im very confused about tithing because.....

RRep

Jul 24, 2018
bc
✟8,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I understand what you are saying, I too have an uneasiness about preachers who seem to use their position to get people to give to their ministry, but I have also been to small churches where the pastor was paid little, if anything and in one where the doors ended being closed because the funds for things such as up keep on the building simply were not there. This was not because the people did not give (just like any church some did some didn't) but the congregation was small and the people had limited means. I'm not commenting on whether or not tithing is biblical, but I am saying that giving is. Just like a job is God's way of providing many of our needs-offerings given by the people is God's way of providing many of the needs of the church.
some people are starting home biblestudies:clap:

Upvote 0

RRep

Jul 24, 2018
bc
✟8,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:clap::thumbsup::clap::amen::clap::thumbsup::clap:

and those here that preach from the ' you must give 10%' crowd, well why dont you give more than that, in fact, if you want to take it and your faith a step further, take up your cross, and give away everything, cause actually thats what Jesus tells us to do.....so sell all your material possessions and give it all away, and then, trust God to provide for you..... "you should give 10%, its your duty", (in the meantime, im driving my new car, back to my nice warm cozy home, of which i really cant afford, i will then order my movie, stuff my face with some pizza delivery, and then get a full nights rest so i can get up and have an early start to my vacation, that i of course rightly deserve....well, ya i could have tithed all that too, but what fun would that be.????) shhhhhhh

give me a break^_^

well you still have a computer. I use mine to preach the gospel some times.

Luke 18

18 And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 19 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” 21 And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.” 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”23 But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. 24 Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” 27 But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” 28 And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” 29 And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers[b] or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, 30 who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Upvote 0

RRep

Jul 24, 2018
bc
✟8,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
s for me, ill continue handing out money to the beggar on the street, and will donate my time in the from of volunteering and be a friend to those in despair, and in doing that, at least i know im actually accomplishing something, other than supporting these so called "followers of Christ
would it be better if you also gave them the Good news of salvation. Giving help fine but they are still on there way to hell.

Upvote 0

RRep

Jul 24, 2018
bc
✟8,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How much they make in and of itself isn't necessarily the problem, how they choose to use it and the lifestyle they settle into with it is the true test of character. On the one hand you have pastors who have a wardrobe full of expensive Armani suits and a garage full of Bentleys, on the other there are pastors with substantial income who give it away and advocate help for the poor, oppressed and down trodden. A stark contrast to a message that says being a Christian warrants having whatever you want coupled with expensive clothes, big houses and cars with six-figure price tags.
And then we have the Vatican who take in billions put it in the world bank then lend it out to countries like the USA and demand interest on it. The roman empire did not fall.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And then we have the Vatican who take in billions put it in the world bank then lend it out to countries like the USA and demand interest on it. The roman empire did not fall.

You're responding to a post I made SIX YEARS AGO when I was a non-denominational Christian. I'm obviously no longer non-denominational and am not going to bother debating that in this sub-forum since it's against the rules.

Please do not direct any posts to me by quoting them anymore. Thanks.

Upvote 0

RRep

Jul 24, 2018
bc
✟8,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God's word says that one tenth of your increase is to be taken to the storehouse. I do this as an act of obedience.
:sleep:never never has God asked for obedience. The Adam and eve story was all about Belief. unbelief come before obedience.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
:sleep:never never has God asked for obedience. The Adam and eve story was all about Belief. unbelief come before obedience.
Someone should have told Abraham

Gen 26

Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws......

Not to mention Moses....

Deut 30 1When all these things come upon you—the blessings and curses I have set before you—and you call them to mind in all the nations to which the LORD your God has banished you, 2 and when you and your children return to the LORD your God and obey His voice with all your heart and all your soul according to everything I am giving you today, 3then He will restore you from captivity and have compassion on you and gather you from all the nations to which the LORD your God has scattered you.…

• Agree
Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0

RRep

Jul 24, 2018
bc
✟8,502.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Someone should have told Abraham

Gen 26

Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws......

