, but the likelihood of Trump winning another election is about as good as Hillary's.

If Trump has committed a crime, why not focus these efforts on criminally convicting him?
Impeachment and the subsequent trial is explicitly and deliberately not a criminal proceeding. I dont think Trump committed any ordinary crime, but I absolutely agree he deserves impeachment and conviction.

My only reservation about this has been about whether its preferable just to put the whole Trump experiment squarely in the rear view mirror. On balance tho, I think we need to set the precedent of accountability.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

If convicted by the Senate (and precluded from holding an office of public trust), then the criminal proceedings would not be as necessary.

Today’s argument seems to be “of course this is the correct thing to do!”
Tomorrow’s will show why, (the behind the scenes machinations to ensure that the Capitol was only lightly defended).

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Defense seems to be commencing a filibuster for some reason.
Seriously. 30 minutes in and he's only just now started to make some semblance of a point.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There has never been a more clear example of an impeachable offense by a sitting president. This case should be open and shut but thanks to the completely broken and totally bereft of any standards of law or decency in the politics of the right wing, he will undoubtedly walk away with an acquittal.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There has never been a more clear example of an impeachable offense by a sitting president. This case should be open and shut but thanks to the completely broken and totally bereft of any standards of law or decency in the politics of the right wing, he will undoubtedly walk away with an acquittal.

Neither side has controlled their extremists so...'offsetting penalties' are in order.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

If Trump committed a crime, that's for the US Attorney for the District of Columbia to pursue, which they haven't taken off the table IIRC. But Congress is empowered to act independently of the Executive branch, and would be doing the same thing if it had happened earlier in the President's term.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Neither side has controlled their extremists so...'offsetting penalties' are in order.
That means the guilty party can walk in this particular case? I don’t think that’s how our system works.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That means the guilty party can walk in this particular case? I don’t think that’s how our system works.

I haven't heard about the trials of those left wing extremists that wrought so much destruction last year.

• Winner
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If convicted by the Senate (and precluded from holding an office of public trust), then the criminal proceedings would not be as necessary.
Impeachment AND removal from office has nothing to do with criminal proceedings.

Of course criminal proceedings should be used regardless of removal from office or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The whole thing is overblown imo.
That’s why he’ll most certainly be acquitted. No one on the right wants to be responsible and hold their (former) president accountable and so there’s no incentive for their Senators to do the same.

Careful with the precedent you set.

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
None of them were of the President of the United States.

And none of them said, We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore” and they also didn't say, “We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.” No, that was Trump egging on his supporters.

Upvote 0