Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Every person who calls missing Mass a mortal sin is at best misinformed and at worst a liar. Missing Mass on an HDO without just cause is grave matter, but it is not mortal sin. It is merely an ingredient required for a mortal sin to be on one's conscience.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have, on occasions, missed mass without being gravely ill, physically restrained from attending, or charged with the care of an infant or other dependent person but I am sure that it was not a mortal sin, and when confessed it was not regarded as a mortal sin.

I sometimes wonder why folk are so keen to discover mortal sins in other people's lives?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I was born and brought up Catholic and i don't feel that missing Mass condemns one to hell. It goes against everything I have read in the Gospel. we are no longer under the law. In fact I think it would be difficult to find a Priest who would state that missing mass condemns one to Hell.

Instead of getting caught up in legalities, focus on living out the Gospel. Christ says :
‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you noticed the large number of threads lately on hell? What terrible obsessions and scrupulosity people have!

I have also found in some of my searches that there are a lot of very young posters! One the other day said he was 14. That in itself, isn't problematic, but they are barely out of the womb, yet believe they are capable of teaching everyone else how to live and what to believe. It is very discouraging, and there is no rule that says they need to disclose their age. We need to be watchful.
Some of this is because hell is not talked about enough...so probably, this is an overcompensation...

But remember, that Jesus was 12 and teaching in the synagogue. The same attitude you have was focussed toward Him.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not this issue that bugs me. It's the super hardcore rhetoric that's used by many. It was just this post that bugged me this time.
Ya know, sometimes the truth hurts. It is a mortal sin to miss Mass. Period. Objectively speaking. But humanely, is it always possible to go to Mass? But it is also not for us to judge.

FWIW, I like priests who aren't afraid to tell it like it is, even if the truth hits too close to home (my own heart). A priest that challenges me to do better is one I will pay attention to!

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's a mortal sin to miss Mass if you with full knowledge, willfully choose not to attend Mass.

If it was your will to attend Mass, but circumstances prevented you from doing so, it's not a sin.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Root of Jesse said:
Some of this is because hell is not talked about enough...so probably, this is an overcompensation...

But remember, that Jesus was 12 and teaching in the synagogue. The same attitude you have was focussed toward Him.

Jesus is God. He had perfect knowledge. Normal kids are know-it-alls. I know I was.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Root of Jesse said:
Ya know, sometimes the truth hurts. It is a mortal sin to miss Mass. Period. Objectively speaking. But humanely, is it always possible to go to Mass? But it is also not for us to judge.

FWIW, I like priests who aren't afraid to tell it like it is, even if the truth hits too close to home (my own heart). A priest that challenges me to do better is one I will pay attention to!

It's not about missing mass. It's about charity. You can be right but say it in such a way it does no good. The quote in the op convinces no one of the sinfulness of missing mass but instead turns people off and hardens their hearts against the truth.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's a mortal sin to miss Mass if you with full knowledge, willfully choose not to attend Mass.

If it was your will to attend Mass, but circumstances prevented you from doing so, it's not a sin.

:thumbsup:

Perhaps you have to work (that's the case with plenty of doctors and nurses), or need to tend your sick child (that's the case with plenty of mothers and fathers), or are sick (plenty of your fellow parishioners will bless you for not "spreading it around"), or perhaps you are traveling and there isn't a church around for miles. Those are all reasons that attending Mass on Sunday is not a sin. My husband calls it "having a ox in the ditch" referring to the Bible.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
:thumbsup:

Perhaps you have to work (that's the case with plenty of doctors and nurses), or need to tend your sick child (that's the case with plenty of mothers and fathers), or are sick (plenty of your fellow parishioners will bless you for not "spreading it around"), or perhaps you are traveling and there isn't a church around for miles. Those are all reasons that attending Mass on Sunday is not a sin. My husband calls it "having a ox in the ditch" referring to the Bible.

Very true, as a nurse I often work on weekends and don't really feel bad about missing church on those Sundays but the thing is as a Catholic there is always a church somewhere having liturgy other days if the week we could attend, I rarely do this and that is why I feel guilty. Hopefully when my son is grown and I retire I'll pick up the slack but I really should make more of an effort of it now.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus is God. He had perfect knowledge. Normal kids are know-it-alls. I know I was.
Jesus is God, but they didn't know that. But when you listen to children speak, sometimes there's gems of wisdom that pop out of their mouths. I was a know-it-all until about 7 years ago...:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not about missing mass. It's about charity. You can be right but say it in such a way it does no good. The quote in the op convinces no one of the sinfulness of missing mass but instead turns people off and hardens their hearts against the truth.

I guess you'd throw out the speech at the beginning of Patton (the movie) because it's full of bluster and some bad words?

All I'm saying is to appreciate the message, even if you can't take the spirit with which it's given. Charity works both ways.

Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

LOL! Well if these babes taught with the authority and insight that Jesus taught, I would love to listen. As it is, they know not what they are talking about, for the most part. That is a very unfair characterization.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I guess you'd throw out the speech at the beginning of Patton (the movie) because it's full of bluster and some bad words?

All I'm saying is to appreciate the message, even if you can't take the spirit with which it's given. Charity works both ways.

I love that speech.

We're not at war with Protestants though, and Patton wasn't trying to give the "Catholic" point of view to anything. When you hold your self out as Catholic, or Christian for that matter, you are held to a much higher standard. That's because society is skeptical of the Church's claims and so looks for any excuse to be against us.

It's not about being nice, it's about not being a... donkey (you know...). An example: No one takes those the-end-is-near street preachers seriously. Not because the end isn't near, but because the messenger acts like a lunatic. Same sorta thing. If you're goal is to convince people that you're right, you have to have a decent presentation.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I love that speech.

We're not at war with Protestants though, and Patton wasn't trying to give the "Catholic" point of view to anything. When you hold your self out as Catholic, or Christian for that matter, you are held to a much higher standard. That's because society is skeptical of the Church's claims and so looks for any excuse to be against us.

It's not about being nice, it's about not being a... donkey (you know...). An example: No one takes those the-end-is-near street preachers seriously. Not because the end isn't near, but because the messenger acts like a lunatic. Same sorta thing. If you're goal is to convince people that you're right, you have to have a decent presentation.

Look, I'm not trying to say that those kinds of people don't irk me, too. There are ways to say things. The point I was making was to listen to the message of the message, and not worry about the huff and bluster, whoever it may be giving it. (My Mom couldn't get past Patton's 'sob''s and g-d's, and missed much of what he said in that speech)

I also don't believe I have to convince anyone of anything. That's the Holy Spirit's work. If I'm the instrument, Jesus says I'm not to worry about what (or how) to say it. I think it's best to remember that, when you point a finger at someone, it's good to remember that you have four pointed back at yourself.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Look, I'm not trying to say that those kinds of people don't irk me, too. There are ways to say things. The point I was making was to listen to the message of the message, and not worry about the huff and bluster, whoever it may be giving it. (My Mom couldn't get past Patton's 'sob''s and g-d's, and missed much of what he said in that speech)

I also don't believe I have to convince anyone of anything. That's the Holy Spirit's work. If I'm the instrument, Jesus says I'm not to worry about what (or how) to say it. I think it's best to remember that, when you point a finger at someone, it's good to remember that you have four pointed back at yourself.

You only point three back at yourself, one only has four fingers on each hand, unless something unusual happened to your hand, and one thumb, which would normally point, more or less, up ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.