Not to mention Moses....

Deut 30 1When all these things come upon you—the blessings and curses I have set before you—and you call them to mind in all the nations to which the LORD your God has banished you, 2 and when you and your children return to the LORD your God and obey His voice with all your heart and all your soul according to everything I am giving you today, 3then He will restore you from captivity and have compassion on you and gather you from all the nations to which the LORD your God has scattered you.…
didn't Abram and the Hebrews enter into an agreement with GOD? where as God told A and E not to eat. It has been belief from the beginning to the end That saves us and we are found Righteous. You can believe in Jesus and make a covenant with Him but I would not.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
if it is only between you and the lord then why tell us you put 4 dallars in. because it is all about you right
Of course not. That was probably 35 years ago or more. I was merely using an illustration.

How ridiculous for you to suggest otherwise. Like possibly I'm saying, "Hey look at me...I gave a whole $4!!! Woo Hoo"

If you have something substantive to say, I'm happy to listen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That scripture is talking about giving out the GOOD NEWS. wow Luke 19 the parable is the same thing. Jesus never said hide in a building he said go out.
He did. He told them to preach, teach, and heal, and to believe that their needs would be met: Matthew 10:
7“And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8“Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. 9“Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, 10or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support. 11“And whatever city or village you enter, inquire who is worthy in it, and stay at his house until you leave that city. 12“As you enter the house, give it your greeting. 13“If the house is worthy, give it your blessing of peace. But if it is not worthy, take back your blessing of peace. 14“Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. 15“Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At church a few weeks ago the pastor said...dont worry about paying your bills....tithe and god will bless you....he went on to tell a story about how he didnt pay a certain important bill and god blessed him with more money.........but i have a issue with that....what about if my baby(if i had one) needed diapers?....do i not buy diapers and tithe the last few dollars i have......i have researched the new testament and from what i find tithing is not required.....i think everyone should be giving.....but miss bills and not buy diapers or food? and god will bless u....why not pay your bills...buy the things you need to survive and take the extra and tithe that....give to a charity....a homeless person......am i wrong???? i need some input.:groupray:
This is a rather old post -hope you got it sorted out . its more and more known now that the teachings coercing the 10% tithe (tax) on people by the churches over the last 50 years have been very warped and twisted with motivations of debt to banks and greed by people :( .
and yes it is good and right and a must to GIVE .. but there is NO instruction saying give to the organisation that runs a building and music entertainment program on a sat OR sun .. but rather to give where you feel led to give and to keep doing so ..starting with a brother or sister in need ie the fatherless and widow and extending out from there . :)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was the output of one's labor, and today the output of our labor is money. Besides, what I'm saying is regardless of whether giving 10% is mandated under the New Covenant like it was in the old, we should still give, and 10% is what I believe most of us here in the west can either find a way to afford or work toward.

God does want cheerful givers, but 2 Corinthians 8:1-9 is why I disagree with your first statement. As far as I'm concerned, the generous Christians everywhere - especially those who don't have a lot - are good examples to be followed.

If they're giving to independent ministries and charities, very good. But if somebody makes that much money and still can't afford to give hardly anything, there's a problem. They need to take a Dave Ramsey or similar course like Good Sense to get their money under control and bring God's word into how they handle it.
:) might have to burst your bubble a bit .. our lives are not our own anymore -we have been purchased .. redeemed .. 100% is not enough to give .
be a good steward with all you have then :)
and as i said just earlier there is no command to give to a building organisation men started up .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God tells us to be wise and to seek wisdom. And I don't at all think God would tell us it is wise to put off buying our baby some diapers if needed, in order to tithe that money. But putting in an extra couple bucks and sacrificing something unnecessary, like a soda, a bracelet, or a premium coffee I believe are definitely something that makes more sense.
indeed ,it would be sinful to make ones child suffer in order to tithe ... but it would also be sinful to have more then we need and not give our excess to another IN need .

Upvote 